hard drive question

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

hard drive question

Post by Chidoro »

I started getting an 'error detected' message on my hd about a week ago. It started happening when I was trying to run a backup to my external drive. Then it went away for about a week but ever since my computer restarted last night due to the ms patch push, it has been doing it again.

I already bought a new 1 TB barracuda drive (same size as my old drive, didn't have much of a choice) internal drive, but will I lose all of my registries by just doing a backup? Can I mirror the drive and set the new drive as the goto drive in the bios on startup? I was directed towards Acronis but I'm not sure if True Image 2012 is a good idea or if Migrate Easy 7.0 would be best (or if there's a better solution altogether).
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/

Kinda pissed about this, never had a HD problem before and I have active drives over 10 years of age.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: hard drive question

Post by Leonaerd »

I don't know much about hard drives, but I can't imagine you'd lose all your registries by doing a backup. I suppose it could depend on the nature of the errors you're taking.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

A full backup with Acronis will restore on the new drive just the way it is, or you can migrate it with the same result. Did the same thing recently upgrading to a 2Tb drive. You don't lose anything, comes back just as it was before.

When you're getting that sort of error your life is generally limited on the old drive.

Co-worker was getting disk errors a couple weeks ago, a trip down to IT and a virus scrub took care of his.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Thanks. It took a bit of time because there were a lot of bad sectors during the cloning but everything looks to be in order this morning. Really impressed with the acronis and I'm glad I did it quickly per the severity eluded to here.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Acronis is pretty badass.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

For cloning/imaging activities I use Macrium Reflect. It's free!

Also... Seagate sucks.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

From the ratings on newegg, all HD mfgs are having quality issues post-flood, WD included.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt