Misfits (UK Series)

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Misfits (UK Series)

Post by Winnow »

This might be the best low budget paranormal series you've never seen or maybe even heard of. I was looking for something to watch on Sunday, browsing down the latest releases on a torrent type release list. I noticed the Misfits, latest season 3 episode. I never heard of it so read a little about it. It still didn't look that interesting but I found a nice HD version on the newsgroups of Season One, Episode One and gave it a go.

From Wiki:
Misfits is a British science fiction comedy-drama television series about a group of young offenders forced to work in a community service programme, where they obtain supernatural powers after a strange electrical storm. The first series started broadcasting on 12 November 2009 on E4, and was produced by Clerkenwell Films. The show aired in Australia in 2010 on ABC2. In June 2011, it was made available online in the United States via Hulu,[1] where it became one of the service's most-watched series
Maybe some Euros know about it but according to the above blurb, only Hulu + peeps in the US could see it starting in June of 2011.

The series starts out a little cheesy with the initial freak storm that gives early 20's community service workers their powers. The show is really all about character development with little special effects so don't worry so much about that. The rest of the time it takes place mostly in a run down building.

People complain (me included) about TV series not taking time to develop and no continuity between episodes. Episodes of Misfits are about 43 minutes in length without commercials and you really need three full episodes of character development before the payoff in episodes 4-6. It's asking a lot to stick with a series for that long but you'll be rewarded with some great shows in the latter half because of all the development in the first 3 shows. It's not that the first three or bad, more like the last three of season one are great because of them.

The most talkative of the five delinquents has no apparent powers. The rest of the bunch have powers they don't like or can't control well. They're pretty much fuck ups and not very likeable initially which is why taking three full episodes to flesh out the characters is so important in this series. Even early on, in episode two, among the crazy shit that's happening, there are some touching moments that you don't expect thrown in. At the same time, they never break character so while something might be happening that emotionally pulls at you one way, you still might end up laughing despite it due to the character's reactions.

If you stick with it through three episodes, episode 4 provides one of the best time travel series of events I've seen. It's time travel with consequences and at the same time, this episode introduces you to the characters right before they got in trouble and were sentenced to community service.

The first season is only 6 episodes long and the story builds straight through. It's the Anti Terra Nova although there are some elements contained within a single episode, I don't think you'd really enjoy any of them much without watching from the start of the series.

It's all hardcore British street accents and there's even making fun of a girl that they can't understand due to her harsh accent but there's never a point where you can't understand what's going on.

While the show features paranormal happenings, it's more about the people. Their budget on this show had to be very low which makes it all the more impressive.

I watched all six episodes over the past two nights. 3 Sunday and 3 today. I laughed out loud several times while watching this. (means there's some witty stuff as I don't give up the vocals often)

Highly recommended for something to watch if you like character development.

Hardest part is finding where to get the shows.

If you have newsgroup access and a search, you can find a high quality set posted 36 days ago (as of this post) in alt.binaries.multimedia:

(????) - "avchd-misfits-s01e01-720p-bluray"
(????) - "avchd-misfits-s01e02-720p-bluray"
(????) - "avchd-misfits-s01e03-720p-bluray"
(????) - "avchd-misfits-s01e04-720p-bluray"
(????) - "avchd-misfits-s01e05-720p-bluray"
(????) - "avchd-misfits-s01e06-720p-bluray"

They're about 2 GB files and HD.

Demonoid has the series well seeded for Seasons One and Two but they are the 349mb files for 43 min episodes which = pretty bad quality, not something I'd want to watch on a big screen.

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2564064/21340540/

I'd highly recommend the HD versions over those though. I only downloaded one episode but after about 30 mins of watching I grabbed the rest.

For anyone that likes a little anti heroe drama with some humor thrown in, keep this series in mind if you find a way to watch it. I doubt many have premium subs to Hulu so that means torrents or newsgroups for now. If you're in the UK, you can watch the shows online here:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/misfits/4od#3018432 (works with a UK VPN IP, just tried it)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Misfits (UK Series)

Post by Aslanna »

I watched Season One and Two when they aired.. Season 3 started not that long ago but I haven't watched them yet although I guess one of the characters left. It's not the best show out there but it kept me entertained. I thought the "horny power" (or whatever) was pretty stupid though.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Im watching it too, and seriously enjoying it.
Some of the chars was pissing me off at the start, but they all grow on you. I could have killed the white girl at the start, but shes pretty cool by now, after you got used to her :)

A higly recommended series if you like british humor...and unlike Heroes, it didnt start to majorly suck halfway through season 2 :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote: A higly recommended series if you like british humor...and unlike Heroes, it didnt start to majorly suck halfway through season 2 :)
After watching the first 5 episodes of season two, I can confirm this. The show actually improves in the second season. It also seems like the budget for the show was increased as well for season two.

So, I've learned that UK peeps say, "are you taking a piss" quite often.

Good show. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of the series.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Seasons One and Two were excellent. I'm not so sure about season Three after watching the first episode. Losing the main character might be too much to overcome.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:Seasons One and Two were excellent. I'm not so sure about season Three after watching the first episode. Losing the main character might be too much to overcome.
Yep, the new "main" character is a bloody idiot, if you think the white girl was irritating, try him :) They do get bonus for gender changing powers, and kicking Hitler though :)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I might just consider this a two season show and not bother with the third. I thought it wrapped up fairly well after #2 from what I remember... Althou8gh that isn't much to be honest.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I watched season 3 episode 2...WTF? Awkward!

The guy that replaced the main character was a complete casting miss. He sucks, but despite him, the second gender bending episode is worth seeing. It was uncomfortable to watch. Some weird ass shit goes on in this series.

I'll keep watching at least another episode!
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:I watched season 3 episode 2...WTF? Awkward!

The guy that replaced the main character was a complete casting miss. He sucks, but despite him, the second gender bending episode is worth seeing. It was uncomfortable to watch. Some weird ass shit goes on in this series.

I'll keep watching at least another episode!
Yep, the gender bending is a lot of fun :)....and stay on, after all, its not in every show you get to see people kick Hitler :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote:and stay on, after all, its not in every show you get to see people kick Hitler :)
Ha! Fucking Nazis!

The Hitler episode was good.

So, season 3 is turning out to be OK if you can ignore the new character. I wonder if they received enough feedback about him sucking that he doesn't come back for season 4.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

It's wierd, I liked Nathan but I wouldn't call him "the main character".

Similarly I don't expect his replacement to hold up the show either, it's very much an ensemble cast.. that said, I didn't like him either, but you get used to him over time..
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I finally got around to start watching Series 3. Only two episodes in so far but doesn't seem bad. Series 4 will be starting in a month or so but it looks like only 1 character from the original cast will be there so will have to see how it goes. And Rudy (the annoying guy that replaced Nathan) will be back. Everyone else took a hike!
On 7 March 2012, it was announced that, in a deal between Clerkenwell Films and Fake Empire, Josh Schwartz (Gossip Girl, The O.C.,Chuck) has co-written an American pilot of Misfits with Howard Overman. Production is anticipated in 2012/early 2013
Bah. That wont end well!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't think it's been mentioned yet but the Misfits UK is available on Netflix now for easy viewing if you want to check out the whackiness. (at least in the US it's available now)

Edit: I must have been smoking crack. This isn't available for online viewing in the U.S. with Netflix.