Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

DVD Backups

Post by Siji »

I've been completely out of the realm of backing up DVD movies for like 6 years now. Back then I was using anydvd, dvddecrypter and dvd rebuilder pro to make nice backups. Now that I have kids who are like the sworn enemies of a clean DVD, I've decided it's time to start making backups of all the overpriced kids movies I'm forced to buy. I've probably got 20 disks I paid for which are unusable now due to children.

So what's everyone using these days to get the job done?

I prefer whatever it is to have the ability for me to remove all the extras, menus, etc and just go directly to the movie and preferably have it auto-loop if possible. You have no idea how annoying trying to work the kids dvd player behind the headrest in my car is when there's a dumb ass kids movie with 3 levels of menus and choices to go through. I still own anydvd (lifetime registration!) so I'm pretty set for getting around disk protection. I also have no interest in blu-ray copying, this is just straight up DVDs. Needs to be able to take a DVD9 and compress it (with decent quality) to a DVD5. That's what DVD Rebuilder used to be fantastic with. Oh, and no dumb ass watermarking on the copy.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: DVD Backups

Post by Fairweather Pure »

http://veeshanvault.org/forums/viewtopi ... 11&t=25389

That's still what I use and at the same settings, so it's still current and relevant. I have 1500 movies ripped and streamable to ipad/iphones, xboxes, and my PS3.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

I still use dvdshrink for most DVDs directly, or if they've got some new protection I rip the DVD9 with dvdfab, mount that, then rip it again with dvdshrink to make a DVD5.

I don't think it does looping, but it does allow you to rip just the movie, which autostarts, and stops to black screen.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Can someone explain the difference between DVD5 and DVD9. I notice that when I am setting up to rip a movie with DVDFAB it defaults to 5 but the quality is usually around 65% but if I switch it to DVD9 it gives it 100% quality. Granted the size difference is larger with 9 than 5 but right now I can handle that for the better quality.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

DVD5 is a single layer disc (4.37 GiB)
DVD9 is double layer disc (7.92 GiB)
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I still use dvdshrink & dvdecryptor. DVDFab for when there is some fancy smancy antipiracy thing on the disk that hangs up dvdshrink.

That's it...still going strong 6 years later with that combo.