E3 - 2011

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

E3 - 2011

Post by Aslanna »

It's getting close to that time of year again.. Other than the Wii HD (or Wii 2) I wonder what will be announced. I doubt any new hardware from Sony or Microsoft except maybe more NGP which has already been announced.

Guessing iPhone5 as well?
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: E3 - 2011

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Nintendo will show Project Cafe. MS has a slew of games and a bunch of new IPs for Kinect (barf). Sony will have NGP and the HD PSP announcement for PS3 and also a bunch of games.

I think it will be a good E3 this year. Lots of things I am interested to hear more about.

I cannot imagine iPhone 5 being announced at E3. Apple will create it's own event for that. I wish they would hurry the fuck up already. My wife and I are both itching for an upgrade.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:I cannot imagine iPhone 5 being announced at E3. Apple will create it's own event for that. I wish they would hurry the fuck up already. My wife and I are both itching for an upgrade.
Yeah not sure when they typically do it. I just notice that they usually release the next generation in late June... No idea when they announce them as I haven't really followed them before. I think I'm actually going to jump on the smartphone bandwagon when they do since I'm paying nearly $50 a month for a landline that is no longer required with U-Verse.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Hmm, I wonder if they've been counting my VOIP as a landline...

E3 has just felt too bloated in recent years. I don't think that a "slow" year would be a bad thing.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Boogahz wrote:Hmm, I wonder if they've been counting my VOIP as a landline...
Probably not. I still have an actual landline not the voip. Kept it since I used to have DSL and it was required at least a couple years ago.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Whatever you do, don't get an android phone. It's been a nightmare trying to help a friend get anything to work in the background with that thing. Force closes, etc.

iPhone "just works" is so true. Your phone is not something you want to fight or tinker with to get to work

Android blows ass (for the time being) Even Funk got an iPhone after Android.

Android really has been a pain in the ass. Junk apps.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

New Old Republic Trailer for E3:

http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6316714/

I'm willing to ignore that last gen avatar looks if game play, quests, character development, etc are entertaining.

I'm curious how those space battles will be. Could be nice addition to the game, more arcadish than EVE space battles.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

The best part about Star Wars are the long corridors and high ceilings.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Anything Star Wars sucks.

Microsoft is currently giving one of the most underwhelming E3 press conferences in history. Unless they have something up their sleeve yet, Sony is going to outshine them even with their massive fuckup still lingering in the air.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Aside from Kinect, it seems like MS has been coasting for the past year.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Aside from Move (which they basically just stole from Nintendo), it seems like Sony has been coasting for the past year.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Neither one of them has much to announce as far as new technology/features go for their home consoles, so this year it comes down to exclusives, and Sony definitely has the upper hand there this year.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:Aside from Move (which they basically just stole from Nintendo), it seems like Sony has been coasting for the past year.
I guess the NGP, Playstation Phones, tons of top shelf exclusives, heavy push for 3D (and rebuilding their swiss-cheese security) could be called coasting. :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I wouldn't call the heavy push for 3D coasting, I'd call it a utter waste of fucking time. Pretty sure 3D technology as it stands is going to go the way of the HD-DVD.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Coming this fall:
Microsoft brings live TV to XBL

In other news, underdog Miir stirs pot for attention. Wait, that's not news.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

YouTube will be available on Xbox Live
I can't wait until I can watch youtube videos on my PS3!!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:I guess the NGP, Playstation Phones, tons of top shelf exclusives, heavy push for 3D (and rebuilding their swiss-cheese security) could be called coasting. :)
Pretty much.

I don't give a shit about exclusives, perosnally. I own all three consoles so for me it's a non-issue.

Push for 3D lol... Trying to get people to pay for overpriced gimmicky crap is more like it. If I want 3D I'll go outside.

Playstation phone.. Really? That will probably end up being more fail than the Go.

NGP is alright so I'll give them that. It's more evolution though than innovation. Take an esiting PSP, add another analog stick, dump the UMD (which they already did with the Go), increase processing and memory and add touch-screen abilities. Not exactly cutting edge stuff really.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fuck of a lot more than what Microsoft has been up to...

Seriously... you can use your xbox to watch TV on your TV?
EARTHSHATTERING!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It's quite earth-shattering for those of us (like me) who don't pony up the dough for cable / satellite TV due to lack of interest. It will be nice to see some shows now and again.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Fuck of a lot more than what Microsoft has been up to...
I am not sure how that is relevant. But ok!

I still think they've been coasting.. Whether or not Microsoft also is coasting or not wasn't my point. Most of that stuff you listed didn't really require much effort. I mean exclusives? Give a company some money... Maybe provide some developer supprt.. Done. Whoa that was hard!

And it's funny you mention them rebuilding their security.. Even further proof of their 'coasting' ways.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Leonaerd wrote:It's quite earth-shattering for those of us (like me) who don't pony up the dough for cable / satellite TV due to lack of interest. It will be nice to see some shows now and again.
Assuming you'll be able to use this service, at a reasonable price, without having to get any kind of cable/satellite service, yes I can see this potentially being a very awesome feature for a lot of people (myself included). More and more people are cancelling their cable/satellite to go with stuff like this instead, so this could be huge for MS. That being said, I see the use for me being very limited unless they can get Showtime/HBO on board, which I doubt.

It's funny the various tv channels don't want to go with stuff like Netflix because they think it would hurt their subscriber base, to be honest... I'd have to imagine the amount of people like me that would pay for a service where I could just get the stuff I wanted, instead of just downloading a torrent of it and giving them absolutely zero money, would offset the few subscribers they'd lose.. But who knows.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Funk wrote:I'd have to imagine the amount of people like me that would pay for a service where I could just get the stuff I wanted
Right? Just another bridge between present and future, a la Microsoft.

And because quoting Miir is fun:
Miir wrote:Seriously... you can use your xbox to watch TV on your TV?
EARTHSHATTERING!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

It's quite earth-shattering for those of us (like me) who don't pony up the dough for cable / satellite TV due to lack of interest.
Well you have a fucking PC and the internet... hook it up to your TV and viola! You can watch TV on your TV.

Shit like this has been available for years.
Streaming TV shows from the internet is not even remotely noteworthy.... but I guess for brain-dead xbox fanboys it is.
I still don't understand why the xbox is the only console that doesn't even have a fucking web browser.

You know MS is going to require Live Gold to access it and the content providers (like HBO/Showtime) will probably have additional charges for their premium content.

You guys are fucking morons.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

The only reason I would use something like this would be for reliability and to take a tiny piece of weight off my conscience knowing that I'm legally watching the shows I like. So tell me, without having cable service at all, how do I legally stream HBO/Showtime on my PC?

If you can't provide me with an example, then I guess something like this still would have a good use for me (assuming it's priced fairly), and I'm not a moron :D

P.S. Having a web browser on a console is stupid, not once have I used it on my PS3 or Wii. I have a phone, iPad, and desktop computer that are much better suited for any internet browsing I want to do.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I know that HBOGo.com asks for your service provider, but it has been so long since I had to actually log in that I can't remember if it ever asked for any kind of verification. I thought it would just look at where you were accessing it from, but it asks for the provider every time. MAXGo.com is out there too. Haven't seen a Showtime equiv.

This all reminds me that I should go ahead and set my 360 up as a Uverse box. Can this be done on the ps3 as well? No, not trolling, just curious.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:You know MS is going to require Live Gold to access it and the content providers (like HBO/Showtime) will probably have additional charges for their premium content.

You guys are fucking morons.
Live Gold is cheap over a year. Get over it already. I don't think it really keeps most people away except maybe PS3 people who think everything should be free despite Sony trying to get as much money off people as possible as well for their premium content (aka PSN+). They consider some demos to be premium content for fuck sake (although MS probably does this as well). I can see an early beta perhaps but hiding a demo behind paid content really defeats the purpose of a demo which is to get it exposed to as many people as possible and increase sales.

And really.. People web browse with consoles? I'd imagine the percentage is pretty small.

Yeah.. WE'RE the morons. Classic miir.

(anyway.. This belongs in a different thread.. Stop derailing!)

--
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I have both systems and the only feature listed here that I will use is the live TV on the xbox. I also do not have cable and my computer is nowhere close to my tv so this will be a very nice addition. Not trying to make any wide ranging statements about the entire market, but it is nice for me.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Back on topic.. I haven't really followed the goings on since I was at work and all.. But Overstrike looks like it could be interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2TNLL5oYwk
Overstrike is a four-player cooperative action game featuring a team of elite agents called Overstrike 9. Comprised of an ex-mercenary, a lifelong thief, a gifted young scientist and a decorated detective, the members of Overstrike 9 are considered outcasts within their own organization, but are the best team suited to stop a global terrorist group from attempting to wipe out humankind. Overstrike 9 uses lethal teamwork and an arsenal of fringe-tech gadgets to infiltrate and destroy enemy strongholds. Overstrike marks Insomniac's first multiplatform release and will be available on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.
Should be interesting to see how close the two platforms are considering Insomniac has been a PlayStation only shop since like.. forever.

--
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Funkmasterr wrote:I wouldn't call the heavy push for 3D coasting, I'd call it a utter waste of fucking time. Pretty sure 3D technology as it stands is going to go the way of the HD-DVD.

As long as there is a requirement for glasses, not to mention the need to upgrade your receiver to the next HDMI standard, I completely agree. However, I do hope the fad trundles along in order to drive the prices of regular LED TVs down. Yay for fucking 3D in that regard!

---
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:I wouldn't call the heavy push for 3D coasting, I'd call it a utter waste of fucking time. Pretty sure 3D technology as it stands is going to go the way of the HD-DVD.

As long as there is a requirement for glasses, not to mention the need to upgrade your receiver to the next HDMI standard, I completely agree. However, I do hope the fad trundles along in order to drive the prices of regular LED TVs down. Yay for fucking 3D in that regard!

---
Yeah that's what I think too basically. If they can make it as good or better without glasses, without the strain on your eyes, and without the need to upgrade all your damn hardware, they might be onto something.

I'll also be happy to see it drive led's down faster, then I might get one sooner than expected :)

Back on topic, the MS press conference sucked. Halo 4 can bite my bag, and to be honest I can't see it doing as well as past installments being it's not a bungie game.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Live Gold is cheap over a year.
The price is not the point.
Requiring people to subscribe to a paid service to access a different paid services is ridiculous.
They consider some demos to be premium content for fuck sake
They got that idea from Microsoft.
People web browse with consoles?
My point is that it's been possible to stream video content on the PS3 through it's web browser fro years.
That's why this announcement by Microsoft is a just a sad joke.

It's just embarrassing how some people buy into this MS and Apple marketing bullshit.
They are just repackaging streaming, web based video content (that's been around for years) and trying to sell it as something new to stupid box fanboys.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Avestan wrote:the only feature listed here that I will use is the live TV on the xbox
It's not live TV... It's 'Live' TV.
As in Xbox Live.
It's basically streaming TV shows to your xbox from sites like Youtube, NBC, HBO, etc.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Requiring people to subscribe to a paid service to access a different paid services is ridiculous.
So like paying for HBO when you already pay for cable? Got it!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:So like paying for HBO when you already pay for cable? Got it!
Xbox live is a service completely unrelated to cable content providers.
Cable TV service is a pretty a pretty integral part of cable TV content
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Winnow wrote:So like paying for HBO when you already pay for cable? Got it!
Xbox live is a service completely unrelated to cable content providers.
Cable TV service is a pretty a pretty integral part of cable TV content

Cable is like Live. You can use OTA (Over the Air) or a DVR, etc to get your entertainment. Cable is a service for your TV. HBO is a premium service on top of a service. You don't need Live to use your 360. Don't need Cable to use your TV.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Are you drunk?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Nothing too surprising with the Sony event.

I like the 3D TV/Resistance 3 bundle for $499 is pretty interesting.
Uncharted 3 looks like it's gonna be fantastic.
The cross-platform PS3/Vita titles is a cool idea.

They nailed the price point for the Vita. Nintendo's days of portable console domination look to be over.
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Anyone got a link for the Sony-part of E3?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

I find the blatant polarization of opinion fascinating.

Some cognitive scientist should write a disertation on the two of you and relate it to the state of American politics today.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Winnow made so much sense that it blew Miir's mind and confused him.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Nothing too surprising with the Sony event.

I like the 3D TV/Resistance 3 bundle for $499 is pretty interesting.
Uncharted 3 looks like it's gonna be fantastic.
The cross-platform PS3/Vita titles is a cool idea.

They nailed the price point for the Vita. Nintendo's days of portable console domination look to be over.

Doubtful. Nintendo is still going to appeal more to the Japanese crowd and the Wii crowd elsewhere in the world/young kids. Not to mention the Wii U integrates with the 3DS in the same fashion . Guess We'll see.

That being said, Nintendo just totally shit on Sony and MS as far as E3 goes. The new Wii U (really stupid fucking name), looks pretty cool actually, if third party software developers seem optimistic about it, it'll probably be a release purchase for me. That's really the key though, that killed the Wii for top shelf third party games, was difficulty for developers. Hopefully being as a lot of the motion control shit seems to be gone from the new Wii, that will go away.

Basically, if that comes out next fall, Nintendo will have a minimum of a year lead on Sony/MS in which they will create absurd supply/demand issues like they did with the Wii, and continue to molest them both in sales. Granted, when the new Sony/MS consoles do come out, they are most likely going to be far technically superior to the Wii, and will still be better suited to the hardcore gamer... However, that still doesn't take away the 1-2 years that Nintendo will go strong...

I'd imagine Sony and MS are kinda sweating right now, however I hope they don't try to ride Nintendo's dick so hard next generation and just make great consoles aimed at the hardcore crowd.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Doubtful. Nintendo is still going to appeal more to the Japanese crowd and the Wii crowd elsewhere in the world/young kids
The PSP was nearly double the price of the DS at release.
The PSPs biggest complaint was that it was too expensive but it still went on to sell nearly 70 million units.
Pricing the Vita to match the 3DS is very smart.

The 3DS had a lacklustre launch and now it's moving fewer units than the PSP.
There's been few 3DS games to even break the top 10 and Zelda is the only AAA 3DS title coming out in the near future.
Vita launch titles include Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, F1 2011, Ridge Racer and Call of Duty.

Aggressive pricing and a a bunch of big name release titles is going give the Vita a huge boost over the 3DS.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Doubtful. Nintendo is still going to appeal more to the Japanese crowd and the Wii crowd elsewhere in the world/young kids
The PSP was nearly double the price of the DS at release.
The PSPs biggest complaint was that it was too expensive but it still went on to sell nearly 70 million units.
Pricing the Vita to match the 3DS is very smart.

The 3DS had a lacklustre launch and now it's moving fewer units than the PSP.
There's been few 3DS games to even break the top 10 and Zelda is the only AAA 3DS title coming out in the near future.
Vita launch titles include Uncharted, Killzone, Little Big Planet, F1 2011, Ridge Racer and Call of Duty.

Aggressive pricing and a a bunch of big name release titles is going give the Vita a huge boost over the 3DS.
To the right crowd, but I think you're overestimating that crowd. The 3DS is still going to appeal to a larger audience overall, particularly with it's capabilities relating to the Wii U. All of the people that bought a Wii that have no damn clue what a Playstation even is are almost assuredly going to buy a Wii U, and them or their kids are that much more likely to get a 3DS as a result. I'm not saying the 3DS is better or that it's games are better, don't get me wrong. If I were going to buy one of the new generation portables (I likely won't), it would probably be the Vita.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The DS dominated the handheld market because it had the most/best games and the best price.
The 3DS no longer has the best price and looks like it will lag behind the Vita in games.

All of the people that bought a Wii that have no damn clue what a Playstation even is are almost assuredly going to buy a Wii U, and them or their kids are that much more likely to get a 3DS as a result.
Of the top 10 selling consoles, 4 are branded Playstation.
Do you really think anyone who plays video games would not know the Playstation brand?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I don't see how any of that negates what I'm saying. There.is.no.fucking.way.the.wii.crowd.is.going.to.switch.to.sony.ever.ever.ever. It's not going to happen. And that's a fuckton of people we're talking about.

Most of the people I know that own only the Wii, know OF the other consoles but would never even consider getting one of them. The Wii is video games to them, and that's how it will remain. These people don't give a shit about the quality of games... They like that it has Mario and Zelda, which they have fond memories of playing when they first came out when they were in their 20s and 30s, and they like the stupid party games. It's people like us that Sony is going to win over with price/quality of software, and we aren't the majority in the post-Wii world.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

What makes you think that the 'Wii crowd' will have that much effect on this generations handheld console market?
The Wii has had less impact than than PS and PS2... Sure it made significant inroads in the NA market but overall I don't think its the juggernaut you seem to think it is.
It's still 18 mil short of the PS1 and nowhere near the PS2.
And the PS sales were from when the video game console market was considerably smaller than it is now.

It has the lowest attach rate and people play their Wii a lot less than people play their 360 and PS3.

It's people like us that Sony is going to win over with price/quality of software
I think you're underestimating the power quality games have to move consoles.
Just look at what Halo and Gears of War did for the 360 :D
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I was underwhelmed by all 3 frankly.

Nintendo does nothing for me. Microsoft I generally enjoyed their presser. Solid game demos, the new dash, bing voice search and some really interesting Kinect implementations are all good imo.

Sony I missed due to being in a plane from Halifax to Ottawa and then having to drive home. I'm rather pissed at that one. From what I caught it looks like they aren't over the montage fetish yet..
I'm really interested in the Vita and agree with Miir that they nailed the price perfectly for the WiFi version. There looks to be a ton of appeal to that device and I'm most likely going to get one.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

playing Killzone3 in 3D is a fucking blast. I thought 3dtv's where a gimmick, but holy shit I'm reformed. I hate the glasses, its lame, but it just works. Simply works. My TV came with glasses and all that shit cause I would have never ponied out money for them, that's for sure, and that's the biggest reason it isn't taking off, the initial costs are unfair to the consumer, IMO. Anyways, was just reading all that hate and wanted to contrast the comments on 3D gaming, cause its the cats ass.

also, its the same hdmi cable box that I've always had that plays the 3D content from comcast and hbo just fine.

Since all nice 1080p TV's now a days have 3D built in, its going to be hard to not get 3D. If the glasses are in the box with the TV, like mine were, you wouldn't be saying that its shit, that much I can say because I have experience with 3D tv and gaming and bluray...its way different at home vs. the setup at BestBuy.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:I was underwhelmed by all 3 frankly.

Nintendo does nothing for me. Microsoft I generally enjoyed their presser. Solid game demos, the new dash, bing voice search and some really interesting Kinect implementations are all good imo.

Sony I missed due to being in a plane from Halifax to Ottawa and then having to drive home. I'm rather pissed at that one. From what I caught it looks like they aren't over the montage fetish yet..
I'm really interested in the Vita and agree with Miir that they nailed the price perfectly for the WiFi version. There looks to be a ton of appeal to that device and I'm most likely going to get one.
Bing is fucking trash. They should put their pride down, admit google is and always will be the better search engine, and pay hem royalties to integrate that into the 360 instead, IMO.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Watching Nintendo E3 presentation and it's putting me to sleep. New system looks interesting but no thanks to the presentation.

At least in another year they'll have a current gen system that actually plays HD games...6 years late to the party. Nice that they actually decided to start paying attention to hardcore games.

Will check out the PS3 portable thingy next.