Yakuza 3 (and soon 4) PS3

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Yakuza 3 (and soon 4) PS3

Post by Winnow »

I've been playing Yakuza 3 and have been enjoying it quite a bit.

There is quite a story behind it. If you're into Japanese culture, this is a can't miss title. If you're into games along the line of GTA (not the driving part), that have an immersive world with lots of cut scenes for the storyline, Yakuza 3 is for you.

Couple things I really like about Yakuza 3:

1. I like the world. I've never been to Japan but the cities and countryside sure make me feel like I'm in Japan. They look nothing like a U.S. city. There a lot of details to the envirnment. Lots of unique items. You'll notice the same people walking the streets (just like in GTA) but the various locations are very well done.

2. Deep story with the ability to reference a sort of org chart with all the known characters on it with bios for each and how they link to each other. On the main menu, you have the option to watch lengthy videos about both Yakuza 1 and 2 if you with to get up to date on all that happened in the first to (but not necessary if you don't feel like it). The main character is ex Yakuza and runs an orphanage in Okinawa. They take the time to develop that part of the story too.

3. Japanese voices with english subs. Japanese are a bit goofy, I think it works best with the subtitles rather than corny voice overs.

4. The fighting and character advancement are fun. Smooth fighting with lots of combos and abilities to learn as you level up. The animations for the combat is graphic and fun.

5. I'm impressed with all the unique character models for even bit part characters. hey also did a great job with animations. There's a great attention to detail.

Things neutral about:

1. The game works like Final Fantasy with text boxes scrolling ont he screen during dialog that's not in a cut scene. Anyone used to FF games will be familiar with it although I think a Mass Effect approach is better.

2. They edited out the bar hostess scenes and game play in Yakuza 3 thinking the Western audience wouldn't get it. I for one, like to see hot chicks on the screen so am not too happy they were removed...which leads to...

Yakuza 4

Yakuza 4 comes out March 15. They heard the complaints about removing parts of the game and are keeping them in this time. I'm looking forward to seeing better graphics and all parts of the game in Yakuza 4. Yakuza 3 still has monster game hours you can clock playing it.

If you thin you might like a mix of Final Fantasy and GTA, Yakuza 3 is worth checking out for sure if you find it on sale. If not, Yakuza 4 in a few weeks is worth checking into for sure. It has the bonus of giving you a look at Japanese culture.

Yakuza 3 is a colorful, richly populated world
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Yakuza 3 (and soon 4) PS3

Post by Winnow »

Been loving Yakuza 4 so far.

If you don't like games with a shit-ton of cut scenes and story, Yakuza's not for you as there's a lot of time between action scenes. There's so much to do in this game with impressive open world/side quests while easy to stay on the main story as well. The alert system (usually by cell phone calls) keeps you always with a main focus but also allows you to wander all over the place.

I'll go over some of the game later, have completed first chapter (about 10 hours) out of four chapter.

This is a good trailer showing some of the main characters with mix of cut scenes and game play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJWahGRQvI

"A motorcycle to the skull? Why not?"

"These guys are so tough they don't even use umbrellas"

Here's a sample of a cut scene. Pretty violent game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sGB5hP6PSA

As for the "quirky" Japanese stuff. It's all there. Dudes wearing panties on their heads. Skirts blowing up, tranny bars, etc

Here's sample of weird Japanese stuff: (bad quality cam video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmYiidoyY8o

The hostess part cut out of Yakuza 3 is pretty fun as well. You need to train and dress up your hookers, er hostesses so they make you more money.

From the trailer, you'll see four main guys. After playing the first chapter with one of them, I've switched over to another character for the second chapter. I'm guessing the four chapters will have four different characters you play with different fighting styles and stories. As with the previous Yajuza games, all previous Yakuza game story and cut scenes are available to view for back story if you wish. Very nice. The character map is also present again which shows all the characters as they're introduced and their relationship to each other.

It's been ten hours and I haven't even touched the weapons in the game. It's been all fists and random items you pick up so far. There's an entire "crafting" part to this game to make special weapons. There's also, similar to an MMO, the ability to equip some armor items, etc. There's an extensive leveling up system to improve your combat skills. There are a ton of side quests and "challenges" in the game. It took 4-5 hours before a ran into my first "dungeon" long fight campaign. Before that there are various 3-4 on one fights or single boss fights.

I'm guessing 30-40 hours of game time if you don't mess around with any of the side quests. This game also has a ton of story so those looking for lots of action may want to steer clear. Those that like to be involved in a deep story with lots of storylines should grab this one for sure.

Cut scenes are epic in length. There was one part of the game where It was 20-30 mins of basically doing nothing but watch the scene unfold. I'm not saying this is a good thing but the story is interesting and they are very liberal with throwing in tons of cut scenes. You do still have to click through a lot of dialog boxes.

Yakuza 4 mixes a very intense main storyline with some quirky funny Japanese style side stuff. Besides the very lengthy main story, even longer side quest things to do, there's also a ton of mini games. All of this is presented in a very richly populated world that is unmistakably Japanese. As with Yakuza 3, it's fun for me to just wander around the stores, bars, restaurants and side streets to enjoy the scenery. The combat is very entertaining, very violent, easy to pick up.

The quality of the graphics may be a step below the best but the actual animations during fights, text scenes and cut scenes is great.

Huge bang for your buck with this game if you like
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I think there was zombie DLC planned for this game that just got delayed due to the quake.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Yakuza 4 for $18 @ PlayAsia
Only 5 bucks shipping.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-bp- ... -3v36.html
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z