PS3 finally hacked? (for real this time)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

PS3 finally hacked? (for real this time)

Post by Aslanna »

PS3 modchip claims to finally allow backing up games without invasive console surgery

Who needs George Hotz anyway? A USB modchip for the PS3 has emerged from the mists this morning, purporting to allow the dumping of games onto nearby storage -- the console's internal HDD and external drives are both a-ok -- as well as the subsequent playing of said games without the need for the original disc. Could it be the backup/piracy nirvana Sony loyalists have been awaiting for so long? Well, there's a video showing the little USB device apparently working, and the PSX-Scene team say they have personally verified that it does what it claims to do, but skepticism remains advisable here. The PS3 has been a fortress of hacker unfriendliness, so we'd rather kick back, relax, and wait for some braver souls than us to do the testing.
Should be interesting if true and does what it says. Here is one video giving a demo.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: PS3 finally hacked? (for real this time)

Post by Winnow »

If it actually exists:
PS Jailbreak is a USB plug and play solution that installs in seconds, keeping your valid warranty seal in tact.

Easy to use installer and GUI takes you step by step.

Compatible with all production models FAT and SLIM. Supports all regions: USA, JAP, PAL and KOREA

PS Jailbreak disables forced software updates and will never brick your console.

Supports all games (it does not allow backups of bluray movies , dvd movies , or past consoles games)

Backup games to your internal hard drive or external hard drive through USB, and boot directly off GUI. Eliminating the need for expensive blueray burners and costly blank media.

Play backups off your hard drives 2x as fast as off the blueray drive. This eliminates lags and glitches to provide you with smoother game play.

Open up your console to a new generation of homebrew applications. Load homebrew apps/games off any USB hard drive/flash drive.

Fully updatable with new features/updates by connecting PS Jailbreak to any computers USB port.

Someone on another posted
In other news:

Sony will be releasing the patch that will disable the use of USB ports.

Users can choose not to update freely but they will not be able to connect to PSN

thank you for your support.

At this rate, the only thing that will work on a PS3 is the cooling fan(due to all the anti-hack disablings that Sony might resort to)...
I wouldn't be surprised coming from the producers of that joke of a console.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
In other news:

Sony will be releasing the patch that will disable the use of USB ports.

Users can choose not to update freely but they will not be able to connect to PSN

thank you for your support.

At this rate, the only thing that will work on a PS3 is the cooling fan(due to all the anti-hack disablings that Sony might resort to)...
I wouldn't be surprised coming from the producers of that joke of a console.
I am pretty sure that was a joke post. There's really no way they could disable USB ports considering they have peripherals such as the Playstation Eye thing (a key component of their Move strategy) and also other stuff like SingStar that need the USB ports.

The only way they could change it is to not have the USB ports active at boot but there's speculation whether or not they could does this without a hardware change.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It looks like the PS3jailbreak has stalled a bit. In Australia Sony filed, and was granted, an injunction against it from being sold (for the time being) and it's still not available anywhere else yet.

However while they were screwing around doing whatever it looks like a do it yourself solution is now available which will require you to pick up a programmable usb thingie and some sort of code compiling abilities. The good news it will end up being cheaper the bad news (for some) is that blocking of backups has been disabled. I really did want to install legitimate copies of games I own to the HDD. Perhaps someone else will take what's been put out now and modify it to allow that to happen.

It would seem the ball is in Sony's court once again. I expect a firmware update to try and disable it or at least limit it's effectiveness. So if you think homebrew on your PS3 is something you might want to do I'd hold off on applying any updates and you'd probably want to get on v3.41. Unless you're still clinging to whatever version had OtherOS. Maybe with this exploit someone might find a way to allow people to put that back.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fixed (so far) by the recent firmware update 3.42. So don't update if you're interested in any sort of homebrew developments that might be coming along. I got my Teensy board flashed with PSGroove and it seems to work fine. I'm not really going to bother with installing games to HDD though at this time so I'll just not use the PS3 for awhile and see what develops. Apparently the latest version of Logan5 proxy still works so you can still utilize PSN without having to update to 3.42.

--
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Its interesting that they finally broke it, but I must admit, I'm not that psyched over it.
I'm mainly a PC gamer, I got a PS3 mainly for the blu-ray, and then also use it for games. My game time is limited, already got 5-6 games i need to play when i get time, so I'm picky.
And when I buy a game for the PS3, its because its one i know I'll play, and I dont see that changing. I buy the games worth playing, and 95% of the console games are nothing I would not touch with a 10 foot pole, and really dont need to test the rest before buying them. If im sure I'll play them, I'll buy them. If not, I dont have the time to "test play" them :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Homebrew is gooooo! There have been a few things so far. ftp server and now snes emulator! It will be interesting when a game comes out that requires 3.42 firmware if there's a way around it.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Did you hack your PS3? I haven't touched mine since it was hackable so have the old Firmware still. I also (because PS3 sucks) had to replace the internal HD awhile back so have a 160GB one in there. Ready to go for lots of games!
I can neither confirm nor deny that just in case Sony is watching. They seem rather angry about the 'jailbreak' and are suing as many people as they can. Even sites with 'PS' or 'PS3' in the url! Although even if I had though I wouldn't have had time to test the backup ability. I still have 5 games I haven't gotten to yet. Still no game out that requires a firmware update so not sure how much of a hurdle that will be in the near future.

You can also play most of them from an external HD just in case 160GB isn't enough! Although with the ftp server you can easily transfer stuff to the internal.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

What is the most dastardly website offering the clearest guide for hacking the PS3 so I can make sure I block it in my browser?

Edit: found it.

I forgot iPhones could be used to hack. I have my old iPhone 3G looking for something to do!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:What is the most dastardly website offering the clearest guide for hacking the PS3 so I can make sure I block it in my browser?

Edit: found it.

I forgot iPhones could be used to hack. I have my old iPhone 3G looking for something to do!
It's not really too hard. Basically just need a programmable device of some sort that is supported. Best site at the moment (until Sony shuts it down!) is probably http://www.p s 3 n e w s.com (without the spaces!). Just be sure to run a script and ad blocker because they have a lot. NoScript ftw! I don't think the iPhone hack actually has backup manager enabled but I didn't really spend too much time researching it. TI-84 one seems updated fairly frequently if you have one of those laying around!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I played around a little yesterday using an iPhone 3G. I had to restore 3.1.2 and then reinstall a different Jailbreak that was compatible with the iphDroid thingy. (redsn0w). I had some kind of hang up installing that using windows. I got a little further along the process using my iMac to install iphoDroid but when the Aroid OS starts to boot up, I get some sort of init error.

I'm kinda excited about seeing Andoid on my old iPhone. I didn't research too much to find out what my issue is. I'll check it out again later after doing the 4.1 JB upgrade for my active phone.

Seems like kind of a pain in the ass to boot that up on the PS3 and getting files onto the internal HD seems like a time consuming process. Might be worth it for a few exclusive PS3 games to try out or if quality homebrew/xbmc type app comes out but the 360 is much easier! Don't mind hack challenges though.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I played around a little yesterday using an iPhone 3G. I had to restore 3.1.2 and then reinstall a different Jailbreak that was compatible with the iphDroid thingy. (redsn0w). I had some kind of hang up installing that using windows. I got a little further along the process using my iMac to install iphoDroid but when the Aroid OS starts to boot up, I get some sort of init error.

I'm kinda excited about seeing Andoid on my old iPhone. I didn't research too much to find out what my issue is. I'll check it out again later after doing the 4.1 JB upgrade for my active phone.

Seems like kind of a pain in the ass to boot that up on the PS3 and getting files onto the internal HD seems like a time consuming process. Might be worth it for a few exclusive PS3 games to try out or if quality homebrew/xbmc type app comes out but the 360 is much easier! Don't mind hack challenges though.
Also at the moment the hack only works on the 3.41 firmware. So if you're on an older version, like whichever OtherOS was running on, you're out of luck unless you update. Although supposedly people are working on getting it going with previous firmware versions so people don't have to lose OOS. I think there is a working hack so you don't need a BD installed which will be nice for people who have the drive die. I was thinking of getting another one just for that reason but I'm not sure how necessary it will be.

As far as copying files over it's not that big a deal. Use the ftp server and you got drag and drop. Supposedly pretty fast when using cat5e since ps3 is gigabit. And you only need to mess with that when they don't work on external. Seems easier to me as you don't have to bother burning anything. Save the environment!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Oh yeah, I also updated manually my firmware from 3.15 to 3.41 yesterday.

I'll figure it out sometime this week. I want to make sure I can test out PS3 exclusive games for Miir so I can help him save money not buying bad games!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ahhhh, well crap, I didn't realize that a streaming "init" after booting iPhoDroid was what it was supposed to do. I hooked the iPhone up to the PS3 (in the far RIGHT usb port) hit power then eject, waited for login screen, his PS button on controller and I had the two folders on my PS3.

Nice. Now I have to read up on what to do, mostly how to FTP using gigabit without risk of upgrading PS3 firmware. May have to wait until weekend when I have time to play around.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Didn't have much time to mess around with actually installing packages last night. I noticed there's already a bunch of homebrew available.

I installed the latest Open Manager which appears to be a backup manager.

Is there any recommended core of packages to install or something specific for the FTP part?
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Didn't have much time to mess around with actually installing packages last night. I noticed there's already a bunch of homebrew available.

I installed the latest Open Manager which appears to be a backup manager.

Is there any recommended core of packages to install or something specific for the FTP part?
No core stuff as far as I know. Things are still pretty early and there are frequent developments going on. For ftp I think the current app of choice is blackbox. I can't access my home PC at the moment to check since Windows 7 is being lame. I think Open Manager also has built in ftp thing but I haven't installed any backup managers so no recommendations on that.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

All done.

Ran into some issues trying to use my second ethernet port to direct connect to my PS3 in order to avoid internet. Ended up disconnecting my internet and using my router to FTP to my the PS3 and it worked fine so I just need to work on my configuration and/or make sure I block the PS3 from the net.

FTP is fast

Tried Trivia Pursuit because it was a small game and it loaded right up.

With there not being many exclusive games for the PS3, this should be fun for messing around with homebrew.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

So far this year, the PS3 has had about the same number of top shelf exclusives as the 360.

And congrats on pirating a $5 game. :roll:
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:So far this year, the PS3 has had about the same number of top shelf exclusives as the 360.

And congrats on pirating a $5 game. :roll:

You need to get over to some of the Apple threads to congratulate me on some .99 pirated apps!

Sony's safe with me. The only game I'd want to pirate for the PS3, I actually bought (Demon Souls) That game will be in my PS3 a lot :twisted:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:Sony's safe with me. The only game I'd want to pirate for the PS3, I actually bought (Demon Souls) That game will be in my PS3 a lot :twisted:
! I see what you did there. However a lot of Backup Managers no longer require a disc to be in the drive.

Hacking the PS3 has legitimate reasons as far as I am concerned. Why subject the BD laser to constant abuse when playing by having to access Demon Souls from a disc when you can just dump it to the hard drive. Serves Sony right for not implementing that option for their customers.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I found a fun game on the PS3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5Lm5bXF7M

It's been out several years.

Small download too! Pretty entertaining. Long tutorial that shows you all the things you can do. Just posted to newsgroups! 1.3GB. It installs to HD after FTPing over which is different than most games. Comes with some themes! Lotta stuff to hit. Above vid just shows one of the characters and environments.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:I found a fun game on the PS3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA5Lm5bXF7M

It's been out several years.

Small download too! Pretty entertaining. Long tutorial that shows you all the things you can do. Just posted to newsgroups! 1.3GB. It installs to HD after FTPing over which is different than most games. Comes with some themes! Lotta stuff to hit. Above vid just shows one of the characters and environments.
Yep, Pain is great. It was the first PSN game i bought. Its easy to learn, hard to master, can play horse for multiplayer fun, and EVERYONE can participate, from my cousins 5 year old boy to my 28 year old brother with 0 interest in video games :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I'm staying at the old firmware just in case.. but I honestly can't think of a single PS3 exclusive I have any interest in at all that I haven't played or bought already. Uncharted and Ratchet & Clank games I already own. Made the mistake of giving in to the hype and buying Heavy Rain. What a steaming pile of shit that is. No interest in button smashing through God of War. inFamous was boring. I know I could save the $2 on the disks for playing on the 360, but I just like the 360 better. PS3 is a nice piece of hardware but nothing makes me want to play on it. From their lackluster online service (compared to Live) to their lackluster exclusive games. As I was telling someone the other day, it's strange for me because I was such a big PS2 fan by far over the original XBOX. These days the PS3 only comes on for Blu-Ray movies.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Rumor has it that GT5 was delayed because of this hack!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Rumor has it that GT5 was delayed because of this hack!
Could be! Metal of Honor, just released or about to be released, requires 3.42. Like most people here, I'm not too worried about it as the PS3 pretty much sucks when it comes to exclusive games. I hacked mine, then looked for something to try out on it and confirmed that there's really nothing to get excited about. Maybe the Japanese import or mini game here or there but wouldn't care much if I lost the hack while it would suck balls to lose my 360 hack, the same hack, left untouched since year one that has worked flawlessly.

I'd like to also say that Sony sucks for making hackers keep their consoles on longer than they normally would because of the pain of reinstalling the hack each time. Sony is costing the environment my sucking extra electricity off the grid. Bastards. They can do no right. Dumbasses should let their console be hacked to the moon as it's the only thing that will save their sucky console from being irrelevant. They should be happy that anyone would want to code for that fagged up processor.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Seems there was already a workaround found for 3.42. I wonder if 3.50 will be any more secure.

And in other news Sony getting even more scary. MS just pretty much bans you and says whatever.. Buy another 360 if you want to go online.
German customs have seized several packages from Hong Kong containing the device "PS3 Break". According to § 95a UrhG the import of devices that are able to bypass a copy protection are illegal in Germany. Sony is now requesting every buyer to transfer the rights to request the package back from customs over to Sony Computer Entertainment and to agree on the destruction of the device. They are also required to sign a "cease and desist letter" that they will no longer import, distribute or use any device that allows or eases bypassing the copy protection of the PS3. If you still do so after signing the letter the penalties start at 5100€. If a buyer even refuses to sign the cease and desist letter they are facing a law suit with a value in dispute of 50'000€ each. According to the news site the legal situation is clearly in favor of Sony.
I can see them going after distributers but having end users send back units and agree to never used something like that is insane. Or at least it seem crazy to me.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I updated my iPhone 3G with the latest (PL3) payload so it can work with new games with 3.42 changes. Seems easy enough to SSH over the latest payload which seems to be updated frequently.

Tried out a few more games.

Fat Princess: Looks interesting. Will try it again after setting up the XLink Kai system so I can try out online game with other hackies. Not so good as solo campaign type game.

The Last Guy: You play this guy in a cape that gathers up people around the city, leading them to an escape zone, avoiding monsters, etc. pretty fun...for free! Not sure about longevity.

check out the video...it's different:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM_LC6YDv-w

White Knight Chronicles:

Took forever to make a character, lots of adjustments...which would be cool but Sony/PS3 manages to make everything more difficult with crappy UI layouts and more of a hassle than it should be. Finally made my char, entered world where half the time people speak, the other half are silent with subtitles but it's random and very strange. It doesn't flow like it should...got to part where thought I was far enough in that I could quit the game and lost entire progress...the game doesn't even same after completing character and entering world...even after lengthy intro scenes and entering world where you could actually move around..the game NEVER saves so I lost all progress. Pretty fucked up game design but the story looks like it might be fun. Ill play again after posting a few more negative articles about the PS3 to make myself feel better.

Still not much on the PS3 except for the odd, small downloadable game that would interest anyone over the 360. Fun to watch the homebrew scene take off though on the PS3 as they try to make use of a system that Sony has no clue how.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Whith Knight Chronicles is just published (not produced) by Sony.
It's a Level-5 (Jeanne d'Arc, Professor Layton) game.

Single player is unremarkable. It's not even really a complete story.
The single player story can be played through in like 20 hours.

The game is primarily focused on online play... much like Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star. Leveling up your chartacter, grinding for materials, leveling up your town, etc. If you're a fan of Japanese console MMOG type games, there's a lot of enjoyment to be had.

As for you, Winnow... don't even bother playing it, you won't like it.
Last edited by miir on November 3, 2010, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
As for you, Winnow... don't even bother playing it, you won't like it.
I don't mind grinding. I'm still grinding away in uber grind Asian MMORPG Aion.

I can't really comment on White Knight so far except for the hella long time it takes before you can save your game after starting a new game.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Rumor has it that GT5 was delayed because of this hack!
Rumors are now a Dec 31 release date. Man. How scared are they of a little hack. i mean hackers have already found a way around games that require 3.50 (as far as I know) so what are they just going to keep delaying it forever? People who would have bought the game are still going to buy the game.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game looks like it was tailor made for Kwon!

Fist of the North

Review of it doesn't sound promising though:

http://trailers-ak.gametrailers.com/gt_ ... gt_512.mp4

His mega punch move reminds me of the EQ monk thousand blows skill!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

PS3 jailbreak needs to work better.

Boot up with usb to enter jailbreak mode
ftp game to PS3's internal drive
run open manager (have tried v1 and v2)
select game from XMB that I selected in OM

I've tried Castlevania:LOS, God of War 3 and Tron and none work so far. With LOS I get an error which when googled mentions something about hdd problems, for GoW3 I get an eboot.bin whatever file error and with Tron I get black screens. I've tried two different payloads to JB with (x3max <3) and both have same issues so I don't think it's that.

PS3 sucks. *grumble grumble*
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Even PS3's hacks suck! Worst console ever!

I admit, I haven't turned on my PS3 since hacking it awhile back. I'll check out GT once it's hacked I guess but otherwise, some $5.00 cheapo online game was only fun game I saw.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I don't dislike the console so much, but even with the having the x3max jailbreak thing, I'm not very motivated to figure out why it's not working for me. Even if it did, I don't really know anything I'd play on ps3 over 360 anyway other than maybe games I wasn't sure I wanted to spend $1.50 for a disk on.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Earlier today it was reported that our group discovered the masterkey – I can confirm this. The video released last week was done prematurely and out of excitement. Many of you are pushing for us release our 3.5 solution understandably so. I completely understand the logic that once released it’ll be cloned and truthfully that’s inevitable. At the same time we must do our best to prevent, or at least delay that from happening. Using the PSdowngrade as the most recent example, in just a couple of weeks we’ve seen the DigiKey team port the downgrade to their multiple brands.

Given our dedication to the X3Max it's imperative our solution is secured to the best of out ability before being publicly released
Should be interesting if true. This basically means the PS3 as a whole has been cracked wide open. CFW won't be very far off and then it'll be like the PSP scene was before the newer models came out.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Siji wrote:the x3max jailbreak thing, I'm not very motivated to figure out why it's not working for me.
For anyone that happens to get an X3Max, know that the default firmware bin file they provide, does not work for games on your HDD. Google x3MAX_Hermes_V4.bin and use that. Then you can use any hex payload you want. Even with this fact, I still like the x3max for being able to use any payload and having the most storage space.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Haven't seen it posted yet so.. the PS3 master key has indeed been discovered and any PS3 sold to date is vulnerable. This opens up custom firmware and also jailbreak without the need for a USB dongle. (I'm guessing you'll still have to use it once, not sure).

There are some videos on this link below where the guys talk about it in length. It's actually pretty interesting to watch.

http://psgroove.com/content.php?581-Son ... eos-Within

I don't agree this is an "epic fail" on the part of Sony, but I am glad to see the PS3 is finally cracked wide open.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:I admit, I haven't turned on my PS3 since hacking it awhile back. I'll check out GT once it's hacked I guess but otherwise, some $5.00 cheapo online game was only fun game I saw.
Since the key(s) discovery by fail0verflow people have been working on getting 3.50+ games working. Apparently GT5 now works. If one wanted to evaluate it. I'm just saying!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Since the key(s) discovery by fail0verflow people have been working on getting 3.50+ games working. Apparently GT5 now works. If one wanted to evaluate it. I'm just saying!
Just read up on this...Geohot again! Some may think he's cocky but that guy delivers. Amazing what he's done on both the iOS platform and PS3.

For those that didn't know, Geohot is the reason the rest of the homebrew/hacker community could get involved with the PS3.

I still think they should make a movie about him. I'll have to find a time line on all of this jailbreaks, etc.

from Geohot:
props to fail0verflow for the asymmetric half
no donate link, just use this info wisely
i do not condone piracy

if you want your next console to be secure, get in touch with me. any of you 3.
it'd be fun to be on the other side.
It would suck to see him get hired on by one of the big three console developers but if I was one of them, I'd hire him...or Apple should since:
According to a recent Tweet by MuscleNerd of the iPhone Dev-Team, iPhone hacker GeoHot may already have his untethered iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak prepped.

Here's what MuscleNerd had to say:

@ipodguy79 I hear geohot does have an untether actually! Though not for all devices.

It was in response to Twitter use ipodguy79, who had first tweeted:

@sherif_hashim @MuscleNerd @iphone_dev @chpwn keep up with your soap opera and geo will be slapping another reality check on you
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

It would suck to see him get hired on by one of the big three console developers but if I was one of them, I'd hire him...or Apple should since:
Sony's long time policy has been to sue anyone who does something like this, while their competitors hire the people (see bleem! team being sued by Sony, and being hired by MS / Sony's system needing a ps2 chip to be backwards compatible, and the 360 working with 99.9% of all original Xbox games.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well Sony was bringing people to court left and right when the jailbreak thing first came out but I haven't heard much about that lately. As for hacking the system itself I'm not really sure there's anything legally wrong being done there although I'm sure they'd try to claim DMCA breaches. A lot of the hacks coming out don't directly enable piracy they just end up being adopted for that purpose by others. However I'm no lawyer!

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

On the plus side, while digging through and retrieving keys from the PS3 it appears they've extracted the PSP master key as well. So those newer PSP's that were unhackable? Not so much.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Siji wrote:On the plus side, while digging through and retrieving keys from the PS3 it appears they've extracted the PSP master key as well. So those newer PSP's that were unhackable? Not so much.
Actually I think they've been hackable without any PS3 discoveries. I guess there was some sort of exploit found using the Patapon 2 demo or some such. I think at the moment anything with firmware 6.20 or less can be hacked and that includes the PSPGo. I'm not sure the latest Sony firmware version but 6.45 sounds about right.

As far as geohot goes I think you're giving him too much credit Winnow. He did do the initial hacking around that got Sony to remove OtherOS, which seemed stir the hackers next quite a bit, but then he seemed to give up and disappear. Without the work of fail0verflow he wouldn't have had anything new to offer. I'm not dismissing his contributions but It's really more of a combined effort from multiple sources that have got us to the current point and giving all the credit to him is a mistake.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote: As far as geohot goes I think you're giving him too much credit Winnow. He did do the initial hacking around that got Sony to remove OtherOS, which seemed stir the hackers next quite a bit, but then he seemed to give up and disappear. Without the work of fail0verflow he wouldn't have had anything new to offer. I'm not dismissing his contributions but It's really more of a combined effort from multiple sources that have got us to the current point and giving all the credit to him is a mistake.
I'm not giving him all the credit but he always comes through. He cracked the PS3 and speculation is that he had the masterkey a long time ago and just hung onto it. He waits until someone else gets close and then releases so I guess you can hate him for that but if you have to point to one person that consistently comes through with major hacks/jailbreaks, it's Geohot, and not just on one platform. He's earned the right to carry a wallet that says "bad mother fucker". I know it's a community effort but I envy his talent. He's the original hacker of the PS3, he produced the masterkeys, he's had the original jailbreak for the iPhone and has come through time and time again with various jailbreaks. He may be cocky but he more than backs it up.

People are amazingly ungracious when it comes to hacks they take advantage of. While there are certainly many other hackers that should be recognized, he deserves boatloads of credit.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

geohot didn't release the masterkey it was the metldr key. So if he had it months ago and didn't release it he was just being a big jerkface!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:geohot didn't release the masterkey it was the metldr key. So if he had it months ago and didn't release it he was just being a big jerkface!

He may very well be a jerkface! He's a still a kid (well smart but immature college student now) and I'm sure he likes the attention. I say let him have his fun! He'll be old like us soon enough and no one will care!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Unless metldr is the master key omg?! I'm really a bit confused by all the key stuff as there are lots of them as indicated here.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Manufacturer breaks cover and comments on recent security breaches; network updates planned.

Sony has at last broken silence on recent developments which have seen its PlayStation 3's security measures completely defeated.

The firm has remained resolutely tight-lipped since news broke that a hacking group named fail0verflow had gained full control over the system, after reverse engineering the code used to sign authorised software as genuine.

Shortly afterwards iPhone hacker George “GeoHot” Hotz published the console’s “root key” online, enabling homebrew developers to create and sign their own apps. Blu-Ray and PSP root keys have also since been found buried within the PS3 and released online.

“We are aware of this, and are currently looking into it,” Sony told us in a brief statement. “We will fix the issues through network updates, but because this is a security issue, we are not able to provide you with any more details.”

Sony’s response is at odds with comments given to the BBC yesterday by fail0verflow member pytey, who said: “The complete console is compromised – there is no way back.

“The only way to fix this is to issue new hardware. Sony will have to accept this.”

Both fail0verflow and GeoHot are staunchly anti-piracy, and have not released any tools that directly enable the playing of copied games, but it is widely expected that piracy will soon be rife on what was, until very recently, considered to be the most secure console ever released.

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Sony's response was no response at all. Unless they've got another set of functions buried in the PS3 hardware currently unused to date, there's nothing they can do about this going forward. The most they can do is add a mini-USB dongle or something which is required to play any game going forward, and include that dongle in new games being sold. Short of that, it's over and done. They can give it the fark up now.

And to all of those people whining about how the hack of the PS3 has just rang the death bell for the gaming industry, the 360 has been hacked nearly all along.. The Wii too.. I'm fairly certain both of those consoles, which are ranks #1 and #2 respectively, are doing just fucking fine - as are their game sales. I swear, the PS3 crowd is a really fucking retarded bunch.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

And to all of those people whining about how the hack of the PS3 has just rang the death bell for the gaming industry
Lol, who the fuck is saying that.
Everything since the PS2 has been hacked.