Support, Discussion, Reviews
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

iTunes question

Post by Funkmasterr »

So, I have most of my music on my old hard drive in my old computer. I haven't had the money really to buy a external yet so there it remains for the time being. Eventually I am going to buy a external and put all of it, plus any new stuff I've got on my new computer onto it.

My old computer is where iTunes and my iPod were set up. I don't know how the licensing or whatever works for the iPod. Most of my music was not bought in iTunes, so that is not my concern. What I am wondering, is can I just plug my iPod into my new computer now and start putting some of my new music on it, and then do the same with my external when I get it, or is there a limit to how many computers you can use it on, is there something I have to do to reset that, etc.

I know I probably could have conveyed that more concisely, but I think you guys will get what I'm asking. Thanks.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Re: iTunes question

Post by Sylvus »

The music on your iPod is tied to an installation of iTunes; if you plug it into a new installation of iTunes you'll get a warning message and if you accept the message it'll wipe the music on it and then sync it with the current iTunes install.

If you're using DRM-free mp3's that you STOLE OFF THE INTERNET (!!!), you can just copy those to your new computer or share out the drive on your old machine and tell iTunes to scan that folder and get it back onto your iPod.

No idea what happens with music you purchased from iTunes, haven't ever done that.

Also, you may want to consider trying to figure out how to export your playlists, every time i reformat I lose mine, and it drives me nuts.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Shizzle, thanks.

I haven't got any playlists yet really, but I need to. Putting my iPod on shuffle with like 30k songs can be seriously annoying sometimes.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Not sure if this is related, but I use a free app called Ephpod to extract MP3 files from iPod, etc. At least that way, you have your physical files which you can do what you want with and not have to worry about iTunes as much, as far as storing songs.
en kærlighed småkager
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Wouldn't it only be 20-40 bucks for an enclosure to turn your old drive into an external drive?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:Wouldn't it only be 20-40 bucks for an enclosure to turn your old drive into an external drive?
Si, senor. However, I plan on storing and accessing all of my media (video/music) from the external, and from what I understand using the drive in a enclosure that way long term isn't necessarily a good thing.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

It could at least be a good temporary solution while you move the media to the primary drive until you have one designated for external use. I went through the trouble of burning ALL of my music a few years ago onto CD-R's. That was a real pita that I will never do again.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:It could at least be a good temporary solution while you move the media to the primary drive until you have one designated for external use. I went through the trouble of burning ALL of my music a few years ago onto CD-R's. That was a real pita that I will never do again.
True. I was just hesitant to take the risk of wiping and putting everything back onto my iPod twice in the next few months. I'd hate for the hdd in it to shit out since they don't make the 160GB anymore :\