Support, Discussion, Reviews
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

TV help - xpost

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

crossposted from Consoles/the ps3 thread because noone seems to read that:

I will be owning my first console ever, soon. I did some translation work for a small company that sells gizmos and gadgets and whatnots, and the guy can't really pay me much - so he's giving me a (brand new in-box) PS3 instead. Now to get a tv... which I haven't had for around 3 years. I should be getting a load of games, new and used, from him as well.

This is pretty much the TV I'm looking at (the European models are a bit different, I think, but it's close enough as makes no difference) : Panasonic TC-P42G25 - any input (other than Winnow's rather predictable "Sell the PS3 and get a XBOX instead", which won't work as 2/3 of the appeal is blu-ray player and the fact that 5 of my friends on the other side of the country all have PS3s, not XBOXes, and I want to play with them) ?

I'm thinking that for that size, there's a better deal to be had with plasma than LCD and I've seen some pretty decent reviews of it, but I haven't got the faintest idea what to go for. It will be used for movies, gaming and tv - in that order.

edit: actually, it's the G20 and not the G25 series, but the G25 doesn't come in 42" and as far as I can tell the only difference is the G25 allows you to connect a Panasonic security camera which isn't something I have any need for.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Re: TV help - xpost

Post by Canelek »

Nice TV!

If you want to go for the budget plasma, I would suggest the Samsung 720P plasma, which can be had for ~$600. I have had mine for 4 years and it is awesome. Of course, it isn't 1080P, but the PS3 will upscale the signal anyway and you'll likely not tell much of a difference.

If you want to go a bit higher in price, a backlit LED LCD TV will be what I will be getting next year or so, when the price drops. Those are pretty much better than plasma, plus super-thin.

I dig Samsung, but that Panasonic plasma is super-nice, I guess it really all boils down to how much you want to pay. :) At least with plasma and LED, you woun't get that awful screen pixelation from video games and fast-action TV programs that many LCD TVs have.

Also, I have a bunch of shit for my PS3 and would be happy to play online with you. :D
en kærlighed småkager