Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Wedding Ceremony Music?

Post by Sylvus »

So we booked a friend of my cousin who is a pretty awesome musician, classically trained on guitar and piano who plays solo shows and with his rock band, etc. Basically the guy can do whatever we want him to do on guitar or keyboard for our wedding.

Unfortunately, my extensive knowledge of hip hop, heavy metal and progressive rock aren't particularly helpful in this instance, and me Julie's love of country music is getting vetoed to some degree (our first dance will be a country song).

We're meeting with him this weekend to go over what we want played, and I was just wondering if anyone had any creative ideas for music? We're aren't really the classical music types, so we want to avoid Treulich Geführt or Pachelbel's Canon and such. We'd thought about maybe something by Eric Clapton ("Wonderful Tonight", perhaps). I'm basically just looking for ideas being thrown out, in the hopes that it's a song that we both like that we just haven't thought of. Anything from 1920 on, really, even if it isn't traditionally played on guitar.

Any help is appreciated.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: Wedding Ceremony Music?

Post by Tyek »

My wife and I had the Alarm song "Walk Forever by my Side" played while we lit the candle during the ceremony. My friend, Nino from FOH, translated the song from its piano origins into a guitar song and he played it, while our friend sang it. I loved the song since I first heard it and wanted it played at my wedding.

Lyrics.

Walk forever by my side
Never lose sight of the day

When we will run through all our weakness
On through the fields
Strewn with our broken dreams
Walk forever by my side

Stay forever in the light
Never lose sight of the way
For I alone can't face the future
I need your strength
To help me make it through
Walk forever by my side

Stay forever in the light
Walk on 'til morning
All my days are yours
Walk on 'til morning
All my days are yours

Hope you'll stay with me tonight
Lift the veil from my eyes
For I am weak and I am foolish
I need your love
To see me through the darkness
Hope you'll stay with me tonight

Walk on 'till morning
All my days are yours
Walk on 'till morning
All my days are yours

At the time we did it, 15 years ago, I had not heard of anyone really using it. Since then it has been used quite a bit, I even heard the singer would record the song with your names from his website. I also know they have since recorded it with a guitar as well.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

I never could stand any new country. Only one I could suggest from that might be Always On My Mind by a real country singer....Willie. If you wanted something a little more pop rocky, maybe Faithfully by Journey. Sadly, Wonderful Tonight is just kinda short.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Traditional wedding music played on whatever has the advantage of, well being traditional. And it fits into the time periods that various parts of the ceremony where it's needed take.

My daughter wanted a bunch of different music in her wedding, when it came to the wedding practice she ended up going with traditional stuff as it fit much better.

At the reception is another matter, anything goes that won't offend Grandma Auntpaw and her bunions.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Silk - Freak Me
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

Let me describe a scene to you from a wedding I attended a couple years back.

First, my father and I were the only people in attendance wearing a suit outside of the wedding party and the preacher. As we are sitting there waiting for the ceremony, we are watching people as they came in. A large majority of the attendees were wearing shorts, some were wearing sandals or flip-flops. I witnessed one gentleman come in wearing a tank top and a visor with the Playboy bunny logo on it and one of his smokes tucked into it. Another one rolled in with a baseball hat...and yes....carrying his spit cup for his dip right up into one of the front 3 rows.

In one of the most ironic (or well thought out, which would show actual intelligence of which I have doubts) twists, the (18 year old) bride walks down the aisle to the country song "Carrying Your Love", which apparently she literally was as she was 5 months pregnant. Needless to say the underage drinking at the reception had us bailing out early, which of course caused us to miss the fistfight between some of the hilljacks in attendance.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Total Eclipse of the Heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR9OXZWF65c

big props if you can get the dan band

and did you say "me Julie"? Very Ali G of you, woop woop!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

"Wish you were a beer" by Cycle Sluts From Hell
"The Bad Touch" by Bloodhound Gang
"Fuck you" by Lily Allen
"Do ya think i'm sexy" by Revolting Cocks