Google Public DNS

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Google Public DNS

Post by Winnow »

I wasn't planning on switching but the past few days I've noticed when a web address isn't available or errors, I get sent to some cox search web page...um no.

I switched over to Google Pubic DNS

so far so good although it's pretty early into the testing. It can't be any less safe or reliable than your ISP's DNS servers.

pretty easy DNS addresses to remember:

if nothing else, those are easy DNS addresses to remember is yours goes down.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html
Google Launches Free DNS Service: What It All Means
2009 December 6
by MHB

Google launched their public DNS product this week allowing each computer user to reconfigure their internet settings and begin using the free service.

Every internet connection relies on a DNS server to resolve domain names into an ip address.

Generally this service is provided free of charge by your internet provider.

In the past there have been many cases where software installs and viruses will reconfigure a user’s internet settings and set their computers to use a malicious set of DNS servers. After doing so the person can be falsely redirected to another site any time a domain is entered.

Many Internet Service Providers (ISP) display paid search results when a user types a domain name that doesn’t exist, and actually is common practice for many of the larger ISP’s.

On Tuesday, ICANN issued a statement condemning this practice, going as far to say it could harm the internet and cited other privacy concerns.

The draft agreement for owners of new gTLDs would ban DNS hijacking like this at the registry level.

So whats in this for Google?

First in handling millions of DNS requests a day, Google would get an accurate visitor count for each website.

Google could then adjust its search results and rankings based on a site’s popularity or at least take that into account as one of the factors in ranking sites.

Its will also increase Google search market share, since some of the ISPs who resolve inactive domains to paid search pages, do so with competitor’s feeds.

Google will not be taking this traffic and putting it to its own PPC ads, so non-resolving pages will just not resolve, but it will take that traffic currently going from other ISP to its competitors basically away from them if people change their settings.

For the users, Google says the new service is more accurate and faster than other DNS servers.

Google says they have developed a huge cache of popular domains which are continuously refreshed. So Whenever you go to one of those sites, Google will display the site a lot faster than your regular ISP does.

While fractions of a second may not seem like a big advantage, for someone who goes to hundreds of sites daily this could be significant enough to make the change worthwhile.

However, at least one initial benchmark test is reporting a slight increases in speed using Google DNS, so lets say the jury is out on the speed issue.

Finally I know some of your will be concerned about privacy issues and giving Google your surfing habits.

Google says that its Public DNS service will only keep your IP address for 48 hours and then delete it.

For more information about Google’s Public DNS service and instructions on how to update your settings click here
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Google Public DNS

Post by Zaelath »

http://www.opendns.com/ has been around 4 years providing a similar service, plus, if you wish, you can filter the internet at the DNS level.

Not a big deal for me, but handy for some of my customers and people with kids ...
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:http://www.opendns.com/ has been around 4 years providing a similar service, plus, if you wish, you can filter the internet at the DNS level.

Not a big deal for me, but handy for some of my customers and people with kids ...

those numbers not as easy to remember! Plus it looks like they're pimping something on their website. Google not pimping premium services. Doing it out of the goodness of their heart : )
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I've been using OpenDNS for a few years with good results. The filtering is handy even if you don't have kids.

I avoid using Google products.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aabidano wrote:I've been using OpenDNS for a few years with good results. The filtering is handy even if you don't have kids.

I avoid using Google products.
Huh? Google products are hands down better than the competition in pretty much every case that I can currently think of.
Sargeras
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sargeras »

4.2.2.1 - 4.2.2.6

Thank you Level 3. They've been good to me, but I'm willing to test others.
Sargeras Gudluvin - R.I.P. old friend - January 9, 2005
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Winnow wrote:

those numbers not as easy to remember!
Who cares? It's not like you have to type them every time you want to resolve an address. :)
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote:
Who cares? It's not like you have to type them every time you want to resolve an address. :)
I've had to switch DNS servers on the fly several times when Cox DNS servers went down....lame to not have internet if all you have to do is switc h DNS servers. 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4 easy to remmber. and if they go down, i can swith to "automatic discovery" and use Cox.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

It's all fun & games until google exposes its records of you resolving dvdainterracialmidgetgangbangs.com
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xatrei wrote:It's all fun & games until google exposes its records of you resolving dvdainterracialmidgetgangbangs.com
and your local ISP wouldn't? I don't see any difference between a google DNS and your cable DNS for privacy or lack or privacy.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Regarding DNS, Steve Gibson created a DNS benchmarking tool available at http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm.

This tool will evaluate a ton of public DNS servers from your location and give you while ones are the fastest and more reliable. You can also add in your ISP's DNS servers to evaluate them as well.

It's a sweet tool.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Regarding DNS, Steve Gibson created a DNS benchmarking tool available at http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm.

This tool will evaluate a ton of public DNS servers from your location and give you while ones are the fastest and more reliable. You can also add in your ISP's DNS servers to evaluate them as well.

It's a sweet tool.
yeah, I used that and Cox was 51% faster than Google's DNS. I don't like how Cox xfers me to their search page with suggestions on faulty addresses. They're using incorrect web addresses as a form of advertising.

I've also found that I'm able to access some sites more often with google, meaning they have a faster update system possibly. RSLOG website for one.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Winnow wrote:
Xatrei wrote:It's all fun & games until google exposes its records of you resolving dvdainterracialmidgetgangbangs.com
and your local ISP wouldn't? I don't see any difference between a google DNS and your cable DNS for privacy or lack or privacy.
Of course they could, but my ISP isn't in the business of building a huge index of its users web activity in the same way as the goog (at least not overtly). Mind you, I'm not really all that concerned about it, I just wanted the opportunity to say "dvdainterracialmidgetgangbangs.com"
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Animalor wrote:Regarding DNS, Steve Gibson created a DNS benchmarking tool available at http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm.

It's a sweet tool.
Hehe... that told me my local DNS server was dead, it's not..
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

Google Search - they know what you searched
Google Analytics - they know the site you went to cause it told Google
and now Google DNS - you tried being sneaky and went to a site that doesn't run Google Analytics

They now know one way or the other where you're going :)
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

valryte wrote:Google Search - they know what you searched
Google Analytics - they know the site you went to cause it told Google
and now Google DNS - you tried being sneaky and went to a site that doesn't run Google Analytics
Or you're using ghostery to block google analytics from running :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Google do get in everywhere now, don't they?
Winnow wrote:
I switched over to Google Pubic DNS
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I have since switched back to Cox DNS servers.

Speed tests indicated the Google DNS servers were much slower. If they resolve the speed issue, i may try them out again.