Support, Discussion, Reviews
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

New TV Time!

Post by Funkmasterr »

So, next pay day I'm finally gonna get rid of the tube tv I've had for the past 18 years or so and get a LCD. I've kinda decided what I want, but the one thing I'm unsure of because of conflicting opinions I've heard/read - I'm not sure how important 120Hz vs. 60Hz is for me to consider. I'm really only concerned with gaming, I don't watch much TV, will watch some movies/blu rays, and watch zero sports.

Thanks!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: New TV Time!

Post by miir »

60Hz is fine for gaming. Unless your games are running in excess of 60 frames per second, you will notice zero difference between 60 and 120.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I just went with a plasma the other day. Granted my television is going in the basement where there is little to no light, so it worked for me.

But yeah, I was at best buy grilling the guy on tv's while he was hyping up the 120 hz that was directly next to the 60 hz. I noticed no giant difference. If you're watching the crowd in a sporting event, you can kind of notice it, kind of. On that note, plasma's have a 600hz refresh rate with 2million:1 contrast (LED has 3million) to boot. You just need the tv in a fucking cave for it to be awesome.
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Plasma is fine for movies and TV. LCD for gaming. Even more so with LED backlighting now.

If it's for Wii gaming, it wouldn't matter if you threw up on your screen and didn't wipe it off. The resolution is so inferior on the Wii, you probably wouldn't notice.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Thanks sirs, I will probably just go with a 42" 60hz LCD of some variety then. The average price difference for a 60hz and a 120hz tv of basically the same model has seemed to be around 200 dollars, which given all I've read and heard here seems silly to pay.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I am posting this from my new tv :D I ended up getting a Panasonic TC-L42U12. I am very happy with it!