Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

DVD Review - Steven King's The Shining

Post by Canelek »

First off - I LOVED Kubrick's The Shining.

Those of us that love King's work know that Kubrick's version was the apples to King's oranges. Kubrick was able to capture his own demented vision of so many great literary works that very few, if any, screenwriters could have imagined.

King pretty much went 'by the book' so to speak and told his own made-for-TV story of his epic novel. I will tell ya up front, I hate TV movies. I prefer the blood and guts of movies that have no bounds of the TV rating system.

That being said, fucking BRAVO to this work--never have I seen something so close to a novel as this. OK, he did an o...k job with the TV versions of IT and The Stand--but I am stunned at the thought and care that went into this.

The Shining is a shining light in the horror genre and it is quite apparent that King's love of his work shined through. Simply amazing. This will be soon bought-and-thrown-into-regular-play-list.

It took a bit to get used to the different players(as far as actors), but it was well worth it.

5-Star material from your uncle Canno.

*EDIT* A few deleted scenes which are a plus for any DVD. *****
en kærlighed småkager
Rooknight
No Stars!

Post by Rooknight »

I gotta be honest here bud. I didn't get too much of a thrill from this movie. after watching it twice and finally being able to tear my mind away from comparing it to Kubrick' version. I still didn't find to much that I liked from the film. Maybe I just gotta read the book to enjoy the movie.
Bite it Rook, make him look like a dick.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Yeah, I figure that is what most thought as well. It really took a while to shove Kubrick's version out of my mind, but once I rembered the events as took place in the book, I was sold. The only problem I really saw was that since it was made for TV, the budget suffered a bit.

I still dug it though ;)
en kærlighed småkager
Quarkk
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Quarkk »

I'll check this out, though I really don't see how it could live up to Kubrick's version. The original had it all in my mind, just tough to imagine another being as good. Which did you like better, and why?
Davanor Reepicheep ~ Gnomish Magician
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Well, Kubrick did an amazing job on his version, it is truly a classic :) I loved King's version because he wrote the book and told it on screen like he wanted it. If you loved the book, you will dig SKs version.
en kærlighed småkager
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

The book is definitely better than both movies. But if I had to choose which one of the movies to watch, it would be Kuprik's.