iTunes total piece of crap?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

iTunes total piece of crap?

Post by sarlen »

I have a little over 65gig of music that took me over a year of on and off work to get all the tags perfect using Media Monkey. I bought an iTouch this week and installed and fired up iTunes and it pooched about a third of my tags. To confirm it I opened media monkey and sure nuff it fucked them up, the art and album names is what it changed on a whim. Anyone seen this before and what did you do to keep it from happening?
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: iTunes total piece of crap?

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It did the same thing to me, except I have 160G of music. I keep on that on a seperate external drive and keep the "Appled" versions on my HD. It fucking lost or fucked up the tags and covers for most of the albums I have organized, but found covers and tags for a weird assortment of leftover compilation stuff that wasn't tagged or had covers. Go figure.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I don't know if it is just iTunes that does this, or if it is having another program try to go over a tagged library. I had installed the Zune software last year and it did the same to my tagged music. There were some rather humorous changes, but it was a major headache.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

This is the reason I have never spent much time on tagging my music collection.
I fucking despise some of the stupid shit itunes does.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I only have about 4gb of music and I get the same thing happening. I thought the Zune software's results was the less fucked up of the 2 so I went with that. The zune software also simply found more stuff.

The nice thing with the DB the Zune uses is that they can have many different version of the same album so you can pretty precisely find the album you're looking for.

iTunes only seems to tag or change what they find in their store.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I hate Itunes so much, I can not express it in words. Shit like this, or it duplicating my library every other day made me finally give up trying to use it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

The only problem I have had was when my hard drive crashed and I had to replace the newest iTunes Library with an older one. I am not sure what I am doing differently to not have all of the issues y'all seem to have with it.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Boogahz wrote:The only problem I have had was when my hard drive crashed and I had to replace the newest iTunes Library with an older one. I am not sure what I am doing differently to not have all of the issues y'all seem to have with it.
Yeah, I am sure there are a 1000 users who have no problems for every problem I have had with iTunes. I am currently running iTunes on my laptop, which maps my library over the network, and so far has had 0 problems (in the past 3 months). When I had iTunes on my desktop, I had it duplicating my library all the time (just 2 references to each file, it didn't create another copy of my library, thank god), or adjusting tags randomly (in both Vista and XP, with multiple installs). At first, I assumed it was the sketchy support of 64 bit software, but now I just think it's bad luck.

On a good note, Media Monkey rules.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I usually burn stuff off to DVD after I get done tagging and renaming that way I'll never lose that info. Can easily just copy stuff back over to a directory used just to store stuff you're listening to. Drive space is cheap.. Time spent organizing all that in the first place isn't! But yeah never saw the need for iTunes or whatever.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I use iTunes for iphone apps and managing podcasts. For that it works great.

I wouldnt let it touch my main music collection. I'll add a few songs to iTunes when I want them in my iPhone.

iTunes sucks, I always get screen freezes when it's downloading podcasts.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Oh, I do have to say that at some point, they drastically improved the performance of the "cover flow" view in iTunes, which was nice.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I really hate the presumptuous shit Apple pulls. iTunes is a piece of shit for music management. Like Winnow, I just pull selected shit in when I want to refresh iPhone. As much as I love the iPhone, I can only hope that someone creates at least a decent app to manage songs. I doubt Apple ever will.

I actually purchased a license for a bit of software to clean up library dupes. Somehow iTunes decided to duplicate the physical files....manual deletion is far too tedious, so the little app worked nicely.

Just manage the mp3s, etc. I give a fuck about their retarded "playlists".
en kærlighed småkager
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Canelek wrote:I really hate the presumptuous shit Apple pulls. iTunes is a piece of shit for music management. Like Winnow, I just pull selected shit in when I want to refresh iPhone. As much as I love the iPhone, I can only hope that someone creates at least a decent app to manage songs. I doubt Apple ever will.

I actually purchased a license for a bit of software to clean up library dupes. Somehow iTunes decided to duplicate the physical files....manual deletion is far too tedious, so the little app worked nicely.

Just manage the mp3s, etc. I give a fuck about their retarded "playlists".
What's the program you used, out of curiosity? I have duplication issues with iTunes, and I have over 100GB of music so there's no fucking chance I'm gonna straighten it all out. Hell, I haven't even got past about 15% of the way through properly naming/tagging everything.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I'll have to check when I get home--I forget.
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »