Phelps suspended for Marijuana use...

What do you think about the world?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Phelps suspended for Marijuana use...

Post by Winnow »

Spang wrote:
...admits he smoked marijuana during his junior year in high school.
And? LeBron is a High School legend. He wasn't good back then?

Charles Barkley smoked the whacky weed while playing in the NBA and he did ok.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Winnow wrote:And? LeBron is a High School legend. He wasn't good back then?
I was under the impression you were insinuating LeBron had been smoking the herb recently, since you posted the article in a thread about an athlete who had been smoking the herb recently.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

admits he smoked marijuana during his junior year in high school
And A-Rod only "admitted" to using steroids while he was with the Rangers.

LeBron and Phelps are probably two of the, say, ten best athletes in the world, no? Who's next? Pujols? Federer?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Are you fucking kidding me?

This dude is awesome:

http://www.sportingnews.com/other/artic ... ic-100-fly

Phelps sets world record in 100 butterfly August 1st
ROME — He defiantly spit out a mouthful of a water, climbed atop the lane rope, pumped his fists furiously and tugged on that supposedly inferior swimsuit.

The message was clear: Don't mess with Michael Phelps.
Pot, and the new restrictions on swimsuits = another world record for Phelps.

Watch the video. He was fired up!
His reaction was nearly as memorable. Phelps hopped on the rope that had separated him from Cavic — eyes searing, jaw jutting out. He pulled at both sides of his skintight LZR Racer swimsuit, letting his rival know that he heard about his offer to get Phelps one of those faster polyurethane suits so he wouldn't have any excuses if he lost in a Speedo.

No need, Milorad.

Phelps did just fine with his own attire.

"I've never seen him that emotional," Phelps' coach Bob Bowman said.

The two rivals finally shook hands, but that was about it.

Nothing more needed to be said.

"He congratulated me and kind of smiled a bit, but I have a feeling that our battle is going to go back and forth for a while," Phelps said.

Cavic did say one thing to Phelps: "You're the man."

"He just looked at me and smiled," Cavic said. "He knows it."
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Not to mention the gazillion more medals Phelps has won since this was posted, but here's another thing the pot smoker managed to do!

Phelps sinks 153 foot putt

Announcer said was 90 feet but caddy said 153.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012/10 ... &eref=sihp

Pot is bad.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I still think Cheez-Its suck.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

It was harder to quit pot than cigs.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Leonaerd wrote:It was harder to quit pot than cigs.
And quitting Cheez-Its is fucking IMPOSSIBLE.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Aslanna wrote:I still think Cheez-Its suck.
True but crunchy cheetos are zomg tasty.

Quitting cigs sucked massively, can totally empathize with the poor bastards hobbling across the street from the cancer center for a smoke.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

have you had the crunchy jalepeno cheetos? holy fuck.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Jalapeno is the best flavor of anything.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

:vv_yeahthat:
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

I'll take one bowl of Royal Purple Kush and one bowl of ice cream, please.
en kærlighed småkager
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Leonaerd wrote:It was harder to quit pot than cigs.
Seriously? I quit pot after 7 years of smoking basically every day, and did it without thinking twice. I went from spending $100+ a week on it to nothing for myself, though I still bought it for my fiancee.

Cigarettes though...I've been smoking for 8 years now, and have attempted to quit at least a dozen times. I've even made it for a week before, but I always fall back. I just cannot give them up, and I hate them because they make me feel like shit \ are killing me.

Quitting cigarettes is actually the only thing I have ever focused my will on and failed. They are fucking evil.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

On cigs, my guess is that your nicotine addiction was far worse than mine. I never smoked more than a pack a week. There was no benefit to smoking other than filling in the gaps of time and having a reason to chum outside the bar with people. These days I don't mind going outside to chill with others who are smoking, but I don't even feel the tug. It's a non-issue and I doubt I'll smoke again. Lungs are great to have.

What made it tough to stop smoking pot is that it wasn't easy to see how much it limited me, until I hadn't smoked for a week or two (imagine how often that happened). Being high, and the whole pot culture, is so damn fun that it's so easy to spark a bowl and be happy with simply existing while time accelerates. It's a tough philosophy to decry, because why not live a colorful life from a different angle?

It seemed impossible to notice there was a problem until I hadn't smoked for a week. Then, when sober, I'd sort of make up for all the shit I wouldn't do while stoned. I'd become super social, funny, active... doing good for myself and my life, and generally I'd just care a lot more about every passing moment. Even the things that I'd enjoy a lot while stoned, I'd have a much greater capacity to appreciate while sober. It was a very positive snowball effect to quit. Feels so good to care.

What made it final was after a two-week hiatus of sobriety, smoking a joint and all of a sudden I'm right back in the rut for a day or two. Fuck that.

Now, I see the negatives in my friends. I know that distant stare... you get in your head and you can't figure out what to say or think. It's sad to see someone consumed in a spiral of sorts. I'd like to think that they know better, but it's fucking tough.

I think what makes pot tougher to quit is that I'd still be a little bit high a couple days after the fact, and then smoke again. It's easy to lose track of what sobriety is. You don't really think you're high after awhile. It's twisted. Oh well. At least I can look back.

:vv_zoid:
Last edited by Leonaerd on October 11, 2012, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyw ... it+smoking

If you read that book you will smoking, guaranteed.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Leonaerd wrote:It seemed impossible to notice there was a problem until I hadn't smoked for a week.
How many casual weed smokers do you know? I know they exist but they're certainly the minority (which doesn't mean it's evil, worse than alcohol, etc...). Very easy to get caught up into the lifestyle that surrounds it.

Quit cigs ~6 years ago, still feel the twitch now and again.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

Leonaerd wrote:On cigs, my guess is that your nicotine addiction was far worse than mine. I never smoked more than a pack a week. There was no benefit to smoking other than filling in the gaps of time and having a reason to chum outside the bar with people. These days I don't mind going outside to chill with others who are smoking, but I don't even feel the tug. It's a non-issue and I doubt I'll smoke again. Lungs are great to have.

What made it tough to stop smoking pot is that it wasn't easy to see how much it limited me, until I hadn't smoked for a week or two (imagine how often that happened). Being high, and the whole pot culture, is so damn fun that it's so easy to spark a bowl and be happy with simply existing while time accelerates. It's a tough philosophy to decry, because why not live a colorful life from a different angle?

It seemed impossible to notice there was a problem until I hadn't smoked for a week. Then, when sober, I'd sort of make up for all the shit I wouldn't do while stoned. I'd become super social, funny, active... doing good for myself and my life, and generally I'd just care a lot more about every passing moment. Even the things that I'd enjoy a lot while stoned, I'd have a much greater capacity to appreciate while sober. It was a very positive snowball effect to quit. Feels so good to care.

What made it final was after a two-week hiatus of sobriety, smoking a joint and all of a sudden I'm right back in the rut for a day or two. Fuck that.

Now, I see the negatives in my friends. I know that distant stare... you get in your head and you can't figure out what to say or think. It's sad to see someone consumed in a spiral of sorts. I'd like to think that they know better, but it's fucking tough.

I think what makes pot tougher to quit is that I'd still be a little bit high a couple days after the fact, and then smoke again. It's easy to lose track of what sobriety is. You don't really think you're high after awhile. It's twisted. Oh well. At least I can look back.

:vv_zoid:
Well, I had a good reason to stop smoking, so that made it easier for me. I started a business with some friends, and it grew faster than any of us had ever dreamed. I was in charge of the bookkeeping \ accounts management, and being high made it so hard for me to keep track of the math, and I kept making little mistakes.

I made one mistake that cost us $5000 (I took that out of my own pay), and decided it was time to stop smoking. I just put it down and didn't touch it again for 2 years. As soon as I did that, I was on top of everything, and the little (or big) mistakes stopped happening.

Now, I do smoke from time to time, but never large quantities, and it is maybe once every month or two.