The Office

Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The Office

Post by Lalanae »

OK, so the last episode had Eric and I practically in tears. The "fire" scene (especially the cat) was one of the funniest scenes I've seen in a long time.

Not much to discuss about The Office, other than its genius, but thought it might be worth having a thread. Favorite moments?
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Office

Post by Aslanna »

/Nick mode on

You call that shite genius? The American version is total crap and totally unfunny. The UK version is superior in soooo many ways amirite? DURR!!!!!!!!1
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

This is one of the few shows I watch with my wife. I agree on that last episode, its was great. I cannot comment on how uber the Brit version is, but I end up having a chuckle or 2 in every episode tho I wouldnt call it a great sitcom, but it entertains enough and I like some of the characters.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I love the Brit version, but for different reasons. The first season of the US version I didn't think was that great, but once they started developing the peripheral characters in Season 2, it became one of my favorite shows.
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

It's on Netflix Watch Instantly, so we've been going back and watching the old episodes in order.

Favorite moment: Benihana Christmas episode.
[Show]
Michael and Andy pick up two girls at Benihana and bring them back to the office. Michael can't tell them apart, so he marks his girl with a sharpie.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I thought of the most recent episode as an ode to the first season. Specifically, the cat falling through the ceiling reminded me of the basketball episode when Michael chucked the ball around with wild abandon. The show is at its finest when there's physical humor in play.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

I find some of the funnier moments to be whenever Jim just gives the camera a blank stare. They usually put them in at the perfect place and it just makes whatever happened that much funnier.

Laughed my ass off at the cat in the ceiling though!
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

I love the show, and the after Superbowl episode was mostly great. The only thing that disappointed me was the guest stars that they hyped, which were relegated to a pretty minor role.

The fire drill was absolutely hilarious.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Aslanna wrote:/Nick mode on

You call that shite genius? The American version is total crap and totally unfunny. The UK version is superior in soooo many ways amirite? DURR!!!!!!!!1
In most cases I'd agree with this sentiment, albeit sarcastic here ;)

With The Office however, the Brit version was too fucking true to life to be funny. It just made me cringe. It needed some of the OTT American ridiculousness to peak ;p
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Syenye
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: asian tempest

Post by Syenye »

Last night's episode was great. I'm still giggling about Angela and her cats.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

I don't know why, but I haven't been able to get into any sitcoms this season for some reason. I love The Office, 30 Rock and a few other shows, but none of them are holding my attention lately. I'm sure I'll end up catching up on the episodes I'm missing eventually. I did watch the episode after the Superbowl, and it was pretty good.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

After watching all of the original BBC series I was really critical of the first season of the US version. I have to say though, they've kept the same feeling of the original series while expanding/improving on the original. This is easily one of the best sitcoms I've ever watched. As someone who's been drastically effected by the recession, this is something I can count on each week to bring laughter and smiles to myself and those close to me. It's almost become a religious experience for me. :razz:

Am I the only one who feels there is something truly sublime about this show?
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

I similar feeling when I first discovered the show, somewhere near the beginning of season 3. I gobbled up the two available dvd sets and saw everything including all the deleted scenes within a week of seeing my first episode, which happened to be the basketball game from season 1. Sublime is a good word choice.

My favorite scene / quote is when Michael gives the speech to Ryan's business class...
Michael Scott wrote: There are four kinds of business: Tourism. Food service. Railroads. And sales. And hospitals/manufacturing. And air travel.
But then they turned mainstream overnight and the characters became less vibrant. Jim became less meaningful when Pam was no longer his pursuit. He became relegated to one-liners and that hilarious look he makes at the camera. He's still relatively well rounded, but not as interesting and timely as he used to be.

Ryan got fired for fraud. Wtf? He was badass as a boss, and I was looking forward to him becoming more powerful and making a power struggle between him and Scranton / Jim / Michael. Now he's limited as ever and back into the interesting, though less compelling Kellie storyline.

Angela, the worst offender, is no longer an irrational, religious bitch, but now an irrationally loveable Christian whore. I hate her character with as much energy as I can devote towards fiction.

Andy has improved. He's stupidly deficient, which meshes well with Michael's stupidly efficient character. After seeing him drive a golf cart into a sand trap and his nipples bleed during the charity run... he's like Quagmire to Family Guy. Best laughs / minute ratio.

The best of the show is anything that Moes or Creed get a chance to act in. Creed should be in the background of a lot more shots and Moes should get a big part in an episode for a change. His character is brilliantly beet.
I'd hate Hillary just as much if it was a woman. ┌┘ Winnow
you pretentious fuckwits ┌┘ Nick
:roll: ┌┘ Miir
thoroughly groped┌┘ Xyun
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I was dissapointed that Jim's ex (forget her name!) wasn't pregnant with Jim's baby. That would have made the Jim/Pam relationship interesting for a change.
Lalanae
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

The last episode was great.

Horse Boat! :lol:
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Ding Dong
Fesuni Chopsui
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fesuni Chopsui »

Such a good show...but I will say, I think 30 Rock is funnier :)
Quietly Retired From EQ In Greater Faydark
Ransure
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ransure »

My DVR cut off the last minute of the office... someone help!! spoiler below.
[Show]
Did Michael really quit?
This 2cp has been brought to you by DOKURANGER!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Actually not having a go, but it really does show the difference in comedy taste that the Atlantic divides.

The Gervais version of the Office is actually one of the funniest, most painful, brilliantly done shows of all time. The American version, to me, seems like little more than a cheap knock off that entirely missed the point. Flame on if you like, it did need to be said.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fuck America! Yeah!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

God you are such a fucking joke.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Nick I thought the same at first, but after getting used to that humor I found it getting better and better over time. If UK office still was around I'd love to be watching that instead, but this is still better than 99% of the crap on network tv.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Nick wrote:Flame on if you like,

STFU and take it like a ma...well take it like a 20 something rebellious college student painfully overusing their thesaurus trying to say things that would be much less nauseating if stated less gayly.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

That's cool Kev, obviously people have different tastes. I haven't watched the newer American episodes.

Winnow, your guy lost, get over it! And stop the wannabe Midnyte shtick, it's embarrassing.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

If you've only watched episodes from the first season, you need to revisit it. I gave up on the show after Season 1, but when Netflix had Season 2 available for Instant Viewing, I gave it another try and I am soooooooo glad I did. The show was flat out brilliant once they developed the peripheral characters. And those characters are some of the richest comedic personalities I've ever seen.

I love love love the UK version, but it is a different show with a different dynamic and its really not worth comparing them as if one is better than the other. They are both great!
Lalanae
Gnomies
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Gnomies »

some of my favorite parts:

Jim dresses up like Dwight.

Jim: Question. What kind of bear is best?
Dwight: That's a ridiculous question.
Jim: False. Black bear.
Dwight: Well, that's debatable. There are basically two schools of thought...
Jim: Bears eat beets. Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Dwight Schrute: Bears do not... what is going on? What are you doing?

When the new HR girl came in to work, and thought Kevin was handicapped...

Kevin: wait, back up...you think i'm retarded?

and when Michael was talking about Phyllis's looks.

Michael: ya know the only thing im worried about? Is gettin' a bon-er.
Gnomies Tinkerbeans~
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

If you watched this weeks episode, here's the video Ryan was watching on his laptop. Priceless :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ3oHpup ... r_embedded

It's just like a mini mall!
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

hahaha, thanks for finding that :)
Lalanae