Interview Help!

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Interview Help!

Post by sarlen »

So I applied for a Systems Admin job and have made it through 3 phone interviews. I got a call today from someone in their HR department for an on-site interview that she described as a “group interview”. She said it would be me and two other candidates. This is the first time I have ever herd of a group type interview, has anyone here been through this type of interview before? What’s it all about?
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Re: Interview Help!

Post by valryte »

WTF, are they going to throw you in a cage and have you fight for the position?

When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I haven't seen that type of interview before :?

I have seen where two or three people would conduct the interview though.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Boogahz wrote:I haven't seen that type of interview before :?

I have seen where two or three people would conduct the interview though.
Agreed - Are you sure they didn't just mean there would be multiple interviewers with each candidate individually?

I.e. 3 people from the company with you.

2 hours later 3 people from the company with another candidate etc...

I've never heard of company conducting interviews with multiple candidates in the same interview - seems like a recipe for disaster.
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

I poked around a bit on line and found some examples of group interviews like the one mentioned by the HR person. Apparently its designed to put you under stress. They want to see how well you operate while under tremendous pressure in a team/group environment. They will often make you group up with other candidates to do some problem solving that's relative to the position.

Sounds to me like it really sucks, while I work in a group every day and we all work well together I'm not sure how my strong personality will translate to working with people I don't know in front of a panel of strangers critiquing my every word/gesture.
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

sarlen wrote:I poked around a bit on line and found some examples of group interviews like the one mentioned by the HR person. Apparently its designed to put you under stress. They want to see how well you operate while under tremendous pressure in a team/group environment. They will often make you group up with other candidates to do some problem solving that's relative to the position.

Sounds to me like it really sucks, while I work in a group every day and we all work well together I'm not sure how my strong personality will translate to working with people I don't know in front of a panel of strangers critiquing my every word/gesture.
Steamroll those bitches -- err I mean good luck with it.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I'm not sure I'd want to work for a company that did a group interview. I strongly feel that a job applicant should use the interview process as a way to deduce the type of organizational climate they will be eventually working in, and that would be a huge red flag to me, and not really appropriate for the type of job you are applying for. It's not like you're competing for a job as an astronaut (The Right Stuff came to mind) :P It sounds like a game show or Survivor.

At any rate, when interviewing people are often working so hard to secure the job that they fail to pick up on tell-tale signs that the company will not be a good fit. It's as much your opportunity to interview them as it is for them to interview you. Throwing me in a room with "the competition" would be HIGHLY insulting to me and just tells me what I can expect from them as an employee. Fuck that.

With that said, good luck! :)
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Lalanae wrote:It's as much your opportunity to interview them as it is for them to interview you.
I agree with this 100%.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I've never heard of group interviews, I've been in a "hostile" one where they tried to do the same thing.

Pay close attention the interviewers, you may not want to work there.

Good luck!
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Any of you that have interviewed for a sys admin type job, did you wear a suit and tie or Khakis and collared shirt?

Also I have read that taking notes in an interview is a no no, how do you all feel about it?
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

I ALWAYS wear a suit and tie to an interview, no matter what the company's dress code is. Always feel it's better to give an impression.

As far as taking notes, I do, but minimally, and always maintain eye contact with the interviewer(s). I mostly take notes as good questions pop into my head so I don't forget when they inevitably ask "So do you have any questions for us?".
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

sarlen wrote:Any of you that have interviewed for a sys admin type job, did you wear a suit and tie or Khakis and collared shirt?

Also I have read that taking notes in an interview is a no no, how do you all feel about it?

Well it wasn't an systems admin job, it was a level 2 help desk job in Manhattan but I wore the suit and tie.. And I didnt take notes.
Timmah.

Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

I've only interviewed in person half a dozen times, all for technical positions, always in a suit and I do take minimal notes.

I've been the interviewer a lot more times, wearing a suit makes a good impression, as does taking some notes and asking sensible questions pertaining to the job\company when asked. Technical aspects might only be ~50% of whether I'd give a go no-go to hire someone.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I would take some minimal notes when it comes time for you to ask the potential employer questions about the company, especially benefits. I don't believe it's really necessary to take notes when the interviewer is asking you questions, but when it comes to the "So Jim, what would you like to know about XYZ?" part of the interview, I'd pull out an easily-accessible, small notepad with a few of my questions already jotted down, ask them, and make some quick notes.

This just goes back to you interviewing them. It also can play to your advantage, making you look prepared, organized, and serious about the job. I personally think it can also give you an aura of confidence. You're essentailly saying, "I think I'm so good, that I need to make sure your company is worth my skills." Obviously you don't want to come off too cocky, but confidence works in business, just like in dating.

And yeah, always wear a suit, even if its the only time they will ever see you in one. It's one of those things that doesn't really make much logical sense, but it makes a huge impression, so its just part of the game you have to play. If you show up in khakis and your competition shows up in a suit, s/he'll have the upperhand. In a group interview, you'll just look shabby next to her/him.
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

Sounds dumb but I need the notes to remember peoples names. Its an issue I have always had not sure why but when I meet people for the first time I forget their name almost instantly. I can always remember the name the next day but in the moment I cant. When the interview/meeting/whatever is over and its time to shake hands I like to address people by name, seems more personable.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

sarlen wrote:Sounds dumb but I need the notes to remember peoples names. Its an issue I have always had not sure why but when I meet people for the first time I forget their name almost instantly. I can always remember the name the next day but in the moment I cant. When the interview/meeting/whatever is over and its time to shake hands I like to address people by name, seems more personable.
Definitely take notes then (minimal if possible).

Even if it is irrelevant to your interest in the job or company, if you can't remember the interviewer (s) name (s) they may take it as a lack of interest.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

When the interviewers introduce themselves, repeat their names back when you counter-greet them. (i.e. "Hi Bob, nice to meet you). That should help you remember the name somewhat. I find it helps me. Otherwise I never remember.

Personally, I find using a persons name in conversion beyond the initial greeting ("Well Bob, the thing is..") is kinda creepy and unnatural, but I think I read somewhere that people like hearing their own names and that it can be used as a positive tactic. It's just not me.

If you have to write it down, do not make it look obvious that you are writing their name down. Even though its a common issue, it could make you look like you have shitty memory skills if you can't remember someone's name. Just accept it as a weakness and make a real effort to focus on everyone's name during introductions.

Note that if a slew of folks are instroduced one after the other without time for you to shake their hands between each individual introduction, it would be OK to say "I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name" when you get to them (to shake their hand initially). Just don't wait until the end of the interview to tell them you didn't catch their name. By the end of an interview, you want the vibe between you and the interviewer to be familiar, and there is nothing worse than a "What's your name again?" to kill that vibe. Ever connected with someone you just met and as you were parting ways, thinking that you may have just met a new friend, they ask you what your name was? It can be a tiny blow to the ego. It's a little silly, but it's how people work. No one likes having their name forgotten.
Lalanae
Sirensa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sirensa »

The company that Sylvos works for does group interviews and it is extremely ineffective. I don't know exactly the specifics, but some companies apparently think it is a nice way to save time on the interviewing process. And yeah it's a bunch of interviewees all being interviewed at once. Stupid I think.

I've been on plenty of panel interviews where I am interviewed by 3-6 people at once. It's really not that bad. The worst interview I had took 4 hours. Came down to me and another guy and I lost - super bummer!

Regarding names - you may be able to get the names of the people interviewing you ahead of time. At least that way you can memorize the names and just try to put them to a face. I usually ask the person who schedules the interview if they know the names of who I will be interviewing with. Write it down then (ahead of time) and memorize!

Regarding notes - I'm personally not a fan of an interviewee taking notes during an interview and don't myself, but that could depend on your field. But I would prepare some questions ahead of time. Though rather than write them down, I would just memorize them. But be flexible enough to ask something else if your question has already been answered.

Best advice I could give is to be yourself, dress and act professionally and relax (and don't try to be too funny). Interviewing sucks - on both ends!

On a personal note - I had an interview today for a job I would love! So I feel your interviewing pain.
cid
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cid »

Wear a suit gimp. Have your own copy of your res and take a few key notes on it.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

better yet, wear a gimp suit
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Wear a gimp suit, gimp.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ask your own questions as lalanae mentioned. It makes you appear a lot more interested in the position if you ask questions.

Suit (without the coat if it's 100 degrees like it is here in AZ)is a must IMO. That's just expected in an interview even if you're interviewing to be a janitor.

Eye contact. Lots of eye contact. Try to look confident in your responses while maintaining eye contact. If it's a panel interview, make sure you bounce around to each person on the panel so it doesn't look like you're focused on one person.

Smile. Someone that doesn't smile isn't getting hired by me. (I don't mean having a big shit eating grin 100% of the time, just a friendly smile here and there)

Don't be a robot.

As politicians do, if you can't answer a question, do your best to sidestep it and provide a response that is meaningful and positive on some other topic that might relate to what was asked.

Sell yourself. It's great that you can answer all the questions but adding extra information about why you'd do well in the position (without sounding like an asshole) is a good thing along with the asking questions part.

If you remember their names, don't use them during the interview but when shaking hands at the end, repeat their names.

Be prepared for the lame standard questions. "where do you see yourself in five years" etc.

Don't sound desperate but definitely give the interviewer(s) the impression that you would like the job (even if you really don't...who cares, at least you'll have an option of accepting it if you don't find work elsewhere)

Be yourself but answer the questions the way you think the interviewers want them answered. Don't go on a five minute speech about your feelings on vacations and sick days. They don't want to hear about it. Present your responses in a way that benefits the manager and company. They are trying to fill a position with a reliable employee that will be productive.

As for group interviews, I've only heard of those for positions like flight attendants, etc. Those are lame. They're designed to point out certain characteristics but I think people act differently in interviews than as they would during their normal job routine so it's a false impression given if forced to compete head to head at the same time.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Winnow wrote: As politicians do, if you can't answer a question, do your best to sidestep it and provide a response that is meaningful and positive on some other topic that might relate to what was asked.
The hell for? I'd think you're an idiot that didn't know the answer or understand the question.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:
Winnow wrote: As politicians do, if you can't answer a question, do your best to sidestep it and provide a response that is meaningful and positive on some other topic that might relate to what was asked.
The hell for? I'd think you're an idiot that didn't know the answer or understand the question.
better than saying that you have no clue about a question asked or sitting there with a stupid look on your face. Make the best of it!

something like this:

"Give me an example of a good experience you've had with X and why it was good"

If you can't think of a good experience worth talking about you could answer something like this:

"There are several good experiences I've had with X but I'd rather tell you about a bad experience that I was able to make the best of"

Whatever, just don't sit there looking stupid.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I've never worn a suit for an interview.... ever.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Congratulations?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

miir wrote:I've never worn a suit for an interview.... ever.
:vv_yeahthat:

It is possible to dress nice without being in a suit. I will also say that I have never applied for a job that actually required a suit, which could be a reason why I have not worn one.
Last edited by Boogahz on October 27, 2008, 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I would almost consider it inappropriate to wear a suit on an interview for a job that doesn't require a suit.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

miir wrote:I would almost consider it inappropriate to wear a suit on an interview for a job that doesn't require a suit.
I strongly disagree, but I suppose we can do that!

As someone who has has been the hiring manager (and therefore one of the main interviewers) for probably over 100 jobs in the past 10 years, I find it to be a huge turn off if someone does not wear a suit - and none of the jobs "required" a suit.... Maybe I'm just old school, but if you are going in to an interview to impress someone, dress the part - just proper etiquette if you ask me.

Granted, these were all desk jobs of some sort (anywhere from IT Support, to Accountants, to Process Management etc), but not in any case was a suit required by the company.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I guess the people that have interviewed and hired me were more concerned about qualifications, experience and personality. Mind you, I never went to an interview dressed like a slob. I always made sure my clothes were clean and wrinkle-free.

If me wearing a suit has any bearing on me getting the job, I probably wouldn't want the job anyway.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I usually check the company out on the web, check their stock prices and ask their customers questions. Fortunately I have many of the same customers, so that was easy.

If you come in knowledgeable about their company, what was on their web site, etc, you look like you took the time to research them. One thing I was told by a recruiter though, is do not talk salary. If they ask you for a number and you give them one you could either price yourself out of the market, or lower the number they were willing to give you.

I have never heard that taking notes was bad, but I usually had a notepad with a number of questions on them already written and as they answer them I check them off. If you just ask them beforehand, "I have brought a number of questions with me, I know during the course of the interview you will be answering many of them, but I like to take notes especially if something comes up that I want to ask about. I don't want to interrupt the interview process so if you do not mind I will take some notes." or some sort of bullshit line. If you are in a group environment and are taking notes, listening and have researched the company, it makes you stand out.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

miir wrote:I guess the people that have interviewed and hired me were more concerned about qualifications, experience and personality. Mind you, I never went to an interview dressed like a slob. I always made sure my clothes were clean and wrinkle-free.

If me wearing a suit has any bearing on me getting the job, I probably wouldn't want the job anyway.
Again, I respectfully disagree with you.

If you can't be bothered to wear a suit out of respect to a potential employer, I don't want you on my team.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Oh and as a side note to sarlen -

If you wear a suit, there is no downside. No one will think "worse" of you for wearing a suit, no matter what the employers dress code is.

However, if you don't wear a suit there is a chance it could be read as a sign of disrespect, or lack of desire to have the job - (whether or not that's appropriate isn't the point).

So why not wear a suit?
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Canoe wrote:Again, I respectfully disagree with you.

If you can't be bothered to wear a suit out of respect to a potential employer, I don't want you on my team.
I've never worn a suit to an interview but I always had on nice ironed dress shirts/pants and a tie. For some reason your posts remind me of How I Met Your Mother. Suit up!
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I have also always received at least an offer from every interview I have had. I have turned a couple down, but I was always considered even without a suit. I say Canoe is just too uptight, and needs to get more in-touch with the "newer" generations! :P
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Boogahz wrote:I have also always received at least an offer from every interview I have had. I have turned a couple down, but I was always considered even without a suit. I say Canoe is just too uptight, and needs to get more in-touch with the "newer" generations! :P
I also think it has to do with what positions you're going to interview for. All of the positions I've gone for, I wouldn't be wearing a suit, like ever. Most of them were Software Engineering or QA Engineer, I think they looked surprised I even had a shirt/tie on.

If I were to go for different positions, like say, management in some companies, I'd probably suit up. I think it's all relative to the job you're going for.
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Boogahz wrote:I have also always received at least an offer from every interview I have had. I have turned a couple down, but I was always considered even without a suit. I say Canoe is just too uptight, and needs to get more in-touch with the "newer" generations! :P
I have also received every job I have ever interviewed for - but that's a bad example, too limited a sample.

As I stated above, whether or not you agree with me, there is no downside to wearing a suit, and there is a potential downside to not wearing one (if you god forbid run across an interviewer like me who actually expects an interviewee to wear a suit!), why not take the safe road?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Canoe wrote:So why not wear a suit?
Because I personally feel uncomfortable and constrained in a suit.
Being uncomfortable in an interview is a pretty big negative for me.... personally.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Canoe wrote:
I have also received every job I have ever interviewed for - but that's a bad example, too limited a sample.

As I stated above, whether or not you agree with me, there is no downside to wearing a suit, and there is a potential downside to not wearing one (if you god forbid run across an interviewer like me who actually expects an interviewee to wear a suit!), why not take the safe road?
I feel that if I were to wear a suit to an interview, I would be presenting a false example of what I would be bringing into the workplace. I was actually asked about this when interviewing for my prior job that I was at for 5+ years. I was wearing a tie (which was bad enough), but there was no way I was going to be interviewing in 105 degree weather wearing a full suit. If they wanted someone to do a great job, I was the person. If they wanted someone to just put on a good show, I was not. The offer was actually about 10% above what I was originally expecting based on what they told me the base pay being offered for that position, and it was given to me as I walked out of the building rather than 24 hours later which they originally communicated. I was also bumped up a position based on my drive.

If you are going to be hiring people based on what they wore to the interview, I really don't think you are focusing on the right thing.
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Boogahz wrote:If you are going to be hiring people based on what they wore to the interview, I really don't think you are focusing on the right thing.
You guys are missing the point I was trying to make, but obviously it's completely lost on you, so I'll not try to explain it for the 4th time.

I think on this point, we just agree to disagree.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Canoe wrote:I have also received every job I have ever interviewed for - but that's a bad example, too limited a sample.
I haven't, I've gotten offers from most. I've interviewed for a number jobs I didn't want as research too.

I've also interviewed for a few where it was very obvious they didn't know anything about the position they were interviewing me for. One job I got by answering the Monty Python questions correctly.
lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

miir wrote:I've never worn a suit for an interview.... ever.
I'll dress nice, but I won't wear a suit.
lmnt9
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by lmnt9 »

miir wrote:If me wearing a suit has any bearing on me getting the job, I probably wouldn't want the job anyway.
I couldn't agree more. If you are an interviewer who will make judgements based on whether or not the person being interviewed is wearing a suit - who knows what else you might make unfair assumptions about... I'll pass.
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

I had a phone interview with a different company today and for some reason I was very worked up about this interview before I got on the call. In my nervousness I made a small joke when the headset I was using started to cut in and out, after apologizing for the interruption of picking up the phone and taking off the headset I said "Wheres an I.T. guy when you need one". Ya its not funny and you really had to be there to appreciate it. They laughed at it but I don't know what to think, I always try to be personable and do my best to make them and me comfortable in a conversation but its the first time I have ever made a quip like that in an interview.

Big mistake? small mistake? or is it OK to toss something like that out there?
sarlen
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by sarlen »

lmnt9 wrote:
miir wrote:If me wearing a suit has any bearing on me getting the job, I probably wouldn't want the job anyway.
I couldn't agree more. If you are an interviewer who will make judgements based on whether or not the person being interviewed is wearing a suit - who knows what else you might make unfair assumptions about... I'll pass.

I hear what your saying but..To me anything that gives me an edge or at least helps put me on the same field as the other candidates is a good thing. Frankly I dont care if I have to be pistol whipped every day before my shift, for the kind of money their talking about I'll wear what ever they want.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Well, it should be taken into account that Canoe is an assling and so has to wear a suit to look bigger...
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I mean, if you're interviewing for a job that's casual or business casual (ie: not customer/client facing), there is no need whatsoever to wear a suit. I wouldn't be surprised that some interviewers might even be uncomfotable if you're ridiculously overdressed.

If wearing a suit gives you an advantage over someone else, then maybe the interviewer should be giving more credence to shit that actually matters in a potential employee.... like the ability to do the job. You know, superficial shit like experience, qualifications and personality.
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

miir wrote: If wearing a suit gives you an advantage over someone else, then maybe the interviewer should be giving more credence to shit that actually matters in a potential employee.... like the ability to do the job. You know, superficial shit like experience, qualifications and personality.
yeah thats what i always tell my interviewers right before my interview just to make sure they understand why i didn't go the extra mile for the job that i apparently want

"you may be wondering why i'm dressed up like a douchebag- the answer? i'm so good i don't need to wear a suit!"

NAILED IT!
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Many jobs receive dozens or even hundreds of applicants, many of whom are fully qualified for the job they're applying for.

It is often impossible to pick out one best candidate based on things like experience, qualifications and personality. Often there are several indistinguishable candidates, one of whom will get the job and several of whom will not.

Dressing up for an interview signals eagerness and a desire to impress. This is a definite positive when you're dealing with a whole mess of qualified candidates with similar social skills.

Not all jobs are like this. But employees in many positions are quite fungible. If I'm hiring an investment banker and am picking through the thousands of applications of recently laid off folks, damn right I'm going to pick the one who's eager to impress.

I hate using fight club quotes, but most of us, in most contexts, are not beautiful and unique snowflakes.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I can't stand wearing a suit but understand why it's important during an interview. It's like getting a degree. That's pretty worthless as well (well business and liberal arts degrees) but you have to get one for certain jobs. Same with the suit (or just dress shirt and tie)

I really don't give a damn if that person comes to work all scruffy after they're hired. I don't really like shaving either but I know enough to be clean shaven for an interview.

On a side note. There's plenty of occasions for you liberal pussies to wear sandals and anti Bush/pro socialism T-Shirts but during an interview isn't one of them (at least in the corporate world)

Keep in mind that we're heading into a depression. Put your fucking suit on and be happy when you have a job.