What do you think about the world?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Presidential debate - October 7th

Post by Funkmasterr »

Three questions in now, McCain has directly answered all three, Obama has not, and has instead used all three as opportunities to make jabs and skirt what was asked. Pretty typical.

Glad he already got scolded. Maybe he'll clean his act up for the rest of it.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Presidential debate - October 7th

Post by Xyun »

The title of this thread made me think you were going to talk about the debate on TV right now. Apparently, we're not watching the same thing. You should change the title to reflect the content of your post.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xyun wrote:The title of this thread made me think you were going to talk about the debate on TV right now. Apparently, we're not watching the same thing. You should change the title to reflect the content of your post.
:lol:

Oh no, we are. Care to explain to me why your homeboy seems to think the rules he agreed to don't apply to him (especially after being reminded of that, what, a half a dozen times already)? It's offensive and it's making him look like a totally arrogant douchebag (not that he didn't already.)

EDIT: To clarify, my original post was not a matter of opinion. Watch a replay of the debate when it's over, there is no way you can spin FOR SURE the first three questions as being answered by him. He didn't even attempt to.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

McCain's jokes are bombing. lol. They are so horrible and out of place.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Answer the question. Why don't the rules apply to him?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Because McCain is being such a good little angel.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Funk is not worth responding to in this, or any other thread. What a moron.

Again this looks similiar to the first debate. Obama comes off as cool, collected and to the point, making valid diversions into criticism. McCain looks like an angry old befuddled twat. Who seems to lie a lot.

It's not over yet, but barring any major fuck ups it seems pretty similiar to the debate a few weeks ago.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me. What an arrogant fucking piece of shit. (obama, not the guy above me that isn't worth anybody's time here.)

How can you possibly defend his right to continue to interrupt the way this debate is supposed to go for his own arrogant reasons? Fucking ridiculous.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Obama coming off as cool and collective, I'm sorry but I can't help but ridicule you on this you immature, idiotic little tool. Yeah, the guy that is so pissed he has to keep talking out of turn is calm and collective. Talk about delusional, jesus..
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:Because McCain is being such a good little angel.
Did he talk out of turn before Obama did it for the 30th time? (rhetorical question, btw)
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

They're both doing it, you stupidity-blinded little bitch, and they've been doing it from the start. The whole format for this "town hall" that's not a town hall meeting is ridiculous. It's nearly impossible to meaningfully address any of the topics raised by the questioners. It's pretty much a waste of time, but in terms of who is delivering the better performance, I'd say it's about even in terms of delivery, but Obama is crushing him when it comes to details and facts. McCain is doing a much better job of spewing lies, half-truths and snark. I don't think that will work for him.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xatrei wrote:They're both doing it, you stupidity-blinded little bitch, and they've been doing it from the start. The whole format for this "town hall" that's not a town hall meeting is ridiculous. It's nearly impossible to meaningfully address any of the topics raised by the questioners. It's pretty much a waste of time, but in terms of who is delivering the better performance, I'd say it's about even in terms of delivery, but Obama is crushing him when it comes to details and facts. McCain is doing a much better job of spewing lies, half-truths and snark. I don't think that will work for him.

BULLSHIT dude, you are flat out fucking lying to my face. McCain finally said something, after the prick had done it about a half dozen times, because it's only fair if Obama is going to continue doing it.

Put aside your fucking love for the piece of shit and admit it for christ sake.

What a fucking_joke.
Kaldaur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Kaldaur

Post by Kaldaur »

I would like to add an ASS for emphasis.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

The only one mistaken in this thread is your crazy, delusional ASS*, Sir Spitsalot.

*added in honor of Kal's post.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

As soon as the video is posted on youtube then, I'm gonna post it, and I want you to show me specifically where McCain did it before he got tired of Obama doing it and said something.

Jesus christ I've never listened to such blind bullshit lies in my fucking life.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I sandblasted a toilet at Target today.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Gobama!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Seriously, this thread so far could be summed up by:

Funkmasterr: Grass is green.

Xatrei/nick/xyun: Um, no. It's purple, you idiot.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Umm, usually the losing side is the crybaby.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Q: How far will you go fear-mongering about Iran nuking Israel?

McCain: I'll go pretty far. Surprised? Hey, why not a Holocaust reference? That scary enough for you?

Obama: I acknowledge your desire for fear-mongering, and let me make clear I'm no wuss. But diplomacy and sanctions are also things that exist.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

McCain called the person in the audience who asked a question Allen when his name was Oliver, but other than that he did Ok.

Obama made a big speech about how he was able to go to the best colleges despite some hard times and then said that you couldn't do that anywhere else in the country when he meant the world.

Gaffes were about equal tonight. Our nation is pretty fucked no matter who gets elected for a couple years minimum. Euros and Asians are screwed as well!

Seems to me that Barry Obama has been spoiled his whole life and doesn't know when to shut up. BO needs to move on and adhere to the rules sometimes.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

THAT ONE
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

Do you really want the President of the United States to be dictated to by the likes of Tom Brokaw? Pahlease....
valryte
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by valryte »

McCain knows how to get Osama bin Laden!!!

holy shit dude, where the fuck have you been all these years?!?! Why didn't you tell us earlier, we could have gotten him and avoided that BS war...oh yeah, forgot...keep it a secret so you can win the presidency.
When the world is mine, your death shall be quick and painless.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Nick wrote:THAT ONE
That's going to be a talking point for quite awhile. It really shows McCain's true side and his condescending barely ever bare to look at Obama attitude.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Obama won this one again with cool and even answers. They both repeated many points they made in the first debates which sucked.

McCain is wasting everyone's time. Let me explain.

It starts when McCain will make some vague, half truth comment about Obama. I'll take "Obama turned down a bill to fund our troops" as an example. Obama is then compelled to correct the point by stating that the orginal bill had no withdrawl timeline and was basically a blank check. When the bill was rewriiten to include a timeline, he signed the bill. We can take McCain's other favortie "Obama chose to give Big Oil some huge tax breaks". Once again, Obama is forced to clarify that it's the only big oil bill he has passed becasue it is the only bill that included portions dedicated to alternative energy, while McCain has been giving tax breaks to big oil over his entire career. It goes around and around and detracts from what they should have been talking about. McCain has done this in both debates and I see him continuing in the 3rd. He is simply trying to drive home all his talking points. These are things his staffers tell him may swing the undecided voters. It's contrived and more than a little bit annoying.

Keep the fucking bullshit out of the debate and talk about the issues. Stop muddying the waters.

My idea for a debate would be to place both of them in soundproof booths. Give them the same question, and give them 3 minutes to answer. Your time to answer is cut by 30 seconds everytime you mention your opponent or try pointing out his flaws.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Funkmasterr wrote:As soon as the video is posted on youtube then, I'm gonna post it, and I want you to show me specifically where McCain did it before he got tired of Obama doing it and said something.

Jesus christ I've never listened to such blind bullshit lies in my fucking life.
With my trusty stopwatch in hand, I accept your challenge, dipshit.

Each candidate has 2 minutes to answer the question, with a one minute follow-up period for each candidate to follow with the order reversed from the primary question's order.

Question 1 - Obama: 2:03 (+3) McCain: 2:04 (+4)
Follow-up 1 - McCain 1:13 (+13) Obama: 1:10 (+10)
Question 2 - McCain: 2:12 (+12) Obama: 2:32 (+32)
Follow-up 2 - Obama: 0:46 (-14) McCain: 1:05 (+5)
Question 3 - Obama: 1:01 (+1) McCain: 1:40 (+40)
Follow-up 3 - McCain: 1:27 (+27) (at this point, Brokaw cut short McCain's answer and admonished both candidates to mind the clock) Obama: 2:08 (+68).

As you'll note, they both were guilty of violating the agreed upon time limits from the very start. Obama had 100 seconds of time in excess of the limits to McCain's 101 seconds, so they were both pretty bad about it. Obama didn't receive a smackdown from Brokaw, he admonished both candidates to behave, and only after McCain had gone over by 67 seconds during his two consecutive question periods.

Don't let something as trivial as reality get in the way of your ranting stupidity, though.
Last edited by Xatrei on October 8, 2008, 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

All polls of viewers say that Obama won. I agree, but I actually found McCain to be more likable tonight than I have recently.

I was watching it on CNN where they have the little dial insta-reactions, and it was interesting to note that every time a candidate attacked their opponent, the dial testers reacted negatively.

Ultimately, this was a moderate win for Obama that's actually a big win because of the dynamics of the race at this point.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I got a headache watching it, honestly. Obama seemed somewhat weary and tired. He's ahead, and most likely going to win, but it's definitely taking a lot of work. That said, he was still calm, collected and mostly cool in reaction to a man standing there outright lying about him when that man should/could have been answering questions and explaining why he was the one to choose, instead of the normal republican tactic or explaining why the other guy wasn't the one to choose. People are sick of it. I'm sick of it.

To be fair, there were a few times that I was talking to the TV telling Obama to wrap it up or to answer the question that was asked. (The last question was one for example) He (Obama) certainly wasn't perfect but he was better than McCain, again. It's getting so tedious watching McCain repeat the same lies over and over, even after they've been fact checked repeatedly since he started them. Does he think people are just ignorant? I guess so, it worked for Bush twice.

Oh, and nothing like making new huge financial plans (McCain's buying out bad mortgages) public at a debate. Curious where that money is coming from, and why we as taxpayers are going to finance people's bad decisions for buying houses they kenw they couldn't afford.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

btw - I'll concede that my time measurements might be off by a second in either direction for each measurement, so there is a margin of error here of a second or three to be considered. That however is not relevant since even when taking that into consideration, they were both pretty damned close to each other on their time mismanagement, which thoroughly disproves Funk's claim that Obama was the only one to abuse the limits until McCain got sick of it and joined in.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Xyun wrote:Do you really want the President of the United States to be dictated to by the likes of Tom Brokaw? Pahlease....

Think of it like that lame thing called college. College in no way demonstrates your intelligence over someone else. All it demonstrated to potential employers is that you can force yourself to go through something structured and complete it.

Obama needs to treat these debate rules in the same way. They don't prove anything other than the candidate can follow directions. Just think when/if he has absolute power. He'll be cutting off anyone else who wants to speak. His advisers won't be able to get a word in because Obama can't STFU.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Xatrei wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:As soon as the video is posted on youtube then, I'm gonna post it, and I want you to show me specifically where McCain did it before he got tired of Obama doing it and said something.

With my trusty stopwatch in hand, I accept your challenge, dipshit.

Each candidate has 2 minutes to answer the question, with a one minute follow-up period for each candidate to follow with the order reversed from the primary question's order.

Question 1 - Obama: 2:03 (+3) McCain: 2:04 (+4)
Follow-up 1 - McCain 1:13 (+13) Obama: 1:10 (+10)
Question 2 - McCain: 2:12 (+12) Obama: 2:32 (+32)
Follow-up 2 - Obama: 0:46 (-14) McCain: 1:05 (+5)
Question 3 - Obama: 1:01 (+1) McCain: 1:40 (+40)
Follow-up 3 - McCain: 1:27 (+27) (at this point, Brokaw cut short McCain's answer and admonished both candidates to mind the clock) Obama: 2:08 (+68).

As you'll note, they both were guilty of violating the agreed upon time limits from the very start. Obama had 100 seconds of time in excess of the limits to McCain's 101 seconds, so they were both pretty bad about it. Obama didn't receive a smackdown from Brokaw, he admonished both candidates to behave, and only after McCain had gone over by 67 seconds during his two consecutive question periods.

Don't let something as trivial as reality get in the way of your ranting stupidity, though.
Where did I say anything about time spent answering?

What was pissing me off about Obama was him consistently thinking he got special treatment and could keep making a response after he had his turn to answer the question, even though it was clearly stated in the rules and reiterated to him several times that he was breaking the rules he agreed on.

I guess it's justifiable though, cause McCains just so gosh durn stupid and Ogenius just had to set things straight.

Get over yourself.
Traz-KOE
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Traz-KOE »

What was pissing me off about Obama was him consistently thinking he got special treatment and could keep making a response after he had his turn to answer the question, even though it was clearly stated in the rules and reiterated to him several times that he was breaking the rules he agreed on.

I guess it's justifiable though, cause McCains just so gosh durn stupid and Ogenius just had to set things straight.

Get over yourself.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Whar did ah say ennythin' about time spent answerin'?

Whut in tarnation was pissin' me off about Obama was him cornsissently reckonin' he got special treatment an' c'd keep makin' a response af'er he had his turn t'answer th' quesshun, even though it was clearly stated in th' rules an' reiterated t'him sevahal times thet he was bustin' th' rules he agreed on, as enny fool kin plainly see.

ah guess it's jestifiable though, cuz McCains jest so gosh durn stoopid an' Ojunius jest had t'set thin's straight.

Git on over yo'seff.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

What was pissing me off about Obama was him consistently THINKING HE GOT SPECIAL TREATMENT and could keep making a response after he had his turn to answer the question, even though it was CLEARLY STATED IN THE RULES and reiterated to him several times that he was breaking the rules!!1!!1! he agreed on.

I guess it's justifiable though, cause McCains just so gosh durn stupid and
[Show]
Ogenius just had to set things straight.
Get over yourself.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

McCain has had 26 years to talk.

Barack Obama won this debate.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

I watched about 5 seconds before deciding i had far better things to do.

After looking at some online accounts of it I remain of the firm opinion that I would like two different candidates please.
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I got sick of McCain mudslinging the same old lines and Obama having to waste time responding to them rather then these two actually answering questions.

My favorite response of the night is McCain's about "This is america, we can fucken multitask, bitches!" In the history of the USA, I ask, when has congress multitasked on bills? That there is a flat out lie since everyone knows that the only way to work through a set of problems, is to prioritize, and methodically correct deficiencies...being as productive in that process as the law allows. When congress "multitasks" in a bill, its never approved...that goes back to the earmark argument we had to endure for 33% of the debate as well.

It was that one question and the responses by the candidates that showed who knows what to me. It was simple, and probably forgotten by most, but it was the biggest separation the two had on an issue discussed for the time I watched.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Chmee wrote:I would like two different candidates please.
Me too :(
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

Chmee wrote:I watched about 5 seconds before deciding i had far better things to do.

After looking at some online accounts of it I remain of the firm opinion that I would like two different candidates please.
Took the words out of my mouth.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Of the people that wish for new candidates, who did you guys vote for in the last election?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I voted present.

:fist:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

From my perspective it appeared that both candidtates were taking the facts of each others plans out of context and trying to fear monger a bit.

I did like the question about healthcare being a Right, Responsibility, or a Privilege. On this point I had to agree that it is both a Right and a Responsibility. The American people have the Right to affordable healthcare and the government has the Responsibility to make that happen. In my eyes that is the job of the governement, to protect its people.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Where it said something about answered expense times?

This he was orinandolo it are of about d'Obama was it constantly thinking he it got the special treatment and could it to be able continuous are to make answered after; endossement had its to answer to the question, despite it was declared clearly in the rules and repeated it diverse times that arrived the rules has accosentito on. I guess it' ; the justifiable is in any way, durn of McCains of thus gosh badly dull cause and d' Ogenius dès they had to fix the right things.

Exceeded you.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

miir wrote:Where it said something about answered expense times?

This he was orinandolo it are of about d'Obama was it constantly thinking he it got the special treatment and could it to be able continuous are to make answered after; endossement had its to answer to the question, despite it was declared clearly in the rules and repeated it diverse times that arrived the rules has accosentito on. I guess it' ; the justifiable is in any way, durn of McCains of thus gosh badly dull cause and d' Ogenius dès they had to fix the right things.

Exceeded you.
This made my head spin and I had to read who posted this because I thought it was an entirely different person. Then I laughed when I saw who posted it and why.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fash wrote:I voted present.

:fist:

lol

By the way, I'm still waiting for someone to show me where McCain was trying to talk out of turn (again, before he called Obama on it for doing it half a dozen times or more).

Why don't the rules apply to him? Why is he so important? Is this some kind of reparation that he gets?

Keep in mind, just because I'm posing this doesn't mean I'm saying McCain did a great job at the debate or that it was a worthwhile debate at all. It was worthless on both their parts even by the already low standards/expectations I hold for debates. Neither one of them will just shut their fucking yaps about each other and answer a question. Not that this is new, I think I just get more and more sick of it every election.

Still, I want to know why people feel the need to defend Obama when he is obviously being arrogant.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Obama had to refute the lies that McCain was spewing out of his elderly mouth.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I don't know who they voted for, but I know that Chmee is a strong libertarian type, and while I could be wrong I believe Aab and Canoe lean in that direction also (correct me if I'm wrong, guys).

No surprise that libertarian-leaning folks are turned off by Barack Obama and a national-greatness style Republican.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Still, I want to know why people feel the need to defend Obama when he is obviously being arrogant
Because, back in reality, he isn't?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Nick wrote:
Still, I want to know why people feel the need to defend Obama when he is obviously being arrogant
Ok, rules were made, one of them was that they each got 1 minute to speak, then on to the next question. He continuously started talking again after him and McCain both had their minute (and probably more) to talk, even though it was spelled out to him clearly and he was reminded multiple times that he wasn't supposed to do that.

This says to me that he thought he was important enough that he was above that rule, which was reinforced when he was reminded that he was not supposed to get a chance to respond and continued to do so anyhow.

Now, lets read this:

ar·ro·gant /ˈærəgənt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ar-uh-guhnt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. making claims or pretensions to superior importance or rights; overbearingly assuming; insolently proud: an arrogant public official.
2. characterized by or proceeding from arrogance: arrogant claims.

Not really a matter of opinion, buddy.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Nick wrote:
Arrogant in this case is Neocon code for "uppity".
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower