Metallica - Death Magnetic (leaked)

Post by Taison Earbiter »

"The secret of being boring is to say everything."
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Metallica - Death Magnetic (leaked)

Post by Aslanna »

Giving it a listen... It surely can't be as bad as St Anger and the other crappy ones before that. Although seeing the song 'The Unforgiven III' there isn't giving me much to hope for.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

I've just listened to it for the first time, so I should probably let it sit a bit before giving an opinion.

Though I have to say...just my personal opinion....their best album in 20 years. I've always *liked* the Black Album, but I've never put it in my top 3 Metallica albums, so that's why I say best in 20 years (since AJFA). Some of the songs with the goofiest names ('All Nightmare Long') end up being some of the best work on the album. The only real knock I can give it at this point, and it's not something that would ruin it, is that the lyrics aren't on par to the 80's albums.

Again, initial listen and I should probably wait before saying anything. I think it's a solid 8.5/10 (MoP being 10/10 and AJFA being 9/10).

I honestly didn't have a great deal of hope for it after St. Anger. I've always been a pretty big fan (it shows in above comments) and I never was one of the people calling them sellouts, but St.Anger was just sad to listen to.

Anyways...just my two cents. :)
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

They've been playing a live version of Cyanide here on the radio for a couple weeks, and that's the only song I've heard so far...so my opinions are based on that.

Musically, it sounds awesome...but the vocals don't quite do it for me. Lyrically or performance wise. That said, I'll probably be picking it up just to explore more guitar stuff :)
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Dyerseve 1321

Post by Soreali »

Taison you just made my week.. I've been drooling for this album the last couple of weeks. Metallica is my favorite band (even after st. anger which was just depressing). After hearing Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes, I actually started to anticipate and hope for this album. I'm still going to buy it, but I can't wait any longer to listen to it. Found it and downloading now.
Timmah.

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's not as bad as their last CD. I'll put in some serious listening time over the next couple of days. However, after a quick flip through the tracks, nothing really grabbed me. But it's late and I need sleep, so maybe I just be glossed over the whole thing a tad too quickly.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Soreali wrote:Taison you just made my week.. I've been drooling for this album the last couple of weeks. Metallica is my favorite band (even after st. anger which was just depressing). After hearing Cyanide and The Day That Never Comes, I actually started to anticipate and hope for this album. I'm still going to buy it, but I can't wait any longer to listen to it. Found it and downloading now.

Oh you gotta listen through the whole CD.. After finally doing so I was so thrilled I couldn't describe it. I'm still going out and buying it next Friday because unlike St. Anger, they deserve it with this CD. Almost every song is brutal but phenomenal at the same time. I love it.
Timmah.

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I downloaded it. I might listen to it, but I mostly just downloaded it so I could take something from their whiny asses.

Really though, I didn't like their real early stuff, and I haven't liked their new stuff - just a couple of albums in the middle. I'll listen to it at some point.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

IMO, they went downhill rather quickly after Master of Puppets. Once they were on the pop-MTV fasttrack, of course...it happens!

Thanks for the link. I will D/L it and give it a listen. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'll like whatever my radio station tells me to like. In other words, which ever they play 20 times a day. I really like Metallica though when I first heard them all those years ago I didn't. They grew on me.
Taison Earbiter
Gets Around
Gets Around

Yeah, I think they've softened up on the internet downloading thing. I mean they were streaming 3 of the songs pre-leak from their website for free already. I doubt everyone will be as enthusiastic as I was. :)

If anyone doesn't feel like downloading the whole thing and just wants to listen to a song to get a feel for it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC8ee0jGTNQ
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I've had this on my Zune for about a week now.

It's a decent album. Sounds like it was designed to be easy to port to video game format and lo and behold, the whole album is DLC for Guitar Hero 3 as of last night.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/09/ ... album.aspx

At least it's better than the Load/re-load albums. Never bothered with St-Anger after the first single that they had released.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Animalor wrote:I've had this on my Zune for about a week now.

It's a decent album. Sounds like it was designed to be easy to port to video game format and lo and behold, the whole album is DLC for Guitar Hero 3 as of last night.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/09/ ... album.aspx

At least it's better than the Load/re-load albums. Never bothered with St-Anger after the first single that they had released.
Yeah I kinda thought that too. I've listened to the album a bit and it isn't too bad, the guitar is pretty good for the most part and the vocals are forgettable.

I'm deciding if I will download it or not (for GH).. It's gonna be pretty tough, but I wonder just how hard it will be.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

After 2-3 uninterrupted plays of the whole album, I've decided that I like it. I like it a lot. It has "moments of ...and Justice for All", as I like to call them. I like the fact they are back to 8 minute songs too.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

In "related" news...

Post by Ashur »

I discovered my step-dad's step-dad is the lead singer of Megadeth's uncle!

:lol:
- Ash
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: In "related" news...

Post by Soreali »

I've been listening to it non-stop for a week now.. And I honestly love it. And Fair just like you I agree, it has Justice moments.. the first song reminds me of Blackened right away.. Its such an improvement over load/reload/st.anger and even in some aspects the black album.. it should have been released between justice and black album as a bridge..

And as for the vocals, cut the guy a break, he's in his fourties...he obviously doesn't sound like the 20 something year old he was in the good albums, and i think he sounds fine.. he doesn't have the load/reload redneck thing going to badly on this album.
Timmah.

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

The GH3 is fucking brutal. It's great fun to play, but ripping your way through a 9 minute song is pretty goddamn draining!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:The GH3 is fucking brutal. It's great fun to play, but ripping your way through a 9 minute song is pretty goddamn draining!
Haha yeah. I beat them all on my first try through though, I really expected them to be harder :/
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Listened to it fri-sat. The vocals on the album are much, much better than those that our local radio was playing from ozzfest cuts.

It sounds a little bit like new metallica trying to sound like old metallica (if that makes sense)...but if you like old metallica, you'll dig the album.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I think I'm the only person here that doesn't like Metallica at all.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

You can add me to that list.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

miir wrote:I think I'm the only person here that doesn't like Metallica at all.

Treason! :lol:

Just bought my tickets for the 1/31 show (thanks ebay..) so I'm psyched!
Timmah.

Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Not likely. After hearing/seeing the video for day that never comes I'm unimpressed. Hopefully the rest of the songs are better, much better, than that. That was some uninspiring stuff and the video was stupid.
Soreali
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Soreali »

Siji wrote:
Not likely. After hearing/seeing the video for day that never comes I'm unimpressed. Hopefully the rest of the songs are better, much better, than that. That was some uninspiring stuff and the video was stupid.

The rest of the album is completely different from that song (with the exception of Unforgiven 3).
Got my tickets to see them 1/31. Cant friggen wait!
Timmah.

Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

As a follow up, this record has a reverse "grow on me" effect.

The more I listen to it, the less I like it. To the point that I don't like it anymore.
It's a little better than the last couple they put out, but not by much. The more I hear it, the more I think they were just trying to write a "what the fans want" record so they could sell a bunch, and get back in the fans' good graces. Which strikes me as a decidedly pussy thing for Metallica to do. I mean, they were Metallica...they didn't give a fuck about anything. With this record I feel they're more concerned with what the public thinks of them than anything else.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

I couldn't listen to it more than a couple times. It simply makes me think of old guys sitting on their porch trying to act like they're punk while listening to Lawrence Welk and wearing spiked wrist bands. AJFA was the last CD I really liked.. black album after that was ok, but too commercial for me. After that it's all sucked.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

My first impression was that they were trying to sound like their earlier days. Which is cool. But the lyrics jumped out right away to me as being crap. Not to mention his voice sounded a bit on the weak side. Musically I think it's alright but lyrically/vocally... eh. It might be time for Metallica to hang it up and go find a day job. It's definitely not their worst album but I think they were trying too hard.. Or not enough. Hard to tell which!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--