Got bored and started WoW

WoW Discussion
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Got bored and started WoW

Post by Hesten »

Hi guys, i got bored sitting at home with a busted foot, and started to play a little WoW.
But i have seen some really strange issues, and i was wondering if any of you have seen those too.
I started a 10 day trial account, downloaded the trial client, and made a warlock on the Draenor server (some people form work just started new chars there, so figured what the hell).
So i logged in, and tried to send tells to the guy from work that i know are online, since im chatting with him on MSN. No luck, i get a "No player named XXX is currently playing" message, although i know he is online.
The channel they made for a guild for it are likewise empty.

Played around a little, got up to level 14, and got tired of the massive restrictions on trial accounts (no auction house, cant PM people who dont have you on their friends list, cant sign guild charters, cant start groups), and bought the real thing from blizzard.com. And here come the kicker, when you buy it from blizzard.com, anyone would of course think "whee, online bought access to online game, now i can start", but NO, instead i got the following info:
Once your account is fully upgraded you will receive a confirmation email with additional information.
Effective immediately, the leveling restriction on the account has been lifted and you may begin leveling freely during this processing phase, though communication options will still be limited until the upgrade is complete.

Im just not impressed with that really, thats the first online game i have tried where i cant play after i paid for it :(.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Got bored and started WoW

Post by Zaelath »

Could be worse, I believe there was a time you couldn't convert the trial accounts and had to start over...

Of course, if you just bought a full account instead of fudding around w/ upgrade you'd not have had any restrictions ;P
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Yeah, trial accounts are for getting a feel for it. I didn't even know you COULD upgrade your trial to a full (didn't use to be that way).

It takes like, two hours to get level 14 anyways.

Regardless, you'll probably get your email in the next business day (or two)
cadalano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by cadalano »

its not the best way to handle it, but the restrictions are there to try to prevent spamming. i dont blame you though- it is a little ridiculous for a trial account to be cockblocked like that when youre trying to sell the game to a newcomer. they could have come up with a more creative solution, i'm sure
I TOLD YOU ID SHOOT! BUT YOU DIDNT BELIEVE ME! WHY DIDNT YOU BELIEVE ME?
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

cadalano wrote:its not the best way to handle it, but the restrictions are there to try to prevent spamming. i dont blame you though- it is a little ridiculous for a trial account to be cockblocked like that when youre trying to sell the game to a newcomer. they could have come up with a more creative solution, i'm sure
Yeah, that might have been able to come up with a better solution in regards to trial accounts, but I have to say that their solution stopped gold spamming completely. I used to get 1 message every 5 minutes at least, and I can't recall a single time I got a spam message since the patch.

I just had a friend start from trial, and he complained about the same thing. Also, he has comcast and it took him 2 days to patch due to the download being throttled. Sucks for you, you're friends, and I that we missed "Recruit a friend" thing, no Zherva mount for us =(.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Ahh, i found out why i cant talk to my friends.

AFTER buying Wow and BC from http://www.worldofwarcraft.com, since im stuck at home with a sprained foot, so i had to get a digital download, it turns out that the game from http://www.worldofwarcraft.com are US only, and dont seem to be able to run the euro servers.
For extra fun, the same realm names are used, to in my trial I was on Draenor, so i of course though that when i was on the same server as my friends, it would be the right place, but appearantly not.

Do you guys know if there are any way to get the US version to see euro servers, or do i have to mail blizzard and get them to either change me or cancel the Wow buying, and buy the danish version?
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

You'll probably need to start over. There's a euro version of the WoW website you should have been using >< I don't believe they do cross-client transfers at all, but I could be wrong. Really tho, it won't take you long to get back to where you are, so unless you just don't want to pay more then take the quick route and re-buy it.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Yeah, now i just need to get them to cancel the US version, i dont wanna pay 25$ for something i cant use :)
One of my coworkers had a old account lying around, so im borrowing that one instead, so i can play :)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

Used the EU-version meself, never thought about getting the US-version.

Hope you and all yer friends get the same version so you can play on the same server, Hesten! :D
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Hesten wrote:Ahh, i found out why i cant talk to my friends.

AFTER buying Wow and BC from http://www.worldofwarcraft.com, since im stuck at home with a sprained foot, so i had to get a digital download, it turns out that the game from http://www.worldofwarcraft.com are US only, and dont seem to be able to run the euro servers.
For extra fun, the same realm names are used, to in my trial I was on Draenor, so i of course though that when i was on the same server as my friends, it would be the right place, but appearantly not.

Do you guys know if there are any way to get the US version to see euro servers, or do i have to mail blizzard and get them to either change me or cancel the Wow buying, and buy the danish version?
I'd bet it's a matter of changing the contents of the realmlist.wtf file in your WoW folder to match that of your euro mates....
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Would that work if the US and Euro servers had the same name like he mentioned, or does that list also include the identifiers for each?
Psyloche
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Psyloche »

Zaelath wrote:
Hesten wrote:Ahh, i found out why i cant talk to my friends.

I'd bet it's a matter of changing the contents of the realmlist.wtf file in your WoW folder to match that of your euro mates....
I don't know if it still works, but that's how I played on EU servers in about 2 years ago.
Hijoputa 80 DK - Undermine
Psyloche 80 Rogue - Hyjal
Baaka 80 Paladin - Hyjal
Churrasco 70 Tauren Warrior - Firetree
Rennard 70 UD Priest - Firetree
Sinjin617 - Ogame.org (More or less Retired)
Seithyr 70 Monk - Veeshan (Retired)
Psyloche Wenusberg 70 Rogue - Veeshan (Retired)
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

That only takes care of the software side of it. You'll still need to cancel your (US) account and start a new one with WoW EU.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Hehe, working on the cancellation part, and hopefully i can get my money back from the game too, Cant hurt to try at least, since i want the game, just want the right version :)