"Fried" Zucchini (Super high fiber, super low cal!)

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

"Fried" Zucchini (Super high fiber, super low cal!)

Post by Lalanae »

Made this last night. I really liked it. Sure not as tasty as real fried zucchini, but who wants all that fat and calories. The fiber count alone is stunning. NINE grams per serving (see below to compare nutritional values to the real stuff).

Gonna use the breading for "fried" eggplant in a couple days! The ranch dressing powder really adds the flavor. I also sprayed the tops of the breaded zucchini with cooking spray, something I do when I make fake fried tofu. Only adds a couple extra calories but helps the breading become a little crispier.

From http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdet ... ?isid=1276

Ingredients:
2 large zucchini; ends removed
3/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original); ground to a breadcrumb-like consistency in a blender or food processor
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters)
1 tbsp. powdered ranch dressing/dip mix
1/4 tsp. plus 1 dash garlic powder
1/4 tsp. plus 1 dash onion powder
1/4 tsp. plus 1 dash oregano
2 dashes pepper
2 dashes salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut zucchini into half-inch-wide circles. Blot away any excess moisture with a paper towel. Place egg substitute in a medium-sized dish, and season with a dash each of garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, and pepper. In a separate medium-sized container, combine cereal breadcrumbs with 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano -- add the ranch mix and a dash each of salt and pepper, and then mix well. Set out a baking pan, and spray with nonstick spray. Toss zucchini circles in the egg substitute until they are all evenly covered. One by one, coat zucchini with breadcrumbs (giving them a shake first to remove excess egg substitute), and lay them flat on the baking pan. Place in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes. Flip zucchini circles over, and return to the oven for about 10 more minutes, or until outsides are crispy and zucchini is cooked through. MAKES 3 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 1/3rd of recipe (1 generous serving)
Calories: 78
Fat: <1g
Sodium: 578mg
Carbs: 20g
Fiber: 9g
Sugars: 4g
Protein: 5g

POINTS® value 1*

REAL Fried Zucchini Nutritional values
Serving Size: 1 small order (or about half of a large order/appetizer)
Calories: 450
Fat: 27g
Sodium: 750mg
Carbs: 35g
Fiber: 2g
Sugars: 5g
Protein: 11g

POINTS® value 11*
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Bojangels
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Re: "Fried" Zucchini (Super high fiber, super low cal!)

Post by Bojangels »

I made these tonight, they were pretty awesome. I was never a big zucchini eater, but I'll definitely add this into the rotation. Thanks for the recipe!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: "Fried" Zucchini (Super high fiber, super low cal!)

Post by noel »

Lala, thanks for posting this. It's always great to have a new, healthy recipe to try out.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.