#1 down, #2 down

What do you think about the sports world?
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

#1 down, #2 down

Post by Ashur »

Crazy BCS Bedlam inc!
Last edited by Ashur on December 2, 2007, 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Ash
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Re: #2 down, is #1 next?

Post by Tyek »

It is AWESOME!!!!

Someone will be named a National Champion, but this year more then almost any other, it will be in name only. I hope this helps with the Playoff push.

How great will it be to have someone in the Final who has lost one of their last few games of the season, or did not even win their conference.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Morgrym
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Morgrym »

Hell, put HI in the title game...at least they deserve it.
Chachi (Whisperwind) <retired>

FKA Morgrym / Skrunch (Veeshan) <retired>
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

My god, why do I think LSU could lose 4 games and still be "deserving of a National Championship shot." Why don't we just change the title game to SEC Champion vs. whoever else they think will earn the shot to be destroyed by the almighty SEC champ.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: #1 down, #2 down

Post by Winnow »

Match up OhioSU with USC so they can be humiliated again!

ASU might go to the Fiesta Bowl but since the city would make more money if an out of state team is invited, Arizona State might not get to play Oklahoma in the Fiesta.

What a mess. If ASU beat USC, they'd be playing for the National Championship vs OhioSU. That's how messed up this season has been. Neither team deserves to be there.

They really need an eight team playoff. It's a joke the way it stands. Eight teams. If you don't make the cut to eight, you probably weren't national champion material anyway. That's three weeks and can include the seven largest bowls, rotating them between Finals, Semi, and quarter bowl games. Every seven years, one of the big seven would host the National Championship game. That's not bad.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

it'll be OSU vs LSU
- Ash
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

What I am hoping for is a bad, sloppy game between Ohio State and whoever. The I want one of the other top 5 teams to absolutely bury there opponent so we end up with some sort of split title again. The more this systems shits the bed the better.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

ohio state does not deserve to play in the national championship game. Even a team like Florida would wipe the floor with the OSU. Big 10 is such shit and so overhyped. Oh and by the way, hawaii is losing to washington as I type this so they may not have an argument either. The best 4 teams in the nation are LSU, USC, Oklahoma and Georgia. Any combination of these teams for the title would be fine by me... but fucking ohio state?
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Xatrei
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xatrei »

Xyun wrote:Oh and by the way, hawaii is losing to washington as I type this so they may not have an argument either.
Haha - fucking Washington managed to piss away a 21-0 lead. 35-28 Hawaii. Hawaii still doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the championship game, though.
"When I was a kid, my father told me, 'Never hit anyone in anger, unless you're absolutely sure you can get away with it.'" - Russel Ziskey
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hell, even OhioSU beat Washington (but were losing at halftime). That doesn't mean anything!

Oregon - pre Dixon injury
USC
Arizona State

If you beat one of those Pac-10 teams this year, you can talk some smack.

If OhioSU plays LSU for the championship, they're going to need some serious filler comments from the announcers in the2nd half with LSU up by 20+.

I'd like to see ASU play Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl so Xyun and I can talk some trash for a month!
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

I think it would be a close game if OSU and LSU played. LSU is a regular style offense so it wouldn't be a bad matchup against OSU defense.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

In an 8 team playoff, the teams would be:

Ohio State
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
USC
LSU
Oklahoma
Georgia
Hawaii

Agreed?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Rivals.com bowl projections. I hope they are wrong, these bowl games would suck.
BCS Bowls
BCS Title Game: BCS No. 1 vs. BCS No. 2 (Jan. 7, 8 p.m., FOX)
The Matchup: Ohio State vs. LSU
The Buzz: One of the wildest seasons ever yields this title game - we think.

ORANGE: BCS game (Jan. 3, 8 p.m., Fox)
The Matchup: Virginia Tech vs. West Virginia
The Buzz: Former Big East rivals get together to mix it up. WVU will bemoan what could've been.

FIESTA: BCS game (Jan. 2, 8 p.m., Fox)
The Matchup: Oklahoma vs. Kansas
The Buzz: A quasi-Big 12 playoff game in the desert. Arizona State is another who could face OU.

SUGAR: BCS game (Jan. 1, 8:30 p.m., Fox)
The Matchup: Georgia vs. Hawaii
The Buzz: The unbeaten Warriors will be in the BCS. The question is where they'll play.

ROSE: BCS game (Jan. 1, 4:30 p.m., ABC)
The Matchup: USC vs. Illinois
The Buzz: Look for Rose Bowl folks to make sure they have a Big Ten/Pac-10 matchup.

I think we will see the LSU and OSU game for the title, which I have mixed emotions about. I know LSU is good, but I never felt they were as strong as everyone says they are.

I would love to see a Georgia - USC Rose Bowl game if this occurs. If you are going to have a title game instead of a playoff, I think it means USC or LSU or Oklahoma should play for the title since they actually won their conference. If you don't win your conference, how can you win the fictional National Title?

I think Illinois - Hawaii would be an entertaining game. Then West Virginia vs. Kansas and finally Oklahoma vs. Virginia Tech (who is the crappiest team of the ones they are saying could play for the title.)
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Rivals.com Non-BCS bowl game predictions. Wow look how lucky we are. These bowl games are great. I mean look, finish 9th in the Big 12 and you get to go to the Texas bowl to celebrate the fact that you were better then the bottom 3 teams in your league. Then of course the always necessary SEC #8 vs Big 12 #8 bowl matchup. UCLA can celebrate a mediocre 6 win season with a bowl game????? Wow.

I need to apologize, I thought these bowl games were a waste, now I see how important they are.

Seriously, give us a playoff. You can still have these shitty bowl games and will get the same crowd to watch these games.
Non-BCS Bowls

GMAC: C-USA#2 vs. MAC #1 (Jan. 6, 8 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Tulsa vs. Bowling Green
The Buzz: To whet your appetite for the big one, there's this.

INTERNATIONAL: Big East #5 vs. MAC #3 (Jan. 5, noon, ESPN2)
The Matchup: Rutgers vs. Ball State
The Buzz: This is in Toronto. Hey, what have the Canadians done to deserve this?

CAPITAL ONE: Big Ten #2 vs. SEC #2 (Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ABC)
The Matchup: Michigan vs. Florida
The Buzz: Ohio State's likely ascension into title game means Wolverines will be headed to Orlando.

GATOR: ACC #3 vs. Big East #2/Big 12 #4 (Jan. 1, 1 p.m., CBS)
The Matchup: Virginia vs. Texas Tech
The Buzz: Though Virginia didn't make it to the ACC title game, the Cavs may get a chance to play in Jacksonville, Fla., after all.

COTTON: Big 12 #2 vs. SEC #4 (Jan. 1, 11:30 a.m., Fox)
The Matchup: Missouri vs. Arkansas
The Buzz: My, what a comedown for Mizzou. The Tigers were one win away from playing in the national title game.

OUTBACK: Big Ten #3 vs. SEC #3 (Jan. 1, 11 a.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Wisconsin vs. Tennessee
The Buzz: The Vols went here last season, and could return after their loss in the SEC title game.

INSIGHT: Big Ten #6 vs. Big 12 #7 (Dec. 31, 8 p.m., NFL Network)
The Matchup: Purdue vs. Oklahoma State
The Buzz: Purdue's passing attack vs. Oklahoma State's rushing attack - could either defense do anything?

CHICK-FIL-A: ACC #2 vs. SEC #5 (Dec. 31, 7:30 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Clemson vs. Auburn
The Buzz: A nice regional matchup in Atlanta. It would be a tough ticket.

MUSIC CITY: ACC #5/6/7 vs. SEC #6/7 (Dec. 31, 4 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Florida State vs. Kentucky
The Buzz: Kentucky had a chance to play on New Year's Day but stumbled down the stretch.

SUN: Big East #2/Big 12 #6 vs. Pac-10 #3 (Dec. 31, 2 p.m., CBS)
The Matchup: USF vs. Oregon State
The Buzz:Gator Bowl will take a Big 12 team, so Sun gets first pick of Big East's non-BCS teams.

HUMANITARIAN: ACC #8 vs. WAC (Dec. 31, 2 p.m., ESPN2)
The Matchup: Georgia Tech vs. Fresno State
The Buzz: Boise State doesn't want to play at home, so Fresno could fill WAC's spot.

ARMED FORCES: Mountain West #3/4 vs. Pac-10 #6 (Dec. 31, 12:30 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: UCLA vs. Air Force
The Buzz: If the Pac-10 gets two teams into the BCS, it won't be able to fill its slot.

INDEPENDENCE: Big 12 #8 vs. SEC #8 (Dec. 30, 8 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Colorado vs. Alabama
The Buzz: A short trip for the Tide, but will Alabama fans show up for this one?

ALAMO: Big Ten #4 vs. Big 12 #5 (Dec. 29, 8 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Penn State vs. Texas A&M
The Buzz: Your coaching matchup: Joe Paterno vs. Gary Darnell.

LIBERTY: C-USA #1 vs. SEC #6/7 (Dec. 29, 4:30 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: UCF vs. Mississippi State
The Buzz: The George O'Leary-Sylvester Croom coaching matchup would be an interesting one.

MEINEKE CAR CARE: ACC #5 vs. Big East #3 (Dec. 29, 1 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Wake Forest vs. Connecticut
The Buzz: UConn got the nod over Cincinnati, presumably because bowl officials think the Huskies will sell more tickets.

EMERALD: ACC #5/6/7 vs. Pac-10 #4/5 (Dec. 28, 8 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Maryland vs. Oregon
The Buzz: A post-Christmas/pre-New Year's trip to San Francisco? Hey, that's a nice reward.

TEXAS: Big 12 #9 vs. C-USA #6 (Dec. 28, 8 p.m., NFL Network)
The Matchup: TCU* vs. Houston
The Buzz: If the Big 12 gets two teams in the BCS, it won't be able to fill its spot in this bowl. However, this would be an intriguing matchup.

CHAMPS SPORTS: ACC #4 vs. Big Ten #5 (Dec. 28, 5 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Boston College vs. Michigan State
The Buzz: You can expect nice weather for this bowl, and fans of these teams should appreciate that.

HOLIDAY: Big 12 #3 vs. Pac-10 #2 (Dec. 27, 8 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Texas vs. Arizona State
The Buzz: The Sun Devils are hoping they end up in the Fiesta Bowl instead.

MOTOR CITY: Big Ten #7 vs. MAC #2 (Dec. 26, 7:30 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Indiana vs. Central Michigan
The Buzz: Central Michigan looked good in winning the MAC title game.

HAWAII: WAC vs. C-USA #5 (Dec. 23, 8 p.m., ESPN)
The Matchup: Boise State vs. East Carolina
The Buzz: Boise State is interested in this game because it doesn't really want to play its bowl at home.

LAS VEGAS: Mountain West #1 vs. Pac-10 #4/5 (Dec. 22, ESPN, 8 p.m.)
The Matchup: BYU vs. California
The Buzz: BYU beat Oregon in this bowl last season. This season, they could get a shot at the Golden Bears.

NEW MEXICO: Mountain West #3/4 vs. WAC (Dec. 22, ESPN, 4:30 p.m.)
The Matchup: Nevada at New Mexico.
The Buzz: PETA would like this one: The Wolf Pack vs. the Lobos.

PAPAJOHNS.COM: Big East #4 vs. C-USA #3 (Dec. 22, ESPN2, 1 p.m.)
The Matchup: Cincinnati vs. Southern Miss
The Buzz: Cincinnati won't be happy to be there, and Southern Miss is looking for a new coach.

NEW ORLEANS: Sun Belt #1 vs. C-USA #4 (Dec. 21, ESPN2, 8 p.m.)
The Matchup: Florida Atlantic vs. Memphis
The Buzz: FAU was the surprise winner of Sun Belt. Memphis should take a nice contingent of fans to the Crescent City.

POINSETTIA: Mountain West #2 vs. at-large / Navy (Dec. 20, ESPN, 9 p.m.)
The Matchup: Utah vs. Navy
The Buzz: If Utah gets an invitation, its run defense will be tested by the Midshipmen.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Ohio State
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
USC
LSU
Oklahoma
Georgia
Hawaii

Agreed?
If you read all the shit about the amazing SEC, the playoff teams should be...

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
LSU
Kentucky
South Carolina

You would of course give LSU a bye week and let Ohio State have a play-in game against Auburn or Kentucky or South Carolina.
Momopi
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Momopi »

Tyek wrote:

Ohio State
West Virginia
Virginia Tech
USC
LSU
Oklahoma
Georgia
Hawaii

Agreed?
If you read all the shit about the amazing SEC, the playoff teams should be...

Florida
Georgia
Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
LSU
Kentucky
South Carolina

You would of course give LSU a bye week and let Ohio State have a play-in game against Auburn or Kentucky or South Carolina.
Are you disputing that top to bottom the SEC isn't the best conference? Yes LSU is overrated this year, but they are still one of the best teams in the nation. If the top 8 teams had a playoff, I'm sure USC or Oklahoma would win.
Momopi Down warder of PD
Naala Momokitty Raid Assassin of PD Meow Meow
Naala the Breeder in Ted Club
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

No I think the SEC is the top conference. I am not disputing that. I just think they are a bit overzealous in their praise sometimes.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

I couldnt sleep last night. I kept dreaming about Pitt-WVU over and over.

FUCK PITT!

FUCK PITT!

FUCK PITT!
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They just said on one of the local TV stations that ASU is going to Holiday Bowl vs Texas. Hawaii will play Oklahoma in the Fiesta (I think)

That pretty much wraps up my interest in the bowl season. I'll root for USC to beat Illinois although that's a joke and a give me win for USC. The Pac-10 will take down the Big Ten once again in their head to head bowl matchup. They'd beat OhioSU as well. OhioSU gets to skate by playing an East team for the National Championship. They should lose, but who knows if LSU knows if LSU can play defense or not.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Looks like OSU gets to lose to another SEC football team in the championship game.

Hawaii is playing Georgia in the Sugar Bowl. You need better local TV stations, Winnow!
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

BCS Bowl Games:

Rose Bowl - USC vs. Illinois
Sugar Bowl - Hawaii vs. Georgia
Orange Bowl - Virginia Tech vs Kansas
Fiesta Bowl - Oklahoma vs. WVU
Championship - Ohio State vs. LSU
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

We will take your charity, thanks!
Fuck Michigan!
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Most of those matchups were crappy. Would rather see a Georgia/USC game in the Rose Bowl.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

yeah, there will be a 20 point spread on the rose bowl.
Fuck Michigan!
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I think the BCS put Ohio State in the title game vs. LSU just because they didn't want to see them get their asses handed to them by USC again.

Either way, a loss is a loss, and they'll lose to LSU.

What a load of shit.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

noel wrote:I think the BCS put Ohio State in the title game vs. LSU just because they didn't want to see them get their asses handed to them by USC again.

What a load of shit.
When in recent memory has OSU played USC?
Sabek
Just Sabek
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Sabek wrote:
noel wrote:I think the BCS put Ohio State in the title game vs. LSU just because they didn't want to see them get their asses handed to them by USC again.

What a load of shit.
When in recent memory has OSU played USC?
Don't they start a home-and-home schedule next year? Wait...that's future memory
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

In an effort to cover-up my blatant error in memory...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN 1975 ISN'T RECENT?!!?!?
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

So if Hawaii buries Georgia would they get some no. 1 votes?

I am disappointed. I am going to be sitting at home most of this month and was looking forward to some decent games, but looking over the bowl schedule I might as well get Gamefly and play some games and watch some movies instead.

Ok so what are people's predictions???

Rose - USC
Sugar - Hawaii
Orange - Kansas
Fiesta - Oklahoma
Fake Championship Game - LSU

I hope the writers split the title to screw this season up just a little more.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

My predictions:

Rose - Illinois <-- Spoiler Alert
Sugar - Hawaii
Orange - Kansas
Fiesta - Oklahoma
Championship Game - OSU
- Ash
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

noel wrote:In an effort to cover-up my blatant error in memory...

I think you meant how any Arizona team would beat OhioSU because teh Buckeyes suck so much ass and everything Arizona is teh K-Rad. :)

I wasn't busting your balls as such Noel, just wanted to be sure folks knew it wasn't OSU that got beat by USC last year.

Although I do admit that teh PAC TENZ is better than most pro teams.
Sabek
Just Sabek
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sabek wrote:
noel wrote:In an effort to cover-up my blatant error in memory...

I think you meant how any Arizona team would beat OhioSU because teh Buckeyes suck so much ass and everything Arizona is teh K-Rad. :)

I wasn't busting your balls as such Noel, just wanted to be sure folks knew it wasn't OSU that got beat by USC last year.

Although I do admit that teh PAC TENZ is better than most pro teams.
Actually, I know last year it was Michigan, and the year before they lost to Texas, but for some reason in my mind, I was convinced they'd beat [The] OSU in the last few years in one of the national championship games. I was wrong, and felt pretty stupid when I saw your post! No worries, was totally my bad.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

And, for those of you who automatically write tOSU off (god, I can't believe I'm defending the Buckeyes right now), I present a take on the upcoming tOSU-LSU game from a much greater college football mind than anyone posting at this site, Sunday Morning Quarterback.
SMQ wrote:No, no, not again. The worst result of last year's mythical championship game was the growth and perpetuation of this absurd notion of superior "SEC speed," based not on the collective 40 times and shuttle drills of hundreds of players on a couple dozen teams that make up the SEC and Big Ten, but on a handful of plays in a single game that was decidedly outside the season-long patterns of both participants, and not demonstrably decided by "speed" (unless you're willing to suggest Tennessee and Arkansas were done in a week earlier by "speed," too, which was at least as plausible). These conferences need to play more often.
Anyway, then, the foolish geographical chest-thumping only lasted a few days before the onset of the offseason relegated it to the safe obscurity of message boards and occasional comment thread. This time, do not expect the partisan sons of the South to fall quiet at any point over the next month prior to the Buckeyes' "rematch" (ugh) with LSU; for a sampling of the inane vitriol to come, check this comment thread, or any SEC board, or let the usually sage Gator fans at Saurian Sagacity sum it up in a series of smug that doesn't even apply to their own team:
Ohio State? Tiger Bait.
Congrats to the Bayou Bengals on their bid to the BCS Championship game. Maybe next year we'll get to see OSU get trounced by a third SEC team but I'd prefer it to be the Gators again.

A Friendly Wager
Since Ohio State is to go from "Gator-Bait" to "Ti-Gah Bait" in only 1 year's time, here is a little friendly bet for our conference mates - can you beat the Buckeyes worse than we did?

The "line" is 27 points. We know LSU is going to win - but can the Tigers top a 27 point margin?

Taking all wagers.

Fun Fact: No SEC team has EVER lost a BCS Title game, the only conference undefeated in BCS title play.
Wow, that 3-0 record truly shames them all.

One would think the false sense of inevitability that followed Ohio State prior to last year's championship (or USC the year before that, or that very, very fast Miami team in 2002, or, I don't know, LSU, Ohio State, West Virginia, USC, Oregon, Michigan, Oklahoma, California, Florida or LSU again prior to stunning upsets over the last three months) would demonstrate the virtues of humility to fans everywhere, and lead them to stop for a second to recognize - last year's anomalous championship beatdown is a great example of this - that anything can happen in one game, on one night, and "anything" will not necessarily reconcile itself with the accumulation of disparate performances that precedes it. It only adds to the accumulation; it doesn't define it. Based on everything we know from the dozen "samples" on both sides leading up to last January, that Florida team couldn't beat that Ohio State team by 27 points again in a whole season of trying. There's a reason the Gators were underdogs, and it's not because they kept the fast guys under wraps when squeaking out wins against South Carolina and Vanderbilt.
Based on everything we know from both teams' performances this season, Ohio State and LSU should be a close, hard-hitting game between two of the few teams that still operate largely from traditional two-back sets on offense and do not hesitate to run old-fashioned isos, counters and traps into the line. It's an interesting collision of style and persona between loose cannon Les Miles and icy, understated mercenary Jim Tressel, and their emphases on emotion, "poise" (as Miles likes to repeat to his oft-flagged charges) and discipline. But it will be decided by the side that executes and catches the right breaks under the specific set of circumstances that unfold on Jan. 7, at which point, of course, that team will be instantly refashioned into gold-drenched superheroes with inherent abilities far beyond those of mortal men. Naturally: We are the champions! These are the myths we make.

But the athletes, the speed, all of that is a given. LSU and Ohio State have both turned in top ten recrutiting classes each of the last four seasons. They've all got the athletes. They've all got the speed. The differences in raw talent on this level are nil. This championship, like all championships, will be about combining management, strategy and execution in the moment, and probably a bounce or timely flag or two. Not as catchy as "SEC Speed," but anything more precise than wrongheaded, bumper sticker hubris rarely is.
I'm just sayin'.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

LSU better hope to install a spread offense, if they want to administer the ass raping everyone seems to think they'll give us. We have lost two games in the past two and a half years. Anyone want to guess what offenses those teams ran? But no biggie. I'm glad they say all these things. Ask Voronwe how that went last time.
Fuck Michigan!
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I definitely wouldn't be totally shocked if Ohio State won. It's one football game. Shit happens.

I'm not as down on the whole bowl slate as all of you seem to be.

Ohio State v. LSU? Seems like the best possible national title matchup to me, will be neat to see what happens with the SEC / Big Ten rematch, plus there's a national title at stake, so it's going to be compelling.

Hawaii v. Georgia? I'm excited about this one. Hawaii obviously deserves a chance to prove their worth, just like Boise State last year and Utah a few back. Georgia's a good team to prove it against-- they're a top-notch SEC program, and Hawaii would earn serious credibility with a win (Hawaii against Kansas or Arizona State would suck, because the win would be largely meaningless because no-one respects the loser).

USC v. Illinois? I guess I'm the only person who enjoys the tradition of a Pac Ten / Big Ten matchup. Plenty of questions here: Is USC as dominating as it looked against Arizona State, or is this an overrated team that fattened up on overrated competition? Can Ron Zook coach in a game, as opposed to on the recruiting trail? Is Ron Zook a real coach and program builder, or a one-trick pony enjoying a lucky season? How good are those Illini kids anyway?

West Virginia v. Oklahoma? Pretty traditional BCS game-- two powerhouse programs with loads of talent, conference champions, facing off. How can you not like this one?

Virginia Tech v. Kansas? Well, I think this one sort of sucks, because Kansas doesn't deserve a BCS slot (neither does Illinois, but at least they got a compelling matchup). I predict a solid victory out of Virginia Tech. Of course, you all seem to be picking Kansas, so that makes it at least a little bit interesting.

Honestly, I think BCS games are typically awesome regardless of the matchup simply because it's a BCS game and there's so much at stake for the participants.

I'd prefer going back to 8 games, with a rule that non-BCS teams who go undefeated are guaranteed admission (at least if there's only one of them). 6 conference champions, 2 at-large, one of whom will be a non-BCS team if they perform well enough. There were four contenders for the last 2 BCS spots this year-- Kansas, Missouri, Arizona State, Illinois-- and none of the four are BCS-caliber teams.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

I agree about Ohio State, I also would not be surprised if LSU blows them out. I am in favor of whatever causes the most BCS chaos and a crappy National Championship coupled with Blowout USC and Oklahoma victories would create a wonderful amount of turmoil.

I am not sure how you say those are the 2 clear choices. There is no real measure for it. The USC/Stanford loss was embarassing, but it took a broken hand, 4 interceptions and the drive of a lifetime. The Oregon loss was against a team that for a few weeks was the best team I had seen this year. Oklahoma lost a game to a Tech team that would have beaten anyone that day. LSU lost in triple overtime 2 times and won some big games. Ohio State beat almost everyone it played and lost to a hot Illinios team. Georgia got trounced by an avergae Tennessee team but got hot. Any one of those teams could beat the other on the right day. LSU got in because of the conference they play in...fine. Now show people how great you are.

The Big Ten can also prove a lot this year in bowls. Michigan is playing Florida, Illinois playing USC and Ohio State is playing LSU. Anyone want to do a bet that if all three win, I will use a Big Ten Avatar for 3 months, if all three lose you have to fly a Notre Dame or Pac 10 avatar for the same amount of time????? If you win one, we will call it a wash.

Takers???
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Tyek wrote:I am not sure how you say those are the 2 clear choices.
Easy.

Ohio State is in as the only major-conference champion with one loss.

LSU versus...

USC? Same record, LSU has vastly better wins and somewhat better losses.
Oklahoma? Same record, LSU has somewhat better wins and somewhat better losses.
Virginia Tech? Same record, lost to LSU 48-7
Hawaii? Benefits from extreme home-field advantage, struggled to beat 4-8 Washington, their only major-conference foe
Kansas? Didn't beat a single decent team all year
Georgia? Same conference, same record (minus one win), worse losses, didn't win the conference while LSU did, got blown out by the East Division champion

Just seems clear to me.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Too bad the Cotton Bowl isn't quite what it used to be pre-BCS. Hopefully it will be on TV so a national audience gets a last (collegiate) look at Darren McFadden. Top-5 pick next year, easy.
en kærlighed småkager
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Tyek wrote:Anyone want to do a bet that if all three win, I will use a Big Ten Avatar for 3 months, if all three lose you have to fly a Notre Dame or Pac 10 avatar for the same amount of time????? If you win one, we will call it a wash.

Takers???
I'll take that action.
- Ash
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Sounds good Ashur

I tend to discount "good losses". Injuries, weather, etc can make what looks like a "bad" loss, not as bad. Does anyone East of Nevada know that USC had virtually their entire starting line missing for several games. I challenge any team to go through that kind of loss, then have their quarterback injured and THEN get beat on a miraculous drive.

The SEC is probably the best conference in the country, but I disagree that they are vastly superior. If you look at each of the top 6 teams this season, all have strengths that would make them candidates for the title game. To claim that one team is better because they played more "ranked" opponents, when in fact that is strictly an opinion poll. is a little silly. This is the crappy system they have, but they would be able to claim a true Champion if they played a playoff like every other level of football in the NCAA does. The number one team in the country doesn't always win the basketball tournament and the top football team might not either. I think it is highly possible that this would be the final game we would have in a playoff system, but I think it is just as possible that Georgia, USC or Oklahoma could also make it.

I also think it is silly to claim that the NCAA gets more press this way because they are being talked about all the time and all publicity is good publicity. Imagine if the first round was Ohio State vs. Hawaii, LSU vs Kansas, Georgia Vs USC and Oklahoma vs West Virginia. The publicity for that would be great and it would be positive instead of this crap. They could keep all the stupid International Bowl game type games.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Dear Sylvus,

Fuck you. I hope we send that fucking fossil off with his worst bowl loss ever.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

masteen wrote:Dear Sylvus,

Fuck you. I hope we send that fucking fossil off with his worst bowl loss ever.
Yeah, I'd hate for him to end up 2-0 vs. Florida in bowl games! :p

I'm not really going to talk any shit, Tebow is pretty much Michigan's weakness from the last 10 years personified. If you guys don't win by like 3 scores, I'll be somewhat surprised.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!