September 11th (A hip hop thread)

Music/concert reviews and discussion

Moderators: Drolgin Steingrinder, Truant

Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

September 11th (A hip hop thread)

Post by Zamtuk »

Kanye West and 50 Cent are releasing their respective cd's against each other on September 11th. Kanye actually pushed his album up a few weeks to compete directly against him. To me this kind of competition is very exciting. I will go out and buy Kanye's just so he can win.

An added bonus is included! If Kanye outsells 50 Cent, then 50 will retire, so even if you don't like rap, you can win by buying Kanye's cd!

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx ... 6&GT1=7702
Fuck Michigan!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Re: September 11th (A hip hop thread)

Post by miir »

This is WWE quality drama!
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Not going to buy either album! Maybe both will quit! :P
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Geroge Bush doesn't care about either.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

TBH I think they are both garbage. I won't even acknowledge Curtis with any explanation, he's not worth the words.

Kanye is a great producer, unfortunately he hasn't proven to be much of a rapper. He has a few good songs, and most of them are because of featured artists. I just downloaded the mix tape he released before his album (Can't tell me nothin) and I liked about 3 songs on the entire thing, and I wouldn't even call them great. He should just start sharing some of his better beats with other people instead of saving the best for himself, because they could do much better (Jay z, Sauce Money, Beanie Siegel, mos def, talib kweli - just to name a few.) I might download Graduation when it comes out, but I'm certainly not paying for it after his last cd.

However I am excited for the new Nasty Nas & DJ Premeire - Pre-Matic double cd.. Should be good!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I'll choose Kanye for the lesser of 2 evils. His first cd was decent, his second was only ok. I fucking hate everything about 50 Cent, so I hope he loses and has to go back on his bet.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Funkmasterr wrote:TBH I think they are both garbage. I won't even acknowledge Curtis with any explanation, he's not worth the words.

Kanye is a great producer, unfortunately he hasn't proven to be much of a rapper. He has a few good songs, and most of them are because of featured artists. I just downloaded the mix tape he released before his album (Can't tell me nothin) and I liked about 3 songs on the entire thing, and I wouldn't even call them great. He should just start sharing some of his better beats with other people instead of saving the best for himself, because they could do much better (Jay z, Sauce Money, Beanie Siegel, mos def, talib kweli - just to name a few.) I might download Graduation when it comes out, but I'm certainly not paying for it after his last cd.

However I am excited for the new Nasty Nas & DJ Premeire - Pre-Matic double cd.. Should be good!
Try the new Underground Kings double CD, much lovesauce for that one!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Boogahz wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:TBH I think they are both garbage. I won't even acknowledge Curtis with any explanation, he's not worth the words.

Try the new Underground Kings double CD, much lovesauce for that one!

Oh hell yes, I grabbed that one a few weeks ago, and a damn fine cd it is.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6942209.stm

Well there is as good a reason as any to buy the Kanye West album.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

You must have missed the initial post in this thread.
Fuck Michigan!
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

oops, yes I did.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I read in the paper today that Kanye says that Justin Timberlake is both his main competition and his primary motivation.

I would post this in the bands from the 60s-70s thread if I wanted to start that shitstorm again. But it can go here.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Sueven wrote:I read in the paper today that Kanye says that Justin Timberlake is both his main competition and his primary motivation.
This would explain why I don't like Kanye West! I can see where the competition would be for the same/similar fanbase now that you bring it up.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Kanye West is a moron. I can't emphasize enough that he should really stick to producing instead of rapping.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Kanye West doesn't like white people.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:Kanye West is a moron. I can't emphasize enough that he should really stick to producing instead of rapping.
Case closed!
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Spang wrote:Kanye West doesn't like white people.
well shit, who does?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Downloaded Kanye West - Graduation, and it sucks. Really, his first cd was ok, second was worse, and the third one is definitely the worst one by far. There are like three songs on the entire cd I can tolerate.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Funkmasterr wrote:Downloaded Kanye West - Graduation, and it sucks. Really, his first cd was ok, second was worse, and the third one is definitely the worst one by far. There are like three songs on the entire cd I can tolerate.
I think it's pretty good, and every review I've seen of it online has called it excellent, 8.5/10, damn good, "...so good...", etc.

But I'm sure you're a better judge.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Is Kanye West the guy with the Chipmunk backup singers?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Sylvus wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:Downloaded Kanye West - Graduation, and it sucks. Really, his first cd was ok, second was worse, and the third one is definitely the worst one by far. There are like three songs on the entire cd I can tolerate.
I think it's pretty good, and every review I've seen of it online has called it excellent, 8.5/10, damn good, "...so good...", etc.

But I'm sure you're a better judge.

See, now why did you have to go and be a douche? I was just stating my opinion, but in response to the reviews you posted - I have heard just as many negative things said about this album, and his last one (which also had maybe 3 good songs on it, mostly because of featured artists.) I made copies of it for a lot of people that wanted it after I dl'd it and not a single one of them has had much good to say about it. I mean seriously, that "Drunk and hot girls" song off his new album iis possibly the worst song I have ever heard, it's a good thing for him Mos Def almost redeems the song at the end with his verse

The production is good, as usual. Unfortunately his lyrics do not flow half the time, they are akward, off beat, and just not any good in general. I really liked the song on there (Track 10 I think - "Everything I am") where he talks about how people say he is garbage in every respect of the word, but he makes a smug remark about how rich he is :roll: But hey, if he's ok with making hot beats and spitting garbage on nearly every track he's on, good for him.

Not that I expect anything different from him, he's a poor kid from the projects that went from not having shit to having a ton of money and is acting like an arrogant, ignorant ghetto kid...

I just hope that in the back of his head he knows that he needs to be grateful to Jay Z for signing him and helping him sell his beats to people that can actually make a good song with them, and for all the featured artists that give some redeeming quality to his albums - because if all Kanye had was his lyrics on his beats - I'm fairly confident he would sell a small fraction of the records he is selling now.

I guess that to me - to pull of the whole "I'm not gonna swear in my (rap) music, or talk about any gangster shit" thing only works in hip hop when the lyrics are actually put together real well, and have some substance (ie: Common, Talib Kweli, etc), and Kanye doesn't display an ability to do either of those things in the majority of his songs.
Last edited by Funkmasterr on September 3, 2007, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:Is Kanye West the guy with the Chipmunk backup singers?

Yes, he does a lot of sampling from old 60's and 70's songs and changes the pitch/speeds up the tempo of the original vocal to make them sound that way... Dipset (Camron, Jim Jones, Juelz Santana, etc) does that quite a bit too.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Drinsic Darkwood »

Funkmasterr wrote:I guess that to me - to pull of the whole "I'm not gonna swear in my (rap) music, or talk about any gangster shit" thing only works in hip hop when the lyrics are actually put together real well, and have some substance (ie: Common, Talib Kweli, etc), and Kanye doesn't display an ability to do either of those things in the majority of his songs.
When you say this... are you suggesting it's ok to have lyrics that are put together poorly as long as they do contain "swearing and gangster shit"? If not, it seems like a more appropriate term would be to replace the entire quotation with "rap" or "music". That's a really serious question, by the way.

At the risk of sounding like Neziroth here... I will admit I hardly listen to any modern hip hop at all, mostly because 99% of the lyrical subject matter makes me want to punch someone, namely those who listen to it in my vicinity. That and shit like hearing Crazy Train sampled by Lil John and some other dickbags really fucking irks me. Basically, I'm saying I don't really understand the "value" in such music, hence the previous question.

Oh, and I guess I'm rooting for Kanye here since I despise all things 50 Cent. =/
Do unto others what has been done to you.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Well, for the most part I listen to more of the "gangsta" rap, and a lot less of stuff like common, talib kweli, tribe, pharoe monch, etc.

I just find myself very bored with most of their lyrics and just don't enjoy it as much in general. So I have a VERY HIGH standard for what I will listen to when it comes to the more laid back stuff like that. And I couldn't be any further from the only one that feels that way, the biggest sellers in rap aren't rappers like common - rap with subject content like his has not been popular since rap's beginning, and I'm guessing that will always be the case.

Kanye seems to think that he's doing rap justice by making music with slightly better subject content, but in reality it's his buddies (Mos Def, Talib, Common) that are actually doing this, Kanye just makes catchy beats and has plenty of guest artists on his tracks - that's why he sells.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

I like this album a lot. There are a few songs that I probably won't listen to very much, which is something I can't say about his other two albums, but the others are still heads and shoulders above everything else out this year, so far.
Fuck Michigan!
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Funkmasterr wrote:I just hope that in the back of his head he knows that he needs to be grateful to Jay Z for signing him and helping him sell his beats to people that can actually make a good song with them, and for all the featured artists that give some redeeming quality to his albums - because if all Kanye had was his lyrics on his beats - I'm fairly confident he would sell a small fraction of the records he is selling now.
Guess you missed that song he has on the album called "Big Brother".
Well, for the most part I listen to more of the "gangsta" rap, and a lot less of stuff like common, talib kweli, tribe, pharoe monch, etc.
This sums up everyone of your opinions right there, to me. Common's and Talib Kweli's new albums are two of the best ones out this year. But, it's not your cup of tea (or hennessy), so your reaction to Kanye is to be expected. It is just really nice to hear something fresh for a change.
Fuck Michigan!
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Picked up Kanye's album today. I must say I really like it. I think it's both a better and more mature record than his previous efforts.

Just wanted to share my opinion after listening to it.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm just baffled as to how someone could actually enjoy that album.. Oh well.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Funkmasterr wrote:I'm just baffled as to how someone could actually enjoy that album.. Oh well.
Funkmasterr wrote:Well, for the most part I listen to more of the "gangsta" rap, and a lot less of stuff like common, talib kweli, tribe, pharoe monch, etc.
And to be honest, I'm baffled how someone could actually enjoy 'gangsta' rap. I do greatly enjoy the people you listed there that you don't like, though.
We obviously have different tastes. :)
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Funkmasterr wrote:I'm just baffled as to how someone could actually enjoy that album.. Oh well.
After listening to it pretty heavily for the past week, I can say it's an amazing album. The only song I don't like on it is Barry Bonds, and Champion is just ok. The rest of them are just simply amazing as far as production goes. He isn't the greatest rapper in the world, but his lyrics, and style make up for it.

Hope you like the 50 cent album though.
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zamtuk wrote:
After listening to it pretty heavily for the past week, I can say it's an amazing album. The only song I don't like on it is Barry Bonds, and Champion is just ok. The rest of them are just simply amazing as far as production goes. He isn't the greatest rapper in the world, but his lyrics, and style make up for it.

Hope you like the 50 cent album though.

I hate 50 cent with every ounce of my being, I am actually buying the Kanye West album in the store just in hopes I that I play my part in getting him to G G G G G G G G Get the fuck out of the music industry.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Is 50 Cent the reason Eminem doesn't rap anymore?
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Spang wrote:Is 50 Cent the reason Eminem doesn't rap anymore?
I'm not sure about Eminem, I know Dr. Dre doesn't like him (he likes the money he makes for him, but that's about it.) Dr Dre made one song with The Game in which the game was talking shit about 50 (as usual) and 50 threw a fit, and threatened to leave Aftermath/shady records if Dre ever made another song with the Game... This was the reason why the game and dr dre had a falling out, game was pissed that dre took 50 cent's side in their "beef".

P.S. my girlfriend is watching the MTV Jams channel right now and the kanye song w/ T payne is on - it's not too often two of my least favorite people are in the same shitty song (aside from any G UNOT song). I mean seriously, how does anyone consider T Payne a talented "singer" when his voice is heavily synthesized in every song I have ever heard him in, fucking depresses me he is from Minnesota.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Early word is Kanye is winning.
Fuck Michigan!
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I can't remember where I read it, I'll have to try and find it again, but 50 said he is no longer going to hold to his promise to quit if Kanye outsells him. No big surprise there.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

HDD is predicting that Kanye will easily win the sales race 930k to 50 Cent's 659k. HDD (hits daily double) is just an estimate, official numbers are from soundscan but I have never seen them be far enough that it would make a difference here,

CHART DATE: 09/17/2007
LAST UPDATE: 09/18/2007 11:33:53
NOW IN: FINAL

LW TW artist / album label power index % change
-- 1 KANYE WEST ROC-A-FELLA/IDJMG 930,251 --
GRADUATION
-- 2 50 CENT AFTERMATH/INTERSCOPE 659,682 --
CURTIS
-- 3 KENNY CHESNEY BNA/SBMG NASHVILLE 400,202 --
JUST WHO I AM: POETS & PIRATES
1 4 HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 2 WALT DISNEY RECORDS 129,797 -24%
SOUNDTRACK
4 5 HANNAH MONTANA 2 - MEET MILEY WALT DISNEY RECORDS 42,371 -5%
SOUNDTRACK
3 6 FERGIE A&M/INTERSCOPE 42,107 -8%
THE DUTCHESS
7 7 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 34,712 -6%
ALL THE RIGHT REASONS
12 8 COLBIE CAILLAT UNIVERSAL REPUBLIC 31,976 +22%
COCO
6 9 NOW 25 UTV 31,633 -17%
VARIOUS ARTISTS
10 10 JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE JIVE/ZLG 31,162 +11%
FUTURE SEX/LOVE SOUNDS
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Chmee wrote:7 7 NICKELBACK ROADRUNNER 34,712 -6%
ALL THE RIGHT REASONS
=(
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

They will both be crushed by the sales of Hannah Montana.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:They will both be crushed by the sales of Hannah Montana.
:lol: :lol:

I would actually love to see that happen, they could both use something to take their ego down 10 or 12 notches.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Funkmasterr wrote:

I would actually love to see that happen, they could both use something to take their ego down 10 or 12 notches.
I would not want to see the tantrum Kanye would throw, after seeing the one from the vmas.
Chmee
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Chmee »

Funkmasterr wrote:

Very possible over the long term. Don't mess around with Disney! :P

Here are the top cumulative numbers as of the 9/22 soundscan chart (ie. only CDs that are still in the billboard top 200 are listed). By the way, if you are ever interested in sales numbers or radio play and some music news the Pulse music boards are pretty decent (although there are a lot of fan postings you have to sort through sometime).

Pulse Music Board

UNDERWOOD*CARRIE SOME HEARTS 5,907,102
NICKELBACK ALL THE RIGHT REASONS 5,893,772

RASCAL FLATTS ME AND MY GANG 4,299,000
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL SOUNDTRACK 4,175,513

TIMBERLAKE*JUSTIN FUTURESEX/LOVE 3,572,225
DAUGHTRY DAUGHTRY 3,082,802

CHESNEY*KENNY ROAD & THE RADIO 2,877,172
BEYONCE B'DAY 2,867,129
HANNAH MONTANA SOUNDTRACK 2,849,936
AKON KONVICTED 2,643,274
FERGIE DUTCHESS 2,638,583
HINDER EXTREME BEHAVIOR 2,536,439
FRAY HOW TO SAVE A LIFE 2,185,382

FURTADO*NELLY LOOSE 1,952,232
TURNER*JOSH YOUR MAN 1,924,717
MCGRAW*TIM VOL. 2-GREATEST HITS 1,900,540
MAYER*JOHN CONTINUUM 1,853,476
EVANESCENCE OPEN DOOR 1,792,679
GROBAN*JOSH AWAKE 1,760,422
RAE*CORINNE BAILEY CORINNE BAILEY RAE 1,689,939
LINKIN PARK MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT 1,658,091
THE BEATLES LOVE 1,551,660
STEFANI*GWEN SWEET ESCAPE 1,536,861
No nation was ever ruined by trade.

– Benjamin Franklin
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aardor wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

I would not want to see the tantrum Kanye would throw, after seeing the one from the vmas.
The one he threw at the MTV Europe awards was fucking great.
The winners (justice) were not there to accept the award so he actually crashed the stage and went on a childish rant about not winning. The irony is that Justice are fellow frenchmen, label mates and good friends of Daft Punk..... the same Daft Punk he samples in his latest single.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qAN_OXblCEs

NIGGA, NIGGA, THIS VIDEO COST A MILLION DOLLARS MAN!!! I HAD PAM ANDERSON, I WAS JUMPIN ACROSS CANYONS... IF I DONT WIN, THE AWARD SHOW LOSES
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

those music charts are depressing. it's all shit music.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Drinsic Darkwood
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

While there is a lot of music that I genuinely dislike, I try to refrain from blatantly calling someone's taste in music a steaming pile of shit. Opinions and what not. But if you enjoy listening to Nickelback, your taste in music truly is a steaming pile of shit.
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

Fash wrote:those music charts are depressing. it's all shit music.
I'm such a geezer I haven't even heard of half of them.
I'm not sure it's all shit but I wouldn't even bother to steal any of it let alone buy it.
It's time for my nap.
:sleeping:
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That is a pretty sad state of affairs seeing that Top 10. The Colbie Caillat album is probably about the only thing I would consider calling actual music although that's a bit too much on the poppy side for my liking. Call me a snob if you want I don't care but that list is crap.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:
Aardor wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

The one he threw at the MTV Europe awards was fucking great.
The winners (justice) were not there to accept the award so he actually crashed the stage and went on a childish rant about not winning. The irony is that Justice are fellow frenchmen, label mates and good friends of Daft Punk..... the same Daft Punk he samples in his latest single.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qAN_OXblCEs

NIGGA, NIGGA, THIS VIDEO COST A MILLION DOLLARS MAN!!! I HAD PAM ANDERSON, I WAS JUMPIN ACROSS CANYONS... IF I DONT WIN, THE AWARD SHOW LOSES

At some point people will stop inviting him to award shows, debates, etc. He is a pathetic little cry baby and it's only entertaining the first one or two times.

I even saw this brief 5 minute trivia show on BET where they pick a random person off the street and have them answer hip hop trivia competing with a famous person for a small prize. Kanye was the celeb on this one and the guy beat him, and kanye got this look on his face and started to bitch about the questions being bullshit... he wasn't kidding.. and it was sad. I'm seriously tired of him.
Neziroth
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Neziroth »

Drinsic wrote:At the risk of sounding like Neziroth here...
That made me lol. It's O.K. to say certain music sucks! Let it out it's fuuuuuuuuuuun 8)

Seems like 50 cent would be looking for a reason to retire. He's a friggin millionaire for sure, probably set for life if he could be smart with his money. This was his perfect excuse to get out of the game, be a man and keep his word and live the easy(easier) life.

He had to have known that Kanye was going to stomp him in sales.

Eminem is retired, isn't he? I mean, if I did what they did I'd make a couple of huge albums, get my $ and get the hell out of the spotlight and try to live a normal life.
<a href="http://www.fictionpress.com/~mjlb">See the other side...</a>

Feel free to share your thoughts~