XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Censorship is alive and well on XM Radio

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Opie and Anthony Suspended by XM Radio

http://www.peopleagainstcensorship.com/
Opie and Anthony Suspended by XM Radio
Written by S.M. Reid
Tuesday, 15 May 2007
XM Radio has announced the suspension of the "Opie & Anthony Show" effective immediatly. XM will not broadcast the show for the next 30 days. The suspension follows comments aired on the Opie and Anthony Show last week by Homeless Charlie.

The desision to suspend Opie and Anthony was a response by the management of XM Radio to comments made by Opie & Anthony on yesterday's broadcast which "put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter." The decision was an effort "to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them."

The Opie & Anthony Show appears on one of XM's explicit language channels. These channels are noted with an "XL" on the display, and regular warnings as to the explicit language as well as how to block those channels.

The XM Press Release is available below the fold.
XM Radio Suspends Opie & Anthony
WASHINGTON and NEW YORK, May 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- XM Radio announced today that the company has suspended Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia, hosts of "The Opie & Anthony Show" and ceased broadcast of the show for 30 days, effective immediately.

XM Radio deplored the comments aired on "The Opie & Anthony Show" last week. At the time, the company strongly expressed its views to Opie and Anthony, and they issued an immediate apology.

Comments made by Opie and Anthony on yesterday's broadcast put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.

As a company, XM provides customers with tools to control what they listen to on XM. "The Opie & Anthony Show" appears on one of XM's explicit language channels (XL). Whenever a radio is tuned to an explicit language channel, the letters "XL" continuously appear on the screen. XM frequently mentions on its explicit language channels that the content may be inappropriate for certain listeners and tells how to "block" channels that feature this type of content. Channel blocking is available through xmradio.com or by calling 1-800-XMRADIO.

About XM Satellite Radio

XM (NASDAQ: XMSR) is America's number one satellite radio company with more than 8 million subscribers. Broadcasting live daily from studios in Washington, DC, New York City, Chicago, the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville, Toronto and Montreal, XM's 2007 lineup includes more than 170 digital channels of choice from coast to coast: commercial-free music, premier sports, news, talk radio, comedy, children's and entertainment programming; and the most advanced traffic and weather information.

XM, the leader in satellite-delivered entertainment and data services for the automobile market through partnerships with General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Nissan, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota, is available in 140 different vehicle models for 2007. XM's industry-leading products are available at consumer electronics retailers nationwide. For more information about XM hardware, programming and partnerships, please visit http://www.xmradio.com/.

SOURCE: XM Satellite Radio

CONTACT: Nathaniel Brown, +1-212-708-6170, nathaniel.brown@xmradio.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it ;
Chance Patterson, +1-202-380-4151, chance.patterson@xmradio.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it

Web site: http://www.xmradio.com/

Last Updated ( Tuesday, 15 May 2007 )
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Good to see America values free speech.
Akanae
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Akanae »

What did they say to piss everyone off so much?
WOW - Eewy priest of Cenarius
EQ- Akanae Tendo officer of OTB ~retired~
COH - Akanae Empathy Defender on Pinnacle ~retired~
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Something about raping women.

It's such a shame the minority of intelligent Americans (not much of a minority either) are being bullied into accepting restrictions on their freedom of speech. Where is the fight against this?

It's not like its a fucking lost cause yet.

At one point, that very freedom was what made America awesome, now it's going the way of Britain and other hellholes.
Sionistic
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sionistic »

No wait, it gets better

They had some person on the show, and the guy made comments about wanting to rape condaleza rice.

I like how The xm management says they give them creative freedom, and then take away their creative freedom.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

I really wonder if there actually ever is a huge outcry to these sorts of things, or if the owners of whichever station (tv or radio) just buckle and cry because they are a bunch of whiny fucks.

I've yet to see any proof that this sort of thing would have hurt Don Imus' show financial pulling power, or in this case "opie and anthony" (whoever they are).

Still, it's nothing but bullshit fear of being ignored by the stupidly conservative shithead idiot market (which in theory, must be fucking huge in the US).
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

You can show your discontent by immediately canceling your subscription to XM Radio (a private company) until they reinstate the opus and andrew show and issue an immediate apology to their listeners.

because jokes about beating and raping women is hilarious.
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

yes that is the point
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I have several issues with it.

One, it is a subscription service and advertises as UNCENSORED.

http://www.xmradio.com/onxm/channelpage ... =the_virus

They even have a marketing tagline - BEWARE THIS IS RADIO LIKE YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD IT BEFORE.
You can even log on and lock out the channel.

Two, they did not make the actual comment, and the one who did also joked about raping Laura Bush, the Queen, he ripped on Howard Stern, he made fun of Al Sharpton, but once again a 30 second clip is presented as evidence. Also the headlines initially made it sound like O&A actually made the comments, because the headline "Homeless man jokes about raping Rice and others" does not sell magazines or get viewers.

Three, while the comments were in poor taste, they were never said in any way that could be taken as serious threats.

I agree with Kyou that jokes about raping women are not funny, so if I was offended I could have turned the fucking radio off or to another channel. It really is not hard. This is no different then some jackoff trying to censor video games marketed for adults because a child might see or play it. I want people to decide for themselves not have some government official, or worse, special interest group decide this.

I did call XM, I told them if they fire O&A I will cancel my subs, I enjoy the show, but I am far more worried about the implications of a show being suspended when it is clearly marked for adults and is marketed as being edgy and dangerous. There are thousands of jokes about whites, blacks, hispanics, gays and other groups on channel 150, are they going to start beeping those out too, just in case Suzie in Omaha gets offended.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Why would I be outraged? This has nothing to do with "free speech" although I know people love to throw that around all the time. XM Radio is a corporate entity and they can do what they want. People are free to go with another provder if it they don't like how it's being managed.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Nick
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Nick »

Aslanna wrote:Why would I be outraged? This has nothing to do with "free speech" although I know people love to throw that around all the time. XM Radio is a corporate entity and they can do what they want. People are free to go with another provder if it they don't like how it's being managed.
Of course it has to do with free speech. It also has to do with commercial ventures. The two aren't simply mutually exclusive because you state it. A company that promotes free, creative discourse has, if it want's to be taken at its word, a duty to back that up in reality without immediately suspending anything in the least bit controversial.

I'm probably more idealistic than many here, so I can accept your viewpoint, nevertheless, surely you won't deny the fact that increasingly in the USA, special interest conservative groups (usually religous, or with some religous affiliation) are targeting popular media icons in an effort to shit their overly PC attitudes all over the general populace. How many ultra right wing conservative radio pundits are allowed to spew fascist bullshit, how many Alex Jones retards can get away with accusing the government of being involved in 911? The answer is, A fuckton.

It's nothing but selective appropriation designed to further the retard ultra conservative agenda, and by that I mean, shithead oppressive fascist PC agenda. Not conservative in a financial or political sense.

For the record, I find the concept of someone ranting about raping Condoleeza Rice hilarious, not because I advocate rape, since that's not what the guy's even doing, but because she's a fucking asshole who's as guilty as anyone for the hundreds of thousands of innocent dead people in Iraq.

Comedy! = ADVOCATING RAPE

At what point did so many people forget the actually rasonable stance of "if you don't like it, change the fucking channel."?

(This isn't an attack on you Aslanna, it's just my anger against idiots who don't understand the above mantra.)
Kriista
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kriista »

as much as i think its assy to fire/suspend all these people, it has nothing ot do with freespeech or cencorship, they are private companies, and free speech doesnt apply there

if you invite someone into your home, and they start talking about how kickass the pope is, or how satan is going to fuck you in the ass in hell, you can kick them out of your house, and they cant complain about their 'free speech', they were in your house

if it really bothers you that much(it would bother me if i knew who these people were, or cared) the biggest thing you can do is cancel your subcription or however it works

you have no greater say than where you put your $$
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

As silly as I think their suspension is, I agree that it is not a free speech issue as mentioned above.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

Why they were suspended had zero to do with free speech.
It had to do with them pushing satellite radio into the limelight in a bad way at the wrong time.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/0 ... index.html
cnn wrote:The remarks could become an issue as XM seeks approval from the Federal Communications Commission to merge with New York-based Sirius Satellite Radio, said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade magazine Inside Radio.

"XM and Sirius don't want any regulation," he said in Friday's New York Daily News. "But it's come up in four congressional hearings -- and at this point, the merger is such a close call, any issue could become important."
Start making the company look bad in the middle of merger talks and you are going to get spanked. It's that simple. Would happen at any major corporation.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Is Opie and Anthony the only show on XM Radio?

If I was listening to a radio show and I got offended (highly unlikely), I'd stop listening. That's it! Why do people feel the need to ruin the fun of others?

Reminds me of something that happened recently on these boards. :shock:

Ironically, Nick is right!

"if you don't like it, change the fucking channel."
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

Pretty avid listener and have been since '99. XM felt that O&A didn't take XM's warning seriously on Monday's show. What's ridiculous is that they replayed the show on the drive home and that's where I heard it so the whole thing wasn't deemed a big enough deal to just play best of's instead of the replay. It was a comment made by a homeless guy in the studio, and while they laughed at it, I did as well, in context, it was funny. I will see how it plays out, but they get taken off, I cancelling. It's the reason I got the radio to begin with.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

As far as I know, XM is a private company and Free Speech doesn't necessarily apply.

O&A are employees of XM and are bound by their rules.

If management decides to give them a reprimand for their actions, then so be it.

If you're not happy about it, cancel your sub until the show is re-instated and made damned sure that they know why you cancelled.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

To say that the hosts of a show are not responsible for the actions of a guest that they had on their show is incorrect. Particularly when they have him on the show specificaly because they're hoping he'll say or do something shocking. Or is there another reason they have the homeless guy on their show?

It's not a free speech issue, it's a bottom line issue. A corporation's responsibility is to make money, it's shitty but it's true. If one of your properties sheds enough negative light on the corporation that it causes advertisers to pull out, or in this case commits the mortal sin of bringing increased scrutiny on XM/Sirius from the FCC, you relieve yourself of that property. The FCC currently has a Republican majority, had the hilarious rape comments been made about someone other than Condi and Laura Bush they might not have received a suspension at all.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I'm on hold to cancel both of my subs.

This is the thrid time I've tried to cancel. You call billing, tell them you want to cancel, they ask why and then tell you they need to send you to the cancellation department. I was on hold for an hour last night before I got tired and went to bed. I was on hold this morning for 40 mins before I had to take the kids to the bus stop. I'm 25 mins into this attempt.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sylvus wrote:To say that the hosts of a show are not responsible for the actions of a guest that they had on their show is incorrect. Particularly when they have him on the show specificaly because they're hoping he'll say or do something shocking. Or is there another reason they have the homeless guy on their show?

It's not a free speech issue, it's a bottom line issue. A corporation's responsibility is to make money, it's shitty but it's true. If one of your properties sheds enough negative light on the corporation that it causes advertisers to pull out, or in this case commits the mortal sin of bringing increased scrutiny on XM/Sirius from the FCC, you relieve yourself of that property. The FCC currently has a Republican majority, had the hilarious rape comments been made about someone other than Condi and Laura Bush they might not have received a suspension at all.

Thye shouldn't advertise this channel as UNCENSORED and RAW then. Just because you cannot appreciate thei humor doesn't mean there aren't a good portion of folks who pay good money every month for the RIGHT to hear it. It is censorship and it is a freedom of speech issue. It is now a monopoly issue as well. Because, we have no choice of cancelling XM and picking up an alternative Satellite company. When comedians can't be edgy and raw it is a scary McCarthy-like time we are living in.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

It is absolutely not a freedom of speech issue Midnyte, you (and nick) really need to come off of it immediately because you are wrong. Like other people have said, they said something inappropriate at a very sensitive time for XM and XM had to make a choice to save their asses from any more scrutiny then necessary.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

XM Radio Online gives you unlimited access to over 80 channels of amazing programming, including: ...Uncensored comedy including the outrageous, uninhibited talk duo, Opie & Anthony
http://xmro.xmradio.com/xstream/index.jsp
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Both my subs have been cancelled.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It's available in an ever-changing format at http://www.oatalk.com/listen and I've posted it here as well for those that don't want to click out/bookmark my site:

FM Online Broadcasts of O&A

4 AM ET (1 AM PT)
6 AM ET (3 AM PT) - LIVE VERSIONS
8 AM ET (5 AM PT)
10 AM ET (7 AM PT)
1 PM ET (10 AM PT)
3 PM ET (12 PM PT)
5 PM ET (2 PM PT)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Thye shouldn't advertise this channel as UNCENSORED and RAW then. Just because you cannot appreciate thei humor doesn't mean there aren't a good portion of folks who pay good money every month for the RIGHT to hear it. It is censorship and it is a freedom of speech issue. It is now a monopoly issue as well. Because, we have no choice of cancelling XM and picking up an alternative Satellite company. When comedians can't be edgy and raw it is a scary McCarthy-like time we are living in.
Shows get cancelled in all mediums all the time. You have no RIGHT to hear anything. You have the privilege of paying for a subscription service that offers programming that you like, or not paying for subscription services that you do not like. Companies fire people all the time for not towing the party line, this is no different. Your right to free speech says that the government cannot pass laws prohibiting your free speech, it says nothing about companies not being able to sack you for ruffling feathers. My company works closely with the IRS, if I were say or do something that brought the IRS down on us, I would be escorted out of the building long before the story broke on CNN. I'm smart enough to realize that.

The irony is that, if Sabek's article is to be believed, XM is suspending Opie and Anthony in an effort to prevent the FCC from regulating XM/Sirius, thereby limiting free speech. They are doing it for the greater good. "Hey, we can police ourselves!" Which is better for all of us in the long run. And ultimately, as of right now, it's just a month suspension. Cool your jets.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote: Thye shouldn't advertise this channel as UNCENSORED and RAW then. Just because you cannot appreciate thei humor doesn't mean there aren't a good portion of folks who pay good money every month for the RIGHT to hear it. It is censorship and it is a freedom of speech issue. It is now a monopoly issue as well. Because, we have no choice of cancelling XM and picking up an alternative Satellite company. When comedians can't be edgy and raw it is a scary McCarthy-like time we are living in.
So rape is funny? Do you have any daughters? Or do you rape them too?
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

O&A have always pushed the limits of what can be played. I used to listen to them back in teh day on 94.1 WYSP in Philly. They got kicked off public radio after playing a tape of 2 adults having sex in a church, which was fucking hilarious.

Havent listened to them since then since i dont have XM. I believe they have a 2 hour show either daily or weekly in my area, but i cant remember if that ever ended.

I agree with both parties in this instance. O&A is supposed to be an "uncensored" subscription satellite radio show. They are supposed to be able to say and do whatever they want, i guess what XM didn't tell anyone is that they actually have rules that are enforced in the studio, which is understandable i guess.

Either way, O&A are a fucking riot, and happy WOW.
Last edited by Gonzoie - Luclin on May 16, 2007, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:Just because you cannot appreciate thei humor doesn't mean there aren't a good portion of folks who pay good money every month for the RIGHT to hear it. It is censorship and it is a freedom of speech issue. It is now a monopoly issue as well. Because, we have no choice of cancelling XM and picking up an alternative Satellite company. When comedians can't be edgy and raw it is a scary McCarthy-like time we are living in.
Say it all you want that doesn't make it any more true.

But I guess we learned in the thread about driving while texting you have no idea what 'RIGHT(s)' actually mean.

You're so fucking cluess I don't even know why people bother trying to carry on an adult conversation with you. It's fun for a little while I guess.

(edits are fun!)
Last edited by Aslanna on May 16, 2007, 12:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Amendment I:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Congress didn't...
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

if you invite someone into your home, and they start talking about how kickass the pope is, or how satan is going to fuck you in the ass in hell, you can kick them out of your house, and they cant complain about their 'free speech', they were in your house
While I agree there is no constitutional free speech issue here, I am going to have to disagree a little as well. I also think your example supports what Nick and I are saying.

First off, there is a difference between inviting some random friend/person into your house, and paying said person to explain to you their views. O&A are paid to talk, be entertaining and based on their advertisements, outrageous. They are hired comedians.

Secondly, you made the point Nick and I made. If you disliked what they said,you could simply kick them out, you know CHANGE the channel. The company has every right to suspend them I agree, but do you not think that special interest groups looking for a quick way to raise funds and awareness of their lame ass cause are not listening to Howard, O&A and other shows if this type to find an easier target?

And if this is really tied to a merger that frankly is not in the public interest, then it is even sadder, and it is even more of an issue of censoring. It's like hiring a person to type reports, but they can't use the letters e, r and t.

I am concerned that there is a fundemental change in what we are being told we can watch, play and listen too and if this goes unchecked It could get much worse before eventually it goes back the other way again. Does anyone really want to watch 24 hours of the Suite Life of Zack and Cody every day because it does not upset anyone?

If this was the FCC and they were dropping F-bombs then fine, but it is a paid service. I have not gone to the extent others have gone too, I did call and tell them I would cancel the subs, but I want to wait and see if XM is pandering to the FCC for a month, or if they truely fire them.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

The people arguing freedom of speech are missing the very simple point to all of this. The evil, heavy-handed government didn't do this.
A company that has every right to fire it's employees for doing something that is detrimental to the company did it.

Again everyone of you that has a job would be suspended/fired for pissing in your company's wheaties.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Kriista
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kriista »

i didnt mean it as a perfect analogy, just one to clarify the discrepancy.

i dont care/follow radio at all, but arent there online/free radio worth listening to?

i think that were in an transitional period where itll all become bullshit commercial radio/tv, but that will just create the alternative thats missing

its funny that all tv/radio programming only exsists to make you sit through ads, it doesnt really matter whats not, as long as youll sit through the ads, with movies/music blurring the ad/content line, pretty soon well just be watching ads, anyone remember the name of that lil'kim song that was nothing but brands?

i think it comes down to the artists(losely used), if you choose to work for a company thats going to limit your expression(again, losely used), you know who your in bed with
again, i dont follow radio, but i was under the impression that howard(and others) did the big move to satellite radio for those reasons exactly, so i dont think the above statement applies to them directly, as thats what they thought they were doing

on the other hand, the cencorship mongers are just skipping the middle man, instead of pushing for laws that limit content, just go after the companies, its a shorter/cheaper fight, and you get what you pay for

itll keep working until people express their displeasure and start putting their money where their mouths are

i didnt like patrice oneal much before, but this gave me OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS more respect for him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjIuPSuYSOY
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Sabek wrote:The people arguing freedom of speech are missing the very simple point to all of this. The evil, heavy-handed government didn't do this.
A company that has every right to fire it's employees for doing something that is detrimental to the company did it.

Again everyone of you that has a job would be suspended/fired for pissing in your company's wheaties.
No. The government did not do it. XM did it. XM provided and promoted an adult, uncensored and edgy channel for O&A to do their thing. Many subscribers bought subs and radios to enjoy this uncensored comedy. XM has welched on us and O&A. They have hindered the freedom of speech they told us and O&A they had. No one here is blaming the FCC, yet. If this move was as a result of FCC pressure, then yes the government is to blame as well, but as of right now, that is not the case.
Kriista
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kriista »

it would be ineterseted to see a class action suit brought to XM for breach of contract, or misleading advertisment or something along those lines
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kriista wrote:i dont care/follow radio at all, but arent there online/free radio worth listening to?
http://www.wmnf.org, take a look at the schedule, they cover pretty much all the bases. Assuming you aren't looking for top-40, clear channel type stuff anyway. Very rare that I listen to any other station.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

Cancelling your subscription isn't going to solve anything. What do you expect them to do, lift the 30 day suspension? Will you re-activate at that point? What good is the hardware and car kits you purchased? Is there nothing else good on XM? 199 channels of garbage, and 1 glory hole of filthy comedy?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

A good clip about what's going on here.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/index.html

In the video section.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:A good clip about what's going on here.

In the video section.
Could you post the gist of it?
For some reason I can't click fox news links.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Kriista
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kriista »

if enough people cancel their account, they will rethink their policy, and if it means getting their subcriptions back, theyll reinstane, and even appologize i would think

they are in business to make money, not keep their pride
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

It's a publicity stunt. The two jocks get 30 days of vacation and when they come back their listeners will have swelled in size due to this story. A little outrage against the establishment will be forgotten a few weeks/days after they get back.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Bubba Grizz wrote:It's a publicity stunt. The two jocks get 30 days of vacation and when they come back their listeners will have swelled in size due to this story. A little outrage against the establishment will be forgotten a few weeks/days after they get back.
Wrong. They aren't on vacation. You can listen to them on fully censored free fm radio on CBS radio stations frm 6am-9am EST Mon-Fri.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:
Midnyte_Ragebringer wrote:A good clip about what's going on here.

In the video section.
Could you post the gist of it?
For some reason I can't click fox news links.
They're basically calling into question how strange it is this has happened when XM subscribers have paid for this private service that is cleary advertised as explicit and raw and they tune into that specific channel to hear this.
Traz-KOE
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Traz-KOE »

Ugh. I hate this debate because inevitably "freedom of speech" and "censorship" get thrown around with no regard for their meanings.

Freedom of speech has already been adressed, in that when someone refers to their freedom of speech they are generally talking about the first amendment right granted by the US constitution- which only prohibits laws from being passed by the government (specifically congress) which restrict reasonable free speech. I cringe when Americans misuse the term "freedom of speech" because it demonstrates a lack of understanding of how our government works.

However, it also galls me when people try to apply the conditions regarding freedom of speech to the word 'censorship'. Rather, it is near inevitable that someone in a discussion of this nature will claim that since the first amendment does not apply no censorship occurs. From Merriam-Webster (irrelevant definitions omitted):

Main Entry: cen·sor·ship
Pronunciation: 'sen(t)-s&r-"ship
Function: noun
1 a : the institution, system, or practice of censoring b : the actions or practices of censors; especially : censorial control exercised repressively

Main Entry: censor
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable <censor>; also : to suppress or delete as objectionable <censor>

It is reasonable to conclude, from the definitions provided, that censorship can occur even if first amendment rights are not being abridged.

In the case of O&A, while their first amendment right to free speech is clearly not being violated (as has been noted, XM Radio is a private corporation) their show is being most thoroughly censored despite XM's claims that they provide "The world's first uncensored radio".

For that alone I would drop my service, were I a subscriber. They are not living up to their advertising claims, and no one should have to pay for a product that does not perform as advertised.

In the end it's moot though, because all broadcast radio sucks.
Traz Blackwolfe (Retired)
--------------------
I could turn you inside out
What I choose not to do
Vaemas
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: BeaverButter

Post by Vaemas »

So you cancelled your subscription because of one channel?

Jesus. I <3 my XM. I can't wait until I can afford the monthly fee again. Now that I have a nice hour commute each way to and from work, I'll probably fire that sucker up.

As for O&A, if you bothered to read some of the more thorough articles, O&A apologized without apologizing. XM said, "Hey, you aren't sincere. Here's a 30 day suspension."

Now, as to this censorship/free speech argument, you can fairly well construe that the comments made by the homeless guy (I guess he's a regular segment on the show) are coming close to that exception for inciteful speech. When you're talking about beating up a black woman and raping her...come on, have some fucking sense.

There's a huge difference between uncensored/raw and a segment about brutalizing and raping women. O&A were uncensored. If they weren't there wouldn't have been this controversy. They aren't being censored now, either. Their special XM satellite show isn't being produced during the 30 day period. Censorship? Uh, no.
High Chancellor for Single Malt Scotches, Accounting Stuffs and Biffin Greeting.
/tell Biffin 'sup bro!
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

wow, look. americans throwing around out-of-context phrases from their constitution without fully understanding the implementation or actual meaning of it on an internet messageboard. amazing!
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

sirius > xm

honestly there are a couple DJs on sirius that have said way worse stuff than these guys, but they are on the alternative music channel and they are actually funny as hell.
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

I'm waiting on affordable, portable XM radios! That would be fantastic for commutes and such. Til then, I'll make do with podcasts.

Anyhow, I'm sure Spanky and Wanky or whoever are really funny to some people, and any time someone gets shushed for saying the wrong thing, it's worthy of a disappointed sigh or two at the human race, but is anyone honestly surprised you can still get in trouble for this stuff? Especially lately? I'm guessing XM would rather deal with Mid's scathing threads than with Sharpton.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Most of their sponsors are of the "adult" variety and several pulled their sponsorships today in support of Opie and Anthony. It is a nice trend to see.

http://peopleagainstcensorship.org/inde ... &Itemid=45

http://peopleagainstcensorship.org/inde ... &Itemid=45

more information and a debate regarding the recent suspension of O&A AND the firing of JV and Elvis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uohF0zIKxI
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

kyoukan wrote:wow, look. americans throwing around out-of-context phrases from their constitution without fully understanding the implementation or actual meaning of it on an internet messageboard. amazing!
In all honesty I pity you. The level of misery you must endure every day causing you to be such a whiny little bitch in every single statement you make must be painful. I can't imagine the disappointment you feel every time you realize that nobody actually gives a fuck.
kyoukan
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by kyoukan »

wait, who the fuck are you?