Obligatory annual 'Go Wings!' post for playoff time.

What do you think about the sports world?
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Obligatory annual 'Go Wings!' post for playoff time.

Post by Xouqoa »

Go Wings! :D

No #19 or #14 this year.... should be interesting to see how they do.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Wings will be lucky to beat the Flames (I think they will in 7).
Sharks will win the West.
Buffalo will win the East.
Sabres sip champagne and Briere wins Conn Smythe.

I just hope my Isles can win a game against the Sabres to salve our pride a bit.
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm still cheering for #19 :(
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: launchpad1979

Post by Lynks »

I'm going to pick the Sharks to win this year. They have the depth and their first 2 lines are amazing on paper.

I'd like to see the Islanders make a push to the end. Al Arbor is a friend of the family so I grew up cheering for them all my life. :)
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I'm rooting for the Sabres because they're from Buffalo and the Wings because they have Hasek.
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Waran

Post by Waran »

Here's the proverbial "DETROIT SUCKS" chant from Blues land for ya Zowcow :P

Yes I know we suck more, but the one St. Louis vs. Detroit game I went to this year we A) Beat them and B) had the DETROIT SUCKS chant fly!

I'll go with Wulf, Sabres and Sharks (who is just as worse as Detroit ;) with Buffalo on top.

Can't say much about my Blues this year although hiring Andy Murray was what the team needed in the second half to turned the team around. T.J. Oshie, Center from North Dakota decided not to go pro next year and no word if Erik Johnson is leaving Minnesota or not to come play for the Blues. The good news is the town is interested in them again after what the Lauries did to the team the year after the lockout.

Frozen Four was held here in town and I saw way too many Boston College folks here :P

Go Sabres I guess hehe
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Sharks and .....*gasp* Ottawa

You heard it hear first!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

I'll see your "Go Wings" and raise you a "Hey Datsyuk, show up in the f'ing playoffs, okay buddy?!"
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Sylvus wrote:I'll see your "Go Wings" and raise you a "Hey Datsyuk, show up in the f'ing playoffs, okay buddy?!"
After they just signed that 7 yr deal they took away his incentive to perform (remember that other Russian guy with assloads of talent and not enough motivation?).

Tough break for the Sharks with Cheechoo. Hope its not as bad as they feared last night when they were already saying he could be gone for the playoffs...

p.s. do they still have a team in St Louis? I thought they were moving to KC or some such :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Alternatively the 7 year deal could be the vote of confidence he needs to get over whatever psychological hurdle has hindered him in the past.

That's what I'm hoping!

Go Blue!
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

My pool this year is heavy on SJ and Canucks in the west.... Pittsburgh and Buffalo in the east.

Other than Hasek, there are no bonafide superstars in Detroit. I mean it's a solid team but they seem to lack that certain je ne sais quoi.

If the good San Jose team can show up consistently, I think they can go far. I'm not sure how bad Cheechoo's injury is but that could be a HUGE blow to the team.

Vancouver is solid from top to bottom. If Luongo can be consistent, they are gonna be hard to beat.

The potential Vancouver/San Jose series has the makings for some pretty fucking entertaining hockey.

Anaheim, Minnesota, Dallas, Calgary, Detroit... they are all a crapshoot. I can't even begin to predict the outcome of those series. The teams all match up well against one another.

The East is gonna be fun...

Ottawa... fuck Ottawa. They are gonna choke again... like they do every year. First game playoff jitters are out of the way for the youngsters on the Penguins. Crosby and Malkin are gonan be too hard to contain. Roberts brings them so much needed leadership and experience. Fleury looked good even in the loss last night... The game really could have been 13-3 for all the chances Ottawa was getting.

Tampa isn't gonna stand a chance against the Devils. The key to the Lightning winning is to capitalise on the other teams mistakes. Jersey just doesn't make very many mistakes.

I feel bad for the Islanders. I really do.

Rangers and Atlanta is another toss up but neither team I think is solid enough to make it beyond the second round.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Miir, I went with the same guys in my playoff pool. SJ, ANA, VAN, PIT, BUF.

6 forwards and 4 Defensemen and Cheechoo was one of them. Dang. Grier did play well on the Thorton line so all is not lost.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Sylvus wrote:Alternatively the 7 year deal could be the vote of confidence he needs to get over whatever psychological hurdle has hindered him in the past.

That's what I'm hoping!

Looks like you are correct sir
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

Wulfran wrote: p.s. do they still have a team in St Louis? I thought they were moving to KC or some such :p
No that was the Penguins, until Pittsburgh showed them the money :P

Who roots for the Islanders anyway, isn't New York's Team the Rangers? ;)
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

miir wrote:Other than Hasek, there are no bonafide superstars in Detroit. I mean it's a solid team but they seem to lack that certain je ne sais quoi.
Whaaaaaaaaat? The Wings have so much talent stacked in 4 lines it's ridiculous. They are deeper than they've been in years. If they can get decent production from Zetterberg and Datsyuk, and Hasek can hold it together, they'll go far into the playoffs.

They looked fantastic tonight, but Calgary looked off, so that may have amplified it a bit.

Also, I'm pretty sure if you look up superstar in the dictionary it would have a picture of Nicklas Lidstrom. 8)
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I define a superstar as a player who can single handedly win games for a team.

Lidstrom is a great defenceman.. definately one of the best. But not in the same echelon as a Crosby, Thornton, Lecavalier, Sakic, Briere or the Sedins. Point-a-game players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg are elite, but not superstars.

I'm not saying they aren't a good team. They play a very good team game and have balanced scoring... but I just can't see them getting past the first or second round.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Miir, did you just compare Lidstrom, who you just stated was a defenseman, to a whole string of players who are centres? (and a left wing)

Or are you saying that you only consider a great player to be a superstar if they are a forward?

I'm just assuming I missed something before I boggle at that a second time.
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

miir wrote:I define a superstar as a player who can single handedly win games for a team.

Lidstrom is a great defenceman.. definately one of the best. But not in the same echelon as a Crosby, Thornton, Lecavalier, Sakic, Briere or the Sedins. Point-a-game players like Datsyuk and Zetterberg are elite, but not superstars.
Huh?

By your definition none of the players you list should be considered a superstar either. Only goalies would.

Lidstrom is one of the top 5 in the NHL in his position and with the consistency of his performance over the past decade or so, absolutely deserves the superstar label. The game is about preventing your opponent as much as its about scoring on him. Lidstrom does it all as well as anyone in the game, and his collection of Norris trophies attest to that.
Wulfran Moondancer
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

But you know who EVERYBODY agrees is a superstar?

THE DOMINATOR
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Sueven wrote:But you know who EVERYBODY agrees is a superstar?

THE DOMINATOR
As much as I hate the whiney bitch...I do like to watch him play
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

I just feel like I should let Xouqoa know that I have 4 suite tickets to Sunday's game, and one of the people I'm taking is my 6 year-old nephew.

I apologize for being such a bastard!

Go Blue!
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

in spite of the fact the Thrashers are down 2-0 in the series...thanks in large part to a total fluke goal today...the important stat

Outhitting the rangers about 50 -15

Jagr is a pussy

that is all
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Sylvus wrote:I just feel like I should let Xouqoa know that I have 4 suite tickets to Sunday's game, and one of the people I'm taking is my 6 year-old nephew.

I apologize for being such a bastard!
GJIAGDVYCN

<3, Xou
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Sueven wrote:But you know who EVERYBODY agrees is a superstar?

THE DOMINATOR
The Sabres may have been able to go undefeated this year with Hasek in his prime on the team. He carried them in every season he was on the team, and they were playoff contenders each year (and some would say champs, but the champion is the team that gets the trophy, so regardless of the league changing the rules the following year to save face, the Sabres lost.)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Xouqoa wrote: GJIAGDVYCN
I'm not sure what that means.

Go Blue!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Sylvus wrote:
it means Zoocow hates you almost as much as he hates Calgary
Wulfran Moondancer
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Sylvus wrote:
Go Jump In A God Damned (Valley?) You (Crikey!?!) (Nooooooo!!?!) I almost had it.... I need an enigma machine.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Al wrote:
Sylvus wrote:
Go Jump In A God Damned (Valley?) You (Crikey!?!) (Nooooooo!!?!) I almost had it.... I need an enigma machine.
I'm assuming the CN = Cock Nibbler.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Go Jump In A God Damned Volcano You Cave Newt
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

Truant wrote:Go Jump In A God Damned Volcano You Cave Newt
Winnar!

Speaking of winnar... Wings better win at the Joe tomorrow or they may be eliminated on Sunday in Calgary. Flames have played much better the last two games, and Detroit was pretty terrible in game 4. Kipprusoff is amazing, though. Too bad Detroit couldn't have snagged him when he was a rookie.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

Calgary can suck me after the shit they pulled today. League should bring down the hammer, but they won't.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

I hope McLennan gets 20 games like Chris Simon. Langkow and Iginla need a few too.
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

The only one I can sort of excuse was Iginla, but he's the captain so you expect him to be more in control. At least he got penalized. The Langkow thing was bullshit and the refs didn't even see it. McLennan will definitely get a decent suspension. I just wonder if he was put into the game for that reason or what. He wasn't in there long enough for Franzen to actually have done anything to him.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

I'm thinking that Playfair had something to do with it too. I doubt anyone will rat him out though.
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

I think McClennan should have gotten more then 5 games for that BS. Even though he wont see another playoff game this year, I would have made shure by suspending him for the entire playoffs
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

Can't wait to watch game 6 tonight. McLennan didn't do anything like that hack when he was with the Blues.

How I saw it after watching the entire replay, the Detroit forwards before the hack, tripped McLennan up when the puck was heading away from him to the corner, so I guess that got him miffed enough to hack the nearest Detroit player, which happened to be Franzen. No excuse for what he did though.

Bet the same thing happens tonight if someone runs up the score. Lots of bad blood not to watch tonight ;)
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Overtime raises my blood pressure. :(

Go Blue!
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

Mine too. I felt bad for Conroy though. I'm cheering Detroit but I didn't want them to score on that power play.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Hell yes!

55 Shots on goal. :shock:

Go Blue!
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xouqoa »

And Franzen getting the game winner was all the sweeter. :)

Hopefully Dallas can win tomorrow night, and then I can score some tickets to see them play the Wings here! :D
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

The Wild got fucked.. I am not much into sports at all, but I was so pissed off when I watched the last two games against the Ducks.. Seriously, what kind of little children have to resort to the bullshit they pulled? For a bit I forgot I was watching hockey and thought maybe there was a Ultimate Fighting: On Ice edition going on.
Al
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Al »

Sylvus wrote:Hell yes!

55 Shots on goal. :shock:
It seemed like 500, I couldn't believe the goaltending the Flames had and still lost. You'd think they could punch 1 or 2 in to back up such stellar performance. (Although the game winner should have maybe been stopped, it's tough facing that many shots just to let a stupid one like that by)
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

I know jack shit about hockey but with the Islanders out I'm going to have to be rooting for the Canucks, just on principle: the only two teams with Danish players.
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Interesting wrapup to the 1st round.

I'm really happy that my hometown team Ottawa downed Pittsburg. I'm real nervous against Jersey and Brodeur now however.

Also, Go Canucks!!! Saw the last 10 minutes of the game last night and Luongo is the MAN!

I'm real happy there's 2 canadian teams that move on to round 2.
Lynks
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lynks »

I was really hoping Turco and the Stars could pull through.
Drolgin Steingrinder
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: Drolgin

Post by Drolgin Steingrinder »

Jannik Hansen is going to be a superstar. So is Frans Nielsen. Fuck everyone else.

Thank you!
IT'S HARD TO PUT YOUR FINGER ON IT; SOMETHING IS WRONG
I'M LIKE THE UNCLE WHO HUGGED YOU A LITTLE TOO LONG
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Drolgin Steingrinder wrote:I know jack shit about hockey but with the Islanders out I'm going to have to be rooting for the Canucks, just on principle: the only two teams with Danish players.

I think you should become a Red Wings fan. Look at all of your countrymen they have:

Valtteri Filppula - Vantaa, Finland
Johan Franzen - Vetlanda, Sweden
Tomas Holmstrom - Pitea, Sweden
Niklas Kronwall - Stockholm, Sweden
Niklas Lidstrom - Vasteras, Sweden
Andreas Lilja - Helsingborg, Sweden
Mikael Samuelsson - Mariefred, Sweden
Henrik Zetterberg - Njurunda, Sweden

Go Blue!
Waran
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Waran »

Damn sweedes! No wonder I hate Detroit so much ;)
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Waran wrote:Damn sweedes! No wonder I hate Detroit so much ;)
Its because they whine like Edmonton used to when Gretzky et al were there. I hope San Jose runs Hasek like he tried to complain Calgary was and assholes like Zetterberg and Holmstrom were actually running Kiprusoff. I'm hating the Pink Wings almost as much as the Rangers now.

And Langkow's shot on that low-bridging fairy was awesome! Love how Detroit tried to claim concussion on top of the ankle he fucked on himself though.
Wulfran Moondancer
Trek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Trek »

Sharks 4-2
I think the Wings will take game 1, but after that I expect SJ to take it

Canucks 4-3
I think the Ducks will have their wings clipped

Sabers 4-1
NYR might steal 1 game, but even with their great vets they will fall to Buffalo fairly easily

Senators 4-2
Only chance the Devils have is if Broduer does headstands, which could happen....but I doubt it