Chocolate-Cherry-Almond Biscotti

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Every time I make this for ANYONE, they want me to make more. So please... you people start making it so I don't have to so goddamn often.

The below is from the Williams-Sonoma Healthy Cooking - cookbook. My comments are at the very bottom.
(low in fat - low in cholesterol)

Chocolate and cherries are a great combination. So are chocolate and almonds. Fortunately, almonds are the lowest in fat of all the nuts, so you can use a fair amount of them in these long, slender cookies. Cherries contain flavonoids such as quercitin, a potent antioxidant that defends cells against cancer. As with many chocolate deserts, the biscotti tastes better a day or two after they are made, when the flavors have had a chance to meld. The cookies ship well too, so keep them in mind for holiday gift giving. If possible, use insulated baking sheets, which are constructed with an air pocket between two layers of metal, to protect against over browning.

Ingredients:
  • 1¾ cups (9 oz/280 g) unbleached all-purpose (plain) flour
  • 1 cup (8 oz/250 g) granulated sugar
  • ½ cup (1½ oz/45 g) Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
  • ¼ cup (2 oz/60 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
  • Kosher salt
  • ¾ cup (3 oz/90 g) dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
  • ¾ cup (4½ oz/140 g) blanched almonds, coarsely chopped
  • 3 large whole eggs, plus 1 large egg white
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (essence)
  • ⅛ teaspoon almond extract (essence)
Makes 4 dozen cookies

Directions:
Position racks in the upper third and lower third of the oven and
preheat to 325°F (165°C). Line 2 baking sheets, preferably insulated sheets, with parchment (baking) paper.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and ½ teaspoon salt until well mixed. Add the cherries and almonds and toss with your hands to distribute them evenly.

In another bowl, whisk together the whole eggs, egg white, and vanilla and almond extracts. Pour into the dry ingredients. Using a fork, mix together the dry and wet ingredients, taking care to work all the bits of dry ingredients into the dough. This will take about 5 minutes. The dough will be dense and sticky. Divide the dough in half.

Place a piece of plastic wrap 18 inches (45 cm) long on the countertop. Transfer half the dough to the plastic wrap. Lightly moisten your hands with cold water to prevent the dough from sticking to them, then shape the dough into a flattened log 12 inches (30 cm) long by 2½ inches (6 cm) wide by 1 inch (2.5 cm) high. Lifting the plastic wrap and cradling the dough, flip the dough onto the center of one of the prepared baking sheets. Repeat with the remaining dough, flipping it onto the second prepared baking sheet.

Bake the logs until they are dry to the tough and firm in the center when pressed with your fingers, about 30 minutes. They will spread considerably and may crack slightly on top. Transfer to wire racks and let the logs cool on the pans for 30 minutes. The logs will be slightly warm to the touch.

Carefully transfer the logs to a cutting board and set the parchment-lined pans aside. Using a serrated knife, cut the logs crosswise on the diagonal into slices ½ inch (12 mm) wide.

Arrange the slices, cut side down, on the lined baking sheets, placing them close together but not touching. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and, using tongs or a spatula, turn the biscotti. Continue to bake until dry and crisp, 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer the biscotti to wire racks to cool completely. Store the biscotti in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three weeks.
My comments: I've never, ever seen these last three weeks, but maybe you guys have more self-control than the people I've given them to. =P

On a serious note, when it says the dough will be dense and sticky, that's a huge understatement. It will be like cement, and I find that a fork doesn't stir it well at all. I use a long-handled silicone mixing spoon I purchased from Williams-Sonoma which works great for me.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Fuckin' A, where do I find a man who will make BISCOTTI? Its a special fucking occasion when Eric pulls out a jar of Ragu or the George Foreman grill!

sigh
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

Thanks for the recipe. I spent a couple of hours today churning these out. I have them in the over now for round two. I ate one of the heals because it wasn't very biscotti looking, and it was very delicious. I'm looking forward to having some with my coffee and Bailey's tomorrow!
Xyphir
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Xyphir »

I didn't have time to go out and find Dutch process cocoa, so I used Hershey's cocoa powder and it turned out fine. After reading through sever articles, I'm still not exactly sure what the difference is aside from something about baking powder and alkalinity. I cut them a little thick so I only ended up with about 30 cookies.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

I've been wanting to know how to make Biscotti! Thanks for this recipe. It is really really tasty.

I tried making these along with an almond/vanilla biscotti recipe. It's such a great treat to make in abundance for friends, family, etc. since they last for all eternity.

Made about 200 hundred of these things for various friends and put them in some re-used tins I've saved up over time, with some other goodies such as this:

Cashew Brittle

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups granulated sugar
* 1 cup light corn syrup
* 1/2 cup water
* 1 cup butter
* 3 cups cashews
* 1 teaspoon baking soda

PREPARATION:
In a large saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and water. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil; blend in butter. Begin to stir frequently when syrup reaches the thread stage, about 230°.

When temperature is 280°, or soft-crack stage, add cashews. Stir constantly until hard-crack stage, o300°, is reached. Remove from heat and quickly stir in baking soda. Mix well. Pour onto two buttered baking sheets or jelly roll-size baking pans. As the candy cools, stretch it out thinner by lifting and pulling at edges with forks. Loosen from the pans as soon as possible and turn over. Break hardened candy up and store in an airtight container.

---------------------------------------------------

The other goodies that I put in the tins were spiced roasted almonds. Very easy recipe and you can manipulate the recipe to your specific taste needs. Very addictive snack! Be careful though because even though these nut's provide a healthier fat, it's still fat...

Spice-Roasted Almonds

These almonds are given a treatment of spices and a short baking time for amazing rich flavor and intense crunch.

Ingredients:

* 1 tablespoon chili powder
* 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 2 cups whole almonds

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, combine chili powder, olive oil, kosher salt, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, and pepper; add almonds and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
2. Bake about 10 minutes or until almonds are toasted, stirring twice. Cool almonds completely before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The idea behind all of these goodies is that they will last a long time. So whoever you make them for can consume them at their leisure. :)

Normally this is something I would do around Christmas, but I had too much time on my hands and decided I'd make some homemade gifts for people as winter faded into early spring. Always fun to just create a spontaneous occasion for these kind of things. People really appreciate it! :D
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Sorry to derail your biscotti thread btw. I can create a separate thread if you'd like? :P