Searching for a car

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: tjevolved

Searching for a car

Post by Gonzoie - Luclin »

Ok so i drove a 95 Monte Carlo Z34 with 3.4L V6. The thing was fast when i pushed it, and it was luxurious with leather seats, power everything, and a wicked factory sound system..

Well, the tranny died while i was in Philly the other day, so now im out of a car. Im buying a beater car to get me around for a few months and then im going to be looking to spend in the neighborhood of 15k on a nice new or used car with the same type of mover as my monte carlo. Im looking for a good V6 engine, or a car that can move but provides luxury too.

Few cars ive been looking at are the new Honda Accord V6 ( V-Tech engine ) as well as Acura CL 3.2 V6 ( V-Tech as well ). Also if i feel i want more of a sporty car and less luxury im looking at a used S2000. My initial thought was to get a 95 BMW M3, but i dont want to pay too much for maintenance like a BMW, Mercedes, Jag, or Saab.

I dont want a Ford, nor do i want a Mazda or Dodge unless its a Stealth. Any input you guys could provide on a nice luxury type coupe with power?( Sleeper car would be ideal ).
Darttanion Romances, 70 bard (Retired)
Gonzoie Eatsalot, 65 Druid (Long been Retired)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Well, the tranny died while i was in Philly the other day
WTF were you doing with a tansvestite in your car in Philidelphia?
And what did you do with her/his corpse?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

miir wrote:
I honestly hope your kidding, but im refering to the Transmission.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Gonzoie - Luclin wrote:
miir wrote:
I honestly hope your kidding, but im refering to the Transmission.

:vv_boggle:
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I can give you any info on Stealth/3KGT you might want. Let me know heh.

You need to specify a bit more what you want. 2 door? 4 door? Import? Domestic? You are a bit all over the place going from wanting a V6 to a S2000 (a car I personally can't stand but other people love). Also, what is your definition of fast and sporty?
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

i mentioned in the post that i was looking for a coupe. I want a 2d Coupe with power and luxury that i can get used or new for around 15k. The M3 would be a perfect example of the car im looking for, i just dont want to dish out to maintain a BMW.

I doubt i will like the S2000 after a test drive being that i am 6'2. But it is still on my test drive list and list of considerations.

I was looking at some 3kGT's and Stealths, but now im diverting away from exotic and back to coupe.
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I think you're going to be hard pressed finding an s2000 for 15k and M3's are pretty scarce in that price range as well.

You can't get a luxurious anything for 15k new. That's strictly econbox territory for a new car thse days(although econo boxes nowadays are worlds better than even 5 years ago, they're not aiming for luxury or even set to include a powerful engine).

Hell, the newer monte carlo look pretty unique and a relatively new one can be had in the 15k range. The CL might be a good choice like you suggested but there's not a ton of those on the road either.

I never really understood the coupe thing though. Sports cars, sure because they're all just toys, but never the lack of versatililty of a coupe. When there are very sporty cars with far more practical designs, it just never made sense to me.

I wish I had 15k to spend on a car when I was 20. I was sporting around in one of these http://www.cardomain.com/ride/402753, a 1980 datsun 210 wagon except mine was orange. Gotta love the school bus styled floor shifter and sweat inducing vinyl seats. At least I was able to pack all of my crap for college into it in one trip by myself.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Ive found several S2000s and several M3s in the range..

The reason for a Coupe in my eyes is mixing sporty with conservative. I could go buy a V8 sports car and burn my gas and have a lot of fun, or i can get a coupe, still have a lot of fun, and not burn all my gas.

Ive been looking at newer Monte Carlos as well, i wouldn't mind picking up a new one at all if thats what it comes down to.

My mind is open to pretty much everything. I started looking at a Caddy CTS. So i mean, I am willing to try all aspects of the field, its just the matter of finding the car i want to be driving in for a while and worth spending 15k on.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

You could pick up a 3 series beemer, around an 03 with 40-50k for about 15k, BMW flooded the market with these damn lease tradins now because they jacked the residual to hell and backon 42 and 48 month leases.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Like i said my original intention was a BMW M3 with 3 series closely behind, however, if i am paying 15k for a car, based off rent, insurance, and car payments, i dont know if ill be able to afford the routine maintenance with that. Trust me, if i could drive a beamer, i would, but i really would rather own my own place and drive a great car, than live with a relative and drive a fantastic car.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

You can get some E36 M3s for $15K but not E46s. The E36 is a hell of a driver's car but short on power. Damn fun in the twisties though. And yes you will have BMW maintenance (although the E36 was before German quality took a dive.. and that dive hit Mercedes way way worse).

Domestic car quality has increased some but is still way behind imports. Same with interior quality, Europeans have an advantage there. Domestics typically have more power for the money and cheaper parts.

To be honest, if you are in school still get something cheap and reliable until you get a good job with a steady income. An Accord V6 might be a good car for you. Can get a decent Audi A4 (4 door though) for $15K but parts will cost more. Lexus SC300 and SC400 are great cars and definitely worth looking into. Mitsubishi Eclipse (even though I can't stand them). Toyota Celica isn't a bad car either. Or you can always look at a Scion tC or a VW GTi :)

Sorry, not an expert at the car types you are looking for.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Im not in school right now actually, i graduated with an AAS in Computer Graphic Arts, but i picked up a job in sales making roughly 20k on salary + 12-40k on commission a year. The job is steady enough with income and the sales are reliable every week.

I dont want an eclipse, however i plan on buying a 91 eclipse with turbo and AWD on saturday to last me until June when i plan on buying my car for my 21st birthday. Eclipse's are too much of a chick car in my opinion, unless of course its the turbo with AWD!

Ive also looked at some Lexus' but not the ones you mentioned, so ill check them out. I thought about a TC, would be nice to be able to buy a nice car like that brand new for 17k with options, but i just dont think its quite what im looking for. Im just trying to hit every option i can so i can get the car that i really enjoy driving since i plan on having this car till im 25 at least.
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I know several guys with heavily modified Stealths/VR4s/Vettes who daily drive SC3/400s and love them. They are on a very short list of potential daily drivers for me.
Gonzoie - Luclin
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

the problem with SC's are their front is sooo long, lincoln style. But yah, besides that, i wouldn't mind owning one.. my newest venture has been price checking 2003 CTS' with all avail options. Found a nice black one with a rebuilt title with all options for 17k. Dont think i want a rebuilt title tho, says only a minor fender bender, but if he was hit on the right angle the frame may never be straight again. So i dont know if i wanna risk that one.