Age of Conan

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Janx
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
XBL Gamertag: Janx

Re: Age of Conan

Post by Janx »

From what I've played of warhammer, I think most of you will be highly unimpressed. Think DAoC in warhammer universe...yeah..its that.."old" feeling. Animations, textures etc.. are all last gen. The world feels boxed in ala wow/eq1 with zone walls directing you to the next area, and sadly most of those areas are MUCH smaller then even WoW's. Even the PvP was very DAoCish like with keeps where you spawn with ubr guards outside the gates that will WTFpwn you if you get to close.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

That does not surprise me at all. Whenever people expect the second coming, all that happens is disappointment.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

cadalano wrote:have you actually seen their videos of "mounted combat"?

it actually looks completely retarded
Mounted combat is something that is hard to capture in video games. I'm not making excuses for them, I just never expect it to be done right this decade. It usually is just a different model, but we're used to seeing a different style altogether with ride-by attacks so when implemented in a video game it just looks weird because horses don't move the same way a person does and the mechanics of that would be interesting for the programmer.

Remember EQ1 horses and the whole ramp-up, ramp-down of speed. I mean someone's thought about it, but it's insane to try to control it and the physics of it didn't feel right and were a pain in the ass.

They need a good game that features mounted combat with riding skill giving better control and special moves (horse attacks, ride-by attacks, etc) with crazy shit like being dehorsed and knocked prone if you don't make a certain skill check. The horse needs to be it's own entity, it's not an extension of the person that despawns the second you jump off.
- Ash
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

Mount and Blade did it right. 2 Turks programming the whole game in thier spare time. Go figure a whole company in the US getting paid, cannot get it right.
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Xanupox wrote:Mount and Blade did it right. 2 Turks programming the whole game in thier spare time. Go figure a whole company in the US getting paid, cannot get it right.
Funcom is not a US company you fucking retard.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

True dat, Miir.

I did have a look at the Blade & Mount homepage. That looks pretty sweet and pretty intense. Shareware?
- Ash
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Xanupox wrote:Mount and Blade did it right. 2 Turks programming the whole game in thier spare time. Go figure a whole company in the US getting paid, cannot get it right.
Yes, man, that's it. They NAILED mounted combat. I dig this game. When I'm not mounted in this game I am afraid!

Upside: The whole physics of a whipping out your bastard sword at a gallop as you approach some fuckstick man-at-arms with a longbow who's pissing himself in fear just owns.

Downside: Taking part in a tournament and finding out YOU are the foot archer and there's two mounted knights bearing down on you.

I think it's separate thread time.
- Ash
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

miir wrote:
I feel good that you want in on the Mythos Beta, the game is so much fun without you.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Xanupox wrote:
miir wrote:
I feel good that you want in on the Mythos Beta, the game is so much fun without you.
I think I'd rather not be in either beta than be the worthless sack of shit you have to wake up to every morning. :)
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Conan is one of the few games I wanted a beta account for.

Don't they realize that I'd write a ten page review even if I only managed to log in for five minutes?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

That would be why you didn't get one.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Don't they realize that I'd include so many screen shots that if you scrolled fast, it would look like a movie?
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

They only recently added women to the game, so they probably aren't quite ready for you to play it.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dregor Thule wrote:They only recently added women to the game, so they probably aren't quite ready for you to play it.
You serious? That makes sense then.

If you go to the Age of Conan site (which is very laggy) and select the "Live" button, you'll eventually see a female character pop up on the left hand side. (you can keep hitting "next" if impatient although most of the videos are worth watching) She looks pretty good as do the females seen in the various movies they run while you wait.

http://www.ageofconan.com/

The music is pretty good. It makes me want to let out an Arnold Aaarrgghhhh scream and swing around my light saber spoon.

PS: select the United States flag, not the British, when you reach the site. (no idea why they have two flags for English!)
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I was considering this game but decided to wait until Winnow wrote up the 10 page review and added movie-like screen shots for me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:I was considering this game but decided to wait until Winnow wrote up the 10 page review and added movie-like screen shots for me.
These bastards never let me in the beta.

This game gets 1/10 for the beta

I still plan on picking it up when it's released though.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

I was in the stress test this past Sunday. It was... well, it was definitely not something that seemed 1 month from release, and I'm not talking about the lag/server crashes as those were expected.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Here's two new videos (one video split in two parts) It shows how combat works and a dungeon crawl:

http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/age-of-con ... 5465674097

The guy mentions there's 1,500 sets of armor in the game which sounds promising.

The melee combat requires real time swinging of your weapon while you can see the mob's defenses. The guy explains that the mob can shift their defense to the side you're beating them on if you don't mix it up.

Sounds interesting but also might be tedious.

I'll be getting this game for sure no mater what. Supposedly you can preorder if from Walmart to get a three day headstart before the May 23rd release date but I haven't seen anything in their stores except rednecks.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Looks like the same shit, same story, same colossal waste of time.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Fash wrote:Looks like the same shit, same story, same colossal waste of time.
That's why I'm getting it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

$5 download fee applies to the early access promotion
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:$5 download fee applies to the early access promotion
How do you get the early promotion thingy? Can you just order it directly from the AoC website? (too lazy to look!)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

With the pre-order registration. There was a check box for whether or not you wanted to get early access as well as the code for the mount.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:With the pre-order registration. There was a check box for whether or not you wanted to get early access as well as the code for the mount.
Hmm well since you can download the game, pre-ording it online isn't a big deal I guess. It does matter where you pre-order from. After checking them out, at first glance, it looks like gamestop offers the most useful items (War Mammoth and 8 Inventory slots) I know these things won't be available until later in the game due to level restrictions but the inventory slots look like they're available immediately.

Reading the AoC forums would probably help which I might do.

Amazon.com gives you a lame bow and mini guide:
Pre-order the standard or collector’s edition of Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures from Amazon.com and receive three great bonus items including:

* The Amazon Curved Bow

From the fabled dark jungles of Amazonia the female warriors of Gamburu are well known for their combat prowess with bronze bladed shortswords and curved bows alike. At the cost of many brave lives, Hyrkanian raiders brought home a handful of the unique Amazonian bows, now mostly found in the black markets of Aquilonia.

The Amazon Curved Bow becomes available to characters at level 25 and is the finest bow available at that level. The Amazon Curved Bow can be used by Rangers, Barbarians, Bear Shaman, and Tempests of Set and will be very helpful for mid-level characters.

* Age of Conan Mini-Guide

A hardcover, 6"x7", 64-page, wonderfully illustrated guide to the Conan universe, written by Roy Thomas.

* An Offer to Join the 3-day Early Access Program

Begin playing the game on May 17, 3 days before the commercial release on May 20, 2008. You may begin downloading the game client files and installing as early as May 14. Then you may create a character and begin playing on May 17. Note: There is a nominal fee of $5 that covers the cost of the download and includes 10 days of additional game time. To redeem, visit register.ageofconan.com and enter the unique key that you received.

Please note:
You will receive a unique key code via email. The unique code can be used to gain entry when the Early Access Program begins and to redeem the in-game Amazon Bow. This offer is good while supplies last.
Gamestop gives you a War Mammoth and 8 extra inventory slots
Pre-order Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures at GameStop and receive an exclusive in-game mountable character: The War Mammoth - In addition, you will immediately receive the Mammoth Traveler's Bag giving you 8 additional inventory slots to help you in your quests. Offer good while supplies last. Online customers will be emailed a code and instructions on how to redeem the in-game mount. Please provide a valid email address when ordering. In-store customers will receive a rave card containing the code and instructions.

3-Day Early Access Program

With your pre-order Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures, you will be able to participate in the 3-day Early Access Program. Early access period starts on May 17, 3 days before the commercial release on May 20, 2008. You may begin downloading the game client files and installing as early as May 14. With early access, there is a nominal fee of $5, which covers the cost of the download and includes 10 days of additional game time.
Best Buy gives you a War Rhino:
Free bonus pack, including Battle Rhino download, with pre-order

Role-playing game fans, get ready to revel in the hack-and-slash powers of the mighty Cimmerian, Conan!

Based on Robert E. Howard's famous fantasy epics, this Mature-rated MMORPG takes gamers to a world of savage brutality and pulse-pounding adventure.

And now, when you pre-order the game, you can choose a free Best Buy exclusive bonus pack. It includes a download code good for a free in-game Battle Rhino!
Go Gamer gives you a AoC Guide:
Pre-order Age of Conan and receive a Free Age of Conan Guide Book along with your order!
Experience the amazing world of Age of Conan with this fantastic Bonus!

With hundreds of art pieces hand-picked by the Art Director, this 128-page book delivers a stunning visual experience.
Featuring never-before-seen art pieces, it fully depicts the incredible amounts of art which went into the creation of the savage world of Hyborian.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, I have the Best Buy pack. I had originally wanted the Mammoth code, but I forgot where I had seen it and just grabbed this one :/
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:yeah, I have the Best Buy pack. I had originally wanted the Mammoth code, but I forgot where I had seen it and just grabbed this one :/
People seem to like the Rhino

http://forums.ageofconan.com/showthread.php?t=47867
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I didn't read too far into that thread, but the main reason I have heard others say they preferred the rhino for was the description of it being built for pvp and siege warfare. Checking out the main site, it appears the mammoth is as well. I think the only thing I haven't seen for the rhino, and I have not dug too deep, is whether or not it has the saddle bags as well.

I am actually torn about whether or not I actually want to pick up the game after the open beta weekend. It reminds me of a prettier version of a Vanguard/DAoC clone.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote: I am actually torn about whether or not I actually want to pick up the game after the open beta weekend. It reminds me of a prettier version of a Vanguard/DAoC clone.
I'm not 100% sure myself!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

So the Rhino is best for pvp out of all the items? Trying to decide where to preorder now.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Aardor wrote:So the Rhino is best for pvp out of all the items? Trying to decide where to preorder now.
From what I read last night, the Rhino and Mammoth are both useful in PvP. The Rhino is more agile, while the Mammoth has more hp's.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'll probably get the Rhino as well mainly because Best Buy is my store of choice. I haven't had good luck at the GameStop in my area. Besides I'll use my rewards card and get some points off of it. I am going to test out the game for the free period before I commit to any monthly fee.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

A word of caution to those contemplating buying this game:

Be prepared to be griefed, rez camped, etc.. I don't mind PvP, but I feel that there has to be a limit to what people can do. This is one of the other reasons I am not too thrilled about the game as it is right now. Global chat indicates that many of the less mature elements of the gaming population feels that this game is for rampant griefing and nothing else. If you are just wanting to play something new based on Conan lore, you might want to hold off for a bit.

I will probably pick it up, since I had already pre-ordered, but I don't intend to give them much more of my money if there isn't some kind of structure developed. All of the people from WoW that I know of going to this game will be on either PvP or RP-PvP servers.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Can I kill bats, rats, and spiders in this game? I've been doing that in MMORPGs for a decade now and I just can't seem to get enough of it. /sarcasam off

Ironically, the first video of this game I found was of a group fighting a giant bat. Fuck me, no thanks!

While making this post, I found a bunch of old previews of the orginal EQ. Pretty fun stuff. I feel lucky to have been involved in such a gaming innovation. Between MMORPGs and RTS games, I've been there pretty much since the start. I think I was a tad behind on FPS games though. Quake 2 was the first I really got into that genre, but had played Doom several times.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I have fought panthers, lions, scorpions, giant tentacled trees, but mostly "humans."
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Fairweather Pure wrote:Can I kill bats, rats, and spiders in this game? I've been doing that in MMORPGs for a decade now and I just can't seem to get enough of it. /sarcasam off
I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I just can't see how people on this board are still interested in buying and playing these games. It's true that we were there for the beginning and have been through a lot, but I thought by now everyone would have realized what a giant waste of time it is. We helped create the market in which they can rehash any old lore and make an MMO out of it, for the sole purpose of taking our money in dribs and drabs. We had our fun and we built our community, now isn't it time to move on? Long gone are the days when I will allow a game to demand my time and participation.

Before you pick this game up and get hooked on it, think about it... you're going to start at level 1 again and spend a whole shitload of time and money before getting bored and quitting, and when you do it's all for nothing. Unless you're Xanupox and eBay the guild bank.

For your own good... reconsider.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

It's interactive entertainment, Fash. You may as well ask why people play games at all.

EDIT: I picked up EQ2 to both have a game to play when I had nothing else to do that was entertaining (I'm a night owl), and to hang out with friends and old guildmates. It beats the hell out of sitting around watching TV.
- Ash
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

I still play games... but they don't have any required time commitment or addictive qualities. GTA IV, Rock Band, and Assassins Creed are all good games that I can pick up and put down at any time. There is nothing in most games that compels you to waste any more time than you have to spare. RockStar and Harmonix don't care too much if I actually play. MMOs want all of your time, month after month, and ding noises will encourage you to oblige.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Fash wrote:I still play games... but they don't have any required time commitment or addictive qualities. GTA IV, Rock Band, and Assassins Creed are all good games that I can pick up and put down at any time. There is nothing in most games that compels you to waste any more time than you have to spare. RockStar and Harmonix don't care too much if I actually play. MMOs want all of your time, month after month, and ding noises will encourage you to oblige.
There are addictive qualities to every game. Each person playing may be addicted for a different reason.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I think the biggest change is that there are more immature people playing MMORPGs. We had our share in EQ but online gaming was still not mainstream. With WoW drawing in the kiddies with its cartoonish graphics and dumbed down gameplay, the genre is now stuck with a bunch of players that are there to goof off more than get into a challenging guild type situation.

AoC appears to be drawing the WoW crowd which is a bad sign for the the AoCommunity.

I kind of liked the solitude of running from Halas to N Freeport in the old days! Big world, scary mobs, big penalties for dying.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

I kind of liked the solitude of running from Halas to N Freeport in the old days! Big world, scary mobs, big penalties for dying.
Yep! The Barbarian Shaman run! I remember running across the continent as fast as I could because someone was selling me something and was going to log soon. I recall bouncing off people's heads as they were in pitched melee as I ran through Highpass.
- Ash
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ashur wrote: I recall bouncing off people's heads as they were in pitched melee as I ran through Highpass.

Running through the Gorge was quicker for me! I just stayed right to avoid the mudmen and then getting through RunnyEye was a snap. With this route, you could stop by and say hi to the hobbits and hear their cheerful song to prepare you for the undead the next leg of the trip if it was during the night!

For most games I can't remember anything but for EQ I can remember the zones in detail in my head. (For the original, kunark, Velious and most of Luclin...after that, who cares. (well PoP isn't too hard to remember)
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fash wrote:Before you pick this game up and get hooked on it, think about it... you're going to start at level 1 again and spend a whole shitload of time and money before getting bored and quitting, and when you do it's all for nothing.
That's why I never bothered playing anything other than EQ. No having to spend time starting all over again at level 1. Boom! I'm a freakin genius.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Bagar-
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Bagar- »

Fash wrote:I still play games... but they don't have any required time commitment or addictive qualities. GTA IV, Rock Band, and Assassins Creed are all good games that I can pick up and put down at any time. There is nothing in most games that compels you to waste any more time than you have to spare. RockStar and Harmonix don't care too much if I actually play. MMOs want all of your time, month after month, and ding noises will encourage you to oblige.

I'd like to point out that "time commitment" and "addictive qualities" are all on you, the player; not the game. I was one as "addicted" to the Final Fantasy series of games as I was to EQ or am to WoW. It's all on you, and how much time you're willing to spend. Being in college, I have a lot of free time ,and choose to spend a lot of it on wow - if I didn't have a lot of time I would still play wow, to a lesser degree (which i've done in the past). It's a personal choice, not relevant to the actual game.

If you're basing your judgements off of original EQ then i'm afraid you're a bit outdated. EQ was harsh on any "casual" sort of players to a high degree - whereas MMO's these days, including WoW and presumably any to follow, are becoming much more "casual" friendly. In wow you can attain the same level of gear playing casually as you can from raiding; over a slightly longer period of time. In EQ that was never possible. I use Gear as an example, however the content level for casuals and raiders is just as large also, as well as the PvP opportunities and rewards.

So, in summary - fuck off with your outdated and presumptuous thinking. If people want to play a shit-ass game like AOC, let them! The supposed time-requirements and "addiction" is a personal issue, not a game issue; and certainly not limited to MMOs at all.
Going out to play pool now with my fellow klan members. Have a nice night. - Midnyte
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

Fash wrote:
Fairweather Pure wrote:Can I kill bats, rats, and spiders in this game? I've been doing that in MMORPGs for a decade now and I just can't seem to get enough of it. /sarcasam off
I don't want to sound like a broken record, .... before getting bored and quitting, and when you do it's all for nothing. Unless you're Xanupox and eBay the guild bank.

For your own good... reconsider.
I thought you were my nigger bitch too. Damn. Need a few guard swords to sell you slut?
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

I played AoC in beta and up until just a few days ago.

I will share my point of view. If you want all our insanity then play on a FFA PvP server. Everyone against everyone, EVERYWHERE! (except in city instances).

This is the most like the original Ultima Online rulesets as I have ever seen in a game since 1997. You either form a neutral bond against others in your area or you attack them. No other options. If you group then you are safer but no one is completely safe. I have saw people group up, then when thier group mate is low health, they disband group and kill them off for an easy kill, lol.

I have saw the respawn pads camped with groups just farming the hell out of people choosing to respawn at that point. However you get to CHOOSE where you want to respawn, so if the pad is camped, just pick another. I did see many idiots though trying to respawn and run away to die a thousand deaths.

In the FFA PvP servers, you are scared to even engage a mob because you never know when an assassin or ranger is going to come out of stealth and hammer you.

The chaos is like no other MMO. Decapitation, Tits, cussing, carnage... it is all there. Global chat is rated Mature. The GMs dont care if you cuss. They say, the game is Mature and language is part of the warning on the box. Soon after every cuss word in the book, lit up the global chat and the GM laughed. hahah.

Kids shouldnt be playing this game as it is rated M.

I am gonna be playing.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I bought my Rhino and registered. When and where can I download? Seeing as how I paid the $5 fee to do so.
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Xanupox »

http://funcom.cachefly.net/AoC-US-EarlyAccess.exe

http://funcom.solidstatenetworks.com/about/
There ya go. You are supposed to get an email which gives some info and the download link. I still have not got mine but this link if on thier forums. It kinda sucks, peer2peer client.

I suggest lowering your upload to the lowest setting, set the download limit to unlimited and then set it to 5 peers. It defaults to 50 peers but when I use that many it just seems like I get stuck with some slow ass uploaders that makes my overall download slower. I set it to 5 and it is up to around 500K/sec now. Started at 200K with 50 peers going.

I wish it was a direct download, I can DL around 980K/sec so I am getting around half of my pipe.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Early Access client is posted on the newsgroups. Can get it fast there (if you have Supersearch or can find it another way)

alt.binaries.games

It looks to be about 13GB+ in size
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

note:

above filename is aoc-eu-earlyaccess

if eu stands for eurofag union, it might not be the right one to get.

Unless you download TB's of info a month and dump half of it, I'd research the filename first!
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Fash »

Winnow wrote:Unless you download TB's of info a month and dump half of it, I'd research the filename first!
:lol:
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.