Age of Conan

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Age of Conan

Post by Hesten »

Ashur wrote:
I kind of liked the solitude of running from Halas to N Freeport in the old days! Big world, scary mobs, big penalties for dying.
Yep! The Barbarian Shaman run! I remember running across the continent as fast as I could because someone was selling me something and was going to log soon. I recall bouncing off people's heads as they were in pitched melee as I ran through Highpass.
Hehe, at level 10 or so with my rogue, before i started Hesten, a friend started playing, and started a shaman, and i promised to help him out. Running from Freeport to Halas at level 10 = SCARY.
I think i managed to pull around half the mobs in South Karana (the one with the stupid mountain paths, i think it was south), including a cyclops to the zone.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:So it takes 5000 hours to get through levels 60-80?

Thats 208 days played, 24/7. (or ~ 85.6 TB downloaded for some!)

Winnow had 365+ RL days played (453,825 slows, 21,403 Focus and 1 True North spell cast) so I guess it's possible.
You were weak, i cast more True North than you did :)
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Should open in about 20 minutes.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

I'm glad i slept 4 hours longer than when the servers were supposed to be up. So far this is reminding me of EQ patch days.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

How's the game?

My copy is in my town in some UPS warehouse. Date of delivery is scheduled for the 21st, but I hope they stop by on Monday.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I only got a few hours of time in so far due to it being a really nice day out yesterday and commitments on WoW. From what I have seen so far in this single player section it is really pretty cool. I am really loving the combat system. Granted I am only a level 7 guardian atm so I don't have much to go on. I have to get used to some of the interface setup but once I do I think I will be playing pretty well.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

The AoC General Discussion forum is hilarious. People are giving up already. They're fed up, they've had enough!

Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

So I bought my copy of Age of Conan last week Monday and got it all downloaded and installed and got all the updates up to the point of release. I stayed up late on Friday night to see if they will open at Midnight but they didn’t. I didn’t first get into the game until 3:30pm on Saturday. When I did get in it was just before dinner time so I only got into the character creation portion of the game.

When you start you are onboard a slave galley. You pick your gender and class and name and then you can modify your looks pretty well. It reminded me a bit of Vanguard’s set up only not so detailed and with more hairstyles. I created a Female, Aqualonian, Guardian. Basically a Tank type. I didn’t want to have anything to do with magic this game. I don’t want to have to worry about Mana, Spells, or Pets. Once I got her all squared away (name is Obellox btw on Thog server) I entered the game.

Basically what happens is that your ship sunk and you are a survivor washed up on shore with no memory of your past. You have a strange mark on your chest that plays into the story. You then have to make your way to town after talking to this guy who saved you on the beach. Now from what I understand the story changes for each archetype. You have to do a few quests here and there in order to actually make your way into the city. A lot of fighting on the way as well. Very cool.

Once you make it into town you go to this Inn where you get more of your story and enter into Night mode or Single Player mode. You play a single player game for the main storyline. I believe you have to be about level 19 in order to get the final quest in that line and after that you are free to explore the world.

Things I really like:
Climbing – you can actually climb up and down things in designated areas. It’s very cool. It opens whole new avenues of locations.
Combat – This is from a Soldier perspective. I love the attacks and combos. You can’t leave your computer like you can in WoW. If you stop mashing buttons you will stop attacking and you will die. There are great AoE melee attacks that do incredibly cool special effects.
Graveyards – you can choose which graveyard you want to be ress’d at within a certain area.
Death Penalty – You die and appear at a GY of your choice if available. You get marked as having recently died which carries some penalties on stats and such. If you go back to where you died there is a tombstone that you can click on to wipe those effects. If you choose not to go for you tombstone the effects wear off after a certain amount of time.
Story – So far I am loving the quests and the stories. It is well worth taking it slow to enjoy them. The quests all seem to be more involved and revolve around a main storyline. Granted this is still very early in the game but that is my impression so far.

Things I am iffy on:
Grouping – I am not sure how grouping works yet. I am kind of worried about the speed of the combat. It’s fast. I grouped with an NPC and got a bit confused as to who was attacking what.
Targeting – tying in with grouping somewhat. I have a bit of trouble switching targets. It is probably just me and something I have to get used to.
Graphics – I love the graphics in this game however I am not sure if I will need a new video card or wait for them to optimize a bit better. Time will tell. Running through town I have to stop to let the textures catch up. It is especially bad when I run into an area and find myself surrounded by badguys.
Gear – This is totally something that I will simply have to learn. There are stats on items that I just don’t understand yet. I’m sure I will though.

I’m sure I am missing some stuff.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Thanks for the review. Keep us updated as you figure stuff out and progress a bit further. Does this game have voice communication built in, or do you have to use vent/teamspeak?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

My copy was delivered today. It's installed and patched, ready for launch!
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

I rolled up a Barbarian on Cimmeria, it is a designated Roleplay-PVP server. I play a psycho killer... not really. I only kill people that attack me first or "hard target" me. (As you move around, people in front of you become your automatic "soft target", but if you click on them you lock them as a hard target, enabling "targets target" you can see if they target you or not. If someone targets me as they are coming at me, thats ok but if I am still targeted once I pass them, then they have bad intentions... I instantly stealth, backtrack and plant my 2handed sword up thier ass.

Anyway, I am level 21 now, been taking my time, milking the quests. Basically the flow of the game is as such on a PvP server:

Night Time mode:
No PvP - Solo play only

Daytime mode:
Tortage City: No PvP
Tortage Underhalls: PvP
Whitesand Isles: PvP
Tortage Outdoors: No PvP
Archeon Ruins: No PvP

Your quests get broken down into certain areas in your journal. You can probably avoid going to Whitesand Isles till you are in the upper teens (I reccomend this), because if you go in lower level, you will be ganked pretty bad. I went in at level 18 and was higher than most others, so I didnt get attacked much. You just have to keep an eye out for groups, as they tend to just kill everything in their way, players, NPCs... etc.

I will tell you that this game is the most graphically amazing thing I have played in years. I just built a new PC:

Intel Core2 E8400
Nvidia 780i MB
4GB DDR2 1200MHZ
2x Nvidia 8800GTS (G92) 512MB (1GB Video Total) SLI
Western Digital Raptor 150GB HDD
Windows Vista 64 Ultimate

I have every option possible maxxed and enabled, 16AF and 4AA at 1680x1050 widescreen resolution... I get around 40-60FPS in Tortage city and around 140FPS in less dense areas. Best money I have spent in years, thanks Government Stimulous!
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

About 1GB of downloads later, my AoC is up to date and ready to go. I thought the ~200mb download was going to get me up to speed but that rolled right in to another ~800mb download. Hard to believe they needed to patch/update around 5,000 files since releasing the pre-release version. Either they have a poor patching technique or there are some very busy people fixing files.

Plan on grabbing the game late AM or early afternoon tomorrow. Unless the stores have them in stock when they open. Fry's always seems to be late getting their shipments.

I just installed the new 9600GT. Looking forward to my first DX10 gaming experience.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I'm logging into the game now! :D
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Anyone on any of the PVE servers?
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

I'm such an asshole... I bought this today.

PVE is for pussies!
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Picked this up and began install at lunch today. Still really liking EQ2, but could not help but want to check out the hype! :D
en kærlighed småkager
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Canelek wrote:Picked this up and began install at lunch today. Still really liking EQ2, but could not help but want to check out the hype! :D
Same. I love EQ2, but I have to try everything new.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

I got my assassin to 35 despite all the server downtimes (i really wanted to get 40 before tuesday). So far, I'm having a blast leveling in the game, which is quite odd for me in most mmorpgs. The leveling up from 1-20 is great, I really like the solo night time lorefest, and having to do some daytime (multiplayer) quests during this time is good too.

Storyline/Lore -> much of it is connected to the meaningless quests you do

Combat System -> no autoattack? holy crap! the combos are cool, and actually take paying attention vs spamming buttons, but you still have to spam normal attacks if all your good combos are on cooldown

PVP -> killing someone trying to do the same quest as me, or in <Negro Amigos>, or with a terrible name (Gunnandulf, i've killed the poor bastard probably 20 times) is satisfying in a way I have not felt since EQ (i blame xanupox)

Map system -> makes it easy to get around

Dislikes:

UI: the hotbars look fine and can bind fine, but other than that, the UI is a horrible piece of shit. You actually have to click windows to select the channel you want to talk in (/guild doesn't make you talk in guild, instead you have to click 3 times). OOC (dumbass spam) turns itself on all the time randomly, despite my best efforts to stop it. Half the right click commands from the party window fail. The minimap doesn't seem to show your groupmates unless you are in a certain range, and even then they are a really small dots that can be next to impossible to find. You can click groupmates in the party window, which will hopefully show a blue arrow in the direction that person is, but it fails after a certain range, and randomly otherwise.

Amount of running for some quests: Holy hell give me my lvl 40 mount, thanks.

hiding/stealth: I like that it's more complicated than in previous mmorpgs, i.e. you have to stay near shadows, there is a light indicator, etc. However, the fact that when you're outside, and it's daylight, everything sees you, even if you come up from behind them is ridiculously stupid. As an assassin, this kills my soloing ability for multiple monsters.

Dungeons: there are none till around lvl 40 (sanctum of the inner stars). I have no idea what they are like, but i really hope they go the way of wow dungeons -> instance with bosses that drop loot in addition to quests that give loot. I wish there had been 1 or 2 on the way from 20-40, but I guess it went by so quick they figured it wouldn't be worth it.

Oh I forgot to add boobs to my like list, cause man there are a prodigious number of people running around female characters without shirts on (and some npcs).
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I'm playing on Thog. I enjoy the pve moreso than pvp. I just don't need the added stress of being killed by people just cause they can. I also get annoyed when trying to do a quest and getting killed during that when I don't need to be. Just my preference. Sadly, I am traveling for business in MPLS since Monday night and won't be home until late Wednesday. So I haven't been able to play to get past level 14 on my Guardian.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I cranked up a character on Zug (PvE) I may switch servers, dunno.

First character is Aquilonion Assassin!

I may not stay an assassin if what Aardor says about stealth/sneak is true.

Because it's what I do, here are some pics of the character creation screen and initial storyline. I crashed after that so haven't attacked anything yet. The game looks beautiful. I'm still working on video settings. I had it on medium. Not sure if that's too much or not for 1920x1080 with a 9600GT.

Pics (hidden to avoid spammy thread) I also sized them down to 900 width so the text is hard to make out.
[Show]

Glad I picked a ponytail. It flops around when I run and keeps me entertained.

As you can see, the character generation is pretty extensive. The models look nice. No clay hair, hands are well done, etc.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Graphics are a lot better than I expected them to be.

How would you guys rate the graphics when compared to some of the more recent MMOGs?

Thx!
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The graphics are fantastic IMO. I've been running on medium settings @ 1920x1080 with no problems.

Models are very nice. Boobies look good. The adult nature of the game is apparent elsewhere as I saw some guy pissing off the pier...big yellow stream. They obviously want this game to be adult oriented. I fought topless for awhile because the first few pieces of armor gave no extra protection. That didn't last long though.

Below is the extent of the nudity in AoC. Not too bad *NWS*
[Show]
I moved over to Thog server and created a Dark Templar. So far I've enjoyed playing the class although it's early. It's a warrior class with life leeching type spells (Shadow Knight comes to mind).

This game is well worth picking up. Lots of fun and eye candy. You can do a lot playing solo. Lots of quests, cut scene dialog, etc.

The game is screaming for a game controller. Having to attack from three different sides along with special attacks and spells make things a little hectic. I'm going to break out my Saitek Game controller. It will make gameplay in AoC much easier.

I'm impressed with the overall presentation of the game. The first city is great looking. It has a very unique feel to it. As Bubba mentioned, being able to jump around makes for more interesting travel options. I fell into the water trying to get a picture of the guy taking a piss to post here and had to swim around to find a ladder out. The swimming motions are well done as are all the animations.

I'm glad I picked PvE. PvP would be a pain in the ass considering how much fighting you already do in the game. I kept my name Winnow for my Dark Templar.

Edit: BTW, the launch went really smooth for me. No troubles registering or logging on. No lag, etc. Nice job.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

My first character was on a PVP server. I didn't realize it until level 8 on some island after getting ganked, and then killed repeatedly at the spawn point. I really didn't feel like paying $15 a month for that shit.

I am Leviticus (16 Stygian necro) on a PVE server, Ajujo. I look like Osama Bin Laden. This game is a lot of fun. I've never launched an MMO before, so I have no basis for comparison, but I have been playing since around 9 AM. It is almost 10:30pm, and the only problem I've had was due to my PC shutting down while playing the game on high settings. I've been on medium settings for the majority of the time with no interruptions.

I've yet to see any titties, and none of the women want to have sex with me.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Spang wrote:I've yet to see any titties, and none of the women want to have sex with me.
I am TEASING, but only because your setup was about as good as it could possibly get. It's the equivalent of a teeball stand in the world series with the bases loaded. This actually hurts me because as I've mentioned I've really been enjoying your posts of late:

So it's like your RL but now you're paying $15 per month? :P
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

oh jesus christ we all know you want to play tummy sticks with him noel its ok to come clean

P.S. I kind of want to try this but my computer probably can't hack it.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

noel wrote:I am TEASING, but only because your setup was about as good as it could possibly get. It's the equivalent of a teeball stand in the world series with the bases loaded. This actually hurts me because as I've mentioned I've really been enjoying your posts of late:

So it's like your RL but now you're paying $15 per month? :P
It was a joke. The laughter was optional.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

WTF are tummy sticks?

I hope to get home from my trip early tonight so I can get on for a bit. I may start over because I am not overly like the look of my character. We'll see. I really like playing the guardian and after reading up on it a bit from the boards there is much much more for me to learn.

This game has a similar concept to WoW's talent tree.
http://feats.goonheim.com/guardian
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dark Templars are late bloomers. Their Feat trees are hard to figure out. It's a great class but the kiddies won't take the time to figure that out so it's also one of the less played classes.

Here's a good post giving you an idea of how the Dark Templar is played. Some of it won't make sense without knowing the game. It's full of grammar mistakes but you'll live:
First off let me say what my feat build is so you can see the method to my madness.

5 Blighted Touch
5 Blighted Soul
2 Consuming Bulwark
5 Devouring Touch
Current investing points in Vigor Leech.

Now the first and formost thing I need to stress is this.
Life Leech's and Drains are skills that shine in multi mob battles. You can Leech Life from as many mobs as you can hit with. Same with Drain. Now add on Covenant of Pestilence and Aura of infusion and you are a drainin mofo.

A DT is about stacking a whole bunch of little dmg/heals into a significant amount.

D.O.T 's
Blighted Touch
Blighted Soul
Covenant of Pestilence
Consuming Bulwark
Drain Soul

All those moves are doing damage by you just STANDING there. Now you stack on Leech Life and A Soul for our Feast. And you are doing good dmg by just existing.

H.O.T 's
Lifetap
Drain Life
Aura of Infusion
Consuming Bulwark

Once agian add in Leech and Feast and your getting healed for doin nothing.

THAT is the power of the DT, stacking yoru buffs and feats properly. I think that as a MINIMUM you should get Curse of Gwahlur and Consuming Bulwark before you go deep into whatever tree catches your eye. Make sure yoru always buffed for a battle. And DON'T be ashamed to go into Defensive Stance. I know OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of poeple feel like there nerfin there damage in it, but its amazing how much it can increase your survivablity against multi mobs and bosses. Especially with consuming bulwark added in its almost like free heals. Less dmg+heals=win

Now as far as fighting this is a general strategy I like.

At the start of a fight I ALWAYS start off with Leech Life. Because usually a mob always has has there shields evenly distributed at the start of a fight. Form there I hit Blood for Aid to make them vulnerable. Then you see where the shields are at.

Where there is no shield you hit with a combo. If there is a shield pepper the mob with attacks on the OPPOSITE side of where you best combo's are. That being Enraging Strikes mainly.

If your fighting a lot of mobs start off with a leech life and then soul for our feast.

Those two moves will keep your life up very VERY well.

Every little bit helps, you have to look at the sum of a Dark Templar and not each indivual part.

When the servers come back up I'll post my combat log so you can see how powerful the dots and hots really are when you stack them.

Keep the faith DT's!

-----

Attack directions:

Charge: 1 attack
Blood for Aid: 2 attacks on UR
Brutal Enraging Wound I: 6 attacks on MID
Soul for our Feat II: 3 attacks on UR
Enraging Strike III: 3 attacks on UR
Brutal Enraging Strike III: 3 attacks on UL
Leech Life II: 2 on MID
Slam: 3 Attacks on ?
After spending a few hours on the AoC forums, it's clear that there are several ways to play a Dark Templar. No one has got a grip on it yet. There's no set strategy which makes it fun. You won't get enough Feat Points to max out everything even at level 80 so you do need to plan out your Feat Tree strategy.

I'm almost to level 15. Things don't get going for DT's until ~level 20 but I'm having fun.

Here's the pissing pirate:
[Show]
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Rolled on Mannanan as Ashur (Cimmerian Barbarian... yeah, I know) and was watching the intro movie when my daughter walked in just as some guy's arm was getting hacked off, so I had to turn off the monitor since you can't skip this stuff and I missed all the into stuff. I just know I'm on a beach and this is unsatisfying to me as I left for some evening plans (D&D!).

I got back home after midnight and rolled another character on Mannanan, a Hyborian Priest of Mitra named Ashimar and watched the intro and got to like level 6 or 7 having done a lot of the major quest line, but not a lot of ancillary stuff. The Smite ability/spell allowed me to take out folks level 1-3 at a distance in one shot most times and would kill jungle apes with 3 shots. I'm not so much digging the light armor and shield thing, but hey, it's a priest!

On performance, my entry-level DX10 card seriously sucked framerate wise at the default settings at 1680x1050 and I had to drop it to medium settings and lower the resolution to get it really playable. It was a very noticeable difference in the quality of the game, so I would NOT recommend this game if you have a shitty video card. I will try to get it back into a higher resolution by screwing with other settings, as the UI components were too big for my taste.

P.S. I didn't get a mammoth, a rhino, a horse, or a broken down rickshaw. I suck.
- Ash
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

What are the penalties for getting ganked on pvp?

As someone said earlier in the thread, it sounded kind of like UO circa 1997. The only thing I didn't like about pvp there was that each time you were killed, someone could steal ALL of your stuff and you lost like 10% of your stats.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Sylvus wrote:What are the penalties for getting ganked on pvp?

As someone said earlier in the thread, it sounded kind of like UO circa 1997. The only thing I didn't like about pvp there was that each time you were killed, someone could steal ALL of your stuff and you lost like 10% of your stats.
None. You do however respawn with barely any health, so people can 1 shot you where you res, which is pretty stupid.

Actually, death in the game barely has any effect at all. The worst case situation is that you did not find the closest res pad, so you res very far away from your currently location. Otherwise, you get -2 to concentration and attack for each death (up to 3). This seems to not have any realy effect, considering my attack is in the 150's. Oh, and you get rid of the effect by going to where you died and clicking your tombstone, or waiting 30 minutes.
Last edited by Aardor on May 21, 2008, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

From what I've seen, death only causes temporary stat loss.. no permanent effects and no item loss.

I rolled a Dark Templar last night on Cimmawhatever. I was only able to play for under 2 hours and got to level 9. So far I love the combat system.

The apple keyboard is pretty, but it's terrible for gaming. I need to swap back to my old keyboard or dig up the n52 speedpad. I'm also going to add my second video card and see if SLI helps the frame-rates. I'm running at 1920x1200 on LOW at the moment and it's playable.
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Bubba Grizz wrote:This game has a similar concept to WoW's talent tree.
http://feats.goonheim.com/guardian
Heh, "Similar"? More like exactely the same.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Fash wrote:From what I've seen, death only causes temporary stat loss.. no permanent effects and no item loss.

I rolled a Dark Templar last night on Cimmawhatever. I was only able to play for under 2 hours and got to level 9. So far I love the combat system.

The apple keyboard is pretty, but it's terrible for gaming. I need to swap back to my old keyboard or dig up the n52 speedpad. I'm also going to add my second video card and see if SLI helps the frame-rates. I'm running at 1920x1200 on LOW at the moment and it's playable.
Let me know how SLI works, I'm currently trying to find how much AoC takes advantage of it.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I will probably end up on Doomsayer-PvP with RL and WoW friends. Whether or not I stay there will depend on what kind of time commitment I can make to the game, since I am still playing EQ2 as well :p
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Rolled a Stygian Ass on Dagoth(PVE), since my friend called me and told me she was just starting there as well. I only got to the city part then was tired and went to bed.

Basically that was the best intro movie ever! :D :D :D :D

No idea how to do some simple shit, but the mechanics are basically the same as everything else. Not sure how to work "combos" yet, but there was no challenge through beginning part so it was all buttonmashing murder. (off with zie heads!)

As far as performance, it was smooth sailing at AA x 2, "high" gfx settings and 1920x1200 reso and DX10. Will tweak settings to see how much I can squeeze out. Am afraid to crank up anti-alias setting as Crysis brought my box to its knees at AA x 8. :D
en kærlighed småkager
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Broke out my Saitek Game thingy for AoC. So far it works great.

Set up this way so far:

Spells and Combos on keys 1-4, 17
Little Thumb stick is my direction attacks (1 = joystick left, 2 = joystick up, 3 = joystick right)
15 = target (~) key
Inventory, Profile, Feats = 12, 13, 14
Jump = 21

Backup dirctional attacks = 18, 19, 20 (if I don't want to use joystick)
Movement (WASD) = 6, 9, 10, 11
Put weapon away (\) = 16

5, 7 and 8 keys are open atm until I figure out what I used the most.

Pretty nice. The thumb joystick is working well for attacks. Since I use combos almost exclusively, I hit 1-4, 17 and then the direction on the joystick required for the combo. Need to use it for awhile. If I don't like it, I'll change movement to the joystick and use the 18-20 for the directional attacks.

This setup leaves my mouse open to position/face my character to hit the most people (turn off Autofacing in your AoC options)

------

Edit: BWT, Saitek's sofware is horrible. I bought Pinnacle Game Profiler back when I played Rappelz. It's awesome.

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

I may use Macros for the combos which would hit the attack directions for me automatically. I haven't tried it yet to see how well it would work. That would help cut down on clicking. There are casting delays for some things so I'd have to get the macro timings right (easy enough using Pinnacle)

-----

edit:

After playing around some, I decided to use the joystick the movement

keys 9, 10, 11 = directional attacks
keys 5-8, 1-3 = combo/spells 4-10
12 = jump
13 = sprint
14 = assist
15 = Hot Bar 1
16 = Hot Bar 2
17, 18, 19 = Inventory, Profile, Feats
20 = esc
21 = weapon sheath/unsheath
4 = target

Joystick was fine for the attacks but I found it even better for movement.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Greetings!

You have been a long and thrustworthy participant in our community, and as such we would like to thank you for helping us form Age of Conan into the marvelous product it is today. The last weeks has seen some serious enhancment to the game, and with the release we will be opening several new areas and neverbefore seen content in the launch version of the game. What and where it is? You have to find out for yourself!

As a sign of gratitude for your aid, we are pleased to offer you the in-game item used by those loyal to King Conan: The Drinking Cape. This item will allow your characters (one game account only) to free of charge demand the very sought after alcholic drink of "Ambrosia" - free and in unlimited supplies for life! After having claimed your cape, merely find one of the kegs in the finer Inns of Hyboria and click it whilst wearing your cape to receive your drink.

To register your cape, log in to your account page by https://register.ageofconan.com clicking here and under the option "Use a Key" - enter this key:

Once this has been done, use the command "/claim" inside the game to claim your in-game items. These items work for all the characters you create on your account. Note that all in-game items are only available on full accounts, and do not work on pre-order, buddy or (later) trial accounts.

Note that this item will not be made available again at later dates - so wear it with pride!

Regards,
Funcom
I don't plan on playing this game, so if anyone wants the key for this alcoholic's cape, feel free to PM me. Please only PM if you don't already one.
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Grats Midnyte on the Cape.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

woohoo, ty sir
Xanupox
Almost 1337
Almost 1337
PSN ID: TheRealScarr

Post by Xanupox »

I am "Scar" on Cimmeria, the RP-PVP server. LvL 23 and murdering everyone in the Underhalls nonstop. 175 kills 9 deaths. GANKSTER!
I probably gave you virtual items once upon a time...
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Such a manly man you are! Can I feel your muscles?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Whew, made it to level 19 so I can start the final mission/quest to get out of Tortage.

After level 15, Dark Templars are fun to play. Load up on the leeching and AoE and watch the mobs drop. Dark Templars shine fighting a bunch of mobs a level or two below them. Key is not to panic. Just keep throwing up the DoTs, Leeches and position yourself to hit as many mobs as you can. The class has a Tank/Necro feel to it as you can wear heavy armor, use edged and blunt weapons so you do decent melee damage without taking a beating and then on top of that you have a seriously powerful combination of abilities/spells that suck the life out of your opponents and give it to yourself.

Having a great time.

I went with a shaman type look for now but that won't last long as the helmet isn't that great.
[Show]

Awww, that's just wrong!

You can actively move your shields while in melee but that's way to much work for me and I don't know how much good that would do unless you know someone always hit on a certain side.
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

Something people might not realize is that you get certain (possibly class specific) buffs when double tapping a direction a direction (w,a,s,d) during combat. So if I double tap forward (w), I get a buff called momentum which gives me a 70% chance to stun a target for 0.5 seconds. Double tap left or right (a, d) gives you a buff that increases chance to avoid spells by 0.1%, and double tap backwards (s) gives you a buff which increases your avoidance by 50% but decreases your chance to hit by 50%.

I did not realize this was in the game till I got to level 30, but since then the avoidance buff has saved my life quite a few times. If I feel like I am losing the fight, I double tap back, dodge while making normal attacks, and set up my combo so it goes off right as the buff wears off.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I am fairly certain that the buff is the same no matter what class you are playing. It is available from level 1, and I only knew about it after watching some pvp video on youtube during beta.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

So far I've leveled a dead sexy Stygian Minion of Whatever (the ones that wear cloth armor and can use two-handed swords and breathe fire and turn into a demon) named Dejah up to level 6-7. As cloth armor is pointless at level 5 I had her run around completely naked until I started getting some that looks like it may matter. I also have my Aquilonian Priest of Mitra named Ashimar and my yet unstarted Cimmerian Barbarian named Ashur all on Manananananananon.

I rolled a Cimmerian Bear Shaman named Ashimar on Set to play with some EQ2 folks I know, but the shard died right after I created the character and it took me 10 minutes to get into any of my characters after that.

Thanks to Threnody's advice on water/shadows/caching I got the game totally playable at my default resolution and I no longer feel like I'm playing in a closet. The chat is full of idiots though... I ignore it as is, so there better be a way to filter that shit out so I can see guildchat (chat is all white...).
- Ash
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Worst fucking thing about this game is the massive number of WOW fuckheads/rejects playing it.

The fucking numb-nuts who have obviously never played another MMO... who compare everything to WOW... who constantly talk about WOW in the OOC channel...

I really hope they don't turn this game into WOW 2.0
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

There are two groups in almost any game now:

1) People that compare things to WoW
2) People that bash people that played WoW

Both groups are annoying fuckstains.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

I just hate having to turn off the OOC channels. :?
Would be awesome if you could just autofilter any reference to WOW.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aardor »

miir wrote:I just hate having to turn off the OOC channels. :?
Would be awesome if you could just autofilter any reference to WOW.
I just wish the OOC channel would STAY off.

Haven't tried either of these out, but saw these links on gameriot for a different UI:

http://www.werik.com/download

http://ledmirage.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3777