DIY Audio Installation

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

DIY Audio Installation

Post by Moonwynd »

Ok...I am a pretty handy guy. I can build just about anything carpentry wise...and I can do residential electric without any hassle. And I am an IT geek by trade...so I am used to cabling and such. But I feel so damn intimidated at the thought of installing a new audio system in my vehicle.

I have all of the hardware.

1. New Clarion head unit (non powered...needs amp)
2. Speakers - Pair 6 1/2 Infinity Perfects (Front)
3. Speakers - Pair 6 1/2 Infinity Perfects (Rear)
4. Rockford Fosgate 400.4 Punch Amp
5. Dual JL 10 subwoofers in a ported enclosure which I mounted the amp onto.

The issue...I have nfc how to hook this all up and get it done correctly. It stems from not having any of the cables I need or really knowing the best configuration.

I have no trouble running wires or cables...or installing the head unit in its physical location....I am good with the physical installation...just not sure where the hookups go.

Do you think it would be better to get the speakers and such installed then go to a professional to have the cabling done? Or am I making this entire thing too complicated in my head?

Thanks for the advice and input.

Regards,

Moon
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

You are making this too complicated. I installed a complete system in my car myself after only ever having done one other car installation 10 years ago. I installed Alpine head unit, component fronts, 6x9 rear, 2 subs and 2 amps and it really was not all that difficult. The key is: Take your time.

A few things to keep in mind:
- Do you have the wiring harness for the head unit that fits your car? If so, that makes it very simple to install the head unit.

- Pulling new speaker wires to the doors can be a pain and honestly I would argue that for an average system it is not worth it. It WILL be better to pull new wires but I cursed up a storm while doing mine. Not difficult, just a total pain in the ass. You can always splice in the speaker wires you pull from the amp into the factory speaker wires as well.

- Crutchfield.com has a lot of info for DIY installations includingwiring diagrams etc.

- What ever you do, do NOT take it to Best Buy, Circuit City etc and have them do the installation. Expensive and extremely crappy work. I know of two cars that have been totalled because they pulled power cables from the battery over very hot areas and it caused engine fires. IF you get somebody to do the install look over every single wire they pull.

- If you have a factory style system it should be cake to install this. I would just use the factory wires for the 6 1/2s, pull power from the battery to the amp (make sure to get a good power cable), the remote turn-on cable from the head unit to the amp, the signal cables from head unit to amp, connect the sub wires from the amp (make sure to connect these correctly, read up on Crutchfield) and then pull the speaker wires and splice them.

I am FAR from an expert but I did read up quite a bit a year ago so let me know if I can help with anything.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Thanks Kelshara. That actually helps me a lot.

I already knew not to take it to BestBuy or Circuit City. They hosed a friend's install by not connecting her rear defrost back up. When I removed the new faceplate to connect the wire...I found they had completely cut it off...(BestBuy)

I am going to hit Crutchfield. Thanks again!

Regards,

Moon
Demags
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Demags »

Im no car audio expert, I've installed a few simple units into some of my cars over the years, but is it a good idea to mount the amp onto the sub box? I would think the added vibration would shorten the life of the amp considerably, but thats just speculation on my part.

Demags
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

I've read OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS of arguments back and forth on that one. I personally probably would not do it, but if you look at a lot of show cars tons of them do it. Probably depends a bit on the box design as well and how much it vibrates. And of course how you play music as well.
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

Well, I drive an '03 Nissan Xterra. I do use it quite a bit to haul things (fold down the seats). The only options for me are to mount it to the back of one of the rear seats or to the floor of the cargo area itself (no room under seats).

So I saw a few installations where it was mounted to the Sub box. The box is pretty darn heavy and it doesn't move around (I put Velcro along the bottom to keep it from shifting at all). I do not think it will experience any different wear and tear than it would if it were mounted in another location.

This weekend I am going to pick up the cables I need and give it a go. Hopefully it will work out without too much cursing and throwing of tools! :P
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I'm not saying that you would miss this, but make sure to ground things well. When I did installs, the ground is one reason I would not mount anything on a box. It had nothing to do with the amp's "stability" when measuring lifespan. It had to do with all of the energy running through it, and the signals coming out!
Moonwynd
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Moonwynd »

I did the installation this last weekend. Took me all damn day!

Here are some things I have learned:

1. Feeding wire through grommets is a pain in arse - I fed the 4 gauge power cable for the amp through a grommet on the firewall (passenger side). I fed the speaker wires for the front doors through the grommet on the door and then the grommet on the body near the A pillar. There is zero working room...not even enough for fingers. It was super speshul fun when my 2 year old daughter thought it would be fun to close the door when daddy's fingers were in there

2. There are a variety of tools needed - I had all of the tools...thankfully. But there were Torx head screws, Hex head screws, Allen head screws (three different sizes on the damn amp), Phillips head screws. I should have had an assistant to hand me tools upon request like a surgeon in the operating room.

3. Vehicle interiors are easily disassembled...but a pain in the ass to reassemble - I ran the wires and cables under the carpeting of my Xterra. It was pretty easy to run since there is a channel there for wiring. But the crappy barbed pins they use to hold body panels and such in place are easily destroyed...even when you are being almost anal in removing them.

4. A rookie mistake will cause you to lose 3 hours of time to troubleshoot - The entire thing was assembled. I connected the fuse at the battery...started her up...head unit turns on...no sound at all. The speakers run off the amp. WTF did I do??? Turns out you not only need the ultra thick Amp power cable...you also need to have the remote turn on wire connected to your amp and NOT your wiring harness.

5. Another rookie mistake will cause you to curse like Swearengen - Ok, I get the remote on wire connected. Voila...I have glorious sound! It sounds amazing as a matter of fact...far better than the stock junk that was in there. So I go and tune the amp...the sound is amazing...the bass quality is incredible and the highs and mids are super crisp.

This is just about where the cursing starts

I actually start the car (It was just in accessory mode with no engine running until now). WTF???? What is that godawful buzzing sound???? OMG...it gets worse with the accelerator depressed!!!! The only thing I can deduce is noise interference from the alternator.

I get online and look at Crutchfield (thanks again, Kelshara!). You guessed it...I ran that massive 4 gauge Amp power cable from the battery to the amp in the back of the Xterra...and I ran it right along side all of the other cables (RCA and speaker).

I have never cursed an inanimate object so much (my daughter was inside with "mommy" because it was dark out by this time). I can only assume the neighbors found it interesting to hear me yelling, "SAN FRANCISCO COCK SUCKER" at my vehicle.

An hour and half later I had the RCA and speaker cables re-routed on the other side of the car. The buzzing sound is gone!

The great thing about this entire process was that I learned a lot. Overall it was fun to be able to do this project myself. Now that I have this one under my belt, I am going to do it for my wife as well. Things should go much easier now that I have this experience. :D
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Boogahz wrote:I'm not saying that you would miss this, but make sure to ground things well. When I did installs, the ground is one reason I would not mount anything on a box. It had nothing to do with the amp's "stability" when measuring lifespan. It had to do with all of the energy running through it, and the signals coming out!

haha, I guess I should have added that warning to this as well. Where you run your wires can cause hell later due to alternator interference. I know of several friends that didn't want to pay to have their systems set up right that just "lived with" that damn noise. It's awful!
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Goddamn.. I should have mentioned the power cable vs speaker wires.. crap sorry :( That slipped my mind.

I actually have to error check my system now.. had to jump start the car and I got a whining noise. It almost sounds like a bad ground but it wasn't there before I jumped it so am a bit unsure. Oh well will have to wait until I return in the fall.

Congrats on your first install, it is by far the most difficult one! I spent a lot more time than you but I also sound dampened the entire car heh. I actually quite enjoyed doing it myself!