New toys

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

New toys

Post by Sendarie »

Got some new toys for those that I have chatted with about my car.

Here is the usual pre-install floor shot after unpacking:
List:
Stillen side mount intercoolers
Stillen intercooler ducts (not shown)
All 4 corner Brembo rotors (no drilled/slotted crap)
Teflon brake lines (all 4)
300 Degree master cylinder brace
SPL Tension rods
SPL Tension rod brake air guides
Hawk HPS brake pads
Full brake shim kit from Courtesy Nissan

Everything is installed now except the brakes. I just got her out of the body shop yesterday so the brakes are going on this weekend.

Also SMIC before/after shots:
Before:

After:
Sendarie
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

What year is that? 92?

Also are you or have upgraded the turbos and the ecu? Or just adding on the plug and play toys? I love Zs. I even helped convinced my old roommate Xouqoa to get one! He got um a 1996 non turbo with like 31k miles on it.EVen tried to get my mother to get a new 350z, but she decided on a 2005 S2000 heh.

I use to have a 88 SS turbo. I loved it up till the day it had to go bye bye. When I finally have money to throw away, Ill get a 94 or 96 TT t Tops or convetable and just lay down the money and upgrade it to hell.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

More pix plx
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Those little baby radiators are cute!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Wasnt expecting that good of a response.

Well here is the story: I started out with a 1990TT 2+2 white when I lived in Japan. Fell in the love with the car and spent several years learning about it and building it. Here is the first one I built.
Thats after YEARS of body and engine work.

I'm 100% all about going fast and looking stock. I have MUCH hate for spoilers/neons and other rice shit.

After that I moved to the US having sold my Z in Japan and began the hunt for on here. After 7 months of waiting I found mine in Niagara Falls the exact one I wanted. A 96 Twin Turbo with zero mods and only 50k miles on it.
Here she is the day I brought her home:

Then started the work. She was an automatic bone stock Z. First thing to go was the transmission. Replaced that with a 5-speed. The rest of the mods I'll list in normal list fasion to make it easier to read.

JWT ECU
Nismo 740cc injectors
Z1 Stage II turbos
Stillen Side mount intercoolers
SPL Tension rods
Unorthodox U/R pulley
Full top end rebuild + 60k maint (water pump, timing belt, and EVERY hose/fuel line replaced along with PCV, EGR....etc etc)
5-speed built transmission
95NA diff
All Redline fluids (drivetrain)
HKS SSQV X2 BoV
Stillen Intake
Z1 stainless downpipes
Z1 stainless testpipes
Greddy EVO Catback
RPS Aluminum flywheel
RPS 6 puck clutch
Z1 short shifter
APEXI AVCR Boost controller
Greddy 52mm boost gauge
Z1 aluminum lower radiator pipe
Greddy 52mm EGT X 2 (tapped into manifolds like they are supposed to be)
Stillen upper control arms
NGK Cold plugs
Noltec Urethane motor mounts
Teflon brake lines
Greddy full auto turbo timer
Z1 one piece drive shaft
AMZ Hard pipes
and a metric fuckton of replacement parts to make sure she is in 100% operating order
Last edited by Sendarie on December 6, 2005, 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sendarie
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Raistin wrote:EVen tried to get my mother to get a new 350z, but she decided on a 2005 S2000 heh.
Good choice for your mom. The 350Z has some serious manufactured problems especially if you ever try to make real upgrades. As a matter of fact here is what happens when you put that $6-7k Greddy TT kit on it
Now if you wanted to keep it bone stock or just light mods then a 350 is a fine car.
I suck at taking pictures after 14-15 Coke's and 24 straight hours of work sorry for the fuzz.
Whats wrong with this picture?
Raistin wrote: I Ill get a 94 or 96 TT t Tops or convetable and just lay down the money and upgrade it to hell.
Just FYI if you want a TT you only have the choice of T-tops. The only hardtop or convertable TT's are ones that are hand built.

Got some more pictures if you guys want to see them.

Here she is gutted:
Sendarie
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

BTW I have some dyno time scheduled for Monday 12 Dec so I'll scan that in once done.
Sendarie
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

If I recall correctly, Nissan had made like 300 convertables for the last productions in the US. I could be wrong. But I like how they look.

All that chewed up metal looks tasty! I know the 350z is still on the downlow for the upgrades. Then again a 1hr battery removal should give some people a tip on how much a pain in the ass it is to upgrade it, ande since I dont have a 350z and cant affored one anytime soon I havent really looked in to too much about upgrades for it.
Personally, I wouldnt get a 350z to add turbo to it. I like it for its bone stock power and looks. IMO that and the prototype new Skylines are 2 of the 3 cars I would love to have.

For my playtoys Ill get a 88 SS 300zx and the 90s+300zx TT.I had a ton of time to work on my 1988 one, although its hard to find the rare SS ones Im sure a normal turbo one is pretty much the same.

I like what youve done. If I remember correctly, you also asked about getting a 300zx on the same post Xouqoa made about his car. I think as long as a person knows somewhat about cars, and dont jump in to the deep stuff right away, Nissans are great cars. Itll help you learn and they can be a beast of power and looks when you are done :)
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Yeah they did make several hundred slicktop and convertables however none of them were available as Twin Turbo models. All slicktop/ragtops are NA.
You can however get them converted to TT through http://www.z1-motorsports.com

Thats where my car is (Atlanta GA) when you see the engine out of it.

The 350 could possibly be a decent car to mod it just will never have anywhere near the potential of the 300ZX or the Supra b/c of the block. Even though its a 3.5 liter that all aluminum block compared to the cast iron of the Z and Supra is no comparison.

What caused that blow up on the 350 we took apart in that picture was about 10psi of boost with the TT kit. Problem is the heads on the 350, for some reason Nissan never cleaned out the flashing from the moulding in the oil galleys.
You think removing the battery is bad on the 350.
.....the water pump is freaking internal for godsake. Brilliant designing.

The new GTR will be nice but in no way affordable. Last ballpark rumor I heard was $100k range.
Sendarie
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

One more pic.

This is with the exhaust and current mods. Very important to me is keeping the car looking stock/non-riced but the exhaust couldnt be helped. With 500ish horsepower larger exhaust was a neccesity. I picked the most non invasive exhaust I could find. The Greddy Evo2 has the opening offset to the botton of the canister so most of it is tucked up underneath the car so all you can see from the rear is the opening and no big honda like fart cans.

Sendarie
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Nice lookin car. You should try to find some stock rims to put on it, they look a lot better than the ones that are on there now imo.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

I agree Xou. Those are the wheels that were on it when I bought it and personally I hate them.

However I still have quite a ways to go before I'm getting eye candy parts. I need a full cooling setup, Howe aluminum radiator, elec fans, Z1 oil cooler and a good coilover setup probably HKS or Tein+EDFC before I can go for wheels.

Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to do stock wheels b/c they just arent wide enough to put proper meat on them, as it sits now at 1.2bar (18ish psi) I can do rolling burnouts from about 60mph which is no good for me.

I havent decided on which ones I'll pick up but they damned sure wont be blingy. Something mild and tasteful as best as I can find. Need something at least 9-9.5in wide in the rear.

edit: Poorly worded. Not rolling burnouts rather, easily brake traction at 60mph, which is NOT a good feeling.
Sendarie
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Yeah was going to say, get different wheels :) Love the car other than that though!

How do you like the RPS 6 puck clutch for normal driving? Seen some people who love it and some who don't like it for everyday use.

Is it common to go with SMIC instead of FMIC on Z's? There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room for a FMIC on them (but that is what a majority of 3/S owners do).

How nasty is engine work on the Z? Rumor has it you'll have to pull the engine to do a lot of it?

500+ HP and RWD should be fun! Still think I am aiming more towards a 3/S TT but a Z would be very tempting as well... Oh and Ray Pampena's VR4 is now up to around 900 HP heh.. last time at the track he got a decent 10 sec run with a fully loaded car (back seats, spare tire, HEAVY carshow chrome tires etc) while spinning the entire 1/4 mile.. that car is just plain sick :) And it is his daily driver!
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

I do like the RPS 6 puck. For daily driving I miss my RPS Sport Street but hte 6 puck was a neccesary evil for the numbers I'm putting down.

As for SMIC vs FMIC on Z32, its a big debate. Basically the SMIC's are the #1 choice for 600hp or less applications b/c they flow/cool enough air without significant pressure drop and do not block the flow to the oil cooler and radiator.
FMICS are mainly used for either eye candy or applications over 600hp. The entire cooling system needs some major overhauling to keep your temps from skyrocketing with a FMIC though under heavy loads.
My goal for the end project is 600hp so thats how I'm building mine.

How is it to work on? Well want to remove the turbos? Pull the engine. EGR go bad? Pull the engine. Everything is a cast iron whore to work on in this car except the suspension/brakes which are thankfully very easy to deal with.
Sendarie