Trade in values

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Trade in values

Post by Aabidano »

My truck that I'm looking to trade needs some maintenance, tires, front brakes, etc..

How does it balance out against trade in value? I'm looking at about $500-$600 for tires, and $30-ish for the brakes.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

they will rape you for recon, it's how they build gross. Seriously tho bring in a kbb printout and a realistic estimate of recon and tell em the trade is a dealbreaker
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

its always better to sell yourself through autotrader.com if you can.

i sold my piece of shit toyota corolla last month for $1000 more than i would have gotten trading it in. which in the case of this piece of shit is 20% of the value.

trading a car in also will not get you a better deal on a car you buy.

you should always negotiate the car purchase as if it is a cash price purchase. they will screw you on the tradein if they let you believe you are getting a good deal on the sales price. or the financing. or any other piece.

negotiate all parts of the transaction seperately. the dealer wants to negotiate them together because they are experienced at manipulating the deal to recover more profit that way.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Never repair a car you are going to trade in, you won't get what you just put into the car back from the buyer (assuming its a dealer 90% of the time).

Let the dealer put pish posh parts on it to "fix" it for the next sucker on the lot.

Oh, and never mention the problems or possible repairs your trade in may need. Its not your responsibility to tell a dealer jack shit about the trade in. If he doesn't take the time to inspect (they never do, because they are more interested in getting you in one of their cars), then it is their own problem.

Trust me, if you bought a car off of them, it would be "your problem" when shit started breaking.

Heed the words of Voronwe's post. Watch out for the "4 corners" method or paper if they whip that out. Basicly, it breaks down the 4 different parts of a "deal" 1. New Price 2. Trade in 3. Financing 4. cash down. It is the standard method if manipulating the customer's "feeling" into thinking they got a "deal".

Basicly, get a price in your mind you want for your trade in, and the price you want for the new car...and get both. If they refuse, it means you need to leave and they will call you the next day to say "ok" :)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kluden wrote:get a price in your mind you want for your trade in, and the price you want for the new car...and get both.
I've always done that. Not that I'm a savvy shopper or great negotiator, I don't like arguing with people.

Bargaining at a market is one thing, and a lot of fun. Car dealers are a huge pain in the ass for the most part.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Yeah, the car dealers of the world are the best place to increase your negotiating skills. Those people are the absolute slime of the world, and are very slippery.

I just always say that to anyone that goes into a car dealership...my other recomendation is, never tell anyone the "deal" you got, because someone will make you feel like you left something on the table...even if they are talking out of their ass. Just make sure you do all you can do with the negotiations, and you personally, got the best deal you could...then regrets never pop up.
Sendarie
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Sendarie »

Kluden wrote:Never repair a car you are going to trade in, you won't get what you just put into the car back from the buyer (assuming its a dealer 90% of the time).
I have to disagree although my point of view is one of free/self labor replacing 2 front tires and brakes with OEM assuming the rotors have one good turn left in them you could get this all done for $100 or less.

Being able to say the tires/brakes are new are a good help. A dealership can do a 20 second walkaround and see bald tires and shot shoes or grooved rotors.
Sendarie