Hybrids

Cars, Autos, Horseless Carriage, Wheeled Buggy -- whatever you want to call them. Talk about them here!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Hybrids

Post by Aabidano »

Seems to be a common result from all I've heard of hybrids. Cool idea, but the efficiences aren't there yet.
David Champion tests cars for Consumer Reports. The government says the popular Prius gets 60 miles a gallon in the city and 51 on the highway. But in real-world driving, Champion, got less.

“We found very similar results on the highway,” said Champion, “But instead of 60 miles per gallon we only got 35 miles per gallon in the city. So it’s a huge difference.”
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8975473/

Doesn't matter to yuppy boy here though, reality isn't an issue for him:
It doesn’t matter to Scott Neal, who’s about to buy a hybrid SUV.

"I will have fun driving it," says Neal, “And I will be helping the ecology and keeping pollution down.”
Well no, not really.
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Modified Prius: 250 mpg.

But wait! That technology is years away! Not..
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

You can get 45+ regularly from a prius w/out really changing your driving habits unless those habits are to slam the pedal each and every chance you get. And I'm pretty sure that's about what the average was for all CR testers when all was said and done. That still kicks the stuffing out of most cars in the same class. Besides, the new prius is a pretty damn versatile vehicle due to it's design as well. I am really interested in hearing the new civic hybrid numbers in a couple of weeks as they improved their tech in that car.
“The Honda Accord hybrid gives you almost a second quicker zero to 60, but only gives you maybe 2 miles per gallon overall in terms of your fuel savings,” says Champion.
That's a pretty big deal too. It's really a turbo w/out forced induction, no lag, and no additional engine stress. In addition, the electric motor has it's entire torque available for the entire powerband so the 45-65 passing numbers are much much better.

Everyone always seems mandated to note that you won't be saving money because the initial cost of entry is still at a premium for a hybrid. That's such a silly thing to say when it comes to auto purchases as there are so many things that can charge a premium whether it's leather seats or larger wheels. In addition, early adopters always pay a premium, regardless of the product.

We would definitely be looking at a hybrid for a car choice, but there's just too much money tied up in a house/rapidly approaching daughter/etc.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Kelshara wrote:Modified Prius: 250 mpg.

But wait! That technology is years away! Not..
In those cases they're only moving the problem around. Better battery and motor\generator efficiencies are needed to make this viable. Long term enviromental consequences of large scale usage of our current battery technology aren't pretty either.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Well no, not really.
51/35 is vastly better than your typical 4 door sedan, no? My 4 door sedan gets about 28/23.
Voronwë
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Voronwë »

i'm trying to pretend the accord hybrid doesnt exist.

i have never bought a new car, and i'm not planning on doing it this go around either.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

The wait list around my area for any hybrid, especially the new lexus hybrid is 2+ years. That being said no car is worth waiting that long.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Funkmasterr wrote:The wait list around my area for any hybrid, especially the new lexus hybrid is 2+ years. That being said no car is worth waiting that long.

Accord Hybrids have been on a 1-2 week wait since release... and have currently loosened up... I have 5 on the lot.. 2 nav, 3 regular.

2 mpg increase on the accord is 10%, and 10% is significant on it's own, let alone with the 'green turbo' benifit
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Kelshara
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kelshara »

Pherr what do those go for? I will be in the market for a daily driver once I have the fun car all settled down :)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

The "clean" diesels they have in parts of Europe show much better numbers than hybrid gas solutions. Even my '82 gets 45\50, though it's not at all enviromentally friendly. Mainly due to the fuel available here.
Sueven wrote:51/35 is vastly better than your typical 4 door sedan, no? My 4 door sedan gets about 28/23.
True, but I'm wondering when you throw in manufacturing, disposal and things of that nature if the net impact is larger than just burning the gas.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Voronwë wrote:i'm trying to pretend the accord hybrid doesnt exist.

i have never bought a new car, and i'm not planning on doing it this go around either.
Thinking about it this time, purely because I have a chance to lease it and pay for it out of pre-tax income... At least here, once you're on a lease you can deduct all sorts of rubbish like fuel, service, etc which adds up.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

They list at 30,550 without navi, go drive one...discuss price and make sure it gets down to around 29500 (prolly where they will stop), then leave sayin ya gotta think about it. They will call you back within 24 hours if they are worth a shit... tell em you'll pay 28750 today (you better want an in stock car but then again it comes in all of 4 colors), with the trunk money (hidden dealer cash) this month that allows the dealership to make a profit (they will want to, it's still a in demand car), allows the salesman to get a "spin" (bonus tied to accord sales, one more accord puts me at 450 min bonus per car, up to 750) besides his around $200 commision. Also buying early in the day when nothing is going on and the dealership wants to start the day off right is always a good idea, plus you get in and out of finance before it gets busy, win win

Edit to add: The civic hybrid is a PZEV, it's battery packs are guarenteed in CA,CT,MA,ME and VT for 10yr/150k miles, 99.9% sure the prius is a PZEV too
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:They list at 30,550 without navi, go drive one...discuss price and make sure it gets down to around 29500 (prolly where they will stop), then leave sayin ya gotta think about it. They will call you back within 24 hours if they are worth a shit... tell em you'll pay 28750 today (you better want an in stock car but then again it comes in all of 4 colors), with the trunk money (hidden dealer cash) this month that allows the dealership to make a profit (they will want to, it's still a in demand car), allows the salesman to get a "spin" (bonus tied to accord sales, one more accord puts me at 450 min bonus per car, up to 750) besides his around $200 commision. Also buying early in the day when nothing is going on and the dealership wants to start the day off right is always a good idea, plus you get in and out of finance before it gets busy, win win
I negotiate my slurpee purchases at 7/11 in much the same way.