Request: Elk Recipes

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Request: Elk Recipes

Post by Canelek »

I have a bunch of ground elk as well as a couple backstraps and steaks. Anyone have any kickass elk recipes for me? :)

I already know what to do with some of the ground elk.... Dead Guy Chili. :D Other than that, I cannot think of anything.
en kærlighed småkager
Canoe
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Canoe »

OOOH, Elk is one of my favorites!

I tell you, one of the simplest things to do with the backstraps is to slice it thinly (1/4 inch at most) width, not lengthwise along the steak, throw a little (not a TON like some do) Montreal Steak seasoning on it, and lightly fry it in some butter / olive oil / canola oil or whatever your favorite frying ingredient is. If you cut them thin enough it's just 2-3 minutes on each side and they are done.

Backstraps are so damn tasty & tender as they are I wouldn't do anything with them where you would loose their flavor.

As far as steaks, I have a great stroganoff recipe at home (PM me to remind me to post it, i'm at work now), along with some good roast recipes etc (1 I do with Apple cider which is my favorite).

For the ground meat - nothing spectacular, but what I usually do with my ground venison / elk etc is either tacos, chili, or some sort of caserole (ala hamburger helper, but not the cheap crap, make it from scratch).

Elk / Venison don't have enough fat on them to make burger patties, or meatloaf or meatballs - it doesn't stick together. So if you want to do something along those lines you will have to either add a lot of breadcrumbs & egg batter to keep it sticking together, or mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with beef.

One thing I warn you on - DO NOT OVERCOOK (i.e. Medium - well to well-done). Do not cook them above medium no matter what you make with the straps and steaks, you'll be eating leather. It isn't like beef which has a lot of fat to keep the meat moist. Elk is one of the tastiest game meat there is - enjoy it - i'm jealous!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

Thanks bud!

I have not had elk in years, and got hooked up with a good amount yesterday. I love the stuff. :)
en kærlighed småkager
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Elk ---> Jerky ---> Pemmican (if you are brave)

Actually do some Medallions with a Marchand de Vin like my Tournedos of Beef...Just substitute Elk where you see beef...

Tournedos of Beef Marchand de Vin

4 (3-ounce) medallions of filet mignon
1/4 cup unseasoned flour
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup shallots, diced
1 tbsp garlic, minced
1/4 cup green onions, sliced
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Burgundy wine
3 cups beef consommé or 2 cups prepared brown gravy or sauce
salt and pepper to taste

In a heavy-bottom sauté pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Season medallions lightly with salt and pepper and dust in flour, shaking off all excess. Sauté in butter until golden brown on each side, but do not burn the butter.

Move the medallions over to one side of the skillet then add shallots, garlic, green onions and mushrooms. Sauté 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add red wine to deglaze pan and reduce to 1/4 cup.

Add beef consommé, bring to a rolling boil and reduce to approximately 1 cup, turning beef occasionally. Season sauce with salt and pepper.

Might wanna toss in some truffles as well or sub truffle oil for the butter...
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Canelek »

I just finished my first elk endeavor:

Elk Meatballs(Italian):

http://www.veeshanvault.org/forums/view ... hp?t=12664

Only change:

1.5 lb ground elk
.5 lb 20% fat ground beef

sub that for the regular 2lb of ground beef.

Good stuff! :D
en kærlighed småkager