ATTN: voRON(Mexico)wë

What do you think about the sports world?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: ATTN: voRON(Mexico)wë

Post by Boogahz »

SI has a more detailed story regarding the possible charges that Vick is thought to have been involved in, and other professional athlete's involvement in dog fighting. It is seven pages long, so I will not quote it all here:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/f ... ml?cnn=yes
Xyun
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Xyun »

If I go to a falcons game, will I get herpes?

-John Mullet Equatorial Guinea
I tell it like a true mackadelic.
Founder of Ixtlan - the SCUM of Veeshan.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

At this point, you might get a free pit bull!
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sabek

Post by Sabek »

noel wrote:At this point, you might get a free pit bull!
They really need to do a "Pit bull bobble-head" night.
Then on another game they can give a water bottle with a secret compartment to the first 2000 kids.
And finish it off with a night where they give big foam middle fingers to the fans.
Sabek
Just Sabek
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Sabek wrote:
Then on another game they can give a water bottle with a secret compartment to the first 2000 kids.
And finish it off with a night where they give big foam middle fingers to the fans.
LOL!

Didn't the Brewers do a free colon cancer screening not too long ago? I think we could improve on the above fan-night with a free herpes screening as a lead off. :lol:
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

noel wrote:
Sabek wrote:
LOL!

Didn't the Brewers do a free colon cancer screening not too long ago? I think we could improve on the above fan-night with a free herpes screening as a lead off. :lol:
Yeah I think they did a thing where you got a free colon screening and got 2 free tickets for doing it.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2940065

Vick got indicted. A week ago, I could swear there were articles about how he wasn't going to be indicted. What does this mean from a legal standpoint? And I wonder if this is going to cause a violation of the NFL player conduct rule.

Edit: I swear these details weren't in the first version of the article I read:

"If convicted on the Travel Act portion of the conspiracy charge, each defendant faces a statutory maximum of five years in prison, a $250,000 fine, and full restitution. If convicted on the animal fighting venture portion of the conspiracy charge, each defendant faces one year in prison, a $100,000 fine, or both. The indictment also includes a forfeiture allegation seeking recovery of any property constituting, or derived from, proceeds obtained directly or indirectly as a result of these offenses. "
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

From what I understand, Goodell doesn't have much discretion over players who aren't repeat offenders. I don't think Vick has a previous conduct violation (unless there's maybe a hidden substance violation?).

So, they'll probably have to wait until the legal process plays out. If he's not convicted, he probably can't be touched, because he won't have any violations. If he is convicted, then he'll probably be in jail for so long that any punishment would be irrelevant anyway.

I'm interested in what the Falcons do. Are they going to let this guy play with this hanging over his head? What does that say?

And doesn't it kind of seem like bullshit that Vick gets to play on for this, while Pac Man is done for a year despite also having no convictions?
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

Sueven wrote:From what I understand, Goodell doesn't have much discretion over players who aren't repeat offenders. I don't think Vick has a previous conduct violation (unless there's maybe a hidden substance violation?).

So, they'll probably have to wait until the legal process plays out. If he's not convicted, he probably can't be touched, because he won't have any violations. If he is convicted, then he'll probably be in jail for so long that any punishment would be irrelevant anyway.

I'm interested in what the Falcons do. Are they going to let this guy play with this hanging over his head? What does that say?

And doesn't it kind of seem like bullshit that Vick gets to play on for this, while Pac Man is done for a year despite also having no convictions?
Pacman also has like 10 or so arrests/run ins with the law since he made it to the league.
Sabek
Just Sabek
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Goodell won't do anything, it's Michael Vick and that guy brings crazy money into the NFL because he's such a superstar. Pacman is a totally different story, he's a db on a smaller-market team. If it weren't for his crazy shenannigans and runs-in with the law, most of the world would have never heard the name Pacman Jones.

Anyone know where to find the numbers on like jersey sales? My money says Vick is near the top of the list, and Pacman Jones isn't on the list. But I have been wrong before.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Vick is the worst "superstar" in the entire NFL. Too stupid to run a real west-coast offense, too frail to run an old-school triple-option :P
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Fameen
No Stars!

Post by Fameen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW0dhh_Aj6A

best line "So I threw him a bone, yeah, I underthrew him a bone..."
Fam
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Vick is done in the NFL, forever.

He deserves worse than will ever be done to him sadly but thankfully his playing days are done. Joey Harrington is probably rather pleased at the chance.
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

My prediction: Vick will hire a smart lawyer who will pull a Johnny Cochrane and make this case all about people trying pull down a successful black man. Vick will beat the rap, settle out of court on a wrongful prosecution (or whatever) suit, and that sandbagging asshole, Joey Stumblefoot Harrington won't see any quality time with yet another team because he doesn't fucking deserve it :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Stupid Sidekick of the Lambent Dorf
Petitioner to Club Bok Bok
Founding Member of the Barbarian Nation Movement
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Knarlz »

Wulfran wrote:My prediction: Vick will hire a smart lawyer who will pull a Johnny Cochrane and make this case all about people trying pull down a successful black man. Vick will beat the rap, settle out of court on a wrongful prosecution (or whatever) suit, and that sandbagging asshole, Joey Stumblefoot Harrington won't see any quality time with yet another team because he doesn't fucking deserve it :p

Vick will hire a smart lawyer who will soak Vick for millions, Vick will cop a plea bargan when it's obvious that he is going to do hard time for snorting puppys. Vick will lose all his endorcements (Nike and AE are worth oodles) The NFL will suspend Vick. Vick won't pay his lawyer and get sued and lose (but won't pay that either since he will be broke by then)

Joey Stumblefoot Harrington will go the the CFL and sign with Winnipeg.
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Sabek wrote:
Sueven wrote:From what I understand, Goodell doesn't have much discretion over players who aren't repeat offenders. I don't think Vick has a previous conduct violation (unless there's maybe a hidden substance violation?).

Pacman also has like 10 or so arrests/run ins with the law since he made it to the league.
He may have had more arrests and run ins with the law, but he and Vick have been convicted of the same # of things: 0. Yet Pacman is already suspended for the entire season.

Go Blue!
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Wrong-o, Blueboy:

October 2005- State of West Virginia filed a petition stating that Jones had not been contacting his probation officer and that he had not reported his July 2005 arrest. The judge extended the probation for 90 days.

August 25, 2006- Arrested for disorderly conduct and public intoxication after being ordered by the cops to leave a Murfreesboro night club several times. Jones claimed a woman stole his wallet. The woman claimed that Jones spat on her. The judge in the case gave Pacman six months probation and told him to stay away from the club.

You don't get mo' probation unless you're found guilty of something.

p.s. This isn't even counting the 2 years probation he's still working off from his criminal activities in college.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

I think Knarlz is probably close to the truth on this one.
Not true. You can get more probation by violating the terms of your probation. Violating the terms of your probation does not necessarily involve being convicted of any crime. In the first incident you cited, Pac Man's probation was extended for failing to inform his probation officer of an arrest. That's a probation violation, not a conviction. I don't know the details of the second incident you cite, but it's entirely possible that he wasn't convicted of anything there, either. I would guess that whatever you're quoting would have mentioned if he had gotten a conviction out of it, although I don't know for sure.

And you're correct that he was convicted of some sort of assault in college, but that was before he was subject to NFL conduct policies.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

I'm pretty sure violating probation is against NFL policies, no matter when you started said probation.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

That's almost certainly true. A violation of NFL policies is still not a conviction, though.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

Wulfran wrote:My prediction: Vick will hire a smart lawyer who will pull a Johnny Cochrane and make this case all about people trying pull down a successful black man. Vick will beat the rap, settle out of court on a wrongful prosecution (or whatever) suit, and that sandbagging asshole, Joey Stumblefoot Harrington won't see any quality time with yet another team because he doesn't fucking deserve it :p
This isn't OJ in LA district court. Federal prosecutors have an average conviction rate of something like 95%.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

masteen wrote:
This isn't OJ in LA district court. Federal prosecutors have an average conviction rate of something like 95%.

Actually in the "Rocket Docket" where he is being tried, between 2000-2006 they run a 98% conviction rate and average 77 days from indictment to trial, Vick will be on the stand week 2 of the NFL.

Nike is playing fucking chickenshit as well, any money he brings in for anyone is blood money. They should give OJ a fucking shoe contract while they are at it.

Jefferson
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

This isn't some judge he is going up against, it's the federal government. No hot shot lawyer will be able to waltz out of this courtroom with getting him off the hook.
Fuck Michigan!
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:
masteen wrote:

Actually in the "Rocket Docket" where he is being tried, between 2000-2006 they run a 98% conviction rate and average 77 days from indictment to trial, Vick will be on the stand week 2 of the NFL.

Nike is playing fucking chickenshit as well, any money he brings in for anyone is blood money. They should give OJ a fucking shoe contract while they are at it.
Well, Phil Knight has no soul. And Nike uses Oracle, so that is like 16 strikes against them. Damn, they have a sweet HQ campus down the street from my work though.
en kærlighed småkager
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Sueven wrote:I think Knarlz is probably close to the truth on this one.
Not true. You can get more probation by violating the terms of your probation. Violating the terms of your probation does not necessarily involve being convicted of any crime. In the first incident you cited, Pac Man's probation was extended for failing to inform his probation officer of an arrest. That's a probation violation, not a conviction. I don't know the details of the second incident you cite, but it's entirely possible that he wasn't convicted of anything there, either. I would guess that whatever you're quoting would have mentioned if he had gotten a conviction out of it, although I don't know for sure.

And you're correct that he was convicted of some sort of assault in college, but that was before he was subject to NFL conduct policies.
By definition isn't violation of probation a crime? I'm not a lawyer but I always thought it was. It may not be high profile but it ranks in there with contempt of court in that the accused/defendant is not in compliance with the lawful instructions of the court and/or its officers. It may not carry the same stigma as a felony conviction but its something thats on your record and can be used to show established behavioural patterns (as is the case now with Pacman).

And Knerfed you may be right about the rest of it but Harrington is way too slow to play in the CFL: QBs up here need to be half running back. Harrington would be like a tackling dummy out there :p
Wulfran Moondancer
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

the NFL to Micheal Vick

Training camp?

No

My day has been made (and now I can stop calling the NFL league office every day [212-450-2000])

Jefferson
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

By definition isn't violation of probation a crime? I'm not a lawyer but I always thought it was.
I do not believe so, no (at least not necessarily). However, I don't know much about criminal law, so I could be wrong.
It may not carry the same stigma as a felony conviction but its something thats on your record and can be used to show established behavioural patterns (as is the case now with Pacman).
It certainly can be used to establish behavior patterns.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Live blog of Vick's hearing today can be found here.

Go Blue!
Gzette
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Gzette »

rut ro shaggy looks like vick's endorsements are falling out the window at the speed of light. what a dumbass. Kobe and him might want to start a focus group. I wonder who else would be there.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2951789

edit: link
Gzette Shizette - EQ - 70 Ranger - Veeshan - retired
Bobbysue - WoW - 70 Hunter - Hyjal - <Hooac>
HOOAC 4 EVAH!

knock knock
who's there
OH I JUST ATE MY OWN BALLS
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

Well, former prospect running back Tony Taylor has rolled over and the published statements he signed sound pretty damning.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=215066&hubname=
''The `Bad Newz Kennels' operation and gambling moneys were almost exclusively funded by Vick,'' a statement of facts supporting the plea agreement and signed by Taylor says.

The statement also lists several dogfights that Taylor claims Vick attended in Virginia and other states. The principals in the dogfighting ring split any winnings, and Taylor - who spent most of his time raising and training the pit bulls - used his share for living expenses, according to the statement.

Taylor also confirmed the indictment's claim that he helped purchase pit bulls and killed at least two dogs that fared poorly in test fights.
Sooooo will Vick see any time in prison? Is his career over? He's 27 now. Call this season a wipe whether he's convicted or not. Taylor faces 5 years and $250K so I'd imagine Vick is in the same ballpark. If he's a free man but an ex-con in 6 years, at age 33 do you think he'd be permitted by the league to make a comeback (speculating on the teams that might need a QB in 6 yrs is tough, although the Lions are never a bad bet :p).

And also on this news day we have Pacman Jones the Pro Wrastler! http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story/?ID=215074&hubname=
Suspended Tennessee Titans cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones has agreed to sign with the Total Nonstop Action pro wrestling group.

According to WTVF in Nashville, the deal will be announced Tuesday.

The TNA wrestling promotion is based in Nashville and is owned by Panda Energy but is a distant second in a realm ruled by World Wrestling Entertainment. The company is run by Dixie Carter and longtime pro wrestler Jeff Jarrett.
Could Vick turn into a pro-wrestler and join Pacman, once his legal issues are finished? I'm still trying to figure out if this is a bad day for the NFL or not...
Wulfran Moondancer
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Pherr the Dorf wrote:Vick is done in the NFL, forever.
Yah that

Jefferson
Sabek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sabek »

You see Vick got a new shoe contract?

Hush Puppies

:)
Sabek
Just Sabek
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

ESPN is doing what seems like 24/7 coverage on his guilty plea. Saying he is going to see between 18-36 months, then a likely NFL suspension and a loss of up to 22 million in signing bonuses.

They also said the judge in the case generally favors the heaviest sentence, so 3 years is a distinct possibilty. If he gets the full3 years, plus figure minimum 1 year league suspension, do you think anyone would be stupid enough to sign him since he will still be around 33-34 years old? He will have been out of the league and out of playing shape for a long time. He was never a great accurate passer and without his legs he is horrible. On top of that, the publicity alone could hurt a franchise.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Tyek wrote:do you think anyone would be stupid enough to sign him since he will still be around 33-34 years old?
Nah, he's good because of his speed. Payton Manning might get picked up in the exact situation and Favre would probably even be signed to an extension before going to jail if this happened to him in Green Bay.

I predict a rap album from Vick after he's released with a 50 cent cameo. Hes going to have jail cred and that goes a long ways with the rapper crowd.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

Winnow,

While I would like to agree with you, everyone knows that 50 has no cred. (just ask Funk). He needs to drop an album with the Game instead this would = MAD street cred!
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

So happy, fucktard can go to the WWE and be a freakshow when he gets out of Club Fed

Jefferson
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Daellyn

Post by Midnyte_Ragebringer »

Tyek wrote:Winnow,

While I would like to agree with you, everyone knows that 50 has no cred. (just ask Funk). He needs to drop an album with the Game instead this would = MAD street cred!
LMAO
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp ... h=itn_vick
NFL Suspends Michael Vick Indefinitely
By DAVE GOLDBERG and LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writers
2 hours ago

No matter how nuanced his confession for involvement in dogfighting, Michael Vick got no leniency Friday from the NFL.

Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended the Atlanta Falcons quarterback indefinitely without pay, just hours after Vick filed a plea agreement that portrayed him as less involved than three co-defendants and guilty mainly of poor judgment for associating with them.

Vick acknowledged bankrolling gambling on the dogfights, but denied placing bets himself or taking any of the winnings. He admitted that dogs not worthy of the pit were killed "as a result of the collective efforts" of himself and two co-defendants.

Goodell wasn't moved and didn't bother to wait until Monday, when U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson will formally accept the plea and set a sentencing date likely to land Vick in prison for one to five years.

The commissioner said Vick's admitted conduct was "not only illegal but also cruel and reprehensible." Even if he didn't personally placed bets, Goodell said, "your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL player contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."

Goodell freed the Falcons to "assert any claims or remedies" to recover $22 million of Vick's signing bonus from the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in 2004.

The commissioner didn't speak to Vick but based his decision on the court filings. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Goodell may meet with Vick in the future, and Goodell said he would review the suspension after all the legal proceedings.

"You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's personal conduct policy," Goodell told Vick in a letter after meeting in New York with Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank supported Goodell's decision and said:

"We hope that Michael will use this time, not only to further address his legal matters, but to take positive steps to improve his personal life."

Earlier Friday in Richmond, Va., a "summary of facts" signed by Vick was filed along with his written plea agreement on a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge.

"While Mr. Vick is not personally charged with or responsible for committing all of the acts alleged in the indictment, as with any conspiracy charge, he is taking full responsibility for his actions and the actions of the others involved," the defense team said in a written statement after the plea agreement was filed.

"Mr. Vick apologizes for his poor judgment in associating himself with those involved in dog fighting and realizes he should never have been involved in this conduct," the statement said.

Vick and his lawyers said his involvement was limited when it came to the enterprise known as the Bad Newz Kennels.

"Our position has been that we are going to try to help Judge Hudson understand all the facts and Michael's role," Vick's defense attorney, Billy Martin, said in telephone interview. "Michael's role was different than others associated with this incident."

Vick's summary of facts said he provided most of the Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies, echoing language in plea agreements by the three co-defendants _ Tony Taylor, Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips.

When the dogs won, the statement said, gambling proceeds were generally shared by Taylor, Peace and Phillips.

"Vick did not gamble by placing side bets on any of the fights. Vick did not receive any of the proceeds of the purses that were won by Bad Newz Kennels," the court document said.

According to the statement, Vick also was involved with the others in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions last April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging.

"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick, Phillips and Peace, the statement said.

In the plea agreement, the government committed to recommending a sentence on the low end of the federal sentencing guideline range of a year to 18 months. However, the conspiracy charge is punishable by up to five years in prison, and the judge is not bound by any recommendation or by the guidelines.

Hudson has a reputation for imposing stiff sentences, according to lawyers who have appeared in his court. The judge will set a sentencing date at Monday's hearing.

Martin said Vick will "speak to the public and explain his actions." Though he declined to say when and where, the Tom Joyner Morning Show, a syndicated program based in Dallas, said it will have a live interview with Vick on Tuesday.

The case began in April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided a Surry County property owned by Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

A federal indictment issued in July charged Vick, Peace, Phillips and Taylor with an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. Vick initially denied any involvement, and all four men pleaded innocent. The three co-defendants later pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against Vick.

Taylor was the first to change his plea, saying Vick financed the dogfighting ring's gambling and operations. Peace and Phillips soon followed, alleging that Vick joined them in killing dogs that did not measure up in test fights.

The sickening details outlined in the indictment and other court papers prompted a public backlash against Vick, who had been one of the NFL's most popular players.

Animal-rights groups mobilized against Vick _ even protesting at NFL headquarters in New York _ and sponsors dropped him.

"It is fitting that the NFL has suspended him," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. "He's now a role model for something terrible, and it's not appropriate that he suit up in an NFL uniform."

___

Associated Press Writers Matthew Barakat in McLean, Va., and Michael Felberbaum in Richmond contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Buh-bye.
Last edited by Midnyte_Ragebringer on August 24, 2007, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Midnyte_Ragebringer
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp ... =itn_vick]
NFL Suspends Michael Vick Indefinitely
By DAVE GOLDBERG and LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writers
2 hours ago

No matter how nuanced his confession for involvement in dogfighting, Michael Vick got no leniency Friday from the NFL.

Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended the Atlanta Falcons quarterback indefinitely without pay, just hours after Vick filed a plea agreement that portrayed him as less involved than three co-defendants and guilty mainly of poor judgment for associating with them.

Vick acknowledged bankrolling gambling on the dogfights, but denied placing bets himself or taking any of the winnings. He admitted that dogs not worthy of the pit were killed "as a result of the collective efforts" of himself and two co-defendants.

Goodell wasn't moved and didn't bother to wait until Monday, when U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson will formally accept the plea and set a sentencing date likely to land Vick in prison for one to five years.

The commissioner said Vick's admitted conduct was "not only illegal but also cruel and reprehensible." Even if he didn't personally placed bets, Goodell said, "your actions in funding the betting and your association with illegal gambling both violate the terms of your NFL player contract and expose you to corrupting influences in derogation of one of the most fundamental responsibilities of an NFL player."

Goodell freed the Falcons to "assert any claims or remedies" to recover $22 million of Vick's signing bonus from the 10-year, $130 million contract he signed in 2004.

The commissioner didn't speak to Vick but based his decision on the court filings. NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Goodell may meet with Vick in the future, and Goodell said he would review the suspension after all the legal proceedings.

"You have engaged in conduct detrimental to the welfare of the NFL and have violated the league's personal conduct policy," Goodell told Vick in a letter after meeting in New York with Falcons president and general manager Rich McKay.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank supported Goodell's decision and said:

"We hope that Michael will use this time, not only to further address his legal matters, but to take positive steps to improve his personal life."

Earlier Friday in Richmond, Va., a "summary of facts" signed by Vick was filed along with his written plea agreement on a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge.

"While Mr. Vick is not personally charged with or responsible for committing all of the acts alleged in the indictment, as with any conspiracy charge, he is taking full responsibility for his actions and the actions of the others involved," the defense team said in a written statement after the plea agreement was filed.

"Mr. Vick apologizes for his poor judgment in associating himself with those involved in dog fighting and realizes he should never have been involved in this conduct," the statement said.

Vick and his lawyers said his involvement was limited when it came to the enterprise known as the Bad Newz Kennels.

"Our position has been that we are going to try to help Judge Hudson understand all the facts and Michael's role," Vick's defense attorney, Billy Martin, said in telephone interview. "Michael's role was different than others associated with this incident."

Vick's summary of facts said he provided most of the Bad Newz Kennels operation and gambling monies, echoing language in plea agreements by the three co-defendants _ Tony Taylor, Purnell Peace and Quanis Phillips.

When the dogs won, the statement said, gambling proceeds were generally shared by Taylor, Peace and Phillips.

"Vick did not gamble by placing side bets on any of the fights. Vick did not receive any of the proceeds of the purses that were won by Bad Newz Kennels," the court document said.

According to the statement, Vick also was involved with the others in killing six to eight dogs that did not perform well in testing sessions last April. The dogs were executed by drowning or hanging.

"Vick agrees and stipulates that these dogs all died as a result of the collective efforts" of Vick, Phillips and Peace, the statement said.

In the plea agreement, the government committed to recommending a sentence on the low end of the federal sentencing guideline range of a year to 18 months. However, the conspiracy charge is punishable by up to five years in prison, and the judge is not bound by any recommendation or by the guidelines.

Hudson has a reputation for imposing stiff sentences, according to lawyers who have appeared in his court. The judge will set a sentencing date at Monday's hearing.

Martin said Vick will "speak to the public and explain his actions." Though he declined to say when and where, the Tom Joyner Morning Show, a syndicated program based in Dallas, said it will have a live interview with Vick on Tuesday.

The case began in April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided a Surry County property owned by Vick and found dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

A federal indictment issued in July charged Vick, Peace, Phillips and Taylor with an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. Vick initially denied any involvement, and all four men pleaded innocent. The three co-defendants later pleaded guilty and agreed to testify against Vick.

Taylor was the first to change his plea, saying Vick financed the dogfighting ring's gambling and operations. Peace and Phillips soon followed, alleging that Vick joined them in killing dogs that did not measure up in test fights.

The sickening details outlined in the indictment and other court papers prompted a public backlash against Vick, who had been one of the NFL's most popular players.

Animal-rights groups mobilized against Vick _ even protesting at NFL headquarters in New York _ and sponsors dropped him.

"It is fitting that the NFL has suspended him," said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The Humane Society of the United States. "He's now a role model for something terrible, and it's not appropriate that he suit up in an NFL uniform."

___

Associated Press Writers Matthew Barakat in McLean, Va., and Michael Felberbaum in Richmond contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Buh-bye.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Where's Marmaduke??
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

Sentenced to 23 months in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison. No parole in federal prison, could shave off 3 months for good behavior.

More infos here.

Go Blue!
Aardor
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Phoenix612

Post by Aardor »

Sylvus wrote:Sentenced to 23 months in federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison. No parole in federal prison, could shave off 3 months for good behavior.

More infos here.
Sentence seems a bit harsh, considering standard is 12-18 months, but I haven't read anything regarding the decision process behind the sentence.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tyek »

The failed drug test and his earlier refusal to admit he was involved seemed to have factored heavily in the decision. He still has the state case pending as well.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Sylvus »

And another reason why his sentence was so long...

Via Deadspin...
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution wrote:U.S. District Court Judge Henry E. Hudson sentenced the suspended Falcons quarterback to 23 months in prison for his role in a dogfighting operation - a term at least five months longer than what Vick would have received had he been truthful.

Hudson found that Vick had lied to federal authorities. And those lies bit him.

After pleading guilty in August, Vick continued to contend that others, not he, killed pit bulls that did not test well as fighting dogs. But in October, after being grilled by an FBI agent for five hours, Vick finally spilled the truth that he "hung" a dog.

During that interview an FBI polygrapher found Vick was being deceptive in denying he killed dogs. After Vick's lawyer, Billy Martin, was told this, he asked Vick about the failed test. At that moment, Martin told Hudson, Vick broke down.

"I did it all," Vick said, Martin related. "I did everything. If you need me to say more, I'll say more."

Additionally, the judge found that Vick lied about testing positive for marijuana in September.

Go Blue!
Wulfran
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Wulfran »

So he essentially gets 2 years. These threatened but not materialized state charges are stil hanging out there. He's still under indefinate suspension from the NFL.

New prediction: in 4 yrs he will be a back up in Arizona!!!
Wulfran Moondancer
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Enjoy your time as a pillow biter Mr Mexico :lol:

Jefferson
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

You gotta be some kind of special retard to agree to a polygraph and then lie. Also, keep smoking that reefer during probation, it's mo gangsta that way.