HELP: Looking for a complement to some South American flava!

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

HELP: Looking for a complement to some South American flava!

Post by noel »

Tomorrow night for dinner, I'm making the following:
Grilled Flank Steak With Chile-Tomato Salsa

Ingredients:
2 T ground cumin,
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 T lime juice,
1 t black pepper, coarsely ground
3/4 t salt,
1 - beef flank steak or top round steak (1 1/4 pounds), trimmed of all visible fat
1 lg tomato, finely chopped
1 can (4.5 oz) mild green chiles, drained
3 - scallions, thinly sliced

Directions
Lightly oil a grill rack or broiler-pan rack. Preheat the grill or broiler.

Place the cumin in a small skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, or until fragrant and darker in color. Place in a small bowl and let cool.

Remove 1 teaspoon toasted cumin and place in a medium bowl. To the small bowl, add the garlic, 2 tablespoons of the lime juice, the black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and mix well. Place the steak on the prepared rack and rub the cumin mixture over both sides of the steak. Let stand at room temperature.

Meanwhile, in the medium bowl with the reserved cumin, combine the tomato, chiles, scallions, the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let stand at room temperature.

Grill or broil the steak for 4 minutes per side, or until a thermometer inserted in the center registers 145?F for medium-rare.

Place the steak on a cutting board and let stand for 5 minutes. Cut the steak into thin slices and serve with the salsa.
I'm going to be complementing this steak with some garlic mashed-potatoes (nothing on top).

I'm looking for something else, preferrably a vegetable side/dish of some kind to complement the meal. The steak has a strong salsa topping and a strong flavor, so I'm kind of worried about what vegetable dish will go well with it. Maybe a cole-slaw of some kind? Anyway... looking for suggestions. I'll throw down 500VVs for whoever gives me something I can work with.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: For the record, I'm leaning toward just sauteeing some spinach.
Arborealus
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Arborealus »

Meh...ditch the potatoes and do some spanish rice...

Add a nice fresh south american influenced salad like...

Black Bean and Corn Salad

1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.

In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.