Cooking for one

Recipes, Reccomendations, and Reviews
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Cooking for one

Post by Chidoro »

My wife has a conference she's covering all next week so she'll be out of town. I rarely try anything inventive while cooking for just myself. I'll eat well, maybe I'll try a dry aged strip, pound out some veal cutlets and the like but I really want to make one cool dish for myself while she's gone.

I want to use shrimp as the main ingredient (GOGO IRON CHEF) since the dish can be scaled for one easily and I haven't had anything with shrimp aside from lime juice and cocktail sauce in awhile. It can be elaborate as our kitchen is pretty stocked and I love a good challenge. I have access to most ethnic specialty markets like Indian, Portuguese and Asian. A beautiful new wine store called the Wine Library opened up about 15 minutes from me (they do a huge online business as well supposedly) so specialty wine types for sauces can be accomodated.

I'll toss in 250 vv's for the recipe I go with and some for good ones I'll be sure to keep for the future. Thanks.

Edit: Let me add, I'm not really into batter frying. Saute, grill, boiled, wok'd, steamed, heck I'll even consider a really cool soup, but short of Szechuan style, I try to avoid excess oil frying.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I've done the first two of these three recipes. All of them are pretty healthy, and should satisfy your urge for shrimp.
Apricot Grilled Shrimp
Shrimp are low in fat and calories?ideal for weight watchers.

Ingredients:
1 c apricot preserves,
1 - lemon,
4 t soy sauce, reduced-sodium
2 cloves garlic , minced
2 t ginger, grated fresh
1 t black pepper, ground
2 pounds large shrimp , peeled and deveined

Directions
Place the preserves in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high power for 30 seconds, or until melted.

Grate 2 teaspoons (10 mL) of rind from the lemon and add to the bowl. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of juice into the bowl. Stir in the soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Coat a grill rack or broiler pan with nonstick spray. Preheat the grill or broiler. Remove the shrimp from the marinade and divide into eight portions; reserve the marinade. Thread the shrimp onto eight metal skewers, leaving 1/4" (0.6 cm) between the pieces. Cook 4" (11 cm) from the heat, basting often with the marinade, for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until the shrimp are opaque.

Transfer the remaining marinade to a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 2 minutes. Serve with the shrimp.
Analysis (Nutritional data per serving)
Servings: 8
Calories: 170
Protein: 15 g
Carbs: 27 g
Fiber: 1 g
Cholesterol: 135 g
Sodium: 260 mg
Fat: 1 g
Marinated Shrimp and Feta Kabobs with Lime Marinade
A lime marinade presents a pleasingly tart contrast to the salty feta.

Ingredients:
- Lime Marinade,
1/3 c lime juice,
1/3 c dry white wine or reduced-fat chicken broth,
2 - shallots, finely chopped,
2 cloves garlic, , minced
2 T fresh oregano, (or 2 tsp. dried)
1/2 t pepper,

- Shrimp Kabobs,
1 1/2 pounds large shrimp,, peeled and deveined, with tails intact
1/2 small eggplant,, peeled and cut into 1" pieces
1 - zucchini, , cut into 1 1/2" pieces
1 - sweet yellow or red pepper, cut into 2" pieces
2 - onions, , each cut into 6 wedges
12 - cherry tomatoes,
12 - mushroom caps,
9 ounces feta,, cut into 1" cubes
3 c cooked rice,

Directions
To Make the Marinade: Combine all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until it's time to marinate.

To Prepare the Kabobs: Place the shrimp in a 1-gallon (4-L) plastic food-storage bag; place the vegetables and cheese in another 1-gallon (4-L) plastic food-storage bag.

Pour half the marinade over the shrimp and half over the vegetables; seal the bags and shake. Refrigerate the bags for at least 30 minutes, shaking them occasionally.

Thread the shrimp on six metal skewers; arrange the vegetables on six metal skewers.

Grill over medium-hot coals or broil 6 inches (15 cm) from the heat source until shrimp and vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes for the shrimp and 12 minutes for the vegetables, turning halfway through the cooking time. Thread the cheese on the skewers with the shrimp and heat for 30 seconds on each side. Serve with the rice.
Servings: 6
Calories: 360
Protein: 27 g
Carbs: 37 g
Fiber: 4 g
Cholesterol: 173 g
Sodium: 636 mg
Fat: 11 g
Singapore Shrimp Noodles
The intense flavors and colors of shrimp and curry powder star in this Indian noodle dish, which is rich in beta-carotene, vitamin C, and fiber. Reduced-fat coconut milk significantly decreases the fat with no loss of flavor.

Ingredients:
6 ounces angel hair,
1 t olive oil,
1 bunch scallions , cut on the diagonal into 1" (2.5 cm) pieces
1 - sweet red pepper , cut into short strips
1 c snow peas,
2 t garlic, minced
1 1/2 t fresh ginger, grated
1 pound medium shrimp , peeled and deveined
1 T curry powder,
2/3 c reduced-sodium chicken broth, defatted
1/2 c light coconut milk,
1/4 t harissa or chili paste,
1 t coconut extract (optional),
1/4 t salt (optional),

Directions
Cook the angel hair in a large pot of boiling water according to the package directions. Drain and return to the pot.

Warm the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions, peppers, snow peas, garlic, and ginger; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Add the shrimp and curry powder; cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the shrimp are opaque. Add the broth, coconut milk, harissa or chili paste, coconut extract (if using), and salt (if using). Bring to a simmer.

Pour over the pasta and toss well. Cook, stirring constantly, over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the pasta has absorbed most of the sauce.
Servings: 4
Calories: 303
Protein: 31 g
Carbs: 32 g
Fiber: 3 g
Cholesterol: 172 g
Sodium: 354 mg
Fat: 6 g
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

I decided to expound on the third dish. I didn't think snow peas would add anything to what I was thinking so I nixed it. I also added a squirt of lime, doubled the amount of chili paste and ginger, added about 2 tablespoons of flour overall (periodic pinching) to thicken and I poured it over basmati rice as opposed to pasta.
It has a very rich color, plenty of heat, a great aroma, and tasted terrific.