ROME

General discussion about other games, links to reviews, demos, etc - let us know about whats up and coming

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

ROME

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I have been waiting and waiting and waiting, and it was worth every damn second, trying to figure out who to play, Elephants rock!
The first duty of a patriot is to question the government

Jefferson
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Ok, this game has a lot going on, the battles are amazing and the turn based gameplay is complex... even tho I am sick of getting my ass handed to me, I can't stop playing

Jefferson
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

I am getting it today myself. Can't wait.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I can't stress this enough, it is lightyears ahead of the other Total War Titles... even in provinces you own you have rebels and troops moving around... you can set ambushes with groups of troops.. the game is stunning., ohhh and play red, because the Gauls are OMGIAMRETARDEDCAUSEALOTISTWOWORDS easier to kill then those damn greeks

Jefferson
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I'm going to give it a shot based on the reviews and the subject matter. I'm not a fan of RTS but this is the best game of it's type and I can't pass up the chance to crush enemies using the full might of the roman empire.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platfor ... etotalwar/
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

I own all of Northern Italy and a chunk of France....... moving on North Africa... soon... ROME.... by the way, you better have A LOT of time on your hands, this is worse then a good game of Risk. Screw the greeks, I am moving West and South, those fuckers are brutal

Jefferson
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

haha, after seeing this, I am so buying this game (not to mention it looks fun as hell)

http://www.totalwar.com/community/rp16.htm
Lalanae
Burundi High Chancellor for Tourism, Sodomy and Pie
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I played this game a little today. It's as good as it gets for a turnbased/RTS game.

If you like RTS type games combined with a very deep turn based system than this is your game. Nice tutorial, good graphics, good controls.

I need to pause the game more often to command troops. I end up lobbing balls of flame at my own troops as the battle progresses. I also tended to control the entire army too much and my leaders would get caught in the battle.

Taking over a town, there is an option to auto resolve the conflict. I may do that instead of break down every battle as it gets overwhelming although cool running through the streets mowing down infantry with cavalry etc.

If I can play without acting out every battle I'll probably buy it.

10/10 (if you like Turn Based/RTS)
Xzion-
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Xzion- »

is there a demo i can DL, i despise most turn based games, but ive never seen one in a rts, could be pretty intiresting
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

Been playing it the last few days and really enjoy it. I bought the first two Total War games and I liked Shogun, I never got into Medieval, mostly due to the fact that I didn't enjoy the combat part of it too much. Rome on the other hand is a lot better at this aspect and really takes the turn based part of the game to a whole new level.

The auto resolve option is good, although mostly I've been fighting the battles myself, which I rarely did in Shogun and never did in Medieval. It's so nice to tie up the infantry and rain arrows and javlins at them then crush their flank with a calvary charge. Also raining down death with the catapults is fun when your assaulting a city.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
- Albert Einstein
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

the assault's are so much better, and defending an assault is a blast, a bunch of cavalry and you can race around the streets beating the odds with some well thought out charges

Jefferson
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Rivera Bladestrike »

I uh... acquired this game, and its fantastic, its kept me playing for like 48 hours straight, i skipped my classes today cause I wanted to finish off the the pesky Gauls. By the time my second class was going to start, Carthage was number one on my hit list, and then Spain took over my city out of no where so they needed to get the full wraith of 4 armies of over 1200 soldiers a piece at the same time. Ha! Was fun having a sea of my forces invade with a 4 to 1 advantage in troop size and to be decimated without a soul living (i think 1 did but i don't know how).
My name is (removed to protect dolphinlovers)

Rivera / Shiezer - EQ (Retired)

What I Am Listening To
Xzion-
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Xzion- »

Rivera Bladestrike wrote:I uh... acquired this game, and its fantastic, its kept me playing for like 48 hours straight, i skipped my classes today cause I wanted to finish off the the pesky Gauls. By the time my second class was going to start, Carthage was number one on my hit list, and then Spain took over my city out of no where so they needed to get the full wraith of 4 armies of over 1200 soldiers a piece at the same time. Ha! Was fun having a sea of my forces invade with a 4 to 1 advantage in troop size and to be decimated without a soul living (i think 1 did but i don't know how).
Because it was Maximus, bitch
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Buying it tonight right after work. I get to come into work late tomorrow so I am going to play all morning. It would be cool to get some online games going in the future. Turn based means we can save and come back to it. Trouble would be organizing it so we would all be there at the same time to play.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bubba Grizz wrote:Buying it tonight right after work. I get to come into work late tomorrow so I am going to play all morning. It would be cool to get some online games going in the future. Turn based means we can save and come back to it. Trouble would be organizing it so we would all be there at the same time to play.
Bubbiximus Grizzimus is going down!
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

I am loving this game. My son was playing last night, a quick battle I believe, not sure. I think he was carthage cause he had a ton of elephants and had them outnumbered 3 to 1. Anyway he's all like "dad watch this, I am about to drill these guys" I asked him who he was going up against, in which he responded spartans. I laughed and told him he's been sleeping in history class. Sure enough he got his clock cleaned. I came back into the room about 5 minutes later and asked him where all of his troops and elephants were, he scrolled over to a section of a street filled with dead elephants and crushed troops. Haha owned.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

I think Bakara is bringing a copy home tonight, but in the mean time

tell me about the dogs! can I really sick a pack of dogs on some fools?
Lalanae
Unofficial Canadian, Forbidden Lover of Pie, Jesus-Hatin'' Sodomite, President of KFC (Kyoukan Fan Club), hawt, perververted, intellectual submissive with E.S.P (Extra Sexual Persuasion)
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Yes and they are trained to bring down horses too.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Krimson Klaw wrote:Yes and they are trained to bring down horses too.
BAD ASS
Lalanae
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Couple things
1. I am down for games with anyone... anytime... it could be like a wonderful game of risk with alliances and deception in the VV drama fashion

2. The Julii are the family to play, the gauls are easy to slaughter... then move on africa and the spanish... I overextended the other day and got my ass handed to me from 3 sides... ahh the lessons we learn

Jefferson
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Do the Julii have dogs??
Lalanae
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

lol
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Ohh yes, and having your dogs run down the fleeing enemy is one of the best parts of the game :P

Jefferson
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

And these aren't wimpy dogs.... Rotweilers. Perfect for the task at hand.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

The flaming pigs are a riot

Jefferson
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

you laugh but I'm serious. I don't want to play anyone who doesn't have dogs.
Lalanae
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Ok I bought it, installed it, and can't play it. It is griping about cd emulation software on my computer. I have Alcohol 120% and Clone CD. I really don't intend on removing those from my computer. First thing I did was make an image of the disc 1 so I don't have to have it in my machine. My roms are incredibly loud and annoying. I am kind of pissed by this because I paid for the game I should be able to play it as I choose.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Make a backup of your CD 1 using Alcohol 120 and mount the image. It will work.

Here's a link if you need info on the settings:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=109056

edit: oops, that's for SIMS2 but I think the settings are the same for ROME.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I am able to make an image just fine. I made one with Clone CD and Alcohol 120%. The damn thing still errors out when I hit Play.

"CD/DVD emulation has been detected. Please disable and restart the game."

That gets a hardy Fuck You from me. I didn't even get a chance to enter the damn key yet so it can't be found in the registry so I can attempt to hack it there.
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

Grizz go to http://www.gamecopyworld.com they have a no cd version it should by pass the no emulation thing. At least it did for KotOR when I wanted to play it again.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

- Albert Einstein
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Bubba Grizz wrote:Ok I bought it, installed it, and can't play it. It is griping about cd emulation software on my computer. I have Alcohol 120% and Clone CD. I really don't intend on removing those from my computer. First thing I did was make an image of the disc 1 so I don't have to have it in my machine. My roms are incredibly loud and annoying. I am kind of pissed by this because I paid for the game I should be able to play it as I choose.
Lol, the game gripes about that and allows me to download the whole game and install and play without even asking for a CD key..

What I Am Listening To
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Freakin hell. I go to recapture one of my cities that rebel, I have them outnumbered two to one, the slaves burst out of the gates to charge me, that's fine, my lines hold and I even manage to flank them and attack from three sides. Then these freakin pimped out gladiators come rushing out right when I think I am doing good and commence to rape my general. I lost but damn that was awesomeness to the highest order. It's 2am so I'll lick my wounds tomorrow after work and bring in some veteran troops.
Crav
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Crav »

I am SPARTUCUS! After you recapture the city you should crucify all the slaves from that city to Rome. Teach them what happens when you defy Caesar.

Oh and the game itself has a cd key built into it so you don't have to enter it when you install, it allows you to change it though in case someone else plays on your install.
Crav Veladorn
Darkblade of Tunare

- Albert Einstein
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I downloaded the demo, and yes, I agree with everything said, with only a very limited exposure to the game. This game looks like it could be the best evar!

Will purchase in the near future, no doubt.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I caved and uninstalled my A120% and CloneCD. Shit works now. Pisses me off but the game is very cool. It will take a bit for me to get used to the controls. I can see where this would take hours to play. I have the morning off from work and I have shit to do but I am tempted to just sit and play until I have to go to work.
Truant
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Truant »

I'm still playing medieval and shogun regularly, heh. Going to grab this later this week!
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

So far I have only played it one night, but it is pretty sweet. I think they made a lot of good improvements over Medieval, never played Shogun.

Am I the only one that the Senate is totally fucking, though? They keep giving me missions to attack the greeks or carthage in like my first 10 turns, and then I have a pretty big super-power to go against. Granted, my first two campaigns I tried I wasn't the Julii, I was the other two.

I also wish you could pick more factions to start as.
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I picked the Julii for the imperial campaign. They have me out fucking with the Gauls and Carthage right away. In medieval I hung back and chose my targets. This time I am being pushed into situations. Interesting.
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

I'm having a graphics card error, I'm using ATI x600 and some stupid shit is happening. Too pissed to remember what it was. :evil:
Krimson Klaw
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Krimson Klaw »

Sylvus wrote:So far I have only played it one night, but it is pretty sweet. I think they made a lot of good improvements over Medieval, never played Shogun.

Am I the only one that the Senate is totally fucking, though? They keep giving me missions to attack the greeks or carthage in like my first 10 turns, and then I have a pretty big super-power to go against. Granted, my first two campaigns I tried I wasn't the Julii, I was the other two.

I also wish you could pick more factions to start as.
You unlock different factions that you can play with when you beat the different campaigns according to the rulebook. There are a small handful of factions that cannot be unlocked though, but I had never heard of them so I cannot list them.
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Power to the Visagoths!
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Yah playing the lower parts suck, the greeks come and kick your ass, the julii play with the gauls and germans, so long as you are not outnumbered by more then 3:2 it ends up being a rout... lots of horses, they have no spears!

Jefferson
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

I dominated all of western Europe, the question is -- move to the cold and boring English, of whom i got some trade agreements with, move on to the Germans, who i also have trade negotiations with, send the gigantic army i have into Rome and conquor rome, i don't want to move in on Brutus, cause they're the best military apparently according to stats and they're an ally. All I got left is Africa which is taken by an ally, and far eastern Europe which sucks cause I gotta transport a ton of armies...

Decisions, decisions.

What I Am Listening To
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Question. When doing construction sometimes there is just nothing to construct, even in a newly taken settlement. Is this by design? Or am I missing something? I have discovered the need to have ships everywhere. I get a mission from the senate telling me to blockade a port and then I find that I have no ships that can reach it within the 5 turns needed. I have failed twice on that.
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Maybe it's because your settlement isn't big enough to go to the next level? The chart I have shows that at each level (based on population) you get a choice of new buildings.

ps I love this game!
Lalanae
VariaVespasa
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by VariaVespasa »

I think its intentional. Think its tied to town size, which is a function of population. Sorta silly to have a circus maximus in a farming village of 378 people. after all. :P
*Hugs*
Varia
Rivera Bladestrike
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Yeah it depends on population size, like 2000, 6000, 15000, and so on.

Yeah, Boats need to be everywhere....

What do you guys think of moving your capital to be more in the center of your territory? I mean my most advanced city currently holds capital but its in Italy while the majority of my cities lie in Gaul and Spain.

Reason being that many of the cities I hold in Spain are unhappy with their distance to the capital, but I'm hesistant to change my capital to a less advanced and not as well defended city.

What I Am Listening To
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Thanks for the info. Now, how do I increase population. (no smart ass comments about dickfers)

Also, has anyone played multiplayer yet? Can you play a turn based game on Multiplayer or is it only battles? I'd love to be able to work CoOP with others to support each other.
Pherr the Dorf
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Pherr the Dorf »

Make them happy, under every city is a people figure... you want him green with a +... also when you conquer, distribute the people if they are far away from your capital, that will give all your other cities a nice bump

Jefferson
Lalanae
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Lalanae »

Is there a trick to making the folks in your family tree procreate or is it just random? I started out strong, but the third generation seems to be having an issue with their fertility and my governors are dying off.
Lalanae