Tasks: What ones have you done, and what would you fix?

Everquest related info only here, quests, help, info, recruiting, etc.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Tasks: What ones have you done, and what would you fix?

Post by Akaran_D »

Post your levels & classes here. I may forward this off to SoE after enough replies.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Tasks: What ones have you done, and what would you fix?

Post by Aslanna »

Akaran_D wrote:Post your levels & classes here. I may forward this off to SoE after enough replies.
For what I would fix, see the patch message thread!

66 - Monk

I don't remember all the tasks I've done. By name I know I've done 'Dirty Deeds' and 'Searching the Crater'. I also did one that involved killing 10 mature wurms in Skyfire. Thinking I also did a fourth but I have no memory of it so maybe it never happened.

Dirty Deeds - Kill 10 mobs in Howling Stones, loot 4 Dust of Decays and turn them in to someone in OT. This was labeled as a 'Short' task and was actually pretty quick. I think I was in HS less than 30 minutes. But I was always a big fan of HS and spent a lot of time there so I knew my way around and was comfortable going there alone.

Searching the Crater - This involved killing 10 mature chromodracs in Skyfire, looting 4 Essence of Sunlight, then searching (just run to the bottom basically) the NE and NW craters, killing 10 Sarnak champions and then turn in the sunlights to someone in Skyfire. Overall time, probably three hours. Trying to find particular mobs in large outdoor zones with no tracking simply SUCKS! There's no other way to put this. Sometimes the directions are vague. Like the one that said search the NW crater. Where is that? Well, I ran all over everywher EXCEPT the giant fort. Duh. Didn't even think about that until I asked in guild chat and someone suggested the fort. So this task could have been done quicker if I knew where to go and had tracking.

Overall XP gained doing those three tasks was probably 5%. Total time I'd say around six hours on all three. Conclusion: While it's (slightly) better than LFG it has a way to go if they want to actually get people to do Tasks. My suggsetion is at least double the XP. 5% for the 'long' tasks. Maybe 3-4% for the Short and Medium ones.

On the kill mob x 10 times parts, perhaps they could make it more generic. So, for example, instead of killing 10 sarnak champions someone could kill any 10 sarnaks. Obviously this would help those without track. There are chromodracs and wurms aplenty in Skyfire, no need to make them certain ones. This will also help those who aren't as well equipped since they can fight mobs that aren't as difficult.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Yenn
No Stars!

Post by Yenn »

You realize that tasks were made up to level 65 right?

And 5% in 66 is probably a good 10% or so in 65 so that would be worth it more.
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

:vv_jackass:
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yenn wrote:You realize that tasks were made up to level 65 right?

Anyone able to decipher this?

--
Acies
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Acies »

Aslanna wrote:
Yenn wrote:You realize that tasks were made up to level 65 right?

Anyone able to decipher this?
Allow me:
And 5% in 66 is probably as good as 10% or so in 65, so that would be worth it more.
Bujinkan is teh win!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Well it also sounds like he/she is saying that tasks weren't intended for people over level 65. Which obviously isn't the case.
And 5% in 66 is probably as good as 10% or so in 65, so that would be worth it more.
Was he referring to the 6+ hours that it took me to make that or about my suggestion for increasing the XP rewards for tasks?

If he's saying that 6 frustrating hours of trying to find mobs without posessing any tracking abilty is worth 5% XP in 66 I've have to say he's conflicted.

However, if he meant the other thing, I agree. 5% for a task would be worth the time if you can't find a group.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I did two of them, both started in dreadlands. One was to end up going to veksar and kill 10 something or another, I can't remember. Then go talk to someone in frontier mountains. The second was to go to frontier mountains, talk to a guy, and then go to droga and kill another ten somethings. For each of these I got like 116 pp, and about 6% or so exp in level 65. I will not be doing anymore of them until it's worth it.

I am not in a guild, and don't want to be hardcore, so this idea sounded great to me. But it is just unrealistic to spend the 3 or 4 hours I spend on this ( not including the time I spent waiting in veksar because somebody was already clearing the area with the mobs I needed because they were doing the same task) and get almost no reward.

I saw tracking limitations listed above as a reason to be more generic on what mobs you need to kill. To me, the better reason for that to happen is this - what's the point in making tasks that are for people with just a bit to play, if they have to wait for a camp to open?
Linaminu
No Stars!

Post by Linaminu »

i think they are a lot better for the lower level characters
i did 2 while i was bored on my level 41 warrior
got a level from 2 medium tasks

both started in East Commons and involved me going to Sol A and killing Gnomish Miners

First one i had to kill 10 miners, loot 4 gnome meats and give them to someone in Lavastorm

Second one i had to kill 10 miners, then kill 10 inferno goblins then loot 4 soot hemlock

i found em pretty good but i agree that its harder for the classes without track
Yenn
No Stars!

Post by Yenn »

Brekkee - *TheOther* the task system is constantly brought up as the 'gap filler' between those that are at teh cutting edge and the casual player, yet since reports say the task system only goes to either 55 or 65, how does this address the majority of the playerbase that does not raid and is already 65, where gear is really the only, but a very large, seperation?
Brenlo - First off. Most players are not 65 =)
Brenlo - We think that power progression to level 70 will help to overcome some of the current disparities between the raider and the casual guild.
Brenlo - For example, as they approach level 70, Gates content will become easier to overcome. Allowing folks to get some of the gear that they could not because they will now be able to visit zones they could not previously.
Brenlo - For example a smaller group will be able to make into Qvic or Time than was needed before.

And this gem.
Brekkee - *Elidroth[Hoss]* Is the task system unusable by level 66-70?
Brenlo - For now it only progresses to level 65. We want the 65 to 70 folk to make their way through Omens and Gates.
Brenlo - We will see about increasing the level limit later on.
Spankes
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Spankes »

When will they realize that my 3 bazaar gimps and 7 twinks I never play shouldn't count when they design the game for characters?
EQ - Spankes - Retired
Wow - Randulph
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yenn wrote: And this gem.
Brekkee - *Elidroth[Hoss]* Is the task system unusable by level 66-70?
Brenlo - For now it only progresses to level 65. We want the 65 to 70 folk to make their way through Omens and Gates.
Brenlo - We will see about increasing the level limit later on.
I'm not sure of your point since the task system is usable by level 66-70 people at this time. Well, not sure on level 70 since I'm not there yet.

Regardless, none of that is even relevant. Even at 65 the XP reward is nowhere near large enough for the majority of people to spend much time doing tasks.
Brenlo - First off. Most players are not 65 =)
And yeah, I don't agree with that either. I'm sure most active characters were 65 (or close to it). Note I said characters and not players. Obviously people have mule gimps.

--
Yenn
No Stars!

Post by Yenn »

My only point in posting was the Monk that had tried it out was 66 and 66 to 67 takes a buttload of XP so of course it wasn't going to give him all that much. Even 65 to 66 takes a decent amount.

Now if he had been going from 64 to 65 then I think he might have had a better experience with it. That's all.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

But that to me is almost irrelevant because I am level 65 and working on 66, and I am about as casual as it comes. Now I have a lot of times where I don't have long to play, so this would be nice, but they need to make it worth the time.

They cannot make the assumption that if you are 66+ you are a power player. I just think that they need to adjust it to make it worthwhile to any level.
Yenn
No Stars!

Post by Yenn »

They have said they are working on the 65 to 70 Tasks but aren't done yet.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Yenn wrote:My only point in posting was the Monk that had tried it out was 66 and 66 to 67 takes a buttload of XP so of course it wasn't going to give him all that much. Even 65 to 66 takes a decent amount.
I personally don't think that's relevant, either. I'm basically comparing task xp to group xp. And 2% XP, even in 66, takes nowhere near as long in a group as it takes to make doing a Task. The same would hold true for any level.

--
eOmniz
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by eOmniz »

It's ridiculous that anyone who would be good at doing the tasks (porters, trackers, etc) would obviously be better off just soloing the experience. The system needs to be completely revamped.
Current Incarnations:
Flintler, EQ2, Crushbone, HOOAC
Grahmiam, WoW, Firetree, The Crazy 88
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

from my post in the patch message thread:

the task system sucks. i did one task that had me kill 10 reanimated mobs in chardok and collect 4 bone chips at the same time. i did another task...a longer task... that was the same damn thing, cept i had to walk around 'burned' woods for a few minutes before i got to the killing part.

if you do a medium length task you get half a blue and 116 pp at the end. a short length task is half that. this is basically LDoN but it's soloed and you get plat instead of pts and you kill lowbie mobs. it sucks.

i won't be doing any more tasks.

oh, and it aint a quick '1 hour' thing. these things take awhile.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Spang wrote:oh, and it aint a quick '1 hour' thing. these things take awhile.
I agree!

However, to be fair it's not like you have to finish them in one sitting. I think what SOE was trying to say is that you can start on them, go for an hour or whatever, and then log. When you come back the next day you start again where you left off.

That's just my interpretation!

--
*~*stragi*~*
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: kimj0ngil

Post by *~*stragi*~* »

wow, so these tasks require you to goto 3 year old content and kill green cons for task items? think they missed a vital piece of info when they ripped this off from wow.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

dunno about items....never got any items...just plat and some exp.
Fredonia Coldheart
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Fredonia Coldheart »

Linaminu wrote:i think they are a lot better for the lower level characters
I agree - I did one with my 31 necro and was very happy with the experience. When I started she was about 70% into the level and finished at 25% into 32. I had to kill 10 pilgrims in FV and then 10 gorla's in TD.

My only complaint would be the killing of faction on a lot of these. It may be that only those of evil races and classes would get the task that I did. I would not have done it if I had been playing my druid who is ally in FV.
Fredonia Coldheart
Guff Of Souls - Officer
Linaminu
No Stars!

Post by Linaminu »

yeah Fredonia, i understand that... i had half hour spare so i thought id do one on my 21 monk gimp, Lol, gained 2 blues for completing the whole task which was done in 10 mins, go to EC then run HHP then run HK then back to Kith, hail women = job done
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

forgot about lvl and class...i was 66 shammy when i did mine.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

http://www.gucomics.com/archives/view.p ... e=20040922

The point about factions is a good one. The majority of tasks I've been offered involve killing things with faction hits. Why can't they have you kill things in BW, for example, like the gorillas, which have no faction, instead of Sarnaks, which quite a few people have worked hard to raise. They assume that all evil people kill FV pilgrims, BW sarnaks and Skyfire wurms/wyverns. It's not true!

--
Nilaman
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Nilaman »

66 Mage: I had to go to chardok and kill 10 reanimated people. Then hail someone in skyfire. It took about 35 minutes, I made 116pp from completing the task and another 3k off random loot dropped in chardok during that time. I got a whopping 2% exp! And I gained 1% exp killing in chardok.

68 Mage: Fucker keeps giving me some dumbass go to droga and explore some dining room. I can't get anything else so I have decided to protest by not doing any more stupid tasks for minimal exp.
Shashonna
Star Farmer
Star Farmer
XBL Gamertag: Shashonna

Post by Shashonna »

Did one on my 33 druid. She had to kill 10 chickens in OT. She was 12% into 33 when I started, when I ended she was at 82%. She for 20% and like 10p for the actual task. Was medium task...took me a couple hours as I had no buffs or help....everyone was busy to come cheat for me :P

Bard 13. She had to find a lone house in BB (ran by a guard house and it said step 1 done) Then she had to go to OOT and find the golbin island. Was a short task she got about 10% and 1pp for that
Shashonna Illumenada
Enchanter Extraordinaire!
Owner of the Snake Stick