Interview with Steve Danuser, Community Manager, EQ2

Everquest related info only here, quests, help, info, recruiting, etc.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Interview with Steve Danuser, Community Manager, EQ2

Post by Akaran_D »

Q&A with Steve Danuser

EQ2Arena: Does the evacuate ability extend to all Scout Classes, and what will be the exact purpose of the skill? In EQ Live, the evacuate ability took players to a zone line, but if zone lines are being lessened, how will this ability help the group of players?

SD: Escape is an evacuation ability that all scouts receive as a function of their archetype. The idea is that scouts can get their party members out of danger in a hurry, so when the fight turns grim they can retreat to a nearby explorer camp. The downside is that the party would have to fight its way back down into the dungeon, so it won't be something that's used unless absolutely necessary.

EQ2Arena: Will there be any way to talk to your guild or join a channel outside EQ like EQIM?

SD: We intend to provide ways for players to stay connected to their friends even when they can't be playing at the same time.

EQ2Arena: EQ Live was limited in terms of weather effects, with only night and day and precipitation affecting the players. Will there be more variety in the type of weather effects, and how they effect not only the environment (i.e. trees changing colors), but also elemental spells depending on the weather and or environment (i.e. ice spells more effective in a tundra setting)?

SD: We're concentrating on providing weather effects in zones where they are appropriate. For instance, snow will be limited to frozen areas rather than affecting the whole world seasonally. Though technically possible, creating different seasonal versions of each zone would be a huge undertaking considering the amount of detail in our world. We don't intend for weather to have a major impact on gameplay, because the net effect would be to make certain zones less accessible or less desirable under certain conditions. That tends to limit content rather than open it up.

EQ2Arena: With many people wanting death to be meaningful, what kind of death penalties are in-game to ensure that venturing out in the world will be done with caution. More importantly, since experience loss becomes less meaningful at level 50, will the system scale differently as you level?

SD: Death decreases the amount of spirit you have, even if you are resurrected or recover your sprit shard. Spirit doesn't just affect the rate at which you earn experience; it affects your stats, your attack and defense, and other factors that impact your general effectiveness. We're currently tuning the system so that a single death isn't overly punitive, but if someone were to recklessly die multiple times then the impact on their effectiveness will be quite visible. This system does indeed scale as you level, so players at the level cap will still not want to die needlessly.

EQ2Arena: Will spells also have a base level and become more powerful as you level up, similar to weapons?

SD: Some spells are designed to grow in power with you. Others will be replaced when you receive newer, more powerful spells as you gain levels. But most every spell that you are granted will be given to you at a base level of effectiveness. You will want to obtain a higher-tier version of that spell, either by purchasing it, interacting with an artisan, or obtaining it as a rare drop in an encounter. In essence, you get the base ability for free, but players will want to actively upgrade their spells to maximize their potential.

EQ2Arena: We've seen pictures of Lord Nagafen and other various dragons. Will we see Lady Vox, Lord Trakanon, and other dragon from the Ring of Scale/Claws of Veeshan if they have survived, or other mobs residing on the continents of Norrath?

SD: There are many ancient and powerful creatures in Norrath blessed (or in some cases cursed) with lifespans far longer than the average mortal. It is safe to assume that certain well-known entities survived the last 500 years, even if they don't wish to make their influence readily apparent at this time. Dragons certainly fall into this category.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Tenuvil
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Tenuvil »

Is that Moorgard from mobhunter.com? I recall him being offered a job working on EQ2...
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

I beleive it is, yes.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

EQ2Arena: We've seen pictures of Lord Nagafen and other various dragons. Will we see Lady Vox, Lord Trakanon, and other dragon from the Ring of Scale/Claws of Veeshan if they have survived, or other mobs residing on the continents of Norrath?

SD: There are many ancient and powerful creatures in Norrath blessed (or in some cases cursed) with lifespans far longer than the average mortal. It is safe to assume that certain well-known entities survived the last 500 years, even if they don't wish to make their influence readily apparent at this time. Dragons certainly fall into this category.
Woo hoo! Normal non Doom3 looking mobs again. Back to the basics.