Demon's Souls

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Re: Demon's Souls

Post by Animalor »

I haven't even touched the tower or the swamp yet. I've done everything up to 1-3 (Can't get in any farther past where the Tower Knight was), 2-1 and 2-2. I think I'm going to try and wrap up 2 tonight.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
PSN ID: quyrean

Post by Jice Virago »

Animalor wrote:I ran through the first section of the Shrine of Storms last night and the weapons you pick up off the ground are fantastic. I didn't get all the way to the boss as I had gained a respectable amount of souls but the Katana-type weapon, the Crescent Falcion +1 and that other sword are all just wow...

Katana - Uchigatana: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/uchigatana

Crescent Falcion: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/falcion

Other Sword - Kilij: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/kilij
They are good, but if your stats are not solid in those areas, you might not be able to use them. Or, if you have freed the second blacksmith, you most likely have better. In particular, any Moon weapon that adds in your magic stat to the damage is beyond fucking uber for a magic build. My spear does shitloads of damage, as a matter of fact. I could see someone with no magic ability benefitting from those weapons, if they cleared that area early, though.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.
--RICHARD M. NIXON, "REAL PEACE" (1983)

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

For the Phalanx, I had 7 or 8 of the flame bombs in my inventory, I ran up and chucked all 7 or 8 of them in a row at the Phalanx and toasted all the little mini guys right away.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

OK here's the farm spot you want : )

After killing the Adjunct in 4-1

Well first, you can farm that Katana wielding Skelly that sits righ before the Adjuc Boss for ~1250 Souls + Blades Shard but even better:

Go into 4-2, You see A reaper down below. Kill the sloth moving transparent thingies easy, then kill Reaper from up top with fire balls (get right above him up top and target him down below) and get 5K souls, drop down, get his loot (dark moonstone) and then Evacuate to Nexus, rinse, reaper for 5K a pop. If you haven't spent the 20K for evacuate, you can skip the loot and still get 5K fast.

I accidentally dropped down and still killed the reaper easy with fireballs before it killed me (two shot)

Edit: It's about 5K every 2 mins : )

You have your Evac Miracle paid for in 8 Minutes and the rest if prue profit. 100K in 40 mins +20 darkmoonstone shards/chunks if you need them
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Is it just me or does the game feel less hard the more I play it. Maybe I'm just getting the hang of things and playing more carefully but I'm definately dying a lot less and overall progressing faster than I expected.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

The game does get easier, mostly through a combination of adapting your playstyle and gearing up. Some things still wind up ridiculous, though. Instant kill attacks from hall trash are pretty damn annoying. Armor is less than pointless, since it makes it harder to dodge. Long ass levels without any shortcuts are bullshit, too.

The fundemental change is that you tend to alter how you play. This is not Oblivion where you can just chug potions and muscle your way to a win if you have to. Its a completely different style of game, sort of Ghost and Ghouls meets Everquest where you need to farm and avoid dying in a sucky place (hi2u bearbug tunnels!) and nearly anything can kill you in one or two hits. Not for everyone, but I enjoy it (when I am not dying to stupid hall trash ambushes).
Last edited by Jice Virago on October 16, 2009, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War is an option whose time has passed. Peace is the only option for the future. At present we occupy a treacherous no-man's-land between peace and war, a time of growing fear that our military might has expanded beyond our capacity to control it and our political differences widened beyond our ability to bridge them. . . .

Short of changing human nature, therefore, the only way to achieve a practical, livable peace in a world of competing nations is to take the profit out of war.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, represents, in the final analysis, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children."

Dwight Eisenhower
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

Winnow wrote:OK here's the farm spot you want : )

After killing the Adjunct in 4-1

Thats the commonly known one, but once you get homing soul arrow (and magic 30) you can easily rape the three red eye knights just before the Penetrator arch stone (the 1-4 stone) for around 7k a clear. They seriously die in like one blast from homing arrow and they drop some good weapons along with plentiful full moon grass.

Dwight Eisenhower
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Jice Virago wrote: Thats the commonly known one, but once you get homing soul arrow (and magic 30) you can easily rape the three red eye knights just before the Penetrator arch stone (the 1-4 stone) for around 7k a clear. They seriously die in like one blast from homing arrow and they drop some good weapons along with plentiful full moon grass.

I'm getting 7K by killing the Reaper and the Black Katana Skeleton (the one through the fake wall that you go through to grab the White Bow. It's less distance to travel (well not much) and the Reaper is so easy, plus the Black Skelly ahs the Darkmoon stuff.

Either way, I have 30 Magic, havent seen where to get Soul Arrow Yet or what Demon I haven't killed to get it yet.

It turns out I took a shortcut through 4-1 to get to the boss so I need to go back through part of 4-1 to check it out.

What has annoyed me is that I had to reset my +8 Moonstone Scimitar because if it's over +6 and modified you can't switch it to Darkmoon so I'm farming the stupid Phalanx mini things for large sharpestones which can't be bought like the small sharpstones. Pain in the ass. I'm loaded up on Darkmoon chunks ats so can upgrade quickly after scimitar +6 again.

I understand there's a nicer bleeding weapon in 4-1 somewhere so may hold off till I can grab that without having to go through complete re-leveling of my scimitar.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

Homing Soul Arrow is one of the possible upgrades from beating the final boss of 3-3, the yellow monk. You have to have freed the sage Freke guy earlier in the level to get it. The other options are Soul Thirst (attracts monster? Who seriously wants this) and the Insanity Catalyst, which while upping magic damage halves your max MP, so I decided to save getting that for the second clear. With Magic 30, you get 4 Soul Arrors that auto track and do the same damage as a single arrow, which nearly always one shots the red eye knight guys. It gibs the katana skelly pretty damn well, too. It also made fighting the Adjudicator a total joke (3 casts of it ftw!) and has a much quicker cast time than a normal Soul Arrow. Best of all, you can pre-emptively cast it and walk around with the shots hovering around you and your shield up, making taking certain hard monsters head on much more viable. It is more suceptible to getting hung up on terrain, though, so it does not make the regular soul arrow obsolete.

Dwight Eisenhower
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

So I set out to get the trophy for max-upgrading a weapon with sharpstones.

Farming the large sharpstones in 2-2 off the pickaxe miners is a complete bitch and a half. Large sharpstone shards actually drop LESS frequently than the Chunks of Sharpstones. The amount of souls you get off the miners is also very low (10-15) so you don't really gain experience doing this either.

On the upside I finally finished it up this morning after an additional 90 minutes of grinding.

At the moment, I've completed the Palace up till 1-4, I've completed 2 and 3 and am at 4-2. Haven't touched 5.

I put up my Blue Stone last night at the boss for 2-2 and got suck into this dude's New+ game. The lava monsters was a LOT harder than the first play through. I cringe to think at how hard the Maneater fight is at that stage.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Speaking of Flamelurker, I tried him last night and killed him on my first try.
What a rush.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I usually try to do a boss fight as a phantom first to get the layout and patterns before trying it myself(with my own phantom helpers of course). Noone was biting when I did Maneater so I had to so it on my own.

I managed to do it on my 2nd try. It's pretty exhilarating.
Jice Virago
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Jice Virago »

Never do bosses in body form unless you are sure you will win, because it pooches world tendancy too much. You can always chain suicide to get the black tendancy events later, but getting white tendancy is hard. At the moment, I am taking a break because I am not interested in farming 4-2 until I can beat the blue dragon and the mario style instant death platforming in 4-2 annoys the shit out of me. As for maneater, he is a joke with Firestorm or Wrath of God. Two casts = fight over.

Dwight Eisenhower
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

So I was running 4-2 last night. I had never been invaded before this point(aside for the mandatory one in 3-3). Last night was a cavalcade of high level assholes coming into my game and attempting to swat me down as I was trying to put together teams to take down the old hero.

I helped 3 or 4 people take down their hero but for whatever reason I couldn't find a talented player to help me with mine to save my life.

Ended up being a really frustrating evening. There's one particular instance I got invaded 3 times in the same attempt. The first ran away scared, the 2nd died and the 3rd decimated my whole team. Was swinging this tree-trunk like club weapon and had this armor I'd never seen before (This guy also showed up in my game 3 times after that during the course of the evening. Name is PanFuknTERA. I hope he DIAF..
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Some people are just douchebags.
If someone insists on stalking you, just do a different area or take a break.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I "think" I've been invaded once. Does the Phantom Player show up as red?

I was in 3-1 right near the beginning and this Red Glowing person came at me with a spear. I gave him a Soul Arrow beat down until he died.

I'm not sure if that was a black phantom or not. Is there something in 3-1 that would be a red glowing character normally?

----

If I ever started another character, I could get it to soul level 50 super fast knowing what I know now. Basically, just need enough magic level to beat down a few skellies, kill that adjunct thingy (easy) and then you can farm the Reaper at low levels, skyrocketing your soul levels quickly. At that point, you also are farming your darkmoonstones so can grab a high level magic weapon at same time.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Similarly to when you pull in a blue phantom. you get a big message that your world has been invaded by another player. He is reddish yeah. There are black phantom NPC's around the world as well. 3-1 has one. That may be the one you're talking about. (After the arrow rack machine-thing right?)

Old Hero downed btw. Finally caught a break and a good player to help me out.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:Similarly to when you pull in a blue phantom. you get a big message that your world has been invaded by another player. He is reddish yeah. There are black phantom NPC's around the world as well. 3-1 has one. That may be the one you're talking about. (After the arrow rack machine-thing right?)
Grats on the Old Hero.

No, it wasn't the Black Phantom after the arrow thingy. I beat down that invisible, bolt shooting bitch with my (scrolls up to find name) +4 Crescent Uchigatana after rushing her with my +something DarkPurpleShield up. BTW, previously I said upgraded it until Chunk of Darkmoonstone needed, I meant I upgraded until final +5 requirement of Pure Darkstone.

Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I've got a +4 too. Haven't managed to snag one of those Pure Darkmoonstones.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

Completed. Was a fun challenge that one. Have 61 hours logged on my Wanderer overall. Soul level 90 when I finished the game.

FYI - If you freed Yurt, The Silent Chief kill him off ASAP. He goes around murdering people in the Nexus. Killed Yuria, Freke and the mage assistant in mine and left me with no way to change up my spells.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"Early reports from the Kingdom of Boletaria indicate that the Old One's power grows," announced Aram Jabbari, Manager of PR and Sales for Atlus, shuffling awkwardly under the weight of his full set of fluted armor. "We've discovered that the nefarious Demon will seek to descend the land in pure blackness on All Hallow's Eve. His minions will be more powerful, but the rewards for those who seek to challenge them will be greater as well. We don't know how long this dark tendency will last, but we do advise those prone to controller-into-LCD syndrome to proceed carefully."
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

If anyone can find this guide coughwinnowcough, or if anyone can even tell me where I can buy the damn guide alone and not as a bundle with the game, I'd greatly appreciate it :D
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Animalor »

I tried playing this on Halloween. It was extremely hard and 90% of the baddies could 1-hit me dead.

Eeeevil.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:If anyone can find this guide coughwinnowcough, or if anyone can even tell me where I can buy the damn guide alone and not as a bundle with the game, I'd greatly appreciate it :D
The Demon's Souls Wiki

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/demon-s-souls

Is actually excellent for information

If You need a walk through, this one is OK:

http://mycheats.1up.com/view/section/31 ... _souls/ps3
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

This game has received its due praise but I though this was a nice recap of the good and bad of Demon's Souls from Kotaku:
Dare to enter the kingdom of Boletaria and you may regret it, brave warrior. Demon's Souls is a harsh world, perverted by ancient evils and men gone mad at the loss of their souls. But what of your own sanity?

From Software's PlayStation 3 role-playing game sloughs off many of the conventions one typically associates with Japanese RPGs, putting players into a world unlike any other. The real-time action RPG features a heavy focus on hand-to-hand combat, not calculated menu choices. There are no party members to recruit, no love interests to pursue. There are only demon's to slay and souls to collect and a goal—defeat the Old One and free Boletaria from its colorless curse.

Demon's Souls is full of complex challenges and complex concepts, a game with no traditional save point system, no pause option and no coddling of the player who may have become accustomed to simpler, more forgiving fare. it is a hellish place of suffering, where men are routinely crushed by the powerful demonspawn that inhabit it.

So, why, then is Demon's Souls so rewarding, so refreshing and so engrossing? Here's why.

Loved

A New Brand Of Survival Horror:

Fear is a constant in Demon's Souls, at least during your first unfamiliar adventure in the kingdom of Boletaria, as death can come to the player at any moment. These frequent deaths—which will become more frequent to the player not mindful of the world around them—are by design. Demon's Souls is meant to be studied, to be carefully considered and for its world to be absorbed. Its inhabitants are meant to be feared, so that the player can learn how to dispatch of them properly. You may die in Demon's Souls dozens, in not a hundred times or more. But you'll become the better player for it, mindful of your fear.

A World In Need Of Mending:

Beyond the need for self-preservation, Demon's Souls offers a heavy dose of gloom and doom through its well-realized, beautifully designed lands. From the prisons of the Tower Of Latria, closely guarded by Mind Flayers, to the depths of the Stonefang Tunnel, guarded by fire-spewing beasts, each of Demon's Souls five massive environments offers something new to be awed by, to be afraid of. And each of those five worlds come with their unique inhabitants, their own trappings, new rules for the player to observe and new denizens to dread. The one safe haven for the few unscathed humans, The Nexus, is a gorgeous elaborate structure. But it is soon dwarfed by the massive castles and major demons that the player will face.

Demon's Souls' world is both fantastic and realistic, never patronizing the player. For the most part, the player is free to visit any of its diverse lands in the order of their choosing, letting the player decide how to navigate the world. And thanks to Demon's Souls' fluctuating World and Character Tendency system, which changes Boleteria's populace and environments based on a number of factors, the game world offers plenty to do beyond the first play through. This is a world worth revisiting, death after death after death.

Major Demons:

Depending on how you play Demon's Souls, whether your world ventures towards white or black, you'll face over a dozen impressive and diverse bosses. All of them are memorable in some way, from the quiet calm of facing the Old Hero, to the massive scale of tackling the Dragon God, to the shocking tension of facing the Penetrator or Flame Lurker. Or any of Demon's Souls spectacularly designed demons, for that matter. Some can simply be dispatched with hundreds of arrows from a hiding spot, but others will require ample dexterity, a calm demeanor and smart strategy. Some may invoke warm feelings of another PlayStation hallmark, Shadow of the Colossus, due to their impressive magnitude.

Simple Made Complex:

Where other role-playing games throw complex upgrade paths and a flood of weapons, armor and items at the player to create the illusion of depth, Demon's Souls offers it genuinely. Strategic trade-offs must be made in your choices of what to equip, how to fight and where to engage your enemy in battle. Demon's Souls offers a simple base upon which to build its system—the ten starting character class templates—then lets the player decide how to progress from there. It's both freeing and rewarding.

Massively Multiplayer Loneliness: Demon's Souls features a rather unique online multiplayer component. Players will see, but not hear or touch, the echo of other Demon's Souls players, each fighting demons in their own instance of the world. Players can also read or leave messages for others, attempting to help strangers (and help themselves) during their adventure. Bloodstains left by fallen comrades in other instances can also be left behind, illustrating how other adventurers died, a warning to first-timers of what awaits them in the next step.

Demon's Souls does have a more traditional multiplayer component to it, letting players summon other warriors to their world as spirits, teaming up to tackle major demons. But other players can also invade your world in Black Phantom form, adding a player versus player gambling element to the experience. There is no voice chat, there is no lobby to join, which may seem like a drawback. But this implementation further entrenches the feeling in Demon's Souls players that the lonely existence of demon slaying is largely theirs alone to do.

The Soul Economy:

Demon's Souls soul system adds a fascinating layer of strategy to the game. Souls, which you'll collect from fallen enemies and find scattered about Boletaria's land, serve as currency, experience and materials. You'll need them to upgrade your character and your weapons, resulting in an interesting trade-off. And should you die in one of Demon's Souls worlds, you'll lose your current soul stock—unless you find your own bloodstain—making the decision to soldier on or return to the Nexus for upgrades a constant struggle.

Torchlight:

Demon's Souls is dark and it is best played in the dark. And while it might seem odd to highlight the game's lighting, it's expertly crafted. Not so much from a technical sense, but that the player must be mindful of the glowing souls, the deadly exploding Will o' Wisps, the torches, the glowing eyes that populate every dark room. There's much the player can glean from Demon's Souls lights as they cut through the blackness.

After Careful Consideration: This is a hard game. Cruel, punishing, unforgiving, relentless, sadistic... whatever you want to call it, Demon's Souls is a challenge. But you'll learn. You'll adapt. And if you're careful, attentive to the events occurring around you, you'll be fine. That Demon's Souls demands this, making the game feel more like pure horror than the traditional fun one expects of a video game, eventually spellbinding the player, is what makes the game so enjoyable.

Hated

My First Few Hours:

This may make me sound like a wimp—and ultimately a crazed Demon's Souls zealot—but you need to know. Demon's Souls was, for me, torture for the first few hours. I didn't "get it." I didn't play games this way. I've played difficult action games, like Ninja Gaiden, Devil May Cry and Otogi, and enjoyed them. But Demon's Souls is different, requiring a unique mindset—and, in my case, some help from the Demon's Souls community. Eventually, pain gave way to pleasure as I learned to appreciate the game's strict rule set, ultimately becoming absorbed by the game. You may hate Demon's Souls from start to finish for its difficulty. But I'd wager you'll come to appreciate it as I did.

Faces, Fonts & Frame Rates:

There are a handful of presentation issues holding back Demon's Souls, none of them game breaking, but worth mentioning. Despite Demon's Souls' overall beauty, it has some of the ugliest character faces I've seen. Character creation is a turn off, because most options look as monstrous as the demons themselves. The game's interface also has a few quirks, with no easy way to compare items from vendors with current equipment and an icon system for attributes that has its own unnecessary, confusing language. Finally, there are a few moments where Demon's Souls can't keep up with what's happening on screen. Nothing that impairs gameplay, but not pretty.

When I talk about Demon's Souls with some of my fellow players, I feel that we're in danger of sounding like a part of some cult—or, possibly worse, a group of addicts—as if we've gotten over the hurdle of viewing From Software's brilliant, visionary creation just for its sheer difficulty. And it is difficult. But it is also laden with a smart combat system, in which equipment and weapons matter greatly, for so many reasons. But having pushed past the fog of Demon's Souls, which meant spending well over 50 hours with the game, I'm happy to see it for what it is—one of the best PlayStation 3 games of the year and perhaps one of the smartest console role-playing games ever.

To be clear, however, Demon's Souls is not some orgiastic, blissful experience. It is not the type of game one may want to wind down with, less than "fun" in a normal video game sense. But it is a wholly engrossing, enjoyably solitary experience, if you've got the patience and the bravery to look into the fog and face what's inside.
Demon's Souls gets my vote for game of the year. It may not be the Online game of the year but it's an easy call for single player. (Bordelands for pure fun and MW2 for pure amazingness of the graphics/presentation) No game will make you think as much and not allow you to button smash your way though. If you desire a rewarding/challenging experience, Demon's Souls is for you. I agree with the reviewer that the first five hours or so (before you're even introduced to the Soul Economy) will test your meddle and resolved as it teaches you to rethink the way you play games. It's like switching from WoW to a real MMORPG. It may be painful at first while your brain comes back to life, having to actually think again, but if you make it through that stage, you'll be richly rewarded.

My only suggestion for Demon's Souls is to start out as the Royalty class. You get a mana regen ring which is a big help. The class system is totally open in Demon's Souls so you can be anything you want as you start to apply Soul Points so getting that ring will help as mana and health never regenerate without dying and returning to the Nexus unless you use grass/potions, etc. (also learn the control to target lock, press down (R3)
Kwonryu DragonFist
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Kwonryu DragonFist »

IS this a good game?

What game does it remind you of in gameplay?

And why would anyone want to play the Barbarian-Class?
Thanks to Thess
---xx0O0xx---
The best site known to man!
--++http://kwonryu.mybrute.com++--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Kwonryu DragonFist wrote:IS this a good game?

What game does it remind you of in gameplay?

And why would anyone want to play the Barbarian-Class?

Seriously Kwon, how can you ask such a stupid question after reading this thread? The game play, style, and even classes are laid out for you multiple times in this thread.
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

Oh god, been watching videos for this game, and it's the first time ever that I've wished I had a ps3. This game looks so great, why didn't it come out on pc or 360 :(
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I recently bought a PS3, and this game went on sale at amazon yesterday...ordered it, and now wish I would have just picked it up locally. The reviews and everything above should be a great help. thx.
Niffoni
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Niffoni »

Finally picking this up once I see a greatest hits copy.
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all. - Douglas Adams
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Best time to get a Greatest Hit game is right when they announce it. Stores usually drop the price then and you can pick up a non-red case copy which is much more visually appealing.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

finally got it today, its a lot of fun. the amazon reciept said greatest hits...so perhaps they are reprinting in the annoying red cases. the one they sent me was not a greatest hits case. i snagged it for $20 on amazon goldbox deal.