Nice job USC

What do you think about the sports world?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Nice job USC

Post by noel »

Yesterday, Petros Papadakis of the 'Petros and Money Show' here in LA talks about USC/UCLA and their issues. It's about 10 minutes into the show, and if you have time, please take a listen. I'd love to hear some reaction to it.

For those that don't know, Petros, here's a link to his Wiki. Initially, his voice grates on you, but he's a REALLY good analyst.
Petros Papadakis (born June 16, 1977) is a former tailback and football team captain at the University of Southern California. He is currently a television personality and radio co-host of the "Petros and Money Show" (PMS) on KLAC-AM, ("AM 570") in Los Angeles, the station's afternoon drive-time program.[1]

Papadakis' family has long-held ties to USC Sports. Petros' father John, and his brother Taso both played football at USC. Petros' maternal grandfather, Dr. Ernest Schultz, played basketball for the Trojans.
Reading the above, you might think he's a USC honk, but I think you'll have huge respect for him once you hear what he has to say.
Last edited by noel on October 9, 2007, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Fash
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: sylblaydis

Post by Fash »

is there supposed to be a link to the audio with that?
Fash

--
Naivety is dangerous.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Yes! Sorry. The link is now in the above post.

Btw, it's not a bad show day to day if you're stuck somewhere and need to kill three hours. I podcast it and the Jim Rome show, and listen to it during work when I'm not stuck on the phone.

If you like, it you can listen to more here:
http://am570radio.com/cc-common/podcast ... CShows.xml

Oh btw, Sylvus they also talk a bit about App. State.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I was the one that said the Pac-10 gets no love from the media, as Booghaz pointed out.

I think USC only fell as far as 7 because 2 other top 5 teams lost, plus all the top 10 losses last week. I think it helped their drop a bit. I disagree that losing to a conference opponent is worse then losing to a Division 2 school though.

I also agree with Raistan. Polling makes all this mute anyway. We won't have a true champion, and this season proves anything could happen in a playoff format. Oh well.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Executive Summary prs.
- Ash
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Executive Summary:
Pete Carroll wants to control everything, and hasn't been able to replace the great coordinators/etc. that have left with people as good as he is. Hence USC sucks. They posted a lot of good statistics to support this as well. For example... USC's last 12 games, they're 9-3. Last 7 Pac-10 games, they're 4-3. "They might as well be Cal or Oregon or Georgia or anyone else playing big-time college football."

Karl Dorrell wants to control nothing and delegate everything to his coordinators but has not earned the right to do so.
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Thanks Noel!
- Ash
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Tyek wrote:I think USC only fell as far as 7 because 2 other top 5 teams lost, plus all the top 10 losses last week. I think it helped their drop a bit. I disagree that losing to a conference opponent is worse then losing to a Division 2 school though.
I disagree. Look at Wisconsin as an example. Yeah, I'll admit that the Big Ten isn't all that great this year, but Wisconsin didn't lose to Northwestern or Minnesota, they lost to Illinois, who aside from week one is a solid team, and now ranked (above Wisconsin). So for losing to an essentially ranked team they drop FOURTEEN spots to 19, when USC is part of the biggest upset in NCAA history to a horribly unranked team and only drop 8 (or 10 spots to 6 spots). I would understand if they beat everybody else into submission, but thats hardly the case.
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zamtuk wrote:
Tyek wrote:I think USC only fell as far as 7 because 2 other top 5 teams lost, plus all the top 10 losses last week. I think it helped their drop a bit. I disagree that losing to a conference opponent is worse then losing to a Division 2 school though.
I disagree. Look at Wisconsin as an example. Yeah, I'll admit that the Big Ten isn't all that great this year, but Wisconsin didn't lose to Northwestern or Minnesota, they lost to Illinois, who aside from week one is a solid team, and now ranked (above Wisconsin). So for losing to an essentially ranked team they drop FOURTEEN spots to 19, when USC is part of the biggest upset in NCAA history to a horribly unranked team and only drop 8 (or 10 spots to 6 spots). I would understand if they beat everybody else into submission, but thats hardly the case.

USC is on the west coast as well. It seems the pollsters always rush their weekly results for the west teams (with good and bad results). I think the polls should be released a day later to give people a chance to digest the games for that week.
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

I honestly think they should just wait like... 1-2 weeks before ranking the teams. What the fuck does the ranking mean before they play a game anyway? At least in the NFL, the preseason rankings are slightly more realistic because you have more consistency in ownership, coaching, and players year-to-year.
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

USC has obviously been more impressive than Wisconsin this season. I don't care what analogies there are, every voter in the country was waiting for a chance to drop Wisconsin because they're obviously crap.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Sueven wrote:USC has obviously been more impressive than Wisconsin this season. I don't care what analogies there are, every voter in the country was waiting for a chance to drop Wisconsin because they're obviously crap.
I don't know how much of it is "obvious". Both teams had similar results against Washington State, and Wisconsin lost to an underrated Illinois team that is now ranked #18, whereas USC's loss was to a bad Stanford team starting a very inexperienced QB. The only quality win that USC had was vs. Nebraska, which has since been exposed as a bit overrated. Unless I'm missing something?

Maybe Wisconsin shouldn't have been #5, but in that case USC shouldn't have been #2 either. I don't understand how an in-conference loss to a surging (now ranked) team with one of the best recruiting classes in the country this year makes you look comparatively worse than losing to a perennial also-ran whose only other victory to date is San Jose State. Then again, I'm not an admitted Big 10 hater...
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Ashur
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ashur »

Stop hating on San Jose State :)
- Ash
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

I agree with Noel, but would actually extend the first rankings to coincide with the first BCS poll. Even after 2-3 weeks, most teams have played a couple easy teams and possibly 1 decent team. By week 8 you have a clear picture of who is real and who is a product of a cheap schedule.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I don't know how good ASU is compared to the top ten teams but I really hope they beat Washington this weekend to setup a 7-0 Cal @ 7-0 ASU game on October 20th. That would knock another undefeated team from the list in a head to head matchup. It would be a shame to waste a good game like that with a loss the week before it takes place!

Right now, the lines for the games are:

Oregon State
Cal -14

Washington
Arizona State -12

College Lines:

http://www.bullz-eye.com/wagering/colle ... _lines.htm
Sueven
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Sueven »

Wisconsin's point differential: +44
USC's point differential: +81

I wasn't referring to any insights gleaned from looking at their schedules or results or stats though. I was referring to the obvious insights that you gain by just watching football games. For instance, Florida and Maryland are both 4-2 and Maryland has clearly won tougher games, but it would be stupid to argue that Maryland is as good a team as Florida because anyone who has watched both teams can tell you that it's obviously untrue. Both teams could finish the season with the same record and it still wouldn't make it true. Seriously, have you watched Wisconsin this year? They sure as hell don't look any better than Indiana, and Indiana's not ranked. Fuck man, Connecticut is undefeated and Connecticut sucks.
Sylvus wrote:Then again, I'm not an admitted Big 10 hater...
Suck my dick. USC belongs to the Pac Ten, you may have noticed me talking plenty of shit about them too. I'm a Big East / ACC fan. You're probably 1000 miles closer to USC than I am.
Avestan
Almost 1337
Almost 1337

Post by Avestan »

Go Card!
Winnow wrote:
masteen wrote:Auburn is no longer unranked, and will probably hover in the Top 25 the rest of the season. Stanford cannot make that claim. They're about 2 notches above App. State, athletically.
Stanford received a few votes in the latest polls. Stanford also has the highest academic standards of all the teams in question...not something you could say for Appalachian State.
Current

* Stanford University's undergraduate program is ranked fourth among national universities by U.S. News and World Report (USNWR).[26], [27]
* Stanford University is ranked second among world universities and second among universities in the Americas by Shanghai Jiao Tong University,[28] sixth among world universities in the THES-QS World University Rankings,[29][30], seventh among national universities by The Washington Monthly,[31] second among "global universities" by Newsweek,[32] and in the first-tier among national universities by The Center for Measuring University Performance.[33] Stanford University also participates in the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (NAICU)'s University and College Accountability Network (U-CAN).

Selectivity

Stanford is one of the most selective universities in the U.S. In 2006, Stanford's undergraduate admission rate was 10.8 percent, from a pool of 22,223 applicants—the lowest rate of undergraduate admission in the history of the university.[34]The acceptance rates at the university's law school (7.7 percent), medical school (3.3 percent), and business school (10 percent) are also among the lowest in the country. For the Class of 2011, Stanford admitted 10.29 percent of an undergraduate applicant pool of 23,956 students; the lowest percentage in University history.
Cut them some slack!

Pac-10 owns academically as well as athletically!

Top Universities in the country:
1. Princeton University (NJ)

2. Harvard University (MA)

3. Yale University(CT)

4. Stanford University(CA)

5. University of Pennsylvania

5. California Institute of Technology

7. Massachusetts Institute of Technology

8. Duke University(NC)

9. Columbia University(NY)

9. University of Chicago

11. Dartmouth College(NH)

12. Washington University in St. Louis

12. Cornell University(NY)

14. Brown University(RI)

14. Northwestern University(IL)

14. Johns Hopkins University(MD)

17. Rice University(TX)

17. Emory University(GA)

19. Vanderbilt University(TN)

19. University of Notre Dame(IN)

21. University of California—Berkeley *

22. Carnegie Mellon University(PA)

23. University of Virginia *

23. Georgetown University(DC)

25. University of California—Los Angeles *

25. University of Michigan—Ann Arbor *

27. University of Southern California

28. University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill *

28. Tufts University(MA)

30. Wake Forest University(NC)
Mark off your conferences top 30 national universities while combined with athletics.

Booya! Pac-10 again heads to the front of the pack.

Cal wins this one being the top public school (* marks public schools) and highest ranking.
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

Yea post their graduation rate, then come back and brag.

*Stanford isn't included in that. I think everyone with common sense will know Stanford is a great school, with hard luck for a football program. They are just in the same type of boat as Navy, Air Force, and Army schools.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Bring on the College Quiz Bowl!

...OK, Michigan can field a mean group of quiz nerds! I'll give you that!
Kilmoll the Sexy
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: bunkeru2k

Post by Kilmoll the Sexy »

actually numnut....the Big 10 won that 11 times in the years you listed. That is more times than your Slack 10 placed in the top 4....just in case you were counting (or able to count that high)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Kilmoll the Sexy wrote:actually numnut....the Big 10 won that 11 times in the years you listed. That is more times than your Slack 10 placed in the top 4....just in case you were counting (or able to count that high)
He can count, he just chooses to ignore anything that proves him wrong. Just like the wikipedia link he posted to show how dominant USC has always been. It pointed out how bad they sucked for around a decade.
Zamtuk
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zamtuk »

Actually the Big 10 won it 12 times. UW-Madison are the Badgers! I didn't bother counting the runner ups. Saw too many Big 10 schools at a small glance.
Fuck Michigan!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I know when I'm beat. I'm conceding the overall Quiz Bowl advantage to the Big Ten!

The questions must have been rigged to favor those that live on the East Coast. Stuff about hunting, Boston Yard, steel mills, etc.
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

Big 10 != East Coast
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Sylvus wrote:Big 10 != East Coast

People start talking funny east of the Rockies. I shouldn't have added "coast".

Dialects of the U.S.:

Unfortunately, people think I'm from Michigan/Minnesota when they hear my voice. I moved around a lot as a kid (Air Force bases) making my accent pretty bland but I guess an ex-wife from Illinois and a good friend from Michigan has tainted my voice. I must watch the movie Valley Girl for two weeks straight to correct this! OMG!

Cool dialect map though.
Asheran Mojomaster
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Asheran Mojomaster »

That dialect map is wrong. It puts Georgia and Florida together, wtf. Georgia has a strong southern accent, Florida does not at all.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Asheran Mojomaster wrote:That dialect map is wrong. It puts Georgia and Florida together, wtf. Georgia has a strong southern accent, Florida does not at all.
It was obviously made by someone on the West coast that doesn't know the difference :P
Raistin
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Raistin »

I think University of Chicago is apart of the Academic Big 10.

The University of Chicago was a co-founder of the conference and still maintains affiliation through the Committee on Institutional Cooperation.
So its a total of 15 Big 10 schools winning the Nerd Bowl!

BOOM VAGINA shot.