Kinect...

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: Kinect...

Post by Aslanna »

I own a Wii.. And a 360. And a PS3 (and PS2!). Oh and also a DS and a PSP. Diversity is a good thing. But when someone comes out claiming that the 360 is a failure it's pretty much hard not to respond because that individual is clearly delusional. Even with the clarification of "outside the US". I have never gotten the impression that the 360 was a 'failure' other than in oddball Japan where they have used panty vending machines.

If anyone needs to get back to reality it's miir. I don't think any sane person can say with a straight face that given overall sales no console this generation could be considered a failure. They all are doing, or have done, fairly well regardless of how the others are doing. Other than that it's just a worthless fanboi pissing contest trying to claim one is superior to the other.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Really Japans deal is that they don't like Americans (except the women, they LOVE american cock). To clarify further, they are fine with us, and even intrigued by us, but as soon as one of us or one of our products actually goes to Japan - they lose their sense of humor.

If the 360, exactly as it is was rebranded with Sony or Nintendo's name on it, I can guarantee you it would fly off the shelves there.

Handheld consoles sell great there for a reason. Japanese people are on the go a lot, between work and social life, the average person there between probably 15 and 35 spends very little time at home. They take trains everywhere, and talking on your phone on the train there is equivalent to taking a shit in the middle of a crowded NYC subway car. Because of this, handheld games, and recently iPhones are huge there, its something to do on those long train rides.

All that said, the 360 is clearly superior.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: Handheld consoles sell great there for a reason. Japanese people are on the go a lot, between work and social life, the average person there between probably 15 and 35 spends very little time at home. They take trains everywhere, and talking on your phone on the train there is equivalent to taking a shit in the middle of a crowded NYC subway car. Because of this, handheld games, and recently iPhones are huge there, its something to do on those long train rides.
The iPad is also doing very well in Japland which bodes well for iPhone/iPad gaming...you already see a lot of Japanese games creeping into the iPhone/iPad. You've got to consider the iPhone (and iPad) serious competition for portable gaming...some of the resent RPGs released for the iPhone/iPad are outstanding:
Still don’t think the iPhone is a gaming platform?

According to Appmodo, the iOS game Infinity Blade has grossed $1.6 million since its launch last week, on Dec. 9.

Named IGN’s iPhone Game of the Year, Infinity Blade allows users to improve their characters and earn new battle gear as they fight through 3D castles.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Holy shit. I came here to post on your new iPad thread about how Godly Infinity Blade is. I clicked this thread first to see what was going on and there it is :p

Seriouusly. Infinity Blade is fantastic. It's like I have a PS3 in my hands. (it still has a little slow down and the loading times could be better, hence PS3 comparison lol)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:I own a Wii.. And a 360. And a PS3 (and PS2!). Oh and also a DS and a PSP. Diversity is a good thing. But when someone comes out claiming that the 360 is a failure it's pretty much hard not to respond because that individual is clearly delusional. Even with the clarification of "outside the US". I have never gotten the impression that the 360 was a 'failure' other than in oddball Japan where they have used panty vending machines.

If anyone needs to get back to reality it's miir. I don't think any sane person can say with a straight face that given overall sales no console this generation could be considered a failure. They all are doing, or have done, fairly well regardless of how the others are doing. Other than that it's just a worthless fanboi pissing contest trying to claim one is superior to the other.
I was just responding with my own troll to Fair's troll about the 360 dominating and Kinect outselling Move 5-1.

The 360 is doing embarassingly bad in Japan considering the amount of $$ and effort Microsoft put into buying Japanese exclusives and promoting the hell out of the 360 over there.... at the same time pretty much ignoring the EU market.
While they are not doing that bad in EU, it's pretty obvious they squandered a HUGE opportunity by focusing on the US and Japanese markets.
Of the 3 markets, the 360 kicked ass in NA, failed miserably in Japan and missed the boat on EU.

The PS3 is not without it's missed opportunities.
They got beat to the market by the 360 and Wii, the starting price point was too high, they had to focus on the Blu ray/HD DVD battle and they had a real shortage of top shelf exclusives for the first few years. After a slow first 2 years, the PS3 has had the strongest growth and is trending to be the strongest console of this gen.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: mAcK 624
PSN ID: mAcK_624
Wii Friend Code: 7304853446448491

Post by Siji »

Aslanna wrote:
miir wrote:
According to NPD, Kinect outsold Move 5 to 1 last month.
As of Dec 1, the Move had sold 4.1 million units.
So roughly 1.5 million in the month of November.
I think your numbers are off.
Wasn't the difference was that Kinect sales were actual sales and Move numbers included 'sales' to retailers? Honestly I didn't really pay attention but I remember seeing something along those lines.
That's correct. So lots of Move units in stores, but in homes? Not so much. Meanwhile the Kinect is often hard to find and by all predictions will be completely sold-out before Christmas hits. We don't even have to discuss which device has the most potential for cool things as time goes on.

I don't agree the PS3 sucks as it's a fine BR player, it plays both Uncharted and Ratchet/Clank very well. Other than these things I don't personally see why people consider it better than the 360. Because PSN is free? Ok, it is.. but compared to Live PSN kind of sucks. Because it doesn't have RRoD? Ok, previously true.. but the new 360 has a lower failure rate than the PS3 from what I've read. Because it has a web browser built-in? Ok, it does.. but who browses the web with a console on the TV? It's in the same useless ballpark as Facebook and Twitter on Live. What else am I missing? I'd love to know so I felt better about my $300 blue-ray player purchase.

Now compare the PS2 to an XBOX and I'll take the PS2 any day of the week. If the PS3 still played PS2 games, I'd probably use it every day.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Siji wrote: If the PS3 still played PS2 games, I'd probably use it every day.
Mine does! Yet another thing Sony robbed it's users of early on (while screwing initial PS3 owners out of rumble on their crappy controllers) what a bunch of dipshits.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

miir wrote:I was just responding with my own troll to Fair's troll about the 360 dominating and Kinect outselling Move 5-1.
Obviously a troll..
"Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter points out that Microsoft's Kinect outsold Sony's Move by 5 to 1 at retail in the month of November. In his latest report, Pachter said that "about half" of Xbox 360s sold during the month (Microsoft reported 1.37 million Xbox 360s) were part of Kinect bundles, while PlayStation Move bundle sales were "about one fifth" of total PS3 sales for the month.

Sony has said that it has shipped 4.1 million Move units worldwide, but did not disclose how many have sold. While it may have been a record month for the game industry and - in particular - Microsoft, Sony has seen better times."
"In the never ending battle of Microsoft versus Apple, score one point for the PC giant. Many consumers thought that Microsoft was making bold claims when they said the Kinect would outsell the iPad by moving over 1 million units in 28 days. Kinect sold that amount in about 1/3 of the time - just 10 days."
"Though Kinect does have some competition from Sony's answer: PlayStation Move. The motion sensing unit that connects to the PS3 sold 1.5 million units within the first month of release just across Europe, according to Bloomberg. Overall, Move has received more favorable reviews than the Kinect, but the Xbox 360 is a more popular gaming console, selling 44.6 million units worldwide to Playstation 3's 41.6 million as of the end of September 2010."
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

but the Xbox 360 is a more popular gaming console, selling 44.6 million units worldwide to Playstation 3's 41.6 million as of the end of September 2010."
With a 6-7 million lead headstart on sales.
So since the PS3 was released, it's outsold the 360 by nealy 4 million.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Someone keep trolling miir. His responses are truly fascinating.

To the cloud!

--
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

I already asked the simple question of why the PS3 is considered better by anyone. There's his chance to tell us all why we're wrong.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Because it only does... everything. Duh.

Speaking of... Keven Butler ads, while humorous 2 years ago, are getting pretty stale these days.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Siji wrote:I already asked the simple question of why the PS3 is considered better by anyone. There's his chance to tell us all why we're wrong.
Many people consider the PS3 exclusives to be better. If you're not a FPS fan, the PS3 is a better console for you.
PS3 doesnt charge a monthly fee for online features... hell, you need to pay for Live gold to even use fucking Nextflix on your xbox.
The PS3 has a built-in Blu ray player and much more reliable hardware.

Sony doesn't nickel and dime Playstation users by making them pay to play online, charging $100 for a wireless adapter (which they mysteriously added to the new model without jacking the price) and charging 4X as much for a replacement hard drive.

By the way, a PS3 with a SSD is sick.
Too bad you can't put one in a 360. :(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
Sony doesn't nickel and dime Playstation users by making them pay to play online, charging $100 for a wireless adapter (which they mysteriously added to the new model without jacking the price)
(

Since the new 360 models have Wireless built in and are quieter and more reliable than PS3s, we should probably address the present consoles unless you want the whole rumble fiasco, taking away key features such as PS2 backwards compatibility, linux, poor frame rates, etc etc brought up again
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

more reliable than PS3s
:roll: :roll:
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:By the way, a PS3 with a SSD is sick.
Too bad you can't put one in a 360. :(
To bad it's mostly pointless in a PS3 since for most games you can't install them to the hard drive so you're stuck playing them off the slow ass Blu-Ray drive.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

quieter
Well some of the old 360s sound like a fucking shop vac.
I sure as hell hope they would make them quieter.
It only took them 4 and a half years to fix the noise issues.

Every PS3 sold since 2007 has been whisper quiet.
I guess I could have also used that as an example why the PS3 is better.
Last edited by miir on December 15, 2010, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:To bad it's mostly pointless in a PS3 since for most games you can't install them to the hard drive so you're stuck playing them off the slow ass Blu-Ray drive.
I laughed my ass off at the reviews of GT5 claming 60-90 second load times.
With a conventional HD and a game install, those load times are around 45 seconds.
On a SSD, they are 15.

More and more games are being released with the option of a hard drive install.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote: Every PS3 sold since 2007 has been whisper quiet.
Not true on the whisper quiet part.

My PS3 is quieter than my original 360 but the PS3 does heat up quickly and is loud enough to be annoying for sure after a few minutes. The new Slim xbox is pretty much noiseless no matter what it's doing, including accessing the drive.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:
Aslanna wrote:To bad it's mostly pointless in a PS3 since for most games you can't install them to the hard drive so you're stuck playing them off the slow ass Blu-Ray drive.
I laughed my ass off at the reviews of GT5 claming 60-90 second load times.
With a conventional HD and a game install, those load times are around 45 seconds.
On a SSD, they are 15.

More and more games are being released with the option of a hard drive install.
A partial HD install maybe. When Sony incorporates it into the OS like Microsoft does let me know.

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Winnow wrote:
miir wrote: Every PS3 sold since 2007 has been whisper quiet.
Not true on the whisper quiet part.

My PS3 is quieter than my original 360 but the PS3 does heat up quickly and is loud enough to be annoying for sure after a few minutes. The new Slim xbox is pretty much noiseless no matter what it's doing, including accessing the drive.
I guess you didn't read the 'Since 2007' part.
If your has PS2 backwards compatibility, it's a 2006 model.

I think my TV is actually louder than my PS3.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

Kinect up to 4 million+ according to some estimates. Apparently 60% of those are the Console/Kinect bundle.

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/8307 ... worldwide/
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I can't remember when I got mine, but I'm 99% sure it was after 2007. It's no where near as loud as my old 360 was, but it's loud enough to annoy me at times. I have to actually switch it off on the back when I go to sleep or it will bug me and keep me up.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

I got my PS3 in Sept 2009 and it's barely audible. What I can hear though is the plastic creaking slightly when the thing warms up to operating temperature and creaking again once it starts cooling down.

Those are nowhere near enough to even be be an irritation though.

My old 360 was a jet engine. This is the one I traded in towards the 360S. My Jasper unit (those were the last rev of the original form factor right?) is really quiet once the game is installed to the 120GB HDD and my 360S is on par with the PS3 as far as noise goes to the naked ear.

Frankly I have no complaints with any of my consoles
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Animalor wrote:I got my PS3 in Sept 2009 and it's barely audible. What I can hear though is the plastic creaking slightly when the thing warms up to operating temperature and creaking again once it starts cooling down.
Wow! How cheap can they be with the plastic!?

My PS3 is noticeably loud after about 5 minutes. I don't care what generation it was. It sucks.
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

miir wrote:
Siji wrote:I already asked the simple question of why the PS3 is considered better by anyone. There's his chance to tell us all why we're wrong.
Many people consider the PS3 exclusives to be better. If you're not a FPS fan, the PS3 is a better console for you.
Since exclusive game tastes depend on the players, it's not worth debating. PS3 being better for non-FPS fans I disagree with. What does the PS3 have in non-FPS that's so wonderful? Button smashing God of War? Uncharted is one. This statement was true for the PS2 vs XBOX time period certainly as PS2 had some kick ass exclusives. If you're not talking exclusives most games are technically superior on the 360. You can squabble all you want about "by how much" if you want, but they both cost the same.
miir wrote:PS3 doesnt charge a monthly fee for online features
You're comparing apples and oranges. Live is superior to PSN in every way except cost. You're comparing driving a Lexus to riding the bus. Live patching process is superior, Live downloading is superior, Live marketplace is superior, etc. Why don't you go browse the PSN marketplace on your computer wherever you are, buy something and add it to your download queue so it automatically starts downloading the next time you turn on the PS3. Exactly. But at least it's free, right? And you've got PSN Home which you know, Sony would never nickle and dime you to death for stuff inside of.
miir wrote:you need to pay for Live gold to even use fucking Nextflix on your xbox
You can use your iPod on the bus for free, but you've got to buy the Lexus if you want to pipe it through the car speakers.
miir wrote:The PS3 has a built-in Blu ray player and much more reliable hardware.
Blu-ray is the only thing you've brought up where the PS3 wins. PS3 hardware being more reliable is no longer true.
miir wrote:Sony doesn't nickel and dime Playstation users by making them pay to play online, charging $100 for a wireless adapter and charging 4X as much for a replacement hard drive.
You're really grasping at straws here. Since you brought it up.. PSN vs Live comparison was already addressed. Wireless adapter is no longer a valid argument. As for jacked up prices.. have you priced replacement controllers for the PS3 lately? Have you priced what a complete Move system costs vs the one time/ONE item purchase of a Kinect? Are you honestly implying Sony doesn't jack up the prices of peripherals as much as any other company? Is this your argument to try persuading someone that the PS3 is superior? Really? Have you priced a Sony electronic item versus the same item by ANY other company? 99% of the time ANY Sony product is much more expensive. Sometimes deservedly so (I'm definitely not a Sony hater).
miir wrote:By the way, a PS3 with a SSD is sick.
PS3's needing SSD to be more enjoyable is indeed sick.

Here's a fun twist. List the things Microsoft has removed from the XBOX 360 since its release. Now list the things Sony removed from the PS3 since its release. Now list the things Microsoft has added to the XBOX 360 and Live, then list the things Sony has added to the PS3 and PSN.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo, God of War... I've already made this point in another thread.
Take away shooters from the 360 exclusives and you have a pretty weak list of games.

Apples to apples.
If you want to play games online on the 360, you have to pay.
If you want to play games online on the PS3, you do not.

Yea maybe xbox live is better because people pay millions of fucking dollars a month for it. :roll:
But to be honest, the online play on PSN is good enough.. and it's free. I think a lot of people would agree.

The PS3 does not 'need' a SSD to be 'more enjoyable' but you definately need to learn how to read. :)

List the things Microsoft has removed from the XBOX 360 since its release.
Nothing... because like Apple, they fuck the consumer by adding new shit every year (that should have been part of the original product) to make them think they need to get the latest and greatest.
But I guess that just proves that the American consumer likes to be treated like shit :)

If the 360 is so great, why is it being outsold by the Wii and PS3?
Why does the PS3 show steady growth year after year?
The bottom line is that Sony is doing a lot of things right...
Last edited by miir on December 16, 2010, 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Buy both consoles and exclusives mean nothing. I actually think a lot of people own both so making a platform exclusive doesn't really make sense anymore other than for the developers who are tied to Sony or Microsoft and have no choice. I can't believe people keep going on about console exclusives. Move on!

--
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Gears and Halo sold a lot of fucking 360s.
I'm pretty sure MS would disagree with you on the importance of exclusives.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo, God of War... I've already made this point in another thread.
And it's still not true. I don't have time right now to correct you on your many errors, but the game one is pretty easy. Uncharted is excellent and it's a jewel in the PS3's crown. But I don't think LBP is anything extra special at all. You obviously do not know what other games exist in the 360 library if you think it's all FPS games. Xbl alone has enough exclusive content alone to prove you wrong. You list GT for PS3 and you somehow forget about Forza (even though Forza3 is consistently rated higher than GT5)? Let's also not forget that pretty much every single multi platform game, without fail, runs better on the 360.

You just need to get a 360 and see what you've been missing out on. I own both. I enjoy what they both offer, but the 360 is superior in all the ways that matter to me as a gamer, from online experience and game performance/selection to superior controller and all the little things in-between.

And you're seriously trying to use the fact that you have to pay for xbox gold as a negative? Hey, guess what? You get what you pay for. Sony is slowly learning this and eventually it's fanbois will too!

I have plenty more if you insist on going down this path, but I gotta run for now!
Siji
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Siji »

Speaking of Kinect.. does anyone know if you can do the EA Sports Active 2 without the heart rate monitor? Be nice if it would read my Polar.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo, God of War... I've already made this point in another thread.
Take away shooters from the 360 exclusives and you have a pretty weak list of games.
Without a doubt Uncharted is one of my favorite games of this console generation but you can't take away shooters from the 360 and keep Uncharted for ps3, it's just as much a shooter as Halo or Gears of War. Sure, it has a lot more to offer than just shooting but the majority of that game is shooting with platforming inbetween more shooting, in a very pretty and entertaining package.
Plus, why do you always have to say take away the shooters? What is wrong with shooters? There is nothing wrong with doing shooters well, I'll let the sales numbers do the talking for that one.

I still don't understand why this argument has to happen every few months. They are both great systems, do you just like being ganged up on, Miir?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I just like watching the xbox fanboys get all butthurt and defensive when I point out that the 360 is the worst selling console of this generaiton. :)
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:I just like watching the xbox fanboys get all butthurt and defensive when I point out that the 360 is the worst selling console of this generaiton. :)
You have to grasp at any positive sales data you can find because that's the only thing that even comes close to matching up with the 360. So, the PS3, with all of those goofy Japan only games that the rest of the world doesn't care about and could't play even if they wanted to, sells better than a non Japanese console in Japan... Amazing!
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

miir wrote:I just like watching the xbox fanboys get all butthurt and defensive when I point out that the 360 is the worst selling console of this generaiton. :)
Where is that info coming from? I just spent ten minutes googling this and everything I saw on many websites say that the 360 has outsold the ps3 world wide. Perhaps I'm not good at this googling? You have this word, "googling"?

I have worked part time at Gamestop (mostly for the discount, company sucks!) for three years and I can tell you right now 9/10 people who shop there prefer the 360. In that time I have literally only personally sold about ten ps3s, if even. I can't even begin to guess of how many dozens and dozens of 360s I have sold. Every day I sell a 360. I haven't even sold a single move item yet! If a game comes out for both consoles, there might be five to ten people buying it on ps3 with dozens buying it on 360. We don't even have midnight releases for ps3 exclusives.

Perhaps it's just my area but my short research seems to suggest otherwise...just sayin. I'm not saying the 360 is better, although I own both and play my 360 a hell of a lot more than my ps3, I'm just saying I don't think the 360 is anywhere near as bad as you seem to imply it is.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So Microsoft spent millions promoting the 360 in Japan, bought all those JRPG exclusives to try and break a market that they don't even care about?

That's a fine example of fanboy logic. :lol:

Where is that info coming from? I just spent ten minutes googling this and everything I saw on manywebsites say that the 360 has outsold the ps3 world wide.
Look at the sales figures for the past 4 years.
The 360 had a 12 month and 7 million headstart on the PS3.
Since the release of the PS3, it has sold 4 million more than the 360.

The 360s success is very much a US thing.
In the rest of the world, it's a distant 3rd behind the Wii and PS3.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

I don't see anyone butthurt or defensive. I see a bandwagon full of people frustrated by your bullshit and completely incorrect information about anything concerning the 360. Simply repeating the same lies over and over frustrates people that know better.

Let's break some things down.

First off, there have been no true failures this generation (other than the PSPGo). When I say that the PS3 is disappointing, I am comparing it to last gen where it easily dominated the market (and with good reason). Both Nintendo with it's Wii and Miscrosoft with it's 360 have severely cut into Sony's pie, forcing the once dominate company into 3rd place. The PS3 is dead last in a market where it was #1 by a long shot last gen. The console is good. It's exclusives are good. I like my PS3. However, none of that can counter the fact that Sony has lost significant ground this generation and I would argue they continue to get outclassed and outdone whenever the opportunity presents itself. The motion controller being the latest example.

The same logic is true with GT5. That series has been unquestionably #1 for well over a decade. The game is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. The disappointment lay in the fact that not only is it no longer the #1 technical racer out there, it has actually reviewed less favorably than it's chief rival and relative newcomer Forza Motorsports. GT5's NPD sales were in 8th place, with 400k sales (but 1.1 million worldwide), which is still great for a niche game. In North America it didn't even double the debut sales of Heavy Rain! All the while, Forza 4 is gearing for a 2011 release and it looks to put ever more nails into GT's coffin, solidifying it's position as the new #1 console racing sim. In a perfect world, GT6 will look at what Forza 4 does and include it's improvements and build upon them. However, they didn't do it with Forza 3. If they just took turns being #1 every other year, fans would reap the benefits. But when the latest in the GT series fails to even equal last years Forza, that's a disappointment. That's the reason it keeps showing up on people's list of disappointing games.
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

http://nexgenwars.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars
http://www.vgchartz.com/#Worldwide Totals
http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_12 ... PD_Results
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Worldwide
http://dlb-network.com/2010/05/worldwid ... -unveiled/

I can go on, plenty more out there, and I realize a lot of this info is estimates since only the companies know for sure, and some of this data is a few months old, but really looks like the 360 has outsold the ps3 worldwide in the last 4 years, sorry man! I personally think the ps3 will outsell it eventually but not there yet, eh?

But again, if you have better info from better sources, I'd love to see it for my own curiousity. :)
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
I don't see anyone butthurt or defensive. I see a bandwagon full of people frustrated by your bullshit and completely incorrect information about anything concerning the 360. Simply repeating the same lies over and over frustrates people that know better.
You mean like all you motherfuckers keep doing in the FF threads? Yeah, thought so.
Fairweather Pure wrote: Let's break some things down.

First off, there have been no true failures this generation (other than the PSPGo). When I say that the PS3 is disappointing, I am comparing it to last gen where it easily dominated the market (and with good reason). Both Nintendo with it's Wii and Miscrosoft with it's 360 have severely cut into Sony's pie, forcing the once dominate company into 3rd place. The PS3 is dead last in a market where it was #1 by a long shot last gen. The console is good. It's exclusives are good. I like my PS3. However, none of that can counter the fact that Sony has lost significant ground this generation and I would argue they continue to get outclassed and outdone whenever the opportunity presents itself. The motion controller being the latest example.

The same logic is true with GT5. That series has been unquestionably #1 for well over a decade. The game is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. The disappointment lay in the fact that not only is it no longer the #1 technical racer out there, it has actually reviewed less favorably than it's chief rival and relative newcomer Forza Motorsports. GT5's NPD sales were in 8th place, with 400k sales (but 1.1 million worldwide), which is still great for a niche game. In North America it didn't even double the debut sales of Heavy Rain! All the while, Forza 4 is gearing for a 2011 release and it looks to put ever more nails into GT's coffin, solidifying it's position as the new #1 console racing sim. In a perfect world, GT6 will look at what Forza 4 does and include it's improvements and build upon them. However, they didn't do it with Forza 3. If they just took turns being #1 every other year, fans would reap the benefits. But when the latest in the GT series fails to even equal last years Forza, that's a disappointment. That's the reason it keeps showing up on people's list of disappointing games.
Your logic here is flawed. In no way does what has happened with GT5 indicate it's a sub par game, a let down, or inferior to Forza. The only thing it indicates is peoples unreasonable expectations and complete ignorance to development. People expected this game to deliver more than any game ever could because it "took ten years to come out lolz", nevermind the fact that the whole 8-10 years thing is complete uninformed bullshit, as I've already pointed out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sticking up for Miir here.. he's a filthy Sony loving Canadian ;) but some of you around here have a seriously warped reality you live in when it comes to video games.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

How about if I word it yet another way...

The GT series has never even had a series to compare it with since it was always been on a whole other level. Now, it has been surpassed in many people's eyes.

Note that I never once called it a bad game, so I don't know why you keep saying that.

EDIT: And I know you're not sticking up for Miir. No one is.
Last edited by Fairweather Pure on December 16, 2010, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Dakanaf wrote:http://nexgenwars.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars
http://www.vgchartz.com/#Worldwide Totals
http://www.planetxbox360.com/article_12 ... PD_Results
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Worldwide
http://dlb-network.com/2010/05/worldwid ... -unveiled/

I can go on, plenty more out there, and I realize a lot of this info is estimates since only the companies know for sure, and some of this data is a few months old, but really looks like the 360 has outsold the ps3 worldwide in the last 4 years, sorry man! I personally think the ps3 will outsell it eventually but not there yet, eh?

But again, if you have better info from better sources, I'd love to see it for my own curiousity. :)
PS3 - 11.74
360 - 10.73

PS3 - 12.97
360 - 10.23

360 - 10.98
PS3 - 9.92

360 - 7.85
PS3 - 7.7

Total
PS3 - 42.33
360 - 39.79

http://www.vgchartz.com/hw_annual_summary.php

This year will be close with the 360 having a really strong Q4, but it's unlikely that it will close the overall gap on the PS3.
So since it's release 4 years ago, the PS3 has outsold the 360.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

It's still in last place, worldwide.

Also, game sales :lol:

PS3 isn't even in the same ballpark as the 360.

Are you done yet?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yea only because the 360 outsold the PS3 when it didn't exist. :lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Ken to Mahou to Gakuen Mono 2G JAP PS3
Gundam Musou 3 JPN JB PS3
Pachi Para 16 Gingira Paradise 2 JPN JB PS3
Remy no Oishii Restaurant JB PS3
Hokuto Musou International JPN PS3

You're right! PS3 has some awesome exclusives! And that's just the recent ones. I bet you could come up with even more!
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

miir wrote:Yea only because the 360 outsold the PS3 when it didn't exist. :lol:

The PS3 didn't exist when Call of Duty: Black Ops came out in November of 2010?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Gundam Mousou 3 is not a PS3 exclusive, dumbass.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fairweather Pure wrote:
The PS3 didn't exist when Call of Duty: Black Ops came out in November of 2010?
Oh so you want to play the game where you take specific weeks/months where console A outsold console B and transpose those samples to reflect overall sales trends?

oooookay
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Isn't it strange how everyone who disagrees with you also owns both consoles? It's obvious you're the delusional "fanboy" in this scenario.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Now that we've established Miir as a PS3 fanboi, lets get back to Kinect!

Check out this proof of concept Video Chat using Kinect.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/16/kinec ... ideo-chat/

Ignore the quality of the image. Fine tuned, and perhaps a Kinect generation later, it will be easy to have 3D video chat, even 360 chat with multiple kinects. Very cool stuff for those far away from relatives that want the most realistic interaction with their chat partners.

The part about the virtual surroundings is cool too. So, either use your own room or create....a holodeck!

semi nws
[Show]
Sylvus
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: mp72

Post by Sylvus »

It seems like you're arguing in the wrong units. You keep mentioning the "velocity" (how many are currently being sold this month/week/day/year) at which consoles are being sold whereas others are mentioning "distance" (total number sold).

What are there more of, right now at this second, in peoples' homes: 360 or PS3? That console has outsold the other.

I'm sure a lot more people saw Inception than Avatar in the movie theater this year, does that mean that Inception outsold Avatar?
"It's like these guys take pride in being ignorant." - Barack Obama

Go Blue!