Server still down?

All discussion moved to Video Game General Discussion
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Server still down?

Post by noel »

?

18:13 PST atm... anyone in? I can't even get to server select.

Also, as stable as the server has been, Smed is an ass for making his people work on Easter.
Oh, my God; I care so little, I almost passed out.
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

they're not up. Two servers show but one is down and the other you can't get on even though it shows it available.
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

Just got my CD and d/l'ed all the patches, are servers still down?
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

This thread is from yesterday so... NOT SURE! ><
Vetiria
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Vetiria »

I just got my Cd's as well, and it won't connect to the login server. So probably so.
Akaran_D
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Akaran_D »

Installed my CD's today aswell.. been down all day so far, bloody thing.. chat server just went down too. Hopefully that's a sign of a building wide reboot, but I am not countong on it.
Akaran of Mistmoore, formerly Akaran of Veeshan
I know I'm good at what I do, but I know I'm not the best.
But I guess that on the other hand, I could be like the rest.
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

Dev posted like half an hour ago saying servers were coming up shortly.
Blackwind
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Blackwind »

Servers up
Shanter
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Shanter »

I keep getting dropped trying to get in, and Auraxis is locked atm. Got in the world for a couple minutes and tried the VR stuff, pretty nice except I keep flying into trees :twisted:
Kargyle
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Kargyle »

Just got my CD's yesterday. What server should I jump in tonight? I plan to spend an hour or so going through some of the vehicles to see what I like, but after that I'd like to go make some enemies dead.
The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion. - Thomas Paine
Dregor Thule
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Xathlak
PSN ID: dregor77

Post by Dregor Thule »

So much for getting to play tonight!

:cry:
Mawafu
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

Post by Mawafu »

It's suppose to come up "soon". So maybe in a few hours...
Blackwind
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Blackwind »

I'm really curious about all this server down server up stuff. :) If they intend on going live on schedule, may 19th. I'd think they had their code pretty much complete by now. The servers I can understand needing a significant amount of tweeking but sheesh.
Ebumar
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Ebumar »

Thats why they're doing it now, so they can get most of it into the stress test before release. I personally don't think they will hit their mark, though.
Blackwind
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Blackwind »

I don't either. :) I have to say while I love this game...I will not pay a monthly fee for it at present. It's a slightly elevated version of Tribes. I'm curious as to what hardware they are running these clusters on. Sun Enterprise 6500's would be nice. :roll:
noel
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by noel »

Just tuning a desktop PC for perfection in gaming can take hours. Tuning a clustered server, connected to a backend database, with 3000+ users accessing the server across the Internet 24 hours a day is a monumental task. Hell, my IT department at work can't even keep a network of 1000 people running 24 hours a day, and I work for one of the largest networking companies in the country (our products are great, our IT department is not for a variety of reasons).

The game is largely complete. At this stage, the dev's are tuning netcode, getting accurate numbers for each server, and squashing the few remaining bugs/making final critical game balance adjustments. This game is at least 4 times as stable as Anarchy Online was 4 months after release.

Servers are running on Linux. Not sure what hardware platform, but I might be able to find out.

If you're not going to pay based on the gameplay itself, I have no issue with that, but if you're not going to play based on the server reliability during this phase of beta, I think you're expectations at the current stage are far too high. Load balancing is just that. Load balancing. It takes testing, and time. They've got a month, and the amount of work ahead of them is not all that much.

I personally think they'll scale back the target number of players per server to 3-4k, but we'll see.
Blackwind
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Blackwind »

No, gameplay. :) I can see spending the money for it as is now, for a one time purchase of the game itself...and playing on these servers after tuning etc, but I think the game needs a few more facets to really make it worthy of a monthly fee. Even then the monthly fee can not even come close to what we get charged for EQ.

EDIT:

Not a bad choice. Happen to know what flavor? Debian or Red Hat would make sense unless they have a stripped down custom job they are using. Actually a stripped down custom job would make a lot of sense actually.

I can't say I feel sorry for the Sony. :)

As a Director of Network Operations I have well over 3000 users running through two clustered enviroments. One running Red Hat Advanced Server and the other running Windows 2000 Advanced server. Both tie into respective databases on the back end which is the core of our business. The entire business is E-Commerce centric so network access is critical throughout. Of course implementing a structure that can support such fast and detailed throughput and info is key. That I can understand them having issues with but something I thought would be ironed out by now. Anarchy Online was just stupid. I basicly paid 2 months to be IN a beta. :lol: