The Official NextBox Thread!

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Re: The Official NextBox Thread!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote: In fact, only a handful of PS4 exclusives are left that won't be on PC because Microsoft allows one price for both Xbox/PC.
Not quite sure what that means. What does price have to do with anything?

2017 is chock full of PS4 exclusives. Other than Crackdown 3, which will probably be a Scorpio release title, what does XBO have? Most of their recent ones, that haven't been cancelled, have disappointed.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The only reason to get a PS4 Pro (lol..."Pro") these days is for the few decent exclusives since Sony are douchebags and don't put their games on the best platform option which is PC. With Microsoft you will be able to play their games on the more powerful Scorpio as well as the even more powerful PC if you are a PC enthusiast and want the very best quality when gaming.

For controllers you can play on the ancient joystick layout (even Nintendo traditionalist idiots figured this out) or use a more modern designed controller or ANY controller on PC for the Xbox/PC option.

So for your 60.00 you can buy a game for the least powerful of the three PS4 "Pro" or pay the same 60.00 and play a game on both the more powerful Scorpio or most powerful platform PC. Since games like Red Dead won't be on PC, at least initially, and will fully tax the consoles, Scorpio is the answer to that question as well. (third party non PC games that are on both consoles) Sony is like Apple, trying to lock you into their platform. They certainly have the fancy commercials and an orchestra but they are failing in hardware. Outdated platformer designed controller, weak "Pro" console and an already incredibly underpowered PSVR system.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Could someone please translate this for me?

My question didn't even have anything to do with Pro or 'Scorpio' or even controllers! Much less Apple, ads, VR, or orchestras.

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

Aslanna wrote:Could someone please translate this for me?

My question didn't even have anything to do with Pro or 'Scorpio' or even controllers! Much less Apple, ads, VR, or orchestras.
translation is that you forgot that it was Winnow...
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

True. I should be grateful he didn't start talking about applesauce.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Snap Mode, that gimmick on the Xbox One that let you “snap” something else onto the side of your screen while you were watching a movie or playing a game, is no more. Microsoft is ditching the feature to make the console’s dash run faster.
There goes Microsoft.. Taking away yet another feature! Take take take.. What's next, USB ports?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:
Snap Mode, that gimmick on the Xbox One that let you “snap” something else onto the side of your screen while you were watching a movie or playing a game, is no more. Microsoft is ditching the feature to make the console’s dash run faster.
There goes Microsoft.. Taking away yet another feature! Take take take.. What's next, USB ports?
Apparently they're replacing it with some other multi tasking tool - although I wouldn't miss it anyway. I almost never use it, and I'd venture a guess that neither does most anyone.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

"We replaced Snap to improve multitasking, reduce memory use, improve overall speed, and free up resources."

Sounds good to me!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I haven't taken the time to post them but I'm seeing multiple "Xbox Live down again" articles on gaming/tech sites over the past several weeks. I see you don't mention them either.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I haven't taken the time to post them but I'm seeing multiple "Xbox Live down again" articles on gaming/tech sites over the past several weeks. I see you don't mention them either.
Yeah I stopped posting PSN network outtages awhile ago because there were so many. Xbox One being down is actually notable.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Microsoft meets expectations with $23.6B in revenue
Gaming division up 8-9 percent.

All aboard!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

While PlayStation 4 soars, the rest of Sony's business is stumbling. The company's mobile division saw revenue drop 32.7 percent year-over-year, from 1,128 billion yen to 759 billion yen. Some smart restructuring and "a focus on high value-added models" did, however, help the team swing from a 61.4 billion yen operating loss in 2016 to a 10.2 billion yen ($92 million) profit in 2017. Sony's Xperia X Performance was a total dud last year, priced too high and offering little over its flagship competition, which makes the feat all the more impressive. Hopefully the Xperia XZ Premium, with its 4K display and super slow-mo video camera, fares better.

Sony's camera sensors have always been a decent money-maker, however revenues fell from 684 billion yen in 2016 to 580 billion yen ($5.175 billion) in 2017. Profit dropped by 22.1 billion yen year-over-year to 47.3 billion yen ($422 million), due to foreign exchange rates and the knock-on effect of the 2016 Kumamoto earthquakes. Sony's movie and TV business was also poor, posting an 80.5 billion yen ($719 million) loss in 2016.

All told, Sony's financial results weren't too pretty.
Ah well, at least Playstation is selling well.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Xbox One users largely ignore backward-compatible Xbox 360 games
In the end, only about 1.5 percent of the more than 1.65 billion minutes of Xbox One usage time we tracked was spent on the 300+ backward-compatible Xbox 360 games, in aggregate. That translates to an average of just 23.9 minutes per sampled active Xbox One user spent on Xbox 360 games out of 1,526 average minutes of Xbox One usage during the sampling period.
While backward compatibility is a feature a lot of console owners seems to like having, it's not one that a lot of Xbox One owners seem to spend a lot of time using.
First off, before Winnow flips out, I'm not saying BC isn't something they shouldn't add if it can be easily accomplished so it's nice that XBO has it for those users who want it. More features are always better. Just stop acting like it's a must-have feature when most people don't seem to care.

I do believe if backwards compatibility was in there from day one it would have swayed more people to consider an XBO but at this point most people have moved on.

I'd be curious of the XBO users here how many have played a 360 game and how much total time they spend/spent playing those games. Unfortunately I think the sample size here would be too small.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Xbox One users largely ignore backward-compatible Xbox 360 games
While backward compatibility is a feature a lot of console owners seems to like having, it's not one that a lot of Xbox One owners seem to spend a lot of time using.
I do believe if backwards compatibility was in there from day one it would have swayed more people to consider an XBO but at this point most people have moved on.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if people use it. All that matters is if people think it's important. PS4 users think orchestras are important. I laugh at the misdirection but it works for Sony and that's all that matters.

It would have been more of an incentive to upgrade from 360 if it was available from the start.

From Xbox One on, and probably PS4 on, backward compatibility will be a given.

I expect Sony to announce something (PS5 or PS4-Layer Ultra Deluxe Pro ++) this E3 sort of like Microsoft announced Scorpio last E3 to try and retain customers over the next year. They have to have something more worthwhile than the lame Gold Slim console.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

My 10 year old nephew likes the BC because he can play the older games on their primary TV on the Xbone.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Sony doesn't need to 'retain' their customers they are doing just fine. People who jump ship though are stupid considering Sony will have their upgraded console, which will be more powerful than the Scorpio, 2 years later. It's just an endless cycle at this point. Personally I don't care. Even if Scorpio is more powerful that means jack shit to me. The games on PS4 are just fine for me. Plus I already own a PC more powerful than Scorpio. And since the games end up on PC as well.. What's the incentive for customers like me to buy an XBO? There isn't one. Then again MS gets paid either way so they don't care either. They should just get out of the console hardware market at this point.

The people who are whining about no BC of PS3 games on PS4 don't know how shit works. Due to the cell architecture, whether that was a good or bad thing is open to debate, it's not a simple task to emulate PS3 games on the PS4. However there should be no reason they can't introduce BC for PS1 and PS2 games. It's not a feature I care about but honestly there is zero reason Sony couldn't add it other than $$. Is it 'anti-consumer'? Possibly. But I can criticize hardware I choose even though Winnow can't. MS and Xbox are perfect in his eyes and can do no wrong!

Microsoft shouldn't be focusing on Sony at this point. If anything Microsoft needs to watch out for Nintendo outselling them with the Switch!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://www.businessinsider.com/xbox-one ... yan-2017-6
Xbox has a secret weapon that Sony's PlayStation completely dismisses
...on backward compatibility
That Sony seemingly misses this concept now is strange at best — this is a company that put backwards compatibility into every PlayStation home console with the exception of its most recent console, the PlayStation 4.

Things get even weirder when you see the rest of Ryan's answer to the question about backwards compatibility.

"I was at a 'Gran Turismo' event recently where they had PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS4 games, and the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?," he told Time Magazine.

To be completely clear, this is the head of PlayStation's global marketing and sales expressing that he doesn't understand why anyone would want to play classic PlayStation games — games that people grew up with, that hundreds of people worked to create, that hold a special place in the hearts of millions. Beyond being an outrageous thing to say from a public-relations perspective, it demonstrates a lack of understanding that reflects poorly on the entire PlayStation team at Sony.

Support for backwards compatibility won't turn around Microsoft's sales problem with the Xbox One, but it does set a strong foundation for the future of Xbox as a digital platform.

More importantly, Sony's lack of understanding the importance of such a service puts Microsoft in a position to reclaim the hearts and minds — and wallets — of game console buyers in the long term.
Wish Sony would take that approach to controllers..."why would anyone want to use an ancient layout controller with modern fps games?" The funny thing is the dualshock controller is perfect for those "ancient games" with the d-pad placement. Too bad they kept the ancient controller design while at the same time not embracing their past games which would actually take advantage of it. Classic Sony.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Whoever wrote that can keep dreaming. Microsoft will never reclaim my heart, mind, or (especially) wallet! Surely not because of some feature I, and apparently a large majority, have never cared about.

--
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft laid off Xbox support staff, in favor of volunteers

Xbox Ambassadors rewarded with prizes take over from paid staff who trained them
Good guy Microsoft. I thought they were swimming in money... They can't afford a few measly bucks to pay support staff? I guess not!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:
Microsoft laid off Xbox support staff, in favor of volunteers

Xbox Ambassadors rewarded with prizes take over from paid staff who trained them
Good guy Microsoft. I thought they were swimming in money... They can't afford a few measly bucks to pay support staff? I guess not!

3 Reasons Microsoft Will Hit $1T Market Cap 3 Years Before Alphabet
On May 29, Microsoft's market capitalization surpassed Google parent Alphabet's.

The reason is that CEO Satya Nadella is doing a better job of positioning Microsoft for growth than Alphabet's co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin.

Expectations of more rapid growth have propelled Microsoft shares up 43% in the year ending May 30, 2018, leaving Alphabet — its stock is up 8.2% during that time — in the dust.

At those rates, Microsoft's market capitalization will hit $1 trillion by May 2019 -- while Alphabet won't get there until May 2022. (I have no financial interest in the securities mentioned in this post).
Oh they have money! Lots of it! Up 43% market cap in the last year alone!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Fuckin Microsoft, man. How about starting some studios of your own instead of just buying them? Because you know.. That worked so great with Rare and a bunch of others you've thrown money at (and have since closed).
Microsoft acquires Wasteland maker inXile Entertainment
Microsoft acquires Obsidian Entertainment
Lame.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

They have bucketloads of cash. If Microsoft gets serious (and it looks like they are) about focusing on Xbox/PC online, they will put a dent in Sony's stronghold. Some also saying Microsoft is the new Apple with their fancy new Surface/PC products but I don't see it yet. Besides the pure power of IOS devices, I do see a decline in Apple's innovation.

The subscription Xbox online play (whatever it's called with Microsoft) is doing extremely well and getting high praise. Day one releases to subcribers that will get better and better as more quality development companies are acquired. Microsoft announced they are bringing this subscription service to the PC platform which is what I've been waiting for to try it out.

Microsoft has always been at the forefront of online stuff for console gaming. Xbox Online dominated and was way better than Sony's for years. Microsoft was ahead of it's time when Xbox One came out with their online models but that's exactly where everything is headed. Meanwhile, Sony takes years to make user name changes available and still doesnt fully grasp cross platform gaming. I love cross platform gaming. I mostly do it between IOS and Android but it would be important to me if I used consoles as well.

Microsoft has been doing good things and while some may like the lame flute playing and abstract E3 conferences that Sony puts on, Microsoft has been packing their conferences with non stop updates and games and clearly making moves to improve.

Without knowing exactly what's coming for next gen Xbox/PS consoles, I see things trending Microsofts direction right now. They have the online/subscription stuff figured out, and now they are rapidly swallowing up game developers starting with all the ones announced last E3. I'll pay $10 a month to play new games and all the old ones as opposed to $60 for one I play a few hours of and decide it's not that great. Games I actually buy would be through Steam anyway.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Report: Microsoft May Be Looking Into Acquiring a Major PlayStation Developer

The Article doesn't mention which developer but who cares...keep sucking up those developers for the way better Game Pass online model Microsoft offers.

Sony will only have Knack as an exclusive franchise pretty soon!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

It wouldn't surprise me. Microsoft doesn't know how to innovate or make anything on their own these days.

Regardless, buy all the studios you want Microsoft, there's nothing you can do that will get me back into the Xbox ecosystem.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I don't give a shit. All the developers they've bought so far have just been "meh", so it's not like they're going to have a ton of great games in development as a result of this.

I haven't used my Xbox in probably over a year at this point, and my Xbox Live has been cancelled for about as long. I honestly should just sell it, but for some reason I continue letting it be a decoration.

Sony would have to shit the bed big time next gen for me to go back to Xbox. And lose a ton more developers - most of the first party stuff on Xbox doesn't appeal to me (they still focus heavily on FPS games) - and I just don't see that big of a swing happening.

Also, while I don't discount how popular the games pass will be, and how many people will use it; it's not for me and won't factor into what consoles I do/don't buy. I'll continue to buy the games that I want individually, especially since I'm only buying a small fraction of the amount of games I bought in the past.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

A couple recent articles:

Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella just laid out the company's vision for its 'Netflix for games'
SEATTLE — "We describe it as, shorthand, 'Netflix for games'," Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella told journalists at an invitational editors meeting at Microsoft's headquarters on Monday.

Nadella was speaking about Microsoft's cloud ambitions outside of enterprise software and, more specifically, the company's ambitious push into video game streaming with Project xCloud.

The idea is simple: Play high-quality, blockbuster games on any device. Thus, "Netflix for games."

Rather than your device powering the game, a more powerful computer somewhere remote would power the game while you only have to stream it to your phone, game console, laptop, or whatever other device.
Game pass...Neflix for Games....buying up every developer under the sun....Microsoft/X-Box looking well set for next gen gaming.

Here's How Xbox And Microsoft Win The Next Console Generation
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I don't see it. Like I've said before, all the studios they've bought recently have made at BEST mediocre games. I'm also not interested in a game pass unless it's going to have every game from every developer on it the day they're released, and I can't imagine I'm anywhere near alone on that.

A lot of people have a limited amount of money for gaming, and if the game pass is just going to be Microsoft's first party stuff, I can't see them choosing to spend a chunk of that limited money on a bunch of mediocre games and Halo 49/Gears of War 18.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:I'm not saying it can't/won't happen, but I don't see it. Like I've said before, all the studios they've bought recently have made at BEST mediocre games. I'm also not interested in a game pass unless it's going to have every game from every developer on it the day they're released, and I can't imagine I'm anywhere near alone on that.

A lot of people have a limited amount of money for gaming, and if the game pass is just going to be Microsoft's first party stuff, I can't see them choosing to spend a chunk of that limited money on a bunch of mediocre games and Halo 49/Gears of War 18.
We'll see. Sony is a greedy company and they'll fuck you over any way the can get away with it. Look at the massive shitstorm that had to take place for Sony to allow a few games crossplay. They still think they are good enough to exist in a closed environment and charge what they want and "do what's best for their gamers". They won't be able to compete with a subscription service. Microsoft has the billions to buy developers and then offer their games as part of Game Pass or the upcoming Netflix-like gaming service.

Lately Microsoft has also been Apple-like in their hardware designs. Nothing second rate about their products. Where Sony adds another layer to it's console and calls it the "Pro" version, Microsoft actually made an awesome tiny, powerful, quiet console more powerful than the triple stack Pro PS4.

While Sony is holding absolutely horrid E3 abstract bullshit events and even cancelled this year because they have nothing to show, Microsoft is doing all sorts of things in both hardware and online
streaming/passes, developer acquisitions, etc.
Project xCloud is Microsoft’s big experiment in making game streaming work at last, and it seems possible they might even release separate streaming hardware to make that concept work on a console that isn’t Xbox. If Microsoft can pull this off and be the first company to truly get game streaming right, they might not win the console war, but end the console war, if suddenly you can stream even the most demanding games to your smart TV or PC or iPad or what have you instead of needing a expensive console to do the job for you. It’s a big reach to say that we’re about to see consoles go the way of the DVD player like we did when Netflix arrived, but this is literally what Microsoft is sinking a lot of time and money into, so I would not rule out a seismic shift in the industry when this arrives.
Microsoft's Neflix-like Project xCloud service can work on any device so it will be fun to watch PS4/5 owners ask to have the app installed on their consoles so they can play all the Microsoft games.

I may not get another console, especially now that Game Pass and the Streaming service will be available on PC. Microsoft is making their games/services available to everyone while Sony is still trying to horde shit. We shall see which strategy wins next gen.

"it seems possible they might even release separate streaming hardware to make that concept work on a console that isn’t Xbox." As long as PS5 allows HDMI in, they won't be able to stop a low cost Microsoft add-on from working on their console unless they purposely prevent it which will be "what's best for their gamers" because they're always looking out for you! Microsoft (check their revenue, it's one of best years ever in 2018) knows what makes money and it's not the hardware. They'll sit back and watch Sony try and save their little closed console world.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

The level of Sony hate is strong in this one. You should spend your time more productively. This is supposedly an Xbox thread yet you spend most of your time bashing on Sony. SAD!

--
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

Is this a new version of GameFly, but including streaming content?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yep, it'll have a fine selection of C grade games. :lol:
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Dead or Alive 6 Runs at 1080p on PS4 Pro, While Xbox One X Goes up to 4K and Includes HDR Support
Oh nooooos

BTW, HDR makes a huge difference in some games. I was playing the remake of Resident Evil 2 and the game is great but looked a bit washed out no matter what settings I chose (even Angry Joe mentioned this) I switched to HDR and it looked amazing. 4K doesnt hurt either if you've upgraded to that.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Oh look, Winnow all the sudden cares about console resolution again. Weird!

Wow, imagine that.. A console that came out after the Pro... and that was more expensive.. just happens to be more powerful.

Alert the press here people we got ourselves some fucking breaking news!

Also, all PS4s do HDR... Good luck doing that on a launch XBO.

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:Oh look, Winnow all the sudden cares about console resolution again. Weird!

Wow, imagine that.. A console that came out after the Pro... and that was more expensive.. just happens to be more powerful.

Alert the press here people we got ourselves some fucking breaking news!

Also, all PS4s do HDR... Good luck doing that on a launch XBO.
It's one thing to "do HDR" and another to actually have it implemented. PS4's "do 4K" as well but neither in this case!

Why did Sony have to add another layer and triple stack their goofy looking console while Microsoft made a more powerful, quiet machine that was smaller than the original? The trends...online services, focus on improving game quality, and hardware have all been in Microsoft's favor the past year+ while Sony is doing it's best to go backwards with disastrous gaming decisions regarding cross-play etc, holding ridiculous artsy fartsy E3 conferences and now cancelling it all together. Ultimately, an incestuous company that tries to get its players to only play with each other isn't going to last in this new cross play world.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Microsoft's latest Xbox exclusive Crackdown 3 is finally showing up after numerous delays. Let's see if those 300,000 servers help it at all:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-on ... n-3?ref=hp
Positive: 5 out of 51
Mixed: 40 out of 51
Negative: 6
Crackdown 3 is a severely outdated sandbox title that neither pushes boundaries or evolves itself in any way. While it puts an emphasis on gameplay, the game does the absolute bare minimum to provide any entertainment for the player and, instead, creates a 20-hour-long headache.
A tragic end to Crackdown 3’s long and painful journey, with an unremarkable campaign mode and a multiplayer that is a disaster in terms of tech and design.
It is a game in which inertia reigns. A sandbox that is desperately lacking a signpost. To the direction of fun would be much appreciated, but in truth, we’d just take one that would lead us to purpose.
Crackdown 3 shows very little in the way of learning from the past or learning from the other open-world games that have graced consoles over the last nine years. Instead it feels slight, mindless, and dull
Crackdown 3’s campaign is shockingly under-baked, consisting of little more than overly repetitive mission structure, hit and miss functionality, and several technical issues.
Whaaa whaaa whaaaaaaaaaaa.

The answer is: No. They might need to add more servers!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I got a chuckle out of Game Informer calling it the "Pinnacle of mediocrity". :lol: