E Cigarette

No holds barred discussion. Someone train you and steal your rare spawn? Let everyone know all about it! (Not for the faint of heart!)

Moderator: TheMachine

Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: E Cigarette

Post by Zaelath »

Leonaerd wrote:While we're being douchey...

Second hand smoke is the nastiest fucking thing in the world.
Your cigarette vomit breath gets into my lungs. Legally.
I'm going to piss into your beer and get insulted when you opt to pour it out.
You realise when you fart, particles that were in your arse are provably now in my nose?

I'll take 2nd-hand smoke over farts, thanks.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Zaelath wrote:I'll take 2nd-hand smoke over farts, thanks.
The two vapors share a number of components if an anti-smokimg ad I saw is to be believed :)
"Life is what happens while you're making plans for later."
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Smoking cigarettes, electronic or otherwise, is about as dumb as eating animals.
Make love, fuck war, peace will save us.
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

In Michigan, it's against the law to smoke indoors. I have started to notice people "smoking" their e-cigs inside. I have nothing against this act, but the smokers always have shame in their faces. It's sad and hilarious. They look like addicts who spends too much money on some shitty drugs that they need to consume right now, even though they'd rather be outside smoking cigs anyway. They struggle to toe the line between cool and cancer.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

"Having to" smoke was the biggest reason I wanted to quit. Addiction sucks. I've always been fit so that part wasn't it so much.

I don't think I'd be working in IT if I hadn't spent time outdoors BSing and smoking. Maybe my last 3 jobs for that matter (many years each) :)

I'd be someplace, likely not FL and working in metrology (not meteorology) still.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Spang wrote:Smoking cigarettes, electronic or otherwise, is about as dumb as eating animals.
Which makes for stinkier farts though?
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

Aabidano wrote:Which makes for stinkier farts though?
I think if your motivation for eating animals is because you think your farts might smell if you don't, you're a fucking idiot.
Tyek
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Tyekk
PSN ID: Tyek

Post by Tyek »

oh that wacky Spang, he is at it again.
When I was younger, I used to think that the world was doing it to me and that the world owes me some thing…When you're a teeny bopper, that's what you think. I'm 40 now, I don't think that anymore, because I found out it doesn't f--king work. One has to go through that. For the people who even bother to go through that, most assholes just accept what it is anyway and get on with it." - John Lennon
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Tyek wrote:oh that wacky Spang, he is at it again.
He hasn't been getting enough attention lately.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Keverian FireCry
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Keverian FireCry »

Switched to an e-cig a couple months back. Not planning to quit, but after research it's clear that they are far less damaging and cheaper than cigarettes. So far I've had a few cigarettes since then and while I still use too much nicotine, my lungs already feel a lot better.

I've got a twist and there is no smoke shop in the area. I'm wondering if anyone has preferred brand of liquid? There are endless brands out there, some with very little information or reviews.

I'd love to know if there is a particularly good brand available online or what brands to avoid. All I know is I like the fruit flavored types the most so far and I go for made in the USA, because...fuck China.

Thanks.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

I use high desert vapes. I only vape two of their flavors though. Chocolate coffee and Dueling Banjos. They also have a coupon going all the time for 40% off...its typically just FORTYOFF for the code.

dueling banjos is my daily use. I like the mild tobacco flavors with caramel. They make and mix in arizona I believe...no china stuff.

I did like my ego twist a lot. But I vape so damn much I roll through batteries...so I bought one of those big stupid looking things. it looks fkn dumb as hell, but one battery makes it two days now.

Corresponding to this post and its revival, the FDA has submitted its planned attempt to regulate ecigs. Its out for comment to the public today and gets voted on in like 75 days.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Alice in Vapeland had the best juices, no contest. I haven't used my e cig in quite some time so I can't remember for sure, but I believe they open their store up online on Mondays and stay open until they have sold what they can make for the week, they're usually at that point by Tuesday. Because of how popular they are and how good their shit is, they're a little more expensive but it's well worth it.
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

if you're looking for the premium shizzle, its Alice and Vapeland, NiteLiteVapor, and Prime Vaping. No matter how good though, taste is everything, and taste is subjective. So happy hunting!
Leonaerd
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Leonaerd »

Today marks one year since I last smoked a cig / vape / anything with nicotine!
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Cool.

10 years from now you'll still randomly want one :D
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I haven't had a cigarette in more than six years, and I can't remember the last time I "randomly want[ed] one".
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

you want one right now 8)
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Because you're possessed by the spirit of a tobacco beetle.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

This is yet another display of how he needs to be different.
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

I don't need to be different, I just am.

Also, the New Yorker did a thing on e-cigarettes. You can watch it here.
E-cigarettes are at the center of one of the most contentious debates in public health, and a subculture of vapers is flourishing.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

All hail tobacco beetle!
Spang
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Spang »

E-cigarettes aren't safe if you're a mouse. Probably super-safe if you're a human, though.
A new study out of Johns Hopkins University looks at e-cigarettes' effects on mice, and it finds that exposure to their vapor limited of the mice's immune systems and impaired their lungs' ability to fight off viral and bacterial infections. They also found that the vapor contained harmful molecules known as free radicals.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Regular Cigs vs E-Cigs

comparable to

burning alive vs having your throat cut

Still not sure why you'd choose either when there are other options like not smoking.
Aabidano
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Aabidano »

Winnow wrote:Still not sure why you'd choose either when there are other options like not smoking.
Though for a tiny, tiny minority with ulcerative coillitus the choice between limited smoking with it's associated risks and severe, debilitating sickness and spending 2-3 hours a day crapping blood for the next 50 years? Smoking's long term risks don't look that bad by comparison.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

More proof evidence these are evil!
A health watchdog group took legal action against some of the country’s largest e-cigarette manufacturers for failing to properly warn consumers about the risk of such products after tests show that most produce high levels of toxic chemicals.

The Center for Environmental Health conducted tests of 97 e-cigarettes and other “vaping” products from two dozen makers including Imperial Tobacco’s Vuse brand, NJoy, and RJ Reynolds’ blu brand for the report [PDF] titled “A Smoking Gun: Cancer Causing Chemicals in E-cigarettes.”

The report – which the group claims is the first-ever large sampling of actual e-cigarettes and vaping products tested simulating real-world use – found that 50 out of the 97 e-cigarettes tested pose a serious cancer risk.

According to the report, 90% of the companies had at least one product that produced high levels of formaldehyde or acetaldehydeone or both, representing a violation of California safety standards

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

There's a lot wrong with that. I've seen recent studies that have claimed that while they aren't good for you they are something like 90% better than cigarettes. If that's even close to true, they are a much safer alternative, and I know plenty of people that have used then to quit entirely (including myself).

Also, all the brands listed by name are band put out by big tobacco companies, which I'm sure are the worst by far.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... ent-report
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: If that's even close to true, they are a much safer alternative,
if if if...if your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle!
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Funkmasterr wrote:There's a lot wrong with that. I've seen recent studies that have claimed that while they aren't good for you they are something like 90% better than cigarettes.
And others say something else. Who do you trust?!

If I never hear the word "vaping" again it will be too soon.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's not a matter of trust. I see more scientific studies leaning towards "they are a much safer alternative" than the opposite; but either way, more time and more studies are going to need to be done to know what effect they truly have on your health.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

"One bullet streaking towards your head is much safer than two bullets" -scientific study

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Right on the front page of CNN today.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Aslanna wrote:"One bullet streaking towards your head is much safer than two bullets" -scientific study
"I have an unfounded, unsubstantiated view on something I'm unfamiliar with, and even though this thing I speak of could help many people break their nicotine addiction, I'm going to put my view out there and help further demonize this thing by spreading my ignorant opinion, just like the media has taught me to do."

- Aslanna
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That doesn't sound like something I would say.

I am going to have to call shenanigans.

--
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:
Aslanna wrote:"One bullet streaking towards your head is much safer than two bullets" -scientific study
"I have an unfounded, unsubstantiated view on something I'm unfamiliar with, and even though this thing I speak of could help many people break their nicotine addiction, I'm going to put my view out there and help further demonize this thing by spreading my ignorant opinion, just like the media has taught me to do."

- Aslanna
I don't buy "this thing I speak of could help many people break their nicotine addiction".

I tried multiple methods, smoked for 25 years, only thing that has had long term success was cold turkey. That's a pattern that's confirmed by research too.

If you wanted to say "vaping nicotine is probably safer than burning tobacco", I don't think there's an argument for that. But as a quit aid? Bullshit.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Zaelath wrote:
Funkmasterr wrote:

- Aslanna
I don't buy "this thing I speak of could help many people break their nicotine addiction".

I tried multiple methods, smoked for 25 years, only thing that has had long term success was cold turkey. That's a pattern that's confirmed by research too.

If you wanted to say "vaping nicotine is probably safer than burning tobacco", I don't think there's an argument for that. But as a quit aid? Bullshit.
I don't know, just because it didn't serve that purpose for you doesn't mean it's bullshit. I used it to quit (and no longer use the e-cig, either) and I know several other people that have done so as well. I know that alone doesn't mean much, but just calling it like I see it. I guess at least my opinion on them was based on experience and actually looking into the effects of using them in earnest, and not on bullshit biased pseudoscience articles like others in the thread (not you).

P.S. Good to see you around again, hope all is well.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

E Cigarettes crack me up.

Lets play the analogy game.

Say you beat your wife. If you switch from a closed fist too open handed bitch slap, would that be considered progress? When you go out to parties, things are better because her face doesn't look so black and blue, just a little reddish (you don't stink like cigarettes). This new bitch slap technique is great! I call it the E-Slap!

Yeah Joe, I used to have to wind up and punch her in the face and sometimes hurt my hand when she didn't bring me my beer but now I just back hand her as she walks by.

Keep fucking that chicken!
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

Funkmasterr wrote:
I don't know, just because it didn't serve that purpose for you doesn't mean it's bullshit. I used it to quit (and no longer use the e-cig, either) and I know several other people that have done so as well. I know that alone doesn't mean much, but just calling it like I see it. I guess at least my opinion on them was based on experience and actually looking into the effects of using them in earnest, and not on bullshit biased pseudoscience articles like others in the thread (not you).

P.S. Good to see you around again, hope all is well.
Cheers, Funk. Glad it worked for you, I certainly don't suggest people don't try everything available until they find something that work for them...

Yeah, but that's anecdotal/personal experience. Broader surveys/studies suggest that smoking cessation aids are almost entirely ineffective past the 6 month mark.

Not that I don't still crave a smoke occasionally after 3 years, but it's a weak craving compared to the many downsides of taking it back up...
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yep, agreed. I recently got back into the habit of smoking on weekends, but luckily knocked that off before I got any worse.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Some e-cigarette flavors contain chemical linked to 'popcorn lung' disease

By Loren Grush on December 8, 2015 04:54 pm @lorengrush

Some flavored electronic cigarettes may contain a chemical flavoring linked with a severe lung disease. The chemical, diacetyl, was found in over 75 percent of flavored e-cigs and refill liquids tested by Harvard researchers, along with two other compounds that are potentially harmful to human health. The chemicals were found in many sweet-tasting flavors, such as cotton candy, "Fruit Squirts," and cupcake.

Diacetyl is a chemical additive that's sometimes added to foods give them a buttery flavor. Inhaling the substance has been associated with a severe respiratory condition known as bronchiolitis obliterans, in which the tiny airways in the lungs called bronchioles get inflamed and are then obstructed. Bronchiolitis obliterans is also referred to as "popcorn lung," after numerous workers at microwave popcorn plants inhaled the artificial butter flavorings and came down with the disease.

The Harvard researchers looked for the presence of diacetyl in 51 different e-cigarette flavors, as well as two other flavoring chemicals, acetoin, and 2,3-pentanedione. These compounds are often used alongside diacetyl, and may also be hazardous to respiratory health. To single out these chemicals, the researchers put the flavored e-cigarettes into a chamber and drew air out of them for eight seconds a time. The air stream was then analyzed for its chemical components. Of the 51 flavors tested, 47 contained one of the three chemicals the researchers were looking for.
I can see why the E-Cig manufacturers wouldn't care much about including disease causing chemicals in their product as their clientele was already smoking cancer sticks so it's not like they care either.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:
Some e-cigarette flavors contain chemical linked to 'popcorn lung' disease

By Loren Grush on December 8, 2015 04:54 pm @lorengrush

Some flavored electronic cigarettes may contain a chemical flavoring linked with a severe lung disease. The chemical, diacetyl, was found in over 75 percent of flavored e-cigs and refill liquids tested by Harvard researchers, along with two other compounds that are potentially harmful to human health. The chemicals were found in many sweet-tasting flavors, such as cotton candy, "Fruit Squirts," and cupcake.

Diacetyl is a chemical additive that's sometimes added to foods give them a buttery flavor. Inhaling the substance has been associated with a severe respiratory condition known as bronchiolitis obliterans, in which the tiny airways in the lungs called bronchioles get inflamed and are then obstructed. Bronchiolitis obliterans is also referred to as "popcorn lung," after numerous workers at microwave popcorn plants inhaled the artificial butter flavorings and came down with the disease.

The Harvard researchers looked for the presence of diacetyl in 51 different e-cigarette flavors, as well as two other flavoring chemicals, acetoin, and 2,3-pentanedione. These compounds are often used alongside diacetyl, and may also be hazardous to respiratory health. To single out these chemicals, the researchers put the flavored e-cigarettes into a chamber and drew air out of them for eight seconds a time. The air stream was then analyzed for its chemical components. Of the 51 flavors tested, 47 contained one of the three chemicals the researchers were looking for.
I can see why the E-Cig manufacturers wouldn't care much about including disease causing chemicals in their product as their clientele was already smoking cancer sticks so it's not like they care either.
Take your bullshit biased pseudoscience article and gtfo of this thread!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

/yawn
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

But the study, published in the journal ERJ Open Research, says both e-cigarettes and heated tobacco devices causes the same type of damage to cells seen in people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), asthma, bronchitis and emphysema who struggle to breathe

Professor Charlotta Pisinger is Chair of the European Respiratory Society’s Tobacco Control Committee and was not involved in the research.

She said: ‘These new heated tobacco devices are marketed as producing 95% lower levels of toxic compounds because the tobacco is heated, not burned. However, the first independent studies have shown that combustion is taking place and toxic and carcinogenic compounds are released, some in lower levels than in conventional cigarette smoke, others in higher levels.

‘A review of the tobacco industry’s own data on these devices has shown that, in rats, there is evidence of lung inflammation, and there is no evidence of improvement in lung inflammation and function in smokers who switch to heated tobacco.’

‘The introduction and vigorous marketing of new devices is very tempting to smokers who want to stop smoking and mistakenly believe they can switch to another harmless tobacco product.

‘It is also opening another avenue for attracting young people to use and become addicted to nicotine. This study adds to evidence that these new devices are not the safe substitute to cigarette smoking they are promoted to be.’
But hey if you want to keep believing it's a safe alternative more power to you. The only ones pushing these as "safe" are those who stand to make a profit.

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Meh - I haven't used an e-cig or smoked cigarettes in a few years now, so I'm a bit out of the loop. That being said, I don't think anyone is arguing they're safe - I think the argument has always been "safer than cigarettes", and nothing you linked/quoted really puts that to bed conclusively.

One of the big problems I've seen is that these studies tend to analyze the contents of the cheap, prepackaged e-cig/juice you can buy at gas stations/tobacco shops, and this stuff is objectively lower quality/more questionable than the stuff you'd buy in a specialty shop. Most people I know are going and buying the good stuff, not just grabbing something next to the register at the gas station, but I guess I have no clue if that anecdotal experience is applicable to the public at large.

I do think that after some time goes by and more thorough studies are done, they'll find they do more harm than people may have initially thought, but I'd still be surprised if it's consistently worse than tobacco.

That being said, I'm not sure why I'm bothering to engage you on this since you clearly don't have a horse in the race and are just trolling.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I wasn't trolling.. I was posting addition information about another recent study. I'm trying to help people!

--