3rd party PS3 controller question

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

3rd party PS3 controller question

Post by Boogahz »

So, I re-upped my Gamefly membership to try out more games on my new PS3. Now I am on the hunt for a new controller that is sized more similar to the 360. I'm thinking about getting a PDP - Afterglow AP.2 Wireless Controller for PlayStation 3 with some reward zone certificates that will expire soon. Anyone have any input on something better, or even experience with this one?

Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: 3rd party PS3 controller question

Post by Fairweather Pure »

I haven't used 3rd party controllers since the SNES days.

Post your impressions if you end up buying it!
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I ended up grabbing it. It feels much better, came with an 8' recharging cord, has rumblerumblerumble, triggers are concave, and the stick placement is like that of the 360 controller. I was only able to use it for a short time before an appt, but it is perfect at first glance. It does use a USB dongle for wireless connectivity, but that isn't an issue for me. Hoping to get my first game from Gamefly over the weekend to test it out.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

DualShock 3 > *
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I ended up grabbing it. It feels much better, came with an 8' recharging cord, has rumblerumblerumble, triggers are concave, and the stick placement is like that of the 360 controller. I was only able to use it for a short time before an appt, but it is perfect at first glance. It does use a USB dongle for wireless connectivity, but that isn't an issue for me. Hoping to get my first game from Gamefly over the weekend to test it out.
Nice. Since closing in on next gen for PS4 I'll have to see how new controller is but hopefully someone makes a 360 clone for the PS4.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Get smaller hands

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I have small hands, it isn't about the size of the hands. It's about the placement of the sticks being uncomfortable and them being rounded off pressing against your thumbs instead of the 360 that lets your thumbs rest comfortably inside. Also being made of a material that I find my thumbs slipping off them sometimes, which I've never had happen to me on 360. The dpad also sucks worse than the 360. Even browsing netflix I have to push the dpad repeatedly in one direction or another to get any result and it happens on my brand new controller that has maybe played 3 or 4 hours of games as well as my more used one. Being seprate, small buttons is just bad design. The trigger argument has been played out so I won't bring that up other than to say obviously the 360 has them beat. I was also never able to get the hang of the shapes for the name of the buttons, too confusing in games like god of war that require quick time events.

Maybe the problem is that I never played the ps or ps2 before ps3, or, I don't know, the controller is just horrible. Luckily there are 3 different consoles and pc gaming and handhelds so everyone's different preferences and needs are met!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

The proof that dual shock ergonomics suck is that first, the pro Wii controller copied the 360 not the dual shock and second, all of the changes made to the PS4 controller copy 360... Concave tops to joysticks, triggers actually shaped like triggers, fatter textured easier to grip handles.

Even with those changes though, the left joystick placement is an issue as games primarily use left joystick movement these days and upper left joystick placement is more comfortable.

It appears that the current 360 controller without any changes at all would be better than the ps4. We'll have to see if any changes are made...they can't be any worse than the lame looking touch pad slapped on the PS4 controller.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dakanaf wrote:The dpad also sucks worse than the 360. Even browsing netflix I have to push the dpad repeatedly in one direction or another to get any result and it happens on my brand new controller that has maybe played 3 or 4 hours of games as well as my more used one. Being seprate, small buttons is just bad design.
Well now I know you're just crazy. The 360 D-pad is the worst ever. Bar none!

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

I had problems with the 360 dpad the first few weeks I got my 360, every once in a while I'll have a slip here and there but nothing major. Every time I use the dpad on either of my ps3 controllers on games or just browsing netflix or the system menu there will be multiple problems, no exception. It's just that simple.
Winnow says the proof is that the wii u copied the 360, but how about the third party controller for the ps3 that is pretty much an exact copy of the 360 that is pictured in this thread?
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

It really is a near-copy of the 360 controller. The primary differences are that the lower portions of the controller which sits in your palms are more rounded, and it is about half the weight of a 360 controller.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The only thing the Xbox 360 d-pad is good for is to switch weapons on a 4-weapon loadout. Forget trying to play Street Fighter or any platformers with it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Animalor wrote:The only thing the Xbox 360 d-pad is good for is to switch weapons on a 4-weapon loadout. Forget trying to play Street Fighter or any platformers with it.
The newest controller is just fine. I've been using them for years.

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Dakanaf wrote:I had problems with the 360 dpad the first few weeks I got my 360, every once in a while I'll have a slip here and there but nothing major. Every time I use the dpad on either of my ps3 controllers on games or just browsing netflix or the system menu there will be multiple problems, no exception. It's just that simple.
Seriously.. They are separate buttons. If there's any issues I'd have to say operator error. The 360 one is just a big fuckin mess and I don't know how anyone could even argue that! It's not even "just fine" it's more of an embarrassment that it even exists on the controller. Simply raising it up a bit more does nothing to address that.

--
Dakanaf
Gets Around
Gets Around

Post by Dakanaf »

Yes, they are seperate buttons, which is the problem. Seperate buttons but spaced entirely too close, so when I go to push left, my small thumb will push up instead. Very frustrating. I don't have that problem with the 360!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

I never noticed anything wrong with either D pad (360 or PS3). I have, however, noticed a shit-ton of other things wrong with the Dual Shock controller that are better on the 360 controller...so if that's the only thing better on the Dual Shock....grats!

I spent the entire Tomb Raider game using the D-Pad on the 360 switching weapons/modes quite often and had zero issues with it.

Some highlights:

1. 360 is way more comfortable...the PS3 controller is the opposite of comfortable...not something you want in a controller you use hours at a time for 5 years....or forever with the dual shock since they never seem to change it.

2. Triggers...probably more important than the outdated D-Pad used on 2D games, is absolutely no contest in favor of the 360.

3. Joystick placement is better on the 360 as well as the design of the joysticks being better on the 360.

4. Bumper buttons...much better on the 360. Little R1/L1 buttons on the PS3 while the 360 controller has large bumper buttons that curve to the edge of the controller, making it easier to hit the buttons even if you use various hand placements depending on games you play that do or don't require the bottom trigger use.

The dual shock is an outdated piece of crap designed like 15 years ago. The Arari 2600 joystick was good in its day as well but things are supposed to improve over time. Everything else has.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Winnow wrote:360 is way more comfortable...the PS3 controller is the opposite of comfortable...not something you want in a controller you use hours at a time for 5 years....or forever with the dual shock since they never seem to change it.
I don't know if I've had my PS3 5 years yet (probably!) but I use it for hours at a time and have had no issues with the controller. However yesterday I played Tomb Raider for an hour with a 360 controller on PC and had to stop due to crab hands. So uncomfortable!

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

Unless you're just arguing to be a douche - the dpad on the dual shock is better for fighting and racing games.

That being said, I spend about 15 minutes a year playing those two genres combined, and prefer the 360 controller for everything else.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote:Unless you're just arguing to be a douche - the dpad on the dual shock is better for fighting and racing games.
The horrific triggers on the dual shock cancel out any possible advantage the d-pad would have on a racing game. Not even close. I'll take the triggers on the 360 for a racing game.

That leaves fighting games.

karatiiiiiii chop!1!!

The laundry list of things the dual shock needs to improve is larger than the one negative on the 360 controller. The key elements of the 360 controller (for the majority of the games) are better than the dual shock.
Canelek
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Canelek

Post by Canelek »

For fuck sake. Stop crying about the fucking controller already. Not everyone has chubby little fingers that can't handle change. Learn to handle change!
en kærlighed småkager
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

I still have a Wico joystick from my Atari days.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Which one? I like The Boss!

--
Bubba Grizz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Bubba Grizz »

Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I bought one of those off eBay last year. The base is too large and it just overall feels too unwieldy. And doesn't work nearly as well as I thought it would (should?). Not sure if that's just how they are or that I am used to more modern controllers now. There were no Boss joysticks for sale at the time unfortunately!

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2013/03/ ... r-android/

Another controller...another wake up call to the archaic Playstation generation.

Joystick placement....check!
Xbox buttons...check!
Samsung Reveals Prototype Wireless Game Controller For Android

Bluetooth gaming controllers for smartphones and tablets are pretty common, but always seem to lack support from developers. However, Samsung is hoping all of that will change, as they recently revealed a new mobile gaming controller of their own, alongside the new Galaxy S 4 smartphone.

The device is still in the prototype stage, missing an official name, and bears a striking resemblance to another well-known gaming controller. It sports four colored action buttons, two offset analog joysticks, two shoulder buttons and a row of five more buttons along the top. An adjustable clamp holds varying device sizes in place atop the controller. In place of the more common rechargeable battery, Samsung's prototype game controller has space for two triple-A style batteries for power.

While showing off the device at the recent Galaxy S 4 unveiling, Samsung also revealed an accompanying arcade app that seems to provide easier access to compatible games. No price point has been established, but the wireless controller is expected to launch sometime this summer.
Sony continues to cling, and cause pain, to outdated designs while everyone else copies the 360 controller.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

That looks terrible. I doubt it's all that comfortable, either. "xbox buttons"? lol

--