Movie, DVD, and TV reviews and discussion

Moderators: Abelard, Drolgin Steingrinder

Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Being Human (UK/US Versions)

Post by Winnow »

Anyone else seen this series?

It's about a Vampire, Werewolf and Ghost that live together in the house that the Ghost was killed in. The basic premise is that the Vampire and Werewolf are trying to fit in with society. The shit hits the fan left and right though. While the short description sounds like a Disney cartoon (soon available only on Netflix!), it's pretty dark (the US version) with some humor thrown in.

There are two series. A British and American version. The British version started first with 4 seasons completed while season 3 of the American version is just starting up this January.

The series was recommended to me by a friend. I started watching the UK version but they actually were watching the US version so, while the major storyline is the same for both, it was getting a little odd talking about the show until I figured out we were watching two different series.

The UK version is OK, but the US version is better IMO. It started out three years later and it looks like they learned from the UK version. Special effects, etc are also better in the US version. The US story takes twice the episodes to cover the same main story but character development and background benefits greatly from it.

The first season of the US version is available on Netflix while all four seasons of the UK version are on Netflix. I watched the first 2 seasons of the US version (downloaded the second season) and was entertained.

I've seen the first 5 episodes of the UK version so far and it's been interesting watching the same overall storyline told when focused on UK or American audiences. I'd say the UK version is a bit cruder/lower budget while the American version is a bit darker/bloodier/polished. The US version includes flashbacks to the past which help a lot with the vampire parts of the story.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Re: Being Human (UK/US Versions)

Post by Hesten »

I seen the UK version, good series in general, but sometimes a little slow.
The US series I had to stop watching after the 2nd episode, it was constantly pissing me off.
"Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich"
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I've watched the UK version from the start. Mitchell was alright, George was whiny and Annie I didn't like at all. Don't really like the casting changes though so probably wont follow it very close going forward.

I knew there was a US version but it never crossed my mind to watch it since like most UK shows brought over to the US it more than likely sucks.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Aslanna wrote:I've watched the UK version from the start. Mitchell was alright, George was whiny and Annie I didn't like at all. Don't really like the casting changes though so probably wont follow it very close going forward.

I knew there was a US version but it never crossed my mind to watch it since like most UK shows brought over to the US it more than likely sucks.
I like the US version better than the UK version, although both are good. I'd rather point out the differences than go the favoritism route.

I watched the US version first and now when watching the UK version there's so little character development since the story moves twice as fast. The shows are almost totally different. Even in major plot points, for example, the Vampire kills a major "villain" in the story in the US version while the Werewolf does the deed in the UK version. The "kid vampire" is handled completely different in both versions as well.

I'm in the second season of the UK version and haven't even seen any sign of the dutch vampires or "mother". In the UK version, control of the city goes to the vampire within a few episodes while in the US version, he still doesn't have it after two full seasons. The first episode or two are very similar but things diverge pretty quick after that.

Also, I don't like how the ghost in the UK version was like a regular person...could even get a job at a pub? wtf? In the US version, the ghost struggles to move even small things and can't be seen by anyone except supernatural creatures. While the ghost character is my least favorite in both shows, I think they handled the ghost better in the US version. Werewolf guy is wimpier (human form) in the US version but I also like the struggles he goes through more than that part being glossed over in the UK version. As for the Vampires, it's a tough call. US Vampire guy seems to have more of a problem controlling his bloodlust while the UK Vampire seems weaker in strength/power but manages to take control of the city in just a few episodes.

If you haven't seen the US version, it's worth watching a few episodes. I agree that in both series, certain characters can be annoying while you may end up liking some others a little more. The UK version's production values have improved as of season 2 (first season was only 6 episodes) but the US version still seems way ahead in the special effects department (it started three years later), budget for sets, etc. They are different enough (actually really different) that I'll probably keep watching both after catching up (and if the UK version is still ongoing like the US version is)
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

I remember hearing about the series before, but I figured it was some kind of CW bastardization of a cool concept. Do you happen to know what it has been airing on? Was it SyFy?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Boogahz wrote:I remember hearing about the series before, but I figured it was some kind of CW bastardization of a cool concept. Do you happen to know what it has been airing on? Was it SyFy?
SyFy it looks like. I never actually watch shows live so just Googled it. Netflix has both US/UK versions.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

I think I remember what it was...I caught part of an episode when it was on, and I never tried to figure out if older episodes/seasons were available.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

One question, if you are legally watching the UK version....in the original TV version, the lea up to the final showdown in season 1, episode 6, had Johnny Cash's "When the Man Comes Around" as the soundtrack.
But for God the fuck knows what reason, all licensed music on the DVD version of season 1 was replaced with generic music instead :(. How is the legal US showing of the UK version in that regard?
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote:One question, if you are legally watching the UK version....in the original TV version, the lea up to the final showdown in season 1, episode 6, had Johnny Cash's "When the Man Comes Around" as the soundtrack.
But for God the fuck knows what reason, all licensed music on the DVD version of season 1 was replaced with generic music instead :(. How is the legal US showing of the UK version in that regard?
Hmm, I did notice the UK version playing popular songs. I'm watching whatever version is on Netflix (I don't need to change my IP address to Euro in order to watch the UK version, like you needed to for Misfits, modern family, etc in the past for example).

Lets see....

I just skipped through episode 6 and didn't hear any music. (besides background normal TV drama manufactured sounds) Maybe it was taken out. I have recognized popular artist songs before in the show though.
Hesten
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Hesten »

Winnow wrote:
Hesten wrote:One question, if you are legally watching the UK version....in the original TV version, the lea up to the final showdown in season 1, episode 6, had Johnny Cash's "When the Man Comes Around" as the soundtrack.
Hmm, I did notice the UK version playing popular songs. I'm watching whatever version is on Netflix (I don't need to change my IP address to Euro in order to watch the UK version, like you needed to for Misfits, modern family, etc in the past for example).

Lets see....

I just skipped through episode 6 and didn't hear any music. (besides background normal TV drama manufactured sounds) Maybe it was taken out. I have recognized popular artist songs before in the show though.
Guess taken out then. I bought episode 1 on DVD, and having all the important music taken out and replaced totally ruined it for me. Now i got season 1 DVD, AND a copy of the download, if i want ot see it again, I'll see the DL version .(
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Hesten wrote:
Guess taken out then. I bought episode 1 on DVD, and having all the important music taken out and replaced totally ruined it for me. Now i got season 1 DVD, AND a copy of the download, if i want ot see it again, I'll see the DL version .(
I don't think it was all taken out but music rights do differ depending on the media.

Anyway, just finished episode 6 of Season 2 UK and it's getting better. The story is slowing down so there's a little more time to develop the characters. There are more flashbacks as well. I still favor the US version between the two. The plot points have more meaning when it comes to Vampire royalty etc. At least the ghost is invisible to normal people again! Not a big fan of the UK Priest (sister?) part of the story so far.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Boogahz »

yeah, I've seen soundtracks change based on who has the rights to tv/film distribution vs dvd/blu ray/etc distribution.
Zaelath
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Zaelath »

UK version is better, the only show to be improved by translation to the US thus far is The Office.
May 2003 - "Mission Accomplished"
June 2005 - "The mission isn't easy, and it will not be accomplished overnight"
-- G W Bush, freelance writer for The Daily Show.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Zaelath wrote:UK version is better, the only show to be improved by translation to the US thus far is The Office.
US version is better although I like them both. Some British were improved when they sailed across the ocean and became Americans. I also liked the U.S. version of Skins better than the UK version.

Season 2 UK finale and the episode before it made up for lack of blood and violence. On to season 3!
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Season3 of UK Being Human declined in quality quite a bit and Season 4 is some sort of Terminator type flashback nonsense.

Pending what happens this month with season 3 of US version, the US version is definitely better than the UK version. I sure hope the continue to diverge from the UK storyline.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Being Human is coming to an end. The Syfy series will wrap up after the fourth season with the series finale set for Monday, April 7
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--