3D TVs?

Support, Discussion, Reviews
Knarlz
Star Farmer
Star Farmer

3D TVs?

Post by Knarlz »

I did buy the Samsung HLT5676S 56" UltraSlim 1080p DLP HDTV.........
It's only been 4 years but I'm now starting to get the dreaded dlp white dots. These should turn into a blizzard of snow soon.
This appearently was a common enough problem that Samsung covered it for several years on some models but not this one. Some people got this model covered by bitching enough but that was a year or two ago also.
It's 500-800 usd to fix using a different "chip" that most complain isn't as clear as the one prone to mirror failure.

So....While I was hopeing for several (at least) more years life on my current one, it may need replacing soon.
As such it may be a 3D tv.
So far I have only really found out that all the technologies may be prone to pooping out. DLP, plasma, lcd all have potential issues.
1080p, 240hz is perfered.
I wanted to wait till black friday but the wife isn't goint to let me.

Other than 3D content is mainly crap, any thoughts on 3D tvs?
Pride of nationality depends not on ignorance of other nations, but on ignorance of one's own.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: 3D TVs?

Post by Boogahz »

Personally, I would never even consider 3D. Let them pitch it to you as the 'future,' then move on. :)
Xouqoa
Way too much time!
Way too much time!
XBL Gamertag: Xouqoa

Post by Xouqoa »

Yeah, I just bought a new TV and didn't even consider 3D. It's a gimmick to me until they can make it work without the glasses. Then it might be something worth considering.
"Our problems are man-made, therefore they may be solved by man. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings." - John F Kennedy
Kluden
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Kluden »

Well, since LG and Vizio have passive 3D models... I would say its getting better... but it is still a gimmick, and probably always will be.

I didn't let the 3D thing affect my tv decision when my DLP died in the same manner yours is...but my TV does have 3D, and its cool, but I could totally live without it and not give a shit. The best thing about it is playing PS3 games in 3D, that is awesome, I will admit. The movies are cool, but again, its just a gimmick really, could live without it.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's just not worth the investment, and that's coming from someone who buys pretty much every single tech gadget I want. I should be their #1 target audience, but 3D is lame as fuck.

On the TVs I was looking at, you're paying between 250-300$ more for the 3D version. Add to that the need for glasses. This ranges wildly, but I was looking at 2 pair for 150$, so 300$ for 4 pair. What would you be watching in 3D that would make that worthwhile? I guess I have 3-4 video games that have a 3D option. I could repurchase a plethora of kids blu ray movies I already own (but not in 3D) at 20-30$ a pop. Just for 3D? How many times am I going to watch that 3D movie compared to it's 2D counterpart? People think that experience is worth all that extra money? That's ridiculous. Also, there isn't any TV content in 3D to watch. It just seems like a huge waste of money. God forbid you have friends over and want to watch something in 3D and you only have 4 pair of glasses. When you put it all down on paper, 3D becomes more expensive even less relevant for home use than what my gut instinct told me when Sony and Co. first started trying to shove this trend down my throat.