NGP (PSP2)

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

NGP (PSP2)

Post by miir »

Holy crap!
What a mindblowing device.

5" multitouch OLED
Dual analog sticks.
2 cameras
Motion control
3G, GPS, Wifi
Can play PS3 games (devs have been given a tool to export games to be NGP compatible)
Backwards compatible with PSP games

Sony just kicked Nintendo in the nuts.
Why would anyone buy a 3DS over the NGP?
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Re: NGP (PSP2)

Post by Boogahz »

which of the features will they remove first? :P
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was thinking it looks really cool too. The big thing will be software, the PSP has some pretty solid games, but no where near the library of good games that Nintendo has for their portables. If Sony can turn that around, this thing will be majorly kick ass.

I will most likely get one for train entertainment in Japan either way.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

The DS has a ridiculous amount of games.. but the vast majority are complete shit.
In the past couple of years, the PSP has had far more AAA titles.

Hell, I haven't even turned on my DSI XL in months.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:Sony just kicked Nintendo in the nuts.
Because it's 3D. Duh.

I'll buy a PSP2 when/if it gets hacked. Need my emulators on the go!
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:The DS has a ridiculous amount of games.. but the vast majority are complete shit.
In the past couple of years, the PSP has had far more AAA titles.

Hell, I haven't even turned on my DSI XL in months.
I disagree. For RPG's, which is primarily what I would use a portable to play, the games the DS has are much more appealing to me, and more abundant. Games like Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy, etc.. Even the remakes of the old SNES era RPG's. I know you like the Prinny/Disgaea games a lot and would argue those are better, but they just aren't my cup of tea.

For action games, the PSP's control stick fucking blows, so I haven't even been able to stick with any of them for more than a few minutes.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

There's been a ton of top shelf RPGs released on the PSP in the past couple of years.
That's mostly what I play on mine.

There's also been a bunch of PS1 RPGs released on PSN.
I'm currently playing FFIX.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, I've found like 3 total PS1 games on the store I've been interested in. FF7,9 and Suikoden. A lot of others that I'd like to see, but haven't. I'm just partial to the titles that Nintendo has for RPG's, probably because they were the RPG's that really got me into gaming. Even though it's just a remake, having the original FF Tactics on the DS is worth like 40-50 AAA titles on the PSP to me.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Holy crap!
What a mindblowing device.

5" multitouch OLED
Dual analog sticks.
2 cameras
Motion control
3G, GPS, Wifi
Can play PS3 games (devs have been given a tool to export games to be NGP compatible)
Backwards compatible with PSP games

Sony just kicked Nintendo in the nuts.
Doesn't it also have a touchpad on the back of it as well?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Yea.
Saw a demo of Uncharted where they were swiping the back sensors to climb a wall.
Looked kinda gimmicky to me personally.

It will be interesting to see how developers implement the multitude of possible controls schemes that can be used.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

miir wrote:Yea.
Saw a demo of Uncharted where they were swiping the back sensors to climb a wall.
Looked kinda gimmicky to me personally.

It will be interesting to see how developers implement the multitude of possible controls schemes that can be used.
The guys at Game Informer posted impressions after playing Uncharted on it. They said while it felt gimmicky, it controlled well, and all of the touch controls are optional, you can stick to using the buttons for everything if that's your style.
Animalor
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Anirask
PSN ID: Anirask

Post by Animalor »

The device looks fantastic but it will all hinge on the price for me. Anything above 249$ will be a non-starter. (kinda ironic cause I thought that was way oo much for the PSPGo).
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Pretty much the same pros and cons when it was PSP vs DS and we all see how that turned out. I don't see anything changing this time. Sony will place a distant second in the handheld market as long as phones are not counted. Speaking of phones, it's pretty much guaranteed that at some point in the device's cycle that phones will meet or exceed it's specs. Times have changed drastically from the last handheld launches, do people really carry around multiple devices that do not live in Japan?

People will choose the 3DS over this based on price alone. It's the same reason people buy a Nook over an iPad. All those extra features don't mean anything to certain people that just want to play games. They will not want to pay more, so Sony better come out strong (they won't, of course).

Sony has a chance to contend if they come out with a launch price that doesn't make people choke back equal parts laughter and disbelief (599$ for PS3 and 249$ for PSP Go are my examples). Game price could also make or break them. I'm so used to seeing such cheap prices on iPhone/iPad games that paying 50$ for a NGP or 3DS game is just not going to happen, and I'm a gamer that blows money like fucking mad.

I like the device. I appreciate the tech and innovation it is trying to bring to the table. I have more questions than answers right now so am not too excited about it.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I'm so used to seeing such cheap prices on iPhone/iPad games that paying 50$ for a NGP or 3DS game is just not going to happen
When have handheld games ever been $50?
Most DS games are $20-30 and there's rarely a PSP game over $30
The PSP games that are $40 usually go on sale for $20 a few months after release. I paid full price for 2 PSP games last year (Persona3, PSP2)

I bought a few dozen games for my ipod touch last year and I don't think I spent more than a couple of hours playing any of them. Infinity blade got boring after an hour and a half, I could barely stand playing Chaos Rings for more than an hour, the controls for NFS: Hot Persuit were so horrible I felt ripped off paying a dollar for it and my 2 year old son has played Angry Birds more than I have.

I prefer quality games with longevity to throwaway, timewaster games.
I have yet to find a single game on the iphone that I actually wanted to play for more than a couple of minutes at a time.
it's pretty much guaranteed that at some point in the device's cycle that phones will meet or exceed it's specs
That's doubtful.
The battery life of the NGP is estimated to be around 5 hours which is just not acceptable for a phone.
The device is actually more powerful than the 360. The CPU and GPU consume ridiculous amounts of power.

do people really carry around multiple devices that do not live in Japan?
I see people carrying around fucking ipads... watching tv/movies walking in the underground or on the subway.
How is it so difficult to concieve that someone would carry around a portable gaming device that fits in a pocket?

Sony will place a distant second in the handheld market
The PSP has outsold the 360 but you (and many others) consider the 360 to be the best console of this generation.
When you talk about the PSP, you seem to consider it a failure.
I'm really not sure how selling 65 million units can be considered anything but a success.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:
I'm so used to seeing such cheap prices on iPhone/iPad games that paying 50$ for a NGP or 3DS game is just not going to happen
The PSP games that are $40 usually go on sale for $20 a few months after release. I paid full price for 2 PSP games last year (Persona3, PSP2)

I bought a few dozen games for my ipod touch last year and I don't think I spent more than a couple of hours playing any of them. Infinity blade got boring after an hour and a half, I could barely stand playing Chaos Rings for more than an hour, the controls for NFS: Hot Persuit were so horrible I felt ripped off paying a dollar for it and my 2 year old son has played Angry Birds more than I have.

I have yet to find a single game on the iphone that I actually wanted to play for more than a couple of minutes at a time.
Why would you play games on a portable device for more than a few minutes if you're an adult? PSP is for little kids who's parents won't buy them a console and want them out of their living rooms. Essentially it's a platform for neglected children. Any real game would be played on a 360, PC (or PS3). I don't know what kind of work you're in but I don't have time to sit down and do any kind of serious gaming during the day or while out and about. Short games and apps with very friendly user interfaces are what's needed on portable devices. Racing games are retarded for any mobile device and epic MMO/RPG type games aren't fitting for phone sized devices (maybe iPad!). Timewasters are exactly what mobile games should be as that's what they're doing...filling in time on a break or lunch...while you're waiting for the adult movie to start in your hotel room, etc. I want to be settled into my favorite chair, all comfy, with all my home amenities if I'm going to play any sort of deeply involved game.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Winnow wrote:
miir wrote:

Why would you play games on a portable device for more than a few minutes if you're an adult? PSP is for little kids who's parents won't buy them a console and want them out of their living rooms. Essentially it's a platform for neglected children. Any real game would be played on a 360, PC (or PS3). I don't know what kind of work you're in but I don't have time to sit down and do any kind of serious gaming during the day or while out and about. Short games and apps with very friendly user interfaces are what's needed on portable devices. Racing games are retarded for any mobile device and epic MMO/RPG type games aren't fitting for phone sized devices (maybe iPad!). Timewasters are exactly what mobile games should be as that's what they're doing...filling in time on a break or lunch...while you're waiting for the adult movie to start in your hotel room, etc. I want to be settled into my favorite chair, all comfy, with all my home amenities if I'm going to play any sort of deeply involved game.
Then they definitely don't make sense for you. However, there are about a bajillion people out there that don't share your sentiment. If you had a long train commute to work every day I have a feeling you might feel different.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Funkmasterr wrote: If you had a long train commute to work every day I have a feeling you might feel different.
That time would be for listening to podcasts and looking up skirts.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I commute roughly 90 minutes every day... that's at least 7.5 hours/week.
I do a fair amount of portable gaming.
Short games and apps with very friendly user interfaces are what's needed on portable devices.
A lot of people like those kinds of games.
A lot more people prefer more indepth and serious kinds of games.
Racing games are retarded for any mobile device
They are only retarded for ipod/ipad because those devices don't have a control scheme that works.
Tilting and twisting is far too imprecise and screen based controls take up too much screen real estate and are also lack the precision required for racing games.

Excellent racing games are plentiful on the PSP and DS.

MMO/RPG type games aren't fitting for phone sized devices
You've said a lot of stupid things in the past but this has gotta be one of the single most moronic thing you have ever posted.
Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star are two examples of insanely popular MMO/RPG games on the PSP.
The DS has a fucking ENORMOUS back catalog of RPGs and many of the best reviewed games on the DS are RPGs.
More than 90% of the games I have played on the DS are RPGs.

Timewasters are exactly what mobile games should be
Maybe for the iphone, but I'm pretty sure that the the majority of the 200+ million people who own a DS or PSP would disagree with you.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

whining miir wrote: Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star are two examples of insanely popular MMO/RPG games on the PSP.
Of the games I don't have access to on my currently owned platforms, Monster Hunter is the one I'd like to try out the most. I didn't like Phantasy Star on the Xbox.

As for driving games on the iPad, just get this simple add-on and you're all set!

miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

I laugh my ass off every time I see those wheel 'peripherals' for the iphone/pad/ :lol:
Chidoro
Way too much time!
Way too much time!

Post by Chidoro »

It looks pretty damn cool. Awfully big looking though.

Battery life and cost seem to be most important, and that could be a challenge for something w/ these type of specs
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

Hasn't there been some features removed already? I thought I read that somewhere. Less memory I think. Anyway...
Strong evidence that Sony's Next Generation Portable would actually be called PS Vita emerged earlier this week. That's still unconfirmed, but Vita is now looking more likely, thanks to a new source: Sony itself.
Vita? Livin la Vita Loca! I guess it beats PSPGo though.

I guess it's a good way to test a name though before something is released.. Just throw it out there as a rumor and gauge the response. If it doesn't go over just change it to something else.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--