Gran Turismo 5

Get off the damn computer, and play with your TV, it misses you!

Moderators: Funkmasterr, noel

Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: Dandelo19
PSN ID: ToPsHoTTa471

Gran Turismo 5

Post by Funkmasterr »

Got this the other day, and been playing it a bit.

I'll start with the obvious, the graphics. They are fantastic, I had my dad take a look at it, he hasn't played video games since we first got our NES in the 80's. He was sitting watching it and was really confused about how they took footage of real cars driving and made it so I could control it, until I showed him the cockpit view and he realized it wasn't real.

At first I was really annoyed by the way the cars handle, until miir suggested I turn off all the driving assist stuff, which ended up making it quite a bit better. I turn ABS and traction control off completely, I'm not sure why the fuck you'd want that shit active in a car you were racing anyhow. I still feel that with many of the cars, I should be able to throw them into a turn more, but I may also just need to practice more - I haven't played a racing game forever.

The AI of the other drivers is good, which can be frustrating. They will try to cock block you any chance they get, and they are frequently successful. This frustration can be amplified 100 fold when you are doing some of the license/special races that require you to not go off the track or run into any other cars.

There are a ton of different game modes to play, off the top of my head. There is Arcade mode, then there is regular mode (forget what it's called). In the regular mode you have a ton of things to do; A Spec (usual races like in previous GT games) B Spec (you coach AI drivers to race for you), Special races (things like Kart racing, Nascar, AMG Academy, Top Gear track events, etc), and License tests like in previous GT games, and photo mode, where you can travel to different locations from around the world and take detailed photos of your cars with all the different manual adjustments you would have on a camera. There is also online racing, which I haven't touched - and track creation mode where you can make your own track and race on it with friends, etc.

You have a home page where you access all of this, and you customize it the way you want. This includes a picture (either from your pics on your ps3 or a picture you take in game), a background you choose, and some personal info and playstyle type stuff you set and can choose to have displayed to everyone or just your friends. Your friends or other people online can then come to your page and check all this out, as well as how many trophies you've got, etc.

Overall I'd say this is probably the racing game to get. I never get much into racing games, but there has always been something about Gran Turismo that appeals to me over others. I'll let you guys know how the online racing works when I get a chance to try it out, I'll have to show miir how to play one of these nights :)
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Re: Gran Turismo 5

Post by Fairweather Pure »

It's so hard to tell where the hype ends and reality begins with GT5. It has an 86 on Metacritic (Forza 3 has 92) and is experiencing backlash from it's fans. Not on the level of say, FF13, but reading other boards I am surprised by what I am seeing. I think the fact that the game has been delayed so many times and development has taken such a long time that it is being held to a different standard. Things like the inability to look up and down in cockpit mode and the bad shadows are things people may have overlooked with other titles, but I think people were expecting an unprecedented level of polish and they're just not getting it. Only having weather effects and day/night cycles only on specific tracks, and only having 200 premium cars (only, lol) are coming as a shock to a lot of people that bought it. Probably the #1 thing I see as a complaint is the driving interface and lack of customization. That one is upsetting a lot of people because you were able to do that with PG4 and every racing sim since. The fact that I cannot DL and play a demo makes me a tad nervous over what I might be getting into.

Then there are all the launch day jitters, like slowing down single player menus and the official solution being "unplug your PS3 from the Internet". The good news is that PD is already releasing a patch on the 27th to hopefully fix the single player issues and screen tearing. They go on to make it sound like they'll be updating the game on a pretty regular basis which is awesome.

Like I said, it's just so hard to distinguish between what is legit and hyperbole at his point. Of the people that actually played both Forza 3 and GT5, it seems most prefer Forza. However, how do I know that's not simply the fanboi speaking? Actually, that's for either opinion! I'm going to take a "wait and see approach". Technical racers are not really my thing, but I kind of want one to see if my tastes have changes over the years or maybe I have a different frame of mind and can enjoy them now. Until then, I'm going to play Blur, Split Second, and Mod Nation Racers! Both GT5 and Forza 3 will be sale games for me.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I haven't seen any screen tearing or bad shadows, yet. Most of those complaints seem ridiculously nitpicky.

My only real complaint is a intended game mechanic. In a lot of the license tests and special races, you cannot go off the track (stupid, but I can deal with it) nor can you run into any other cars - which is absolutely fucking retarded. Combining these two things makes it almost completely impossible to actually come in 1st place on these races, and I want to get the damn gold medals... The part that frustrates me even more is these same standards don't apply to the computer racers, hell, half the time if they run into me I get disqualified.
Fairweather Pure
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: SillyEskimo

Post by Fairweather Pure »

Does it have rubber banding? No one has memtioned that, so I assume not.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: miir1

Post by miir »

This is the bast racing game I have ever played.
The amount of content is just staggering.

This is a must buy for anyone who loves cars (and everything arount cars)

My biggest complaint is that the script Jeff Gordon reads is slightly different than the subtitles.
I've got 99 problems and I'm not dealing with any of them - Lay-Z
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Another complaint I have, and pretty much every racing game can take notes here as far as I'm concerned... I should never, ever, under any circumstance, start a race in any place on the grid but first, period. Find another way to make the game hard.
Boogahz
Super Poster!
Super Poster!
XBL Gamertag: corin12
PSN ID: boog144

Post by Boogahz »

that one was a joke, right?
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I was shit wasted last night trying to beat the Grand Tour and may have got a little mad. I do think its a tad dumb though that for many races you get started in 16th place and are supposed to get in first without going off the track or touching another car...

Btw, I've officially given up on getting all gold medals, it borders on impossible. The special events on the top gear test track are obscenely hard.
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

I got my first nice cars last night. I bought a GTR specV '09 and did every single mod to it you can, I think it got up to around 820 HP or something. This car is crazy, I feel like I'm cheating when I race with it.. Any race I can enter in with this is pretty much over before it even starts.

So I took this and did a few 5 race circuits last night, the second one I did I got a '09 Bugatti Veyron for getting all gold.... I was unaware this car was also AWD, and after I did what I could to it, it's over 1200 HP :lol: It controls surprisingly well considering it's basically a fucking rocket with wheels. I can't wait to try it out on a few races tonight.

Kinda odd, but after that same circuit I won the Veyron on I got the end movie, and the trophy for it. I'm only A Spec level 18, and like 50% completion of the game.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Got myself a 458 Italia last night.
What a thrill to toss that thing around Monza and Nurburgring GP. :D
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

I'm not sure what you did to it but the Veyron is nothing like a "rocket on wheels".
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

It's 1100 hp and awd.. Lol. It might not be the best on the super turny tracks, but if you're coming to that conclusion elsewhere you either don't have it tuned right or aren't very good :/

The tuning could very well be it... I've had to spend a fair amount of time reading up on the different settings and getting stuff right for certain races.
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Aslanna wrote:I'm not sure what you did to it but the Veyron is nothing like a "rocket on wheels".
0-100 in 2.4 secs and a top speed of 400+ is pretty rocket-like.
It's the fastest production road car ever made.

The 458 Ialia is a snail by comparison... but it's also 1/10 the price. :lol:
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

Yeah, it's not the best car in the game by any means, but it serves it's purpose. I actually used it last night to beat "Like The Wind" (the Daytona race), just had to get it tuned right.

That's the thing with most of the really good cars in this game. They're good, but they are only really at a fraction of their potential until they're properly tuned. My GTR-SpecV for example, it has a fairly noticeable understeering problem stock, but I have it tuned to corner pretty damn good, it can win pretty much any race aside from those that are against multi million dollar race cars with ease.
Aslanna
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Aslanna »

miir wrote:0-100 in 2.4 secs and a top speed of 400+ is pretty rocket-like.
It's the fastest production road car ever made.
I am aware of the Veyron and its stats. I was mostly questioning his surprise that it "handles surprisingly well" as it is a refined automobiles despite its power and not so much a "rocket with wheels" as that phrase to me conjures up images of drag racers and such.
Have You Hugged An Iksar Today?

--
Funkmasterr
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Funkmasterr »

P.S. Aslanna - if can bring yourself to do it, you should add me on PSN. Always fun to have more people to compare your stats to, etc.

One guy on my friends list passed me in game completion this week, I'm going to have to remedy that this weekend. :lol:
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

So GT5 is sitting at 84 on metacritic... Test Drive Unlimited 2 is sitting at 75.

I don't know how anyone can even put those games in the same fucking universe.
There are a couple of sites that actually rated TDU2 higher than GT5. :lol:

I don't know if any of you have actually tried TDU2 but it's awesomely awful.
Online play was virtually nonexistant for the first week, driving physics are absolutely bonkers, the voice acting is hillarious, the story is ridiculous and the graphics in some areas look like they are from a low budget PS2 title.
masteen
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by masteen »

miir wrote:... the graphics in some areas look like they are from a low budget PS2 title.
Well, at least it has that in common with GT5.
"There is at least as much need to curb the cruel greed and arrogance of part of the world of capital, to curb the cruel greed and violence of part of the world of labor, as to check a cruel and unhealthy militarism in international relationships." -Theodore Roosevelt
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

masteen wrote:
miir wrote:... the graphics in some areas look like they are from a low budget PS2 title.
Well, at least it has that in common with GT5.
GT4 was a high budget PS2 title :)
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Closing in on 6 million GT5 is now the best selling PS3 exclusive.

What a disappointment.
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

miir wrote:Closing in on 6 million GT5 is now the best selling PS3 exclusive.

What a disappointment.
How's that Compare to Halo 3?
miir
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by miir »

Fuck off troll
Winnow
Super Poster!
Super Poster!

Post by Winnow »

Wow, sounds like it must not be the most successful console game in history!

Saw a recent survey that determined 2 out of 3 people wish they would have bought a 40.00 cable instead of buying FFXIV.